Moving from an old deck to a new one...

Logiatrix

...how do I do this? The deck I'm replacing is the Albano-Waite, and I chose the Radiant Rider Waite to replace it...but I can't seem to adjust.

Now, I would like to replace said RWS deck with a new one. There is no question that my old deck is sorely in need of retirement, that is not the issue. The problem is that I am very comfortable with it, and seem to have a hard time not going back to it. I've tried every other RWS variation I have, but there I am again, a week or two later...back to the "comfort deck"!
:confused:

rwcarter

Logiatrix said:
Now, I would like to replace said RWS deck with a new one. There is no question that my old deck is sorely in need of retirement, that is not the issue
Do you really need to switch to a different deck or would a new copy of your existing deck do the trick? Especially since it's not that much of a stretch, why the need to move to a different deck?

As to your original question, maybe a comparative study of the two decks? Note the similarities and differences between each card in the deck and see how those differences influence your range of interpretations for the new deck. Instead of going cold turkey, you'd be giving your old deck the chance to pass the torch as it were.

Rodney

Sulis

I agree with Rodney, why not just get a new Albano Waite? Although if you do decide to do that, I'd try and get a second hand one from ebay or one from a trade here as I've heard that the lamination on the ones is very slick and plasticy.. Not something that goes well with the Albano Waite in my opinion, that's a deck that really needs a minimal, matte lamination.

Aerin

It depends on whether you *want* to replace your deck for a different one, or whether you feel you *should*.

If the former, why?

If the latter, who says you should? What would happen if you didn't and got a new Albano instead?

Aerin

balenciaga

I have the same trouble switching decks. I love to buy new ones, but unless I force myself to get accustomed to it, I won't use it:) So I empathize with your frustration.
The trick really is to force yourself by practicing and using the new deck. In a few days you won't miss the old one:) This has worked for me.

Dwaas

I've read a lot of posts from you about your Albano, being a real workhorse. And always you stretched that the deck is battered. So maybe it IS indeed time for retirement. :)
Now about the Albano. The new deck is typical us games laminated so that might be hard to get used to. I like the coating, especially because I put my decks to the test as well. On the other hand if you really really want a 1986 Albano Rider I may be of help. I have one and it seems very appropriate that you would get it for a very reasonable price or exchange. The deck needs love and actually I prefer the newer edition so I'm sure we can work things out. ;)
Love, Elisa

bluecaffeine

moving from an old deck to a new one

I can imagine how you feel. I use SacredCircleTarot and my boyfriend told me some days ago: I have an RWS from 18 years ago. You can try to work with it, if you like. I think that some people only trust in the old methods. As if only old Tarotcards (systems) could tell the truth. Or maybe they think, more modern Tarotdecks have another truth? They could mean sth else than the "original" cards from former times. I'm not sure. But some people looked suspicious when I "presented" the SacredCircleTarot.

Logiatrix

Dwaas said:
I've read a lot of posts from you about your Albano, being a real workhorse. And always you stretched that the deck is battered. So maybe it IS indeed time for retirement. :)
Yes, it is indeed battered. As bluecaffeine mentioned, "old" is impressive, but my AW is officially past old and well into the "grungey' category; no longer impressive, I'm afraid.

Dwaas said:
Now about the Albano. The new deck is typical us games laminated so that might be hard to get used to. I like the coating, especially because I put my decks to the test as well. On the other hand if you really really want a 1986 Albano Rider I may be of help. I have one and it seems very appropriate that you would get it for a very reasonable price or exchange. The deck needs love and actually I prefer the newer edition so I'm sure we can work things out. ;)
Love, Elisa
That is a very kind and generous, Dwaas! :heart: But, as we are separated by oceans, the cost of postage will likely run more $$ than if I found a copy here. :( The offer itself is already a gift, though...you're awesome! :)

You say you actually prefer the newer version; that piques my interest. It seems to be a concensus that a new copy of the same might work, so perhaps I could go for a "plasticky" version, and never worry about switching again!

First I will try the side-by-side comparison Rodney suggested, and force myself to work with my new deck, too, per the suggestion of balenciaga. I shall overcome!

Well, gosh, in the wider scope of things, it's hardly a cunundrum! :laugh:

Cerulean

Buy a mini Albano Waite...also use your old one as a study guide...

...and find a notebook or journal that you like with with many pages...glue each mini Albano Waite card on a page with blank pages in between...in any order that you like. I'll tell you what to do with the old one in a second...

For instance, paste down the mini-deck majors first...then the courts...numbered cards ace through ten...it's easy to also just use a looseleaf binder where you can hole-punch pages and re-arrange the sheets as you like...just be certain the binder can hold paper thick enough to accomodate one mini card pasted to it's page. (Some writing paper is very flimsy)

Write your impressions as often or as little as you wish on each card's appropriate page(s)...you can use this as a study book of mini-Albano Waite images and carry it along with your new deck. Then you have both a working journal with your Albano Waite and your new deck, as well...

Or...
Find a flip mini-photo album with at least 78 sleeves and put your old Albano Waite cards in each sleeve. Use the mini-photo album as a comparison study guide with your new deck--just flip to the appropriate card and check the coloring/contrast/line quality...and as long as you need, carry both decks...

The other idea... place the old Albano Waite in your car, bedside table, or other personal space where you might just need a spare deck handy. The old standby is still in reserve as a personal deck...and 'saved' for that time you need to reach for your old friend.

Hope that helps.

Cerulean

tarotberry

i have no problem sticking with the same deck. i even come with back-up! as i am obsessed with tarot of the old path, i have my original copy in a black bag - that's for general card work and reading for other people. the TOTOP in the grey bag is just for me me me and the last deck is still in the box, wrapped in plastic. i guess that's super back-up in case it's ever OOP.

i vote for DUPLICATION not a replacement! :thumbsup: