Publishers of Tarot

Crescent

I am not really sure where to put this thread, but figured I would place it here..
I am noticing, for myself, that I seem to be collecting more of the Lo Scarabeo decks. I like the artwork of many of them. I tend to like alot of the Italian works, renaissance and the like.

Have you noticed that you have more Tarot decks of one publisher than of another?

karen0205

Hi Crescent,
I like the LS Decks too. I think it's the size, the layout of the cards
and the colors they choose and the finish, it's not too shiny or glossy.
Their decks tend to have really nice artwork and are pleasing to the eye.

I tend to like the Grimaud decks from France too. They have unusual decks.

I probably have more of the LS decks than any other company.

Crescent

Hi Karen
I am waiting on the Universal Tarot by LS... should be here in a day or two.. I like it much better then the Universal Rider deck.
And just ordered the Comtemplative Tarot along with the Dark Grimoire Tarot, both to be released soon.
Gotta have alittle dark to go with the light! So Dark Grimoire will be my second 'dark' deck, Bohemian Gothic was my first.

I do love the colors on LS decks.. More my style, thats for sure.

redflash

I have tried LOADS of different LS decks but I have never connected with a single one of them. :(

I love the size of the cards but that is as far as it goes. The artwork on most of them just doesn't do it for me.

It's a shame, because there are many of the LS titles that I eagerly awaited the publication of, but always with the same result, I sell them on to someone else.

I would say, without looking, that the vast majority of my decks are US games & AGM. The card sizes, the lamination / finishes are always perfect for me.

But, that said, I still check the LS decks out when they are published, just in case .... !

UrbanFool

I tend to gravitate toward the LS decks because the artwork seems nicer and well thought-out. But on closer observation, there seem to be a lot of crap decks coming out like "Pirates" that the only intent is to capitalize on whatever's popular right now.

Crescent

UrbanFool said:
I tend to gravitate toward the LS decks because the artwork seems nicer and well thought-out. But on closer observation, there seem to be a lot of crap decks coming out like "Pirates" that the only intent is to capitalize on whatever's popular right now.

I tend to agree. There are alot of "trendy" decks out and coming out now. I tend to look for ones I feel will be meaningful for many yrs to come.

Syrah

Crescent said:
Hi Karen
I am waiting on the Universal Tarot by LS... should be here in a day or two.. I like it much better then the Universal Rider deck.

I just started using this a couple of weeks ago, and I really like it. I find that a lot of the people in other RWS decks look cartoony, but I don't think that about the figures in the LS Universal. They seem to be much more realistic. Also, I really like the colours they used. It's turned out to be a great starter deck for me.

I've looked through images of a lot of decks recently, and I find that I too am more drawn to LS decks. It may change in the future, but that's what's working for me right now.

morticia monroe

The only Publisher that can sell me by virtue of their name alone is Magic Realist Press. Never met an MRP deck I didn't like....

My favorite LS deck by far is the Secret Forest.

MysticalMoose

I have a varied selection of decks, quite a number of Llewellyn ones, more than I realised now I have counted them! ~ including Medieval Enchantment, The Llewellyn, Legend Arthurian,Revelations, Mystic Faerie,Waking The Wild Spirit, Gilded,Animals Divine, Sacred Circle, Robin Wood, Witches Tarot, Celtic Dragon Tarot,along with The Fairy Ring & Greer's Sacred Geometry Oracle.

LS decks are just not for me, I have had a fair few & traded or sold them all. I always find the illustrations too small, borders too intrusive & I don't like all the different languages at the top & more recently they have seemed to me to be very gimmicky in their subjects.

MM :D

rwcarter

Ah, the great thing about being AR and having a spreadsheet of all your decks is that you can sort them by Publisher rather quickly.... :D

I have 78 titles by Lo Scarabeo, 75 by U.S. Games and 31 by Llewellyn. Considering I have ~400 titles, that means I have a lot of stuff from assorted publishers. I have more of the current stuff from LoS, while most of what I have from USG is of more of the vintage variety.

Rodney