Tarot lessons...

Demon Goddess

I was asked to give a course at a local health practitioner's boutique.

I'm so excited about it, I'm jumping out of my skin...

But... I haven't got the slightest idea how to do even write a course outline...

Has someone got an old one that I could plagiarize? I promise to give full credit where credit is due.

Grizabella

How many sessions will you have to do it in?

If it's several, I'd use the first session to find out what they want to learn most about and then doing some one-card readings for an ice breaker---stuff like that. Then you can go home and design the course around what the students most want.

I'd bet all they want is to learn to read the cards, not Tarot history. ;)

Symbolism. Saying what you see. Keeping a journal. Learning by doing. Those are very helpful things for them to know.

Ange

One I've seen asks you to go through the minors card by card, and 'look' at what you see, and write down the meaning you think you get from the card in a notebook....then you look the card up.

The notebook writing is used as a homework....

The majors are gone through in a similar fashion.

Ang x

magpie9

Get Professional Tarot by Jette. In the back she has a tarot course & workshop all laid out. It's a very good starting place--nice and organized.
Best of luck!

Demon Goddess

Well, those are great suggestions, but I was rather hoping someone had an already existing course outline... I'm lazy like that. :D

Actually, if I don't come up with something, Griz, it's just like me to fly by the seat of my pants, so yours' is a perfect suggestion.

I haven't been given any limits for time, I was simply asked if I would like to give lessons... I'm thinking there might be a way to have something perpetual, that anyone could pop in on at anytime... That way there is no "start" or "finish" it's just something that you could pay for by the class. I don't know if something like that would even have merit...

Any thoughts?

Demon Goddess

magpