Well, here we go again

Aeon Sage

Well, after six months of research, I come back to one of my old posts to find out the answer: What is reverse for the side-ways second card of the Celtic Cross. which way is the top pointing in the spread for an up-right meaning.

I urge everyone to examine this mystery.

starrystarrynight

I have read in more than one book that the cross card is always read upright.

That said, I would certainly look at the rest of the spread to determine what shade of meaning might draw my intuition on it. In other words, what makes most sense to me taking all the rest of the spread into consideration...

ETA:

Okay, I see you have asked this question before and I posted to it, too. (You have bumped the other thread up, too.) I still say the same thing.

re-pete-a

When this one does the CC, before the base card is placed, The sitter has already drawn a querrants card from a face down fanned out deck. The bottom card is the situation, in the start of the cross,the next card is the HAND BRAKE. If the first card originally drawn by the sitter does not show the current situation, then it's money back time. All and any information is considered but tricks , NARRH!!
________
YAMAHA RD500LC SPECIFICATIONS

AngelC

I have a very simple solution to that.
Don't turn it 90 degrees, let it cross the other card by some 45 degrees give or take, that way you have an up and down.
You may have to move it a bit if you want a close look at the card underneath it but that goes for any which way you put it.

That's how I always put down my crossing cards regardless of spreads.

rwcarter

When the crossing card is 90 degrees to the base card, the left and right of the card represent the top and bottom of the image. For me, the left would represent the top. So I would use the view from the left of the card to determine whether the card was upright or reversed. (I don't use reversals, but that's how I would figure it out if I did.)

Rodney

Aeon Sage

Good

Thanks rwcarter, that's very helpful. That has been nagging me for months on end. If anyone else could contribute ideas, that'd be great.

rwcarter

Glad to be of help. It occurred to me why what I described makes sense (to me). Westerners read from left to right and top to bottom. When vertical, we would look at the card from top to bottom to determine whether it's upright or reversed. So it makes sense (to me) that if the card is horizontal, it would be looked at from left to right to determine whether it's upright or reversed.

I believe Chinese and Japanese are read from top to bottom and RIGHT to LEFT. In that case it would make sense (to me) to determine whether a horizontal card is upright or reversed by looking at it from the opposite direction than Westerners would use.

Rodney

re-pete-a

just an addition, if the card in question is bothering you(?) then go with the first impression EG: lay the first card, lay the second, (wait for the first impression to hit, upright or Rv) you may find that is your style for THAT reading . The next reading the feeling may be opposite, it wont matter,go with it, trust yourself!!
You can road test it in the appropriate section, no one would mind.
________
Coach Purses

Raya

I have the exact same problem, so I just stopped turning it. I put it on top of the first card, down and to the right slightly so I can see the one on the bottom. Problem solved.

Tryska

yeah the way I place it the cross gets put up and to the right of the card. that way i can see both easily and read reversed (if i read reversed)