Connection between reader and the deck

Liannon

I have just read the posts regarding whether a beginner's empahasis should be on books or cards. This has been something I too have pondered lately along with other matters related to tarot.

Since joining AT I have come to realise that many people read with more than one deck. At this stage I only have one deck - Druidcraft. I feel very strongly drawn to the deck and read the cards intuitively and invariably find I have gleaned the same message as the book suggests. I have looked at other decks and draw a blank: it feels like there is no connection between me and the deck.

If I learn the meanings of the cards I could read any deck but I'd prefer to work with a deck I feel connected too. Have others had this experience? Is it just a matter of time before I find another deck I am drawn to and can 'read'?

Mellifluous

Well, it could happen. Or not. It took me about 15 years (approximately) before I ever even thought about getting another deck. lol I never once felt the need or even curiosity until then.

(Though I did not and do not read purely intuitively.)

So, I guess, ultimately you just never know. Chances are always 50/50. :)

Gavriela

Difficult question. I could be very wrong here, but I don't think you could go from the Druidcraft to the Hadar Marseille to the Fantastic Menagerie (which claims to be RWS based but isn't, not really - it's JJ Grandville-based, full stop) and end up being able to read the cards.

But you might, and you do need to learn a deck, especially when you're starting. Not A Bunch of Decks, where you never learn any of them properly.

I think learning a deck will show you how tarot works in a general sense, and some of that knowledge will certainly be useful in any other tarot system - but they aren't all the same.

If they were, I don't think we'd have as many decks out there as we do. Some of that is just marketing crap, but there are many, many different expressions of tarot in the world.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/druidcraft/

http://www.fantasticmenagerie.com/Cups.htm

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/hadar-marseilles/

GryffinSong

I think you're really fortunate to have such a strong connection to the first deck you really tried. Some connect to multiple decks. Some buy bazillions because they don't feel that connection to any of them. And of course most of us are somewhere in between.

Years ago, when I was doing a lot of tarot (just got back into it recently) I kept being drawn back to the Hanson Roberts. I thought it was way too cutesy, but it spoke to me. Always. I might have to buy another copy of it, because it's in storage somewhere and I can't seem to find it. :(

Libra1

I'm probably one of those people who are somewhere in between as far as establishing a connection between myself and my Universal deck. And I think the advice of getting to know one deck is well taken. There is so much to think about and absorb in a given deck anyway that it is important to take the time you need to familiarize yourself with it. I've had my deck for several months now and have become familiar with some of the cards in the major arcana. And while I know a little something about the cards in the minor arcana, I still have a long way to go before I feel comfortable with them.

Liannon

Thank you

Thank you all for your responses and guidance on this matter. I will spend time happily getting to know my deck without worrying about others at this stage.

Gavriela, I looked at the cards you sent the links to and you are right. I couldn't go from my deck to the others.

Many thanks

balenciaga

Liannon,
Many people also collect decks for beauty or because they feel drawn to them. They may not read with all of them. Some people have mastered various methods over a lifetime of tarot work.
Since you are comfortable with your deck, then do not worry. You will move on when something else calls to you - another deck, another method. You may develop a curiousity or require an alternate understanding from where you are now, down the tarot road:)

Gavriela

That's true. I've been reading cards for over 40 years, and taught for about 12 years. The wonderful thing about students is that they're so smart they make you work really hard as a teacher to try and stay ahead of them :)

You won't always, and they'll always give you surprising new insights, but it certainly stretches you in ways that nothing else will do. As does reading for other folks.

I can read most tarot systems, but there are decks I've seen I wouldn't be able to make heads nor tails of. I know a number of other reading systems - some of them I'm very proficient in, some - I can tell you what they are, others - ??? - even now. I don't think anybody gets all of it.

Thing is, your deck is working for you - that's what's important. And someday you might want to expand and learn a different system, and that's okay, too - but stay with what's working for now, keep discovering new insights into it. Really get to know it. And maybe you'll learn other systems, or maybe you'll end up being a normal person, unlike us obsessive freaks, and you'll find all you need in one pack of cards. I could narrow down mine to three or four decks if I absolutely had to, and I'm no collector by the standards around here.

I'm glad you found a deck that you really connect with first time out - maybe there's more than just luck involved in that :)

Ange

The deck I have clicked with is the Victorian Flower Oracle.......but I love the look, artwork and colours of some other decks....so I have got a couple of them.

I think the best way is to just do your own thing, to have many, or to collect, or stay with the one you are happy with....:)
Ang x

Umbrae

Liannon said:
If I learn the meanings of the cards I could read any deck but I'd prefer to work with a deck I feel connected too. Have others had this experience? Is it just a matter of time before I find another deck I am drawn to and can 'read'?
First off, we’re all wired a bit different (thank the gods) so mileage may vary.

Some will tell you to go ahead, transfer meanings between decks. Some will tell you that each individual artist brings certain things into that deck that each deck should be read as a separate entity.

I’ll tell you both views are correct. Mix them up.

Each artist brings tools to help you grow. Incorporate. Merge. Just because you get a shiny new wrench does not mean that you must toss out all the other tools in the box.

When, and if you’re ready to move onto more decks, it’ll happen. I read with one and only one deck for 29 years. Now I own many decks, but still only read with less than 10 (and that number changes…gee what week is this?).

Progress at your own speed. Grow at your own pace.

Remember, a tree does not ask “How tall shall I grow?”

Someday, you may even find yourself reading with a deck that you share zero connection with!