PDA

View Full Version : Fluff Posting Annoyances

Ophiel
23-12-2002, 22:02
No doubt different people have different motives for participating in our group. Some want to find/share information and insights into the cards and topics surrounding them. Others, I suspect, want a sense of community, and like rubbing bytes with others who share an interest in Tarot and related topics.

I’ve searched the FAQ and cannot find a detailed description of what reaching new plateaus (based on the number of posts) in this group will get me. A pay raise? Do I earn more posting here as a citizen than as a resident? I bet the Web-wizards and Web-mistresses are pulling in the big bucks, the megabucks, worth millions of bytes a year.

I am wondering if making this information available (the number of posts by a particular member) really furthers his/her participation in the group? [I hope you don’t see through me and realize my “true” motives…that so many are so far ahead of me I know I can never surpass them!] Is there a pecking order here, that the more posts, the more authority and clout? Obviously, someone responding to a question/statement, even if that message is no more than “yeah, me too!” has more substance if the poster has 758 posts as opposed to 27.

Belonging is an important part of our community. I realize that. At the same time, it is frustrating to forge through page after page of some threads, with the pages filled with “yeah, me too!” and nothing else that furthers the discussion.

Have you ever thought of removing the levels and making everyone equal under the eyes of the law (that doesn’t apply in the U.S., however) and in this group?

This is merely a suggestion, and hopefully will generate some discussion on the ‘problem.’ What? “I” am the problem, you say? Oopss… ;)

PS - I hope I get a posting credit for this forum, too.

wavebreaker
23-12-2002, 23:08
As for the different statuses: all they will get you is a different title (Citizen after 100 posts and Elder after 500 posts), and more choice in avatars (and after 500 posts you can use your own customised avatar). There is no such thing as payment or posting credit or anything involved.

As for the value of the number of posts: there is no real value and there is no pecking order. A post by someone with just 6 posts is just as valuable as a post by someone with 1000 posts. So everyone is equal, regardless of the number of posts.

Also: posting just to get more posts is definitely frowned upon and considered spamming.

SherryZoned
24-12-2002, 00:37
Cuz Id ont know how to quote properly..I put stars by my replies!

Originally posted by Ophiel [/i]
[B]No doubt different people have different motives for participating in our group. Some want to find/share information and insights into the cards and topics surrounding them. Others, I suspect, want a sense of community, and like rubbing bytes with others who share an interest in Tarot and related topics.

***Yes..those are why people come here. Many people in their community are unable to come out. this gives them a place to talk about their interests.**

I’ve searched the FAQ and cannot find a detailed description of what reaching new plateaus (based on the number of posts) in this group will get me. A pay raise? Do I earn more posting here as a citizen than as a resident? I bet the Web-wizards and Web-mistresses are pulling in the big bucks, the megabucks, worth millions of bytes a year.

***Tarotlady said it best.. The Webmistress does not get big bucks..The only bucks she get is..by a paid subscription and if you buy thru one of the sites such as Amazon.com and a few other sites. **

I am wondering if making this information available (the number of posts by a particular member) really furthers his/her participation in the group? [I hope you don’t see through me and realize my “true” motives…that so many are so far ahead of me I know I can never surpass them!] Is there a pecking order here, that the more posts, the more authority and clout? Obviously, someone responding to a question/statement, even if that message is no more than “yeah, me too!” has more substance if the poster has 758 posts as opposed to 27.

***No there is not a pecking order..It is fun to see how many posts ..For how long have you been here..WOOHOO i reached 500 can get a custom avatar..Also for the Reading Exchange in particular..You have to have 25 posts to be able to be involved in there.**

Belonging is an important part of our community. I realize that. At the same time, it is frustrating to forge through page after page of some threads, with the pages filled with “yeah, me too!” and nothing else that furthers the discussion.

***Sometimes, say in a birthday post..You do just say me too..Most people try to say more..Sometimes there is nothing else to say..We dont like spamming..but once and awhile it is ok to say..Yeah me too!! Like yeah i wish you a happy birthday..or Yeah that is so great you went pro! being supportive. after you reach a certain number of posts..LOL it wears off.. Then your like..OMG I made that many posts?? sheesh where did the time go! Did i do my laundry today? hmmm NO ididnt ..I posted way to much!!**

Have you ever thought of removing the levels and making everyone equal under the eyes of the law (that doesn’t apply in the U.S., however) and in this group?

** I felt i explained it in the above.**

This is merely a suggestion, and hopefully will generate some discussion on the ‘problem.’ What? “I” am the problem, you say? Oopss… ;)

**Good Question: Are ya being a problem? hmmm we shall see :D**

PS - I hope I get a posting credit for this forum, too.
**Yep..would you like not to get credit? I am sure it can be arranged.**.HEHE

Diana
24-12-2002, 01:01
Ophiel, you always make me smile. :)

I can assure you that no-one gets any kudos, free tarot decks, or chocolate cake for dessert when they reach a certain post count. And I doubt Solandia minds who posts a lot or who doesn't, because this doesn't affect her in any way materially speaking. Although I'm pretty sure she gets a thrill when she sees how many people are crazy about the forums that she has provided us with. (Bad sentence, teachers always told me not to end my sentence with a preposition.)

But I'll tell you a secret. Come closer so I can whisper it in your ear: *Diana lowers her voice and tells Ophiel: once you have reached 1000 posts, you are assured of having a special seat with a velvet cushion next to the Tarot Gods when you die. And when you reach 2000, you can even choose the colour of the cushion.*

Redwood: stop trying to listen! This is a secret! :laugh:

Honest Ophiel, I think people just enjoy seeing their post-count. It's like counting the kilometers your car has already run, or counting the amounts of times you've run around the block when you're jogging. It's not important, but it's kind of nice to know.

As to us all being equal, we ARE. All of us. Nothing Orwellian here.

Demonesse
28-12-2002, 16:44
Diana lowers her voice and tells Ophiel: once you have reached 1000 posts, you are assured of having a special seat with a velvet cushion next to the Tarot Gods when you die. And when you reach 2000, you can even choose the colour of the cushion.*

-----Diana

What! You didn't tell ME that! And I thought I was your favourite Demonesse. NOW I finally know the true purpose of my "Yeah, me too!" posts - I was experiencing divine interference. Bah!

And to contribute my two cents' worth, while I assume there IS some "fluff posting" that goes on to ensure the number of posts is bumped up to 100, which allows a change of avatar from the multicoloured versions of the lotus (I for one admit I find my avatar-switching abilities a lot of fun), I think most posts do contribute to the discussion, even if it is merely to voice support - this is after all an online community where everyone is free to speak their minds, be it an eloquent diatribe - or not.

tarotbear
29-12-2002, 02:08
Titles are important to people who place an importance in titles.

Solandia has posted ( somewhere around here) that 'fluff' responses like 'Yeah, Right!' or 'I have that deck, too!' should be deleted, but no one, not even the moderators has time to play forum-nazi and get rid of them. The best thing you can do ( all the moderators shudder when tarotbear says this) is hit the 'notify moderator' button and wait...but then, too, one of the past problems here was someone who decided that the moderator job was to act as a censor to things they as an individual did not like, regardless of their relevance, and that is not allowed, either.

"If you want a rainbow, you must have the rain."

Having lived through at least two complete crashes of Aeclectic, my posting count is really (as if I care) a lot higher; I hope that purple velvet cushion has an adequate back support attached to it!

Kaz
29-12-2002, 03:15
back support?????
hehe, ya old man, we will get you a throne on wheels ok ? :P

kaz

Osher
20-01-2003, 07:08
Personally, I think that if someone is being annoying, then the answer is a quiet pm from one of the administrators is the best answer, no?

However, rules I think would be a problem, as it is quite a subjective area.

Take the 'New members' area. All we are saying is just 'hello from me too!'. Can't be regulated methinks.

Just my contribution!

juice
24-01-2003, 21:05
Actually my posting count doesn't seem to have changed in the last couple of weeks. Or, how many times do I have to pass 250 for it to stick?

More importantly is advise on how I handle the me too posts. If I seem to be the first person in a forum to notice a new person I'll say hello. It's terrifying to be unnoticed. If I see a thread with 4 or 5 or more Me Too's, I don't add another even if it is big congratz someone has coming unless I have something of substance to add to that discussion. I might add a congratz or hello to another thread. I'm not doing ti to be mean. I just don't want to add to a volume of stuff I wouldn't want to wade through.