Horary

silverwings94

Hello Everyone,
Could someone please point me in the right direction as to how to start learning about Horary Astrology. I have seen many threads about this and I am very interested in learning what it is all about. What books and/or websites are good for a beginner. I know absolutely nothing about this.
Thanks
S

Minderwiz

If you are reasonably familiar with the principles underlying Tarot reading then you have a fair basis to start Horary. The idea of a querent (person who asks a question), the question asked and the Astrologer/Tarot reader who answers the question underlie both.

Horary Astrology can trace its roots back to classical Greece and many of the 'rules' can be traced back centuries. A good starting point is Anthony Louis' book on Horary. Louis has also written books on Tarot so he is a good starting point for the taroist wanting to learn about this part of Astrology.

Don't bother with anything on natal Astrology. Modern natal Astrology is as different from Horary as chalk and cheese. The key is to understand what the question is (sometimes the querent will need some help to express this) and then identifying the house (or houses) that need to be examined. This is by far and away the main thing.

The question is answered by examining the rulers of that house (or houses) and assessing their condition. There are some rules for this assessment and these of course need to be learned.

When more than one house is involved there is the second issue of seeing if the rulers (usually two of them) will form an aspect - no aspect then no outcome.

A good website which features horary is Deb Houlding's Skyscript

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/

It's also a great resource for Traditional Astrology and you will find answers to many of the questions you raise as you read Louis. There's also here of course as there's a number of people interested in horary.

silverwings94

Minderwiz,
Thanks or getting back to me so quickly. Do you have a link to the thread here at AT for the course on Horary? I just ordered the book you mentioned from Borders so I will have to wait to see if they can get it. Then it will be probably 2 weeks before I get it. Sometimes they are slow.
I tried the link but couldn't get in. i'll try later.
Thanks again,
S

Minderwiz said:
If you are reasonably familiar with the principles underlying Tarot reading then you have a fair basis to start Horary. The idea of a querent (person who asks a question), the question asked and the Astrologer/Tarot reader who answers the question underlie both.

Horary Astrology can trace its roots back to classical Greece and many of the 'rules' can be traced back centuries. A good starting point is Anthony Louis' book on Horary. Louis has also written books on Tarot so he is a good starting point for the taroist wanting to learn about this part of Astrology.

Don't bother with anything on natal Astrology. Modern natal Astrology is as different from Horary as chalk and cheese. The key is to understand what the question is (sometimes the querent will need some help to express this) and then identifying the house (or houses) that need to be examined. This is by far and away the main thing.

The question is answered by examining the rulers of that house (or houses) and assessing their condition. There are some rules for this assessment and these of course need to be learned.

When more than one house is involved there is the second issue of seeing if the rulers (usually two of them) will form an aspect - no aspect then no outcome.

A good website which features horary is Deb Houlding's Skyscript

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/

It's also a great resource for Traditional Astrology and you will find answers to many of the questions you raise as you read Louis. There's also here of course as there's a number of people interested in horary.

Minderwiz

There are a number of threads here, in which horary or event astrology has featured. Event Astrology tries to analyse a past event to learn more about the reasons and conditions behind it and why the outcome occured.

You can try searching for Horary using Aeclectic's search facility but I think you might get more out of the site by posting questions and queries here as you work through the book.

Don't worry too much if your initial knowledge of Astrology is low. For experienced natal Astrologers their can be a real issue of having to 'unlearn' much of their approach and then learn the 'new' (actually very old) techniques.

I got into horary because I was not reallly satisfied with modern approaches to natal Astrology and wanted to learn more about how the techniques developed. In beginning to learn about traditional approaches to Astrology I came across horary and I've found the efforts to learn most rewarding. Coming to horaryr without any 'natal' baggage can be an advantage. Traditional Astrologers learned their skills by starting with horary and event astrology and moved onto natal only when they had learned the necessary skills.

silverwings94

Borders just called me and said that my book is in. i am going out there tomorrow to pick it up. Thank you for the information.
S

A good starting point is Anthony Louis' book on Horary. Louis has also written books on Tarot so he is a good starting point for the taroist wanting to learn about this part of Astrology.

Paul

On the recommendation of Minderwiz, I ordered Lehman's Martial Art of Horary Astrology-- after having read Louis' Horary Astrology Plain & Simple. What a tasty combo platter!!!! Now, when I get Frawley's manual, I'll be a black belt!

(Not really) But, I am really starting to get Horary's basics down and feel basically confident with friends and family.

Minderwiz

Glad to see you are really getting stuck in!!

I've read quite a few books on horary but these three are the best. If you want to take things any further after Frawley then you might try Lilly but be prepared for the old English.

There are also some modern books. Olivia Barclay is often credited with the resurrection of horary with her book 'Horary Astrology Rediscovered' and there are books by Marc Edmund Jones and March and McIvers. All of these authors tend to either use modern rulers or include the outer planets. It's the rediscovery of Lilly that perhaps had a major influence and Christian Astrology is now used as the basis of most recognised qualifications in horary.

In that sense we currently have something of a paradox in that the modern approach to horary is something of a historical curiosity.

silverwings94

I just got home from Borders with my book. Now to take some me time and sit and delve inot this wonderful book

Minderwiz

Happy reading :)

If you have any queries as you work your way through the book, just post them and we'll do our best to help you.

silverwings94

Thanks for all your help and I am sure to have plenty of questions.
S