Who's reading the cards you or me?

SpiritOfTheDogz

I went to my mums last night as it was my brothers birthday party and we all had a chinese, anyway afterwards as the sun had come out so we went outside and almost immediately i was asked to read, so thought what the hell, it's good practice...well it was good practice until everyone gathered round and tried telling me what each card meant...after which I totally lost my concentration and the reading went pear shaped.

The next reading I did, I went inside away from "the crowd" and although at lot more peaceful (as there was only three of un indoors), they still tried telling me what the cards meant.

I changed my deck for the last reading so they couldn't quite pick up on the words the same.

I'm now wondering if learning the Radiant Sun is a good idea and if I'll always have the problem of the querent reading the card title and immediately knowing what it means?

Paul

Gavriela

I missed that deck when it was remaindered at my local bookshop for $2 - pity, cos I really like the look of it.

Most of my decks have either no words, or titles in languages people don't commonly speak around here, which works just fine for me.

Unfortunately, a couple of the prettier ones do have English translations of the title on the card - and the cards are too hard to come by to go chopping them up (not a fan of trimming decks).

Did the Radiant Sun come out in different languages? Decks often will, depending on what country they're sold in - if so, you could try trading the deck with somebody in Poland or somewhere who's got their local version - seriously - it does seem to be pretty popular around here. Keep the book in English, and the cards remain a mystery to your querents.

Then again, I've met more than one who'll argue with Lenormand meanings, and those don't have words at all (one of the reasons I encourage people to stay away from the decks with rhymes instead of playing card insets). Sometimes you can't win - but sometimes you can outsmart 'em :)

OrbWeaver

I've found that just because there's a title, it doesn't necessarily mean what the title says. It depends on how the card turns up in the spread, and within the context of the reading.

I had a cousin ask me to read from one of her tarot decks for her once. She immediately tried to take over and do her own reading, even though she had asked ME to do it. I just told her, with a nice smile, "Look, you asked ME to do this reading. Relinquish control for a bit and let me do it. You'll live, I promise."

It's okay to ask people to back off and let you do your thing. Really. ;)

Gavriela

Explaining that to The Person Who Knows Everything is often an exercise in futility.

I actually like it when people ask me to read for them without telling them any of the cards for fear they'll put their own projections onto them - doesn't happen too often, though.

SpiritOfTheDogz

OrbWeaver said:
I had a cousin ask me to read from one of her tarot decks for her once. She immediately tried to take over and do her own reading, even though she had asked ME to do it. I just told her, with a nice smile, "Look, you asked ME to do this reading. Relinquish control for a bit and let me do it. You'll live, I promise."

It's okay to ask people to back off and let you do your thing. Really. ;)

They weren't so much trying to do there own reading , just trying to be clever by putting the cards together just by name, so i put loads of clarifiers down just to make things more awkward for them and once they'd pieced all the cards together I told them it didn't mean that at all (even if I thought it did)

Gavriela said:
I missed that deck when it was remaindered at my local bookshop for $2 - pity, cos I really like the look of it.

Now that would have been a very good buy:)

Gavriela said:
Most of my decks have either no words, or titles in languages people don't commonly speak around here, which works just fine for me.

Unfortunately, a couple of the prettier ones do have English translations of the title on the card - and the cards are too hard to come by to go chopping them up (not a fan of trimming decks).

Did the Radiant Sun come out in different languages? Decks often will, depending on what country they're sold in - if so, you could try trading the deck with somebody in Poland or somewhere who's got their local version - seriously - it does seem to be pretty popular around here. Keep the book in English, and the cards remain a mystery to your querents.

Maybe i should be buying decks with a foreign language:), I'm not sure if the Radiant Sun came in different languages but that sounds like a good idea, although I rely on the words aswell as the pictures so it would make my life more difficult

Gavriela said:
Then again, I've met more than one who'll argue with Lenormand meanings, and those don't have words at all (one of the reasons I encourage people to stay away from the decks with rhymes instead of playing card insets). Sometimes you can't win - but sometimes you can outsmart 'em :)

I neither like cards with rhymes or playing card insets, I certainly can't see the point in the latter, if I wanted to play cards I'd buy some;)

Paul

AJ

It was probably just a 'family' thing, you know family members will tell each other how to do Everything

SpiritOfTheDogz

AJ said:
It was probably just a 'family' thing, you know family members will tell each other how to do Everything

Yeh, probably my brother has tried telling me what to do sice we were little and he hates it when I stick up for myself.

Paul