Tarot and masses

jumptothemoonyea

How (and why would you do it?) to bring Tarot into masses?

Summersnowflake

Do you mean Masses (as in Catholic church) or "the masses" being the population at large? Or something else?

Penny Dreadfuls

I really wouldn't what it brought to the masses, I think popular culture would debase and trivialize it.

If you meant into Catholic Masses, I don't think that would go over to well in mainstream Catholic Masses lol

jumptothemoonyea

Summersnowflake said:
Do you mean Masses (as in Catholic church) or "the masses" being the population at large? Or something else?
Yes, the masses being the population at large.

ruski_svet

I don't think it's up to anyone to make tarot mainstream. People have many reasons not to embrace such a practice and all of them are valid. Some are completely misinformed, but let them think that way.
And what Penny said about it being debased. Mass culture chews things up and spits them out. Everything is only a trend and tarot wouldnt last more than a year. TLC would use tarot for decorating advice. VH1 would get a room of old B-list celebrities for readings. And a fully stocked liquor cabinet to fuel table throwing emotional breakdowns. Good God.

Gavriela

It's already mainstream. At least outside small towns in the US bible belt.

DrTodd

Gavriela said:
It's already mainstream. At least outside small towns in the US bible belt.

i agree.. Every chain bookstore has an MBS section full of tarot books and decks...Both in the UK and US, Borders and Barnes and Noble are loaded with Tarot stuff....

Penny Dreadfuls

It's mainstream in a limited sense, but it's not hardcore mainstream. Not mainstream, mainstream, you know?

GryffinSong

jumptothemoonyea said:
How (and why would you do it?) to bring Tarot into masses?

As far as I'm concerned, its plenty mainstream already. In my opinion, there are many paths up the mountain, and tarot is a tool for people to choose, or not, as they wish. In most so-called developed countries, tarot is readily available for those who will find it helpful, and I see no point whatsoever in trying to make it as "mainstream" as, say, McDonald's hamburgers.

philebus

How and why?

Well, best to start with the why. I'm sure some of you will already know that I've no interest in the occult or in fortune telling - but I do enjoy card games and tarot is the best family of games in the world. At least, they're the ones I enjoy the most and to see them so neglected inspires both a sense of civic duty and a drive that is entirely self interested (I want more people to play with!).

And everyone needs a hobby.

How is rather a tough question. The games are, in some places, especially in France, already very mainstream - it is just us English speakers who are missing out. I can't believe that mainstream publishers would publish a book on the subject (or the Dummett and McLeod volumes wouldn't cost about £85 each), so that only really leaves the internet. The mainstream media only seems interested in the occult tarot which is, at least in the UK, already very mainstream.

The simple fact is, this is not a one man job. So, the plan is, build a website with all the rules and add a forum to enable a community to form, however small to start with. Host signature banners that members can use in other forums to bring folk here (I've trialled this in some 3d forums and had some good traffic from it!). Encourage them to spread the word in whatever diverse web communities they belong to. I'm trying to work out how to make little animated films that could be hosted on YouTube, perhaps with a view to building an introductory series of tutorials. There are probably many little strategies made possible by the internet - but, for now, it has to be little steps. I only have so much time.

With luck, from a small beginning and over a long time, there is the potential for word to spread. Perhaps I'm overly optimistic but I think it could happen. With availability of rules and cards, the potential is now there.

It is interesting, and contrary to my initial expectations, that occult tarotists/readers are generally (though not always) sympathic to my goal. After all, the two uses are not mutually exclusive. The people who have opposed my plans the most have been those who see the cards as somehow evil - Christians in particular. I have recently joined a games club in this area and been warned against talking of tarot games because the wife of one of the group's founders is a Catholic who will not approve.