PDA

View Full Version : Cards predicting death?

September Pixie
11-07-2008, 05:22
I know some of you have noticed my absence from the boards.. it's been a very trying year for me. Every year I pull a card (using numerology) for the coming year. I believe I have even posted about this a few times during the readings I have given here... (I often threw in the year card as a bonus) In 2006 I pulled The Tower for 2007.

Many of you know that my dad was battling cancer and I knew immediately when I pulled it, that was going to be the year we'd lose him. I guess in a way it helped to prepare me. I kept hoping it wasn't true but in July of 2007 he passed. In a way it made it easier for me to go through since I was sort of expecting this.. obviously it rocked the very foundation of my being (exactly like the card shows) , has this happened to anyone else?

Has a card ever instantly predicted death?

edited to add:
Here's how it played out for me. For me, seeing the tower usually means something is happening that is going to shake your life up in a highly emotional matter and lead to a great deal of change, and its change thats usually dreaded, painful, and very hard to go through. When I pulled the card for my year -- I knew. I knew it was my father and I knew it the instant I pulled the card. I was reading for no one but myself.. however, I still knew it was going to be him.. and without fail.. starting in January of last year his hospital trips began to be more frequent, his cancer meds stopped working as well, and early July he was gone. Of course I hoped it meant something else, I kept trying to find other things to assign the card to.. but never the less, it was absolutely what I knew from the beginning.

I guess what I am getting at, is when I pulled The Tower, I knew instantly that nothing could shake me up, devistate me more, or change my life in more ways than this very moment. It did just that. I am not of course talking about the actual Death card meaning literal death, but any mixture of cards but something you absolutely knew without question meant that it was coming.

starrystarrynight
11-07-2008, 06:13
As death is a part of life on this plane as we know it, yes, I for one, have pulled cards that signified an upcoming physical death - more than once.

That said, I am so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

Saturness
13-07-2008, 02:27
I think cards can predict death, yes. I know there's this talk that Death nevers means real death, and i disagree - isn't tarot about life? Death is a part of life.

I have never been in this situation, not that i'm aware of, but i think that the cards that might show up for death depend a lot on what the consequences of this death will be. For you it was the Tower...the whole situation of your loss, a great loss that might have pulled the carpet from under your feet and all. The Death card itself could mean a more natural death...something that had to end, had to go, peacefully. A Wheel of Fortune could mean a sudden death...with the Chariot close, maybe a car accident?

But reading Death is always difficult, i believe. It's a subject very easy for all of us to deny. Besides, it's not healthy to get paranoid and start looking for death everywhere...it'll happen. But we don't need to live thinking about it. Just need to know that it exists, and that it might show up in a reading.

Actually, i'd like to hear other's experiences with this kind of situation...i don't think i have any of my own to tell.

September Pixie
13-07-2008, 04:56
I mean I know the difference between seeing the death card and taking it as face value meaning death but..

I guess what I mean is have you ever read for someone that you just instantly knew the minute you pulled the card that it was definately death and not just 'hard times ahead'?

starrystarrynight
13-07-2008, 05:14
As a matter of fact, I drew as my daily draw last week:

Death - Nine of Swords - Queen of Swords

I couldn't see it any other way than as a death (Death/Nine of Swords) of a woman in my energy sphere (Nine of Swords/Queen of Swords), and I started trying to figure out who it could be (as morbid as that might sound...it wasn't, though, because I just knew/sensed there was a death on the horizon.)

Later that day, I learned that the sister of my daughter's class instructor had died, so her class was canceled. But I didn't really know the woman, so that bothered me. I thought that I had maybe read the cards wrong because the death angle had seemed too strong to me to merely be describing someone I really didn't know (I didn't even know the teacher on any personal level.)

A few days later, though, I learned of the sudden death of an acquaintance (female) who was the best friend of someone who had, at one time, been a very close friend of mine. I now tend to think that the first death was more coincidental, and the cards were actually speaking about the death of my friend's friend...because I often draw the Queen of Swords to signify my friend--who is now left alone due to the death of her best friend.

celticnoodle
13-07-2008, 05:43
interesting to see this thread, as I have just recently read a page from a book, I intend to purchase, about a tarot reading the author did. she went on to say that whenever she pulls the Ace of Swords, the Death card and a court card in a reading, it is always read as a death coming soon to whomever the court card represents. I found that quite interesting, and made a mental note to remember that, in case I ever get those cards in a reading. So, similar in nature to what you posted, starry.

