PDA

View Full Version : Oracle section.

Ange
17-06-2008, 01:31
In the oracle section, there are specific areas to cover readings, decks etc, but there isn't really anywhere to just put ordinary stuff......and I wondered if sometime, admin might consider making a new section for trading decks, discussing books, and just general chit chat re oracles...:)

Thanks
Ang x

Sulis
17-06-2008, 01:38
Hi Ange,

You can trade oracle decks in the Tarot Trading forum.

SpiritOfTheDogz
17-06-2008, 04:22
In the oracle section, there are specific areas to cover readings, decks etc, but there isn't really anywhere to just put ordinary stuff......and I wondered if sometime, admin might consider making a new section for trading decks, discussing books, and just general chit chat re oracles...:)

Thanks
Ang x

I was thinking that a couple of days ago, i know you could discuss books in the tarot section and trade oracles in that section also but a "talking oracle" section is definately missed and often i find I want to post something that is not deck related as such, is not a reading and not studying, but have to pick one and hope for the best.

Paul

Ange
17-06-2008, 06:03
Plus, what was on my mind, is that if anyone for whatever reason is more into oracles than tarot, then they might not go into the tarot sections and would miss the posts.

I know that I skip quite a few myself.
Ang x

SpiritOfTheDogz
17-06-2008, 07:43
And vise versa;)
I bet a lot of tarot only people miss out on the three sections there are for oracles

Ange
17-06-2008, 18:50
I think there seems to be more people using the section now....do you think so Paul?
Ang x

SpiritOfTheDogz
17-06-2008, 20:08
It doesn't matter how much busier it is at the moment, how long will that trend last, if you look at the stats there are over 600000 posts in the tarot sections but only 1/10th that in the oracle section with about 60000 posts. So I suppose you have to understand why there aren't more sections in the oracle part if its only 1/10th as busy, but on the otherhand would other sections get more people visiting it if there were one or two more sections to it?

Difficult one really, the stats wel favour the tarot don't they;)

Paul

Ange
17-06-2008, 21:11
Yes they are. But I'm wondering if there was maybe another section with the oracle ones...one that was more an open discussion type of area....maybe more would post. We have one for decks, and one for readings, but not a general discussion one as there seems to be for tarot......with the 'Talking Tarot' section.

If there was something like that, then maybe we could incorporate trading, talking etc into there.

Ang x

Sulis
18-06-2008, 00:32
I don't think we need another trading section.. The Tarot Trading forum copes very well with tarot, books and oracle trades.

SpiritOfTheDogz
18-06-2008, 00:56
But I'm wondering if there was maybe another section with the oracle ones...one that was more an open discussion type of area....maybe more would post. We have one for decks, and one for readings, but not a general discussion one as there seems to be for tarot......with the 'Talking Tarot' section.

I totally agree, in my opinion (and in Ange's) a general talk section is really needed for oracle, stuff that don't fit in the three available sections ARE being posted and therefore being put in inapproprate sections.

Paul

Ange
18-06-2008, 08:24
With me finding that I am getting more and more into the oracles, and turning away from the tarot, then I sometimes don't feel that I would want to post trades etc in the tarot section, and maybe there are others that feel the same.

Like now, I have used the user controls to 'shut off' quite a lot of the tarot sections that I have no interest in......like the Thoth section for example....

Maybe others could put their veiws too....

Ang x

Gavriela
18-06-2008, 09:12
Most historical oracles really don't hold much interest for the English-speaking world. That's just how it is. Ever browse Ebay's oracles section and put a - on 'Doreen Virtue' and see the number of decks drop from 3000 to 200?

I have.

In a perfect world, I think it would be great to have forums for Lenormand and Lenormand-style decks, Victorian flower language, sibillas, pop-decks, playing cards systems, runes, and what have you. But this isn't a perfect world.

As it stands, Aeclectic is the biggest English-speaking forum for oracles. And I could be wrong, but interest in pop stuff stays pretty steady, and for the historicals - it seems to go in waves.

Whether it would be worth it to open an Oracle Talk section? I honestly don't know. Oracle study groups seem to come and go pretty quickly in the study section, and sometimes get revived, but how long has it been since anything substantial was posted about, say, the Symbolon? (Mentioned because that one is a heavy deck, and it would be pretty hard to exhaust the possibilities). You can always do a search if you're interested in a particular deck - somebody has likely mentioned it at some point unless it's brand new.

I'm not sure it could be better-structured. It seems a new section would be the same mish-mash of different oracles as we've got now, and human nature being what it is, people would post wherever they post anyway. It'd also be a hell of a job for the mods to try to figure out which threads properly belonged in the 'talk' section instead of the 'study' section, etc.

We're probably fine the way we are. If you do want to do a study on a particular deck and there isn't one going, or none to be revived, you can alwas start a new one.

SpiritOfTheDogz
18-06-2008, 09:22
Gavriela, you post seamed to relate to mainly "studying" whereas that isn't the issue, we know there is a study section what we don't have is a section to talk about things that don't fit anywhere else and have to end up having to put it anywhere and wait to see if it gets moved.

Paul

Pao
18-06-2008, 13:42
I agree. i would like to see and "your oracle readings" section so we can put the readings we have trouble with like in the tarot section. but I know that there is no interest in oracles like there is in tarot unfortunately so it might never happen. we should just keep dreaming.

Solandia
18-06-2008, 17:06
The Oracle Decks (http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=63) forum is really the catch-all for general oracle discussions. And your own oracle readings can be posted in the Oracle Readings (http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=100) board.

~ Solandia

SpiritOfTheDogz
18-06-2008, 17:41
That makes perfect sence...post general talk in the decks section which if you did that in tarot it would be moved to tarot talk, and post your readings in the readings section...now is that readings been offered or readings needing to be discussed.

Paul

Ange
18-06-2008, 20:40
Talking tarot quite clearly says that the section is for any discussions, whilst the Tarot decks section is for decks only. I myself have posted in the Tarot Decks section and had my post moved to the Talking Tarot.

I feel that the same should apply to the oracle part of the forum too, if only to keep a continuity for people posting.

There is very often something that I would like to post re the oracle cards, which wouldn't be appropriate in the Decks section, and which I wouldn't like moving up to the 'Talking Tarot' section.

Ang x

Sulis
18-06-2008, 23:35
There is very often something that I would like to post re the oracle cards, which wouldn't be appropriate in the Decks section, and which I wouldn't like moving up to the 'Talking Tarot' section.

Ange as Solandia has said, it's perfectly fine to put general talk about oracles in the Oracle Decks section... If it's about an oracle then it won't be moved to Talking Tarot.

As for trading, the Tarot Trading area copes very well at the moment with oracle trades as well as tarot and book trades. I see no reason to have another trading section at all.

SpiritOfTheDogz
18-06-2008, 23:48
Why should oracle people have to mix up deck talk with general talk when tarot don't have to, it isn't that difficult to add another categary (I've run boards in the pasts and no it can be done in just a few minutes) so why is it a big issue to do it?

Paul

Ange
03-07-2008, 18:19
Ok.....so what about a section for oracle games?

The Lenormond games, as nice as they are, seem to be making it difficult to find the other threads, and are swamping the oracle reading section. Now there's nothing wrong with running through a whole deck, but when everything is confined to one section, I think this rather proves mine and Spirit of the Dog's point....

No offence intended to the Leormond folks....:)

Ang x

SpiritOfTheDogz
03-07-2008, 19:32
Ok.....so what about a section for oracle games?

The Lenormond games, as nice as they are, seem to be making it difficult to find the other threads, and are swamping the oracle reading section. Now there's nothing wrong with running through a whole deck, but when everything is confined to one section, I think this rather proves mine and Spirit of the Dog's point....

No offence intended to the Leormond folks....:)

Ang x

Totally agree but I bet a sub section would be out of the question as there isn't enough oracle people it wouldn't be worth it.

So we have to put up with 19 of these lenormand games on page one of the readings leaving only 11 spaces for other reading topics...I'm sure that would make perfect sence to some:(

Paul

Gavriela
03-07-2008, 19:32
I'm a Lenormand-folk and yes, it is kinda spammy to have 36 alphabet-card game threads going on at once - I was hoping they'd sink rapidly to the bottom, but they haven't - yet. One or two at a time is fine and there are other oracle games in there that are good, but that one is a bit much.

Give it a week and it'll go away, irritating as it is at the moment.

If you really want to change it would you and Paul be willing to mod the past few years of posts and move them into different oracle forums? Because that would be the big logistical problem.

Well, that and aside from games, the oracles forums sometimes go for days without a post, save for decks, which sometimes gets several posts a day.

SpiritOfTheDogz
03-07-2008, 19:37
If you really want to change it would you and Paul be willing to mod the past few years of posts and move them into different oracle forums? Because that would be the big logistical problem.

I get the feeling that would be a bigger job than it sounds...

Anyway all I'm suggesting is a sub forum for the lenormond games, so does that mean searching to see how many other lenormond games there have been for the past few years?

Paul

silverr
03-07-2008, 21:00
Anyway all I'm suggesting is a sub forum for the lenormond games...
Lenormand - as fun as it can be - is only one oracle, and I think it would be a mistake to make a subforum just for Lenormand games.

A subforum for any oracle-based games would be nifty, though. :)

SpiritOfTheDogz
03-07-2008, 21:06
Lenormand - as fun as it can be - is only one oracle, and I think it would be a mistake to make a subforum just for Lenormand games.

So it would be perfectly fine to start a new game for every oracle and each card have it's own game...were would it all end?

When people aren't coming to the oracle readings because all they see are lenormand games, is a bit rediculous

Anyway here we go

If Ange wants to start a game for each card of the Victorian flower and I'll start one for each card of the Radiant Sun

OK they may not be as well supported as lemorand but I'm sure a few other people would get peeved if that's all they saw for a few days.

A subforum for any oracle-based games would be nifty, though. :)

I think that was suggested but fell on deaf ears:(

Paul

silverr
03-07-2008, 21:09
I think maybe I was unclear. A subforum for any oracle-based games would include game threads for Lenormand-based games. :)

SpiritOfTheDogz
03-07-2008, 21:12
To be honest I can't see what difference that would make, nearly all posts on the readibngs page are games anyway, there's only about three or four that aren't so it wouldn't make any significant difference, a seperate subforum for games is still going to have 19 lenomard games and 11 others on a page

Paul

silverr
03-07-2008, 21:22
To be honest I can't see what difference that would make, nearly all posts on the readibngs page are games anyway, there's only about three or four that aren't so it wouldn't make any significant difference, a seperate subforum for games is still going to have 19 lenomard games and 11 others on a page

Paul
Yes, to have a subforum for Oracle Games would mean that posts dealing with oracle readings and other oracle discussions would not be competing for listings space with oracle games. So all the Oracle Games would be in a separate area and easy to locate for those who enjoy the games, while the readings and discussions would remain easy to locate without game threads "in the way." Not an original idea; it's the same way the Tarot sections are set up. :)

SpiritOfTheDogz
03-07-2008, 21:28
Yes, to have a subforum for Oracle Games would mean that posts dealing with oracle readings and other oracle discussions would not be competing for listings space with oracle games. So all the Oracle Games would be in a separate area and easy to locate for those who enjoy the games, while the readings and discussions would remain easy to locate without game threads "in the way." Not an original idea; it's the same way the Tarot sections are set up. :)

How many games in the tarot section have 19 different parts to them taking up over half the first page?

Paul

Ange
04-07-2008, 01:07
This is partway going back to my first post, in that there is too much crammed into one area.....and I know from the van forum that the admins there can create another section in minutes....they have done just that twice in the last couple of days....so it's not really an 'out of the way' request.

Again, I have nothing against the games threads and the folks doing them.....but one section for it all does seem to be a bit stingy when the tarot has so many for the same subjects doesn't it....

Ang x

silverr
04-07-2008, 08:31
How many games in the tarot section have 19 different parts to them taking up over half the first page?

PaulThey have their own subforum inside the Tarot Games section.
Single Card Games (http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=133)

Gavriela
04-07-2008, 08:39
The oracles forums don't get enough traffic. So it depends on courtesy. I think that's pretty much what it comes down to.

SpiritOfTheDogz
04-07-2008, 09:39
The oracles forums don't get enough traffic

And are never likely to while things are such a muddle

Paul

Gavriela
04-07-2008, 10:54
The oracles forums never did get much traffic, Paul, and they have been here for years. If they had, and if oracles were a big deal in the English speaking world, you'd find a lot more space here and a lot more forums in general devoted to them. Most of the ones I know of are in German, Dutch, or French and if you want sibillas - Italian. Because oracles are popular reading tools in countries that speak those languages.

In the English-speaking world, it seems that the only really popular oracles are the Doreen Virtue ones, and I don't know how much forum mileage one could (or even wants to) get out of those. There isn't a whole lot of depth or history to them, as far as I've seen.

I agree that it verges on spamming to open 36 Lenormand games at once in the oracles section, but that's a courtesy matter. And if people are keeping them at the top of the forum, then it may be a case of majority rules and not spamming at all - that's what most people want. You can't please everyone. I'd rather not see them there either but there's no place else to put them, there isn't going to be a new forum created for them, and apparently most people are enjoying them or they wouldn't keep doing it - though I would ask the creator of the game to please slow down on the numbers of threads at once next time - maybe they will, and everyone can be moderately happy.

SpiritOfTheDogz
04-07-2008, 11:12
The isue here always seems to be that the oracle section isn't busy enough to keep it organized...

A lot of the forums I have either run or been on in the past open new sections to keep things organized and east to find, even if they have only had a few posts...

it seems here a section won't be opened unless it's going to get 1000's of posts, meaning if you are in the minority...i.e. if you like oracles, then you have to suffer for it.

Why is it all about numbers and not organisation?

Paul

AJ
04-07-2008, 13:05
Paul, you've mentioned several times about the games taking up most of the 25 spaces on your page.
If you will go to your user CP one of the options you have is to change items returned to 50 I think it is. I also have mine set to return 50 posts within a thread, and have grey and white as my colors here.
That may not help your campaign here, but it might make reading at AT less chunked up. If you are on dial-up you can also turn off avatars etc.

It sounds like you are fighting a losing battle here, but I support your request to get Oracle games moved to a subforum you can shut off. That can bite both ways if you also like to play and start games, but I was 100% glad to get all that stuff gone from the tarot sections. At least the non-tarot ones. :)

Ange
04-07-2008, 17:41
It would be nice if the oracle section was like the tarot section, but it looks like it is not to be.....and the talk of there not being enough users for the oracle section, there has been one less the last couple of weeks.....just after I paid out a precious £20 of my sick pay to join......all because the regular users, like me, didn't seem to be posting much.....maybe we all thought it was a drag having to try to find the thread we needed or wanted.

Having now made the final decision to stay with oracles instead of tarot, I find there is nothing for that £20, and I need'nt have bothered joining....I could have put the money towards saving for my van road tax.

One thing that there could possibly be for my £20, is someone at the top listening to this and trying to do something to help two of the top posters in the oracle section.....but again that seems out of the question.

The oracle section will never get any bigger/busier unless it made attractive to people, and at the moment it is set out at the bottom of the forum as a minority 'quirk'.....and so small a section that folks don't bother with it.

As for the post that seems to indicate that the only oracles are the Doreen Virtue ones....the Angels etc.....I have three decks now, and not one of them a Doreen Virtue one...maybe I should start a game thread on the Angel deck/Victorian flower oracle/Nature Speak....that should be good for over 100 threads.....

Anyway, I supect this is a waste of time, and the top ones of the forum are no longer even posting to answer us Paul.....

it's a shame, cos the oracle section could have been developed into a nice area.....like the LARGE tarot section is....
Ang x

Gavriela
04-07-2008, 20:17
Ange, I have well over 20 oracle decks myself, and none of them are by Doreen Virtue. Nonetheless - as a rule - that's what sells in the English-speaking world.

Astrology is another right at the bottom of the page forum and that's another subject I studied for years, published a book about. And there are some very smart people there - but it doesn't sell here either.

For me - it'd be fantastic if people wanted to talk about Lenormand, Kipperkarten, sibllas, Oracle de la Triade, Oracle Gé, Symbolon, etc. - but they don't.

The forum is here to sell tarot decks. Any extras are just that - extras. I wish it were different, too, but it isn't, and it doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon. I like tarot too but most tarot folks don't like oracles, and it's the tarot folks that the forum caters to.

Your subscription does give you access to the subscribers' sections and those mostly aren't about tarot, but if you feel strongly about it perhaps you could get a refund? I don't know.

What I do know is that oracles are not popular here and this is not an oracle forum. We get a section at the bottom of the page, games are a little popular and other than that there are perhaps a dozen posts a week. Which is maybe better than nothing? I can't force people into liking something they don't like and I doubt you can, either.

Just how it goes sometimes.

SpiritOfTheDogz
04-07-2008, 20:28
We get a section at the bottom of the page, games are a little popular and other than that there are perhaps a dozen posts a week. Which is maybe better than nothing? I can't force people into liking something they don't like and I doubt you can, either.

Just how it goes sometimes.

BUT as I've said before does quantity come before quality... There is a sub section under chat (which is general chat so isn't really tarot connected as such) which only has 34 threads

Yet an oracle sub section (which is more like tarot than general chat is) that would get more isn't an option?

Paul

Paul

FaeryGodmother
04-07-2008, 20:30
Not to diss eith Ange or Paul, but the forum is called Aeclectic Tarot So it stands to reason that the focus of the forum is tarot and all its related subjects. Oracles are another kettle of fish. I am more oracle inclined then tarot but I'm happy with the way things are because of the focus of the forum.

Having said that I do think that the Leonorand deserves its own subforum next to Frouds Faeries and Sabian Symbols. The offending Leonormand keyword games could go there along with the gazillion leonormand study threads.

Sheri
05-07-2008, 04:51
Hi everyone,

As moderators of the Oracles sections, Morwenna and I want to thank you all for the discussion regarding the Oracles sections and want to let you know that we are listening to what you are saying.

We were thrilled to see the new Lenormand games started in the forum because for several days at a time, there are frequently NO posts to Oracles sections. The intention is not to swamp out other things, but the forum works on a majority rules... threads earn their positions near the top by sustained popularity, and the game threads seem to be popular.

That said, thanks again for the discussion and suggestions, they have NOT fallen on deaf ears. :D

Bright blessings,

valeria for Oracles moderating team

raeanne
06-07-2008, 08:12
...there are frequently NO posts to Oracles sections. I logon almost everyday and I have rarely seen a day when there were NO posts in the Oracles section. Even if that was so, why does this section of the forum have to be unorganized? I would think it would be easier to get it organized now rather than waiting until there is more use and the whole thing is a bloody mess. Just my opinion as always.

FaireMaiden
06-07-2008, 11:51
Wow... a lot of 'splitting hairs' here... The reason I don't bother with the Oracle Section is because it's a mess... I just don't want to work that hard to get to the information I need or to share something I know is gonna be relegated to Page 4 in short order, hence, no ensuing discussion... If my personal file cabinet were set up like the Oracle Section here, I'd be in very REAL trouble trying to find something...

As for the 'stats' being given, most people will just walk away in frustration instead of being a squeaky-wheel... like me... I never complained about it, I just walked... If Aecletic Tarot is, indeed, here to promote and sell decks, then it would behoove them to make these small changes to the Oracle Section to boost enthusiasm and, thus, sales...

And so, boys and girls, in my not-so-very-humble-opinion, *lol*, the Oracle Section requires an additional 'Chat Section' and 'Games Section' period...

p.s. If 'Moderation' is the problem, I'll throw my hat in the ring to accomplish this and keep it maintained...

Solandia
06-07-2008, 14:55
A new Oracle Games board has just opened to hold all the keyword games...

http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=139

Unfortunately the Oracle Decks section isn't busy enough to split into sub-topics just yet. But if everyone with an interest in oracles starts new threads and keeps posting on oracle topics, it will eventually be expanded. :)

~ Solandia

FaireMaiden
06-07-2008, 16:01
Thanks so much {{{Solandia}}}!!!

It's a start... and getting all the gaming stuff out will surely make the Oracle Section a less daunting and much more enjoyable place to participate in... A most wise choice, lass!!! :D:D:D

silverr
07-07-2008, 07:49
Thank you so much, Solandia! Such a very helpful change! :grin:

dinah1
07-07-2008, 08:03
Gosh - didn't know there was a problem with the oracle section. I'm just glad there is one... :)

Ange
07-07-2008, 09:52
Valeria, thank you for your post on this....

Solandia, thank you for adding the games section.....

I've just come back from a weekend camping and am bushed....but will be having a nose and posting tomorrow...:)

Again, thank you all...
Ang x

SpiritOfTheDogz
07-07-2008, 19:42
Thanks to the mods for making things easier for us, however just one little query...there are two threads leaft on the original forum that haven't been moved yet they are games really... that's the
Past present future readings & the
Subject - Action - Modifier~Oracle

Would they be better off on the games section without sounding too picky?

Paul

strangebrew
08-07-2008, 03:54
Hi everyone,

As moderators of the Oracles sections, Morwenna and I want to thank you all for the discussion regarding the Oracles sections and want to let you know that we are listening to what you are saying.

We were thrilled to see the new Lenormand games started in the forum because for several days at a time, there are frequently NO posts to Oracles sections. The intention is not to swamp out other things, but the forum works on a majority rules... threads earn their positions near the top by sustained popularity, and the game threads seem to be popular.

That said, thanks again for the discussion and suggestions, they have NOT fallen on deaf ears. :D

Bright blessings,

valeria for Oracles moderating team

There are lots of posts to the oracles sections..every day....i can think of at least 3 or 4 people that post there daily, including me ?

Essjay
19-07-2008, 20:31
Just to add my tuppenceworth to the discussion, it would be nice to have a sub-forum for Lenormand, Kipperkarten etc. There's a wealth of great information on here but it does take a bit of searching for. I understand that the interest in Lenormand goes in peaks and troughs but also agree with those that say that easier access to information would aid its popularity.

It would be nice to see the oracle section listed under the tarot rather than at the bottom. My interest in Lenormand was started from this site. I found tarot through oracles, my very first deck of any sort was Doreen Virtue which led to an interest in tarot and so it began. Since that time eighteen months ago I have sold all of my original decks and started again, so obviously I have been able to glean a wealth of information from AT. I do feel though that Lenormand etc. are different to, say, Wisdom of Avalon or Healing with the Angels.