A Matter of Conscience

Athena Maia

While reading for a close friend a very personal issue (of his) came out. I feel quite guilty to be in possession of this knowledge, as it is none of my business. And though I will not share this knowledge, it does trouble me. Maybe if someone had been in a similar position they could tell me how they handled it? I am quite new to tarot, and this is my first time in this position.

Thanks for your help..
Blessed Be

balenciaga

Just keep it to yourself.
As a tarot reader you will become privy to everyone's private stuff. Some of it is pleasant, but most of it is not. There will be a lot you won't want to know (wish you never knew). It happens to all of us because it comes with the territory (like psychotherapists). Personally, I detach myself from others when I read. I really don't want to embrace the info; I just want to pass it along for the benefit of the querent - the info speaks to them.

Athena Maia

thanks a lot for that..it was somewhat distressing for both of us, particularly as it included a mutual friend. but its not nearly enough to make me give up reading, so i guess as long as i keep my mouth shut all is well.

thanks again

Sinduction

Yes, I agree. For me, the same confidentiality rules apply.

Of course, now I don't remember anything at all after I read for people so it's easier to keep quiet! :D

The surprising ones from friends are the worst though. I try my best to forget things like that if at all possible. But I'm one of those with an awful memory and I fear I may let things slip because I forget it's supposed to be a secret. Not that I'm a gossip, I mean like when I see that person again and ask them how something is working out, only to remember once the words come out that it was a secret.

So now I just forget every reading as soon as it's done. Even though now I feel callous because I don't keep track of important things in my friends' lives. I figure, if they want to talk about it they can initiate the conversation and hopefully my memory will kick back in.

It gets easier as you go along. :)

mary ventura

I was a Registered Nurse for many years. In that profession you find out things about people that you normally wouldn't know . . . if these people are also friends, the knowledge just has to be tucked away in your brain. It adds a layer of understanding for that person; you can't "un-know" it but you can compartmentalize it. And if it includes something about a third party, that makes it all the more complex and layered -- just think of that old Japanese movie "Rashamon", where a certain incident is related from the point of view of several different people, and you'd think they were describing different incidents!

Mary V

Grizabella

I don't dwell on it. Like Sinduction, I forget the readings anyway. But if you don't dwell on it and you turn your attention to all the things going on in your own life, it will soon leave the uppermost part of your memory, get buried, and you'll no longer think about it.

Alta

I think it was lark's post a while ago where I first saw the idea of just forgetting readings after you do them. They are for others and they are their lives. I really try and just let it slip away like dream material.

gregory

I agree. It's like your doctor - he will never remember what is wrong with you if you meet him in the supermarket. (Trust me; I know this !!!)

Opal12

I'm a teacher, and I learn a lot of "secrets" about families through the children. Unless someone's talking suicide, or I find out about abuse of children, I keep my mouth shut. ;)

I apply the same logic to tarot. I feel like we have some of the same responsibilities as psychologists and alike. If someone starts down that path, I feel ethically-bound to report it to the proper authorities (which is probably why I try not to do a lot of readings for others...).

I hope your situation isn't anything so serious as all that!

re-pete-a

For this person, the trick is to hold no judgement as to the info,. Nothing sticks in the mind unless it is placed into JUDGEMENT. That sets into motion all sorts of actions,good,bad,juicy,private,wrong,etc.