Now, that said, yes, I do believe the death card can refer to a physical death. For me, it would also depend on the question being read, and even if it was a question regarding the health of someone or a general reading, and the death card shows up, it would also depend upon the surrounding cards.

interesting thing that occurred to you, September Pixie. My sincere condolences to you for your loss too. Also for you starry.

oops! wanted to add that one way I had encountered this coming about, was through a reading for my mother that was done by a tarot reader we frequented. she predicted a death for a dark haired man close to her many years in advance. she mentioned a few details about the death and what would result after the death. we never could figure out who it was, but always rememebered this. then years later--many years later, a man in my mothers 'circle' with whom she had not had contact with for several years, died, and all that the tarot card reader predicted began to take place-exactly the way it was read. really wierd.

no_moon
13-07-2008, 17:33
I don't know if it has any bearing, but the death card came up in almost every spread I threw starting two weeks approaching my graduation ceremony (which took place recently). Then after the ceremony it started showing up reversed and then disappeared. At the time, I thought it could have meant a lot of things regarding my graduation. But in hindsight, I think it was referring to the fact that my father had to undergo a procedure in the hospital, and that his health condition was far more serious than any of us had expected, but it resolved and he's okay now. I'm kind of scared to see the death card come up in spreads now!

celticnoodle
13-07-2008, 23:38
no_moon, it could have been that the death card was referring to the health of your father, but it could have also been referring to the ending of your education. or maybe both things.

glad your dad is okay now.

Splungeman
14-07-2008, 00:08
As I said in another thread...The 100%, absolute, no error possible prediction to make is predicting someone's death. It's guaranteed to come true! :)

September Pixie
14-07-2008, 02:26
As I said in another thread...The 100%, absolute, no error possible prediction to make is predicting someone's death. It's guaranteed to come true! :)

I don't believe it to be a case of a card showing it and it happening because so, at least in my case. When the card turned up for my year, I knew exactly what it meant and it didn't just happen cause I 'predicted' it to be so. :)

Bronwyn1
14-07-2008, 03:00
I always pull daily cards and a number of years ago I pulled the 3 of swords. Well, being me I didn't like it so I pulled another one!! lol Well I got the tower. Didn't like it either. Pulled another, got the 3 of swords! over and over and over! I'm stubborn, those 2 same cards. I got a phone call that morning that my favourite aunt was in the hospital due to a brain aneurism and wasn't expected to live. She passed away later that day! I was shattered.

The tower came up another time for an aquaintance that passes away and I had read it in the paper! (wasn't expecting to see that)

Bronwyn

Kirali
14-07-2008, 10:03
I did a yearly spread as well and Death showed up for April and my cat got very sick and we got him a couple transfusions which prolonged the inevitable. He passed a month ago. I never used to be worried about the Death card but it definitely can mean death of a loved one. Sorry for your loss. I don't think I will do any more yearly spreads.

KCB
14-07-2008, 17:49
I have a CD of a lecture given at an Australian conference on tarot, where the lecturer was talking about her experiences in this subject. I bought this to help with my research from the book I am writing about mourning and tarot. In addition to the usual cards that could be predictive of death, she said that she has found when reading for people who are seriously ill that she has often seen lots of wands cards, and cards which you might not really expect in relation to death, such as the Sun. Her feeling is that such cards represent the impending journey to the light, but that in such a situation it is difficult and/or unwise to interpret them as such. She urged caution as it could be both arrogant to predict a person's death and it would be very distressing to the reader unless they had already made it clear that they were expecting to die soon.

September Pixie
14-07-2008, 18:04
she has found when reading for people who are seriously ill that she has often seen lots of wands cards, and cards which you might not really expect in relation to death, such as the Sun. Her feeling is that such cards represent the impending journey to the light, but that in such a situation it is difficult and/or unwise to interpret them as such. She urged caution as it could be both arrogant to predict a person's death and it would be very distressing to the reader unless they had already made it clear that they were expecting to die soon.

First let me say, that should a tarot reader find death is coming, probably shouldn't tell the sitter in that kind of matter... more along the line of "when you pass _____" not "I see you're going to die in the next year" would be the more compassionate thing to do.

Here's how it played out for me. For me, seeing the tower usually means something is happening that is going to shake your life up in a highly emotional matter and lead to a great deal of change, and its change thats usually dreaded, painful, and very hard to go through. When I pulled the card for my year -- I knew. I knew it was my father and I knew it the instant I pulled the card. I was reading for no one but myself.. however, I still knew it was going to be him.. and without fail.. starting in January of last year his hospital trips began to be more frequent, his cancer meds stopped working as well, and early July he was gone. Of course I hoped it meant something else, I kept trying to find other things to assign the card to.. but never the less, it was absolutely what I knew from the beginning.

I guess what I am getting at, is when I pulled The Tower, I knew instantly that nothing could shake me up, devistate me more, or change my life in more ways than this very moment. It did just that. I am not of course talking about the actual Death card meaning literal death, but any mixture of cards but something you absolutely knew without question meant that it was coming. :)

Floss
17-09-2009, 17:31
I did a spread yesterday which freaked me out a little - I had a look at the health of an elderly person I know who has been ill recently, and got this:

Celtic Cross:

Death crossed by 5 cups
8 cups in the past
Temperance in the near future
3 of wands crowning
4 of swords as the basis
The Devil in the 'you now" position
Hanged man as outside influences
8 of wands in hopes and fears
The Tower as the outcome.

Looking at this I feel like his actual death is not far off, perhaps he knows it and is looking back over his life with regret, Temperance in the near future may be a period of 'coming to terms with' the reality of his situation, the other cards seem pretty self explanatory to me. Any thoughts?

Ashtaroot
17-09-2009, 18:17
WOW
I kinda agree with you it all self explaned

ladyofhearts
17-09-2009, 18:21
the death card coming up actually predicting a physical death, is something to be pondered. i did a reading recently concerning someone who i was worried about. THIS freaked me out. maybe i was way off on this but, it looked to me that if he didn't change his ways death maybe sudden, swift, and from a heart attack. i pulled the 2 of swords, (not wanting to know or feel something, at a crossroads), hangman rx, ( i read this as wake up, don't just hang out), death, 8 of wands, 3 of swords. (those i read as a sudden death, fast, from a heart attack). to me not actual death, BUT, if you don't take care of yourself soon, its imminent. you know, someone saying, "i am ok, i feel good, nothing to worry about." i kept the reading to myself, it freaked me out. and, he is a good candidate for a sudden heart attack. so, sometimes death can be a warning in a reading, i think. definitely something to think about.

ladyofhearts
17-09-2009, 18:23
ps, the death card in my reading..any thoughts? that was the first reading i ever did, that really shook me up.

ladyofhearts
17-09-2009, 18:27
pps. what was really weird i just found out that a friend of mine told him not to long ago, to watch his dietary habits, because he was complaining he needed to
lose weight. and, she mentioned he could have a heart attack eating all the junk he eats. he said to her, "well, yeah, but i'm not really doing anything about it." then, i get that reading..huh???

Sulis
17-09-2009, 22:35
When my grandma died earlier this year I drew Death, The World and The Wheel of Fortune a lot.
When I asked about things to do with myself at that time I pulled 5 of Cups a lot.

I think that Death card often does mean death.

irisa
18-09-2009, 01:00
I've had the Death card signify actual death it was also quite rightly accompanied by the Tower.

irisa

ladyofhearts
18-09-2009, 03:38
the guy i did the reading on with the bad dietary habits, the cards i just posted, well i pulled three more cards after the 2 of swords, hangman rx, death, 8 of wands, 3 of swords.(as i posted i saw that as he better stop ignoring, in the 2 of swords, not wanting to see or feel the danger of his lifestyle, eating habits, and, wake up so to speak in the, ( hangman rx)..or he will die, (death) of a fast, sudden, (8 of wands) heart attack, (3 of swords). little background..anyhow, the three other cards i pulled were, the devil, tower, knight of wands. that shocked me also. the devil in this i saw as temptation, say to excesses, (food, drink..he likes to drink also), the tower as a sudden upheavel, violent, (the actual heart attack), and the knight of wands as possibly the ambulance being called, fast and furious to take action. anyhoo, all of those cards scared me. it didn't look good. what do you think? a need for concern here? maybe just a warning..but, death in a reading like this to me doesn't look good. i think if you get the death card in a reading it would kind of shake anyone up. just a thought...,,but it depends on the other cards pulled, of course

starrystarrynight
18-09-2009, 04:58
Keep in mind, though, that as you continue to use the cards on a daily or near-daily basis, Death, the Tower, Three of Swords, Nine of Swords (which at one time was considered the death card more-so, even, than the Death card itself) will come up many more times than an actual physical death will occur.

I fear that predicting death as a newer reader (even if you don't voice it, which I believe you should probably never do even after you have been reading for forty years or more), is something that could cause more anguish and may, perhaps, be considered irresponsible, than any amount of diplomacy could counter.

I think it was either Lark or Alta who said here recently that Death doesn't like to be foretold. (She was much more eloquent than that...but it's worth thinking about.)

ladyofhearts
18-09-2009, 05:25
agreed, starrystarrynight. very well said. but, nevertheless, even though i would never voice it to anyone, for myself personally, it shook me up. just the way i read those cards. you know? i just felt those cards may not indicate actual death, BUT, to me it was a warning of somekind. just my 2 cents thats all ;)