The IDS and one deck wonder

vhrsn

Hi to all,
I'm not sure (please forgive me) but what are the IDS (intensive deck studyes) and one deck wonders about? How do I participate in those? The deck I'd be using is my voyager taro and am blind so it's hard for me to memorise all that's on each card. Anyone have the same deck?
All the best,
Veronica

rwcarter

Hi Veronica,

In a nutshell, the IDS is a pledge to use and learn a particular deck for a defined period of time. That's different from the ODW which had more of a focus on using one of two (I believe, but I could be wrong) decks in reading for others. The ODW is focused more on reading while the IDS can be any mixture of learning, studying, using and reading.

HTH,
Rodney

ETA: Here's the link to the second round of the IDS.

vhrsn

the IDS

Hi Rodney,
Thanks for that, the link won't work though. My computer program doesn't seem to really like the link.
I'm not sure why, is it possible you can paste the link in the thread?
All the best,
Veronica

Onyx

From what I understand each uses the cards in different ways. . .

The One Deck Wonder (ODW):
It is an exercise where you pick one deck and just read, read, read and read some more with it. It was initially, I believe the pursuit to over think the cards but find their brillance in just their usage. From what I have seen it looks like many chose the International Icon for it's symbolic simplicity.

The Intensive Deck Survey (IDS):
The use of a single deck for a set period of time (Three months generally) and during that time people would apply them selves to understand the depth of their chosen decks. This may or may not have a focus on using the deck for readings. Popular exercises seem to be journalling, card study, and the incredibly challenging period of not buying any new decks.

I got them confused because I thought that the IDS meant to be exclusive to only one deck. I don't think I can keep that promise but it seems that there can be provisions made. Some are using oracles decks and I think that I might just use the deck I choose for the IDS for personal reading and use my normal reading decks for those. I might even think of just using one single reading deck. I worry that I will get bored.

I hope that this helps. It is only my take on the two activities.

Allan

thorhammer

Veronica, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I hope you're all sorted out now. Yes, in short, the ODW used the International Icon Tarot or a TdM (I think), and the focus was not study but reading, reading for others and getting waaaaay out of your comfort zone. In a way, the IDS is about delving deeper into your comfort zone, until you find the floor of it and keep digging. It's a way to knuckle down and get what you want out of the deck you choose.
Onyx said:
I got them confused because I thought that the IDS meant to be exclusive to only one deck. I don't think I can keep that promise but it seems that there can be provisions made. Some are using oracles decks and I think that I might just use the deck I choose for the IDS for personal reading and use my normal reading decks for those. I might even think of just using one single reading deck. I worry that I will get bored.
It does mean to be exclusive to only one deck. One Tarot deck, yes, but it seems to me that the people who forswore Oracles as well as other Tarot are the ones getting the most out of the exercise.

To use the IDS deck only for one type of readings while reading with other ones as well really is defeating the purpose, which was (originally) to omit distractions and confusion arising from differing imagery, to challenge oneself to summon the discipline and willpower required to resist the temptation to take the easy way out.

When your IDS deck doesn't speak to you, two or three weeks into the IDS, it's about working through that blockage. This is when people who aren't doing the IDS stop using the deck that's been good for them for a few weeks, and move onto another. I wanted to stop taking that easy way out. So I made myself move through it. It involved "breaking" one of my smaller rules (to handle or read with my deck every day), but in the end I came back to my deck and we've come along in leaps and bounds.

\m/ Kat

vhrsn

Hi to all,
Thanks for letitng me know of thiws. So that means that I have to use the deck jsut for the IDS and not for personal and professional tarot readings, or can I do both? Let me know and it helps a lot.
All the best,
Veronica

thorhammer

The idea is that you use one deck only for all Tarot purposes for the duration of your study.

\m/ Kat

Onyx

Kat did clear up a misunderstanding I was having.

You pick one deck and for everything you do Tarot-related you use that deck. To read for yourself, to read for others, to study, to mindlessly shuffle while watching TV, everything.

I have to agree that there is no better way to study a deck than to use the cards in readings.

Allan

vhrsn

Hi to all,
Thanks for clarify that for me, I'll be sure to do that.
All the best,
Veronica