Applying scented oil to a deck?

sleepingcat

I was wondering what a good way to do this for decks not kept in bags? I know the bagged ones, a drop in the bag, bag just smooshed up good and the cards in that works nicely.

But for a deck in a box, how should I put the oil on the cards?

I though I could just smear it on the back of one, a little dab and let it get shuffled through?

Any other ideas or things I need to know first?

HellzBelle

sleepingcat said:
I though I could just smear it on the back of one, a little dab and let it get shuffled through?
:eek: I wouldn't be doing that myself!!!!
To put a drop of oil onto your card, back or front, you would find absorbed into the paper leaving a definite mark where you put it. With time it would most probably work through to the image and spoil that. And then if you're gonna put on the drop of oil on one card and immediately shuffle through your pack, well...multiply the damaged cards by 78, 80 if you keep in the extra two however they might be presented when you shuffle.
I also think the oil would make shuffling difficult anyway, viscosity and slowing things down by sticking them together. I don't reckon you'd get the extra slip you'd be hoping for.
Don't believe me? Get a deck of playing cards, the laminate is similar to most new tarot decks and try it. You should see some of the effect pretty much straight away, but let it sit and watch how the oil gets into it with more time.

If you really wanted to use a scented oil, essential or fragrant, maybe a piece of blotting paper or paper towel with a few drops on it, and then that placed in between the pages of the LWB. The fragrance should permeate all the contents of the box with time without damaging your deck with nasty oily spots.

If you have to put something in the box with the cards, I'd suggest perhaps a bay leaf. You'll get a mild herbal scent with the benefit that a bay leaf will ward off silverfish; bay leaves are usually nice and flat so one will slip in a box with its cards fairly easily; it will surely crumble with time but shouldn't cause any damage or marking to your cards being that it's nice and dry; and when it does crumble to nothing you can just go to your kitchen herbs and get a replacement.

Gavriela

Maybe a drop on the inside of the box and make sure it's completely dry before you put the deck back in?

Many card finishes will stain if they're exposed directly to oil.

Zephyros

A little piece of incense works well, even if you put only a crumb, it will give your box and you deck a really good "mystical" smell :D

Raya

Great idea! I always wanted to scent my decks, but didn't know how. I just put scented oils on my various bags and boxes and hopefully by tomorrow they'll be dry (with this humidity, it takes a while for anything to dry!)

Nightgarden

My first Thoth "lives" in a tin-box, which contains before vanilla-scented tobacco.
The cards smelling now wonderful in a nostalgic way-like a gift from your grandpa!

sleepingcat

Reba said:
:eek: I wouldn't be doing that myself!!!!
To put a drop of oil onto your card, back or front, you would find absorbed into the paper leaving a definite mark where you put it. With time it would most probably work through to the image and spoil that. And then if you're gonna put on the drop of oil on one card and immediately shuffle through your pack, well...multiply the damaged cards by 78, 80 if you keep in the extra two however they might be presented when you shuffle.
I also think the oil would make shuffling difficult anyway, viscosity and slowing things down by sticking them together. I don't reckon you'd get the extra slip you'd be hoping for.
Don't believe me? Get a deck of playing cards, the laminate is similar to most new tarot decks and try it. You should see some of the effect pretty much straight away, but let it sit and watch how the oil gets into it with more time.

If you really wanted to use a scented oil, essential or fragrant, maybe a piece of blotting paper or paper towel with a few drops on it, and then that placed in between the pages of the LWB. The fragrance should permeate all the contents of the box with time without damaging your deck with nasty oily spots.

If you have to put something in the box with the cards, I'd suggest perhaps a bay leaf. You'll get a mild herbal scent with the benefit that a bay leaf will ward off silverfish; bay leaves are usually nice and flat so one will slip in a box with its cards fairly easily; it will surely crumble with time but shouldn't cause any damage or marking to your cards being that it's nice and dry; and when it does crumble to nothing you can just go to your kitchen herbs and get a replacement.

Yeah, I was worried about that. Or the oil lifting off the inks.

I like the idea of putting a dot of oil on a slip, or maybe I could put a piece of muslin at the bottom of the deck box?

At least it's an oil designed for perfume use, so it's a very light and clean oil. the decks that have a drop in the bag havent picked up oil marks at all. Still, oil is oil.

Maybe I could scent a handkerchief and wrap the box? the cardboard box might be too thick though....

tarotberry

sleepingcat said:
At least it's an oil designed for perfume use, so it's a very light and clean oil. the decks that have a drop in the bag havent picked up oil marks at all. Still, oil is oil.

hi sleepingcat! just a cautionary comment...if you read professionally or for lots of friends and family, maybe keep a few decks unscented for those of us sensitive to chemical/floral aromas? i love the idea but am the type who gets an intense and immediate headache from perfume, incense, cleaning supplies, etc. the oil infusion would really kill my enjoyment and not to mention distract me from your reading!

i know. i'm a big weenie. :rolleyes:

SolSionnach

My first thought was to *very* lightly oil your fingers, wipe it off, then shuffle the deck a bunch.

That being said, incense sounds like *much* less trouble!

gregory

I killed the stink on my Lunatic (it was incredibly foul) by keeping it in a box full of lavender scented candles for a couple of weeks. Now it smells lovely. And no effort at all, unless you contd opening the box to put it in !!!