How to clean the edges of a deck?

Abrac

I was wondering if anyone has discovered any secrets for cleaning the edges on a deck. I've got a deck that has seen some serious use over the years and the edges are fairly grimy. I know I probably won't be able to get them totally clean but would like to spiffy them up as good as possible. Any ideas?

Le Fanu

Gosh. Why do that? I know people who would love authentically grubby, vintage, well-handled decks. I bet your deck has oodles of character...

:)

.traveller.

nevermind

lark

you can also use one of those kneeded artists erasers...

Abrac

Le Fanu said:
Gosh. Why do that? I know people who would love authentically grubby, vintage, well-handled decks. I bet your deck has oodles of character...

One of these days I will learn the meaning of 'leave well-enough alone.' :)

Abrac

lark said:
you can also use one of those kneeded artists erasers...
There's a thought. I don't really like the idea of getting them wet if I don't have to. I will try that. Thanks! :)

Logiatrix

Abrac said:
There's a thought. I don't really like the idea of getting them wet if I don't have to. I will try that. Thanks! :)
If you use an eraser, make sure it is white (if that's the color of the surface you're using it on). I found out the hard way that erasers often leave their colored residue (gray, for example) on white matte finishes.

Penny Dreadfuls

.traveller. said:
I've used a product, can't recall the name, but it looks like a white sponge. It's used to clean grout and marks off of walls. I've used it on card edges and books and it works fairly well. Doesn't get them totally clean, but instead of looking 'grubby', they look 'aged'.

Are you thinking of the Magic Eraser? Those work really well, and I bet would work great on deck edges.

thorhammer

What deck is it, Abrac? If it's a sturdy sort of cardstock, (thinking USGames here, of course), then a damp sponge, with a scratchy side, might be great - in addition to removing the grime, it might further soften the edges a little. You'd have to be really careful not to go too far, though . . . and if it's a rare deck or on thin card (MerryDay would not be a candidate) then it's probably best to try the eraser or Magic thingy :)

\m/ Kat

Abrac

lark, that eraser trick works very well. It takes off the surface grime without leaving them looking abnormally white. Thank you for the tip!

thorhammer, it's a US Games Tarot Classic. The stock is sturdy, but the edges of the majors are a lot softer than the others. It looks like someone, possibly a smoker, used the majors only and left the rest of the deck in the box. They had a brown film all around the edges.