Words of Wisdom

rwcarter

I just picked up my first edition copy of Mary K. Greer's Tarot Constellations: Patterns of Personal Destiny to use with my IDS deck. I've had this book since the early 90's and have thumbed through it on various occasions. I may even have read the Introduction before. But the last few sentences of the third paragraph strongly resonated with me just now.

Mary K. Greer in Tarot Constellations said:
You are your own teacher. All rules given here are made to be broken. Question everything I say and accept nothing until it brings you results you can perceive. As you go through this book, clarify for yourself your intentions in working with the tarot: What do you want to learn from it?
WOW! :lightbulb I believe many of us know the truth of these words to some degree or another, but they bear repeating, especially for those who believe that tarot can/should only be used in one particular way or that if the author of the deck said it, then that's the only way it can be. I've had these words at my disposal for ~15 years, but only just now really discovered them. I've held MKG in high esteem for quite some time now, but with those words of wisdom she has definitely elevated herself even higher in my pantheon of tarot sages/idols.

If you read this Mary (she's a member here), thank you. Would that I had read these words years ago, I could have saved myself a lot of angst. I relay them here in the hopes that they will provide comfort and strength to someone else who may need them in their tarot journey.

Humbly,
Rodney

Gazel

rwcarter said:
Would that I had read these words years ago, I could have saved myself a lot of angst. I relay them here in the hopes that they will provide comfort and strength to someone else who may need them in their tarot journey.

Humbly,
Rodney

Dear Rodney,

I so would like that book and the book Tarot Mirrors by the same author. Unfortunately they are either out of print or very expensive. It would be lovely if some day they were reprinted.

Anyway. Sometimes you get a message when you are ready to take it in so to speak. Maybe you just need to learn a lesson like this on your own, and then it will resonate with you and you can appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing.

:heart: Gazel

balenciaga

Thanks for posting, RWC. So true.
I am also a big fan of M. K. Greer. I love her "21 ways". I learned so much from it and use it again and again, never tiring of reading her advice/decriptions. I am unfamiliar, though, with the book you mention. I hope to cross paths with it someday.

rwcarter

It was published in 1987. There's a trio of books - Tarot for Your Self, Tarot Constellations and Tarot Mirrors. They were all released in the late 80s and I believe they are all OOP now.

GryffinSong

Tarot For Yourself is out as a 2nd edition. I bought it recently. ;)

rwcarter

GryffinSong said:
Tarot For Yourself is out as a 2nd edition. I bought it recently. ;)
Cool!

starrystarrynight

Gazel said:
Sometimes you get a message when you are ready to take it in so to speak.
So true. As the old saying goes, the right teacher comes along only when you are ready to learn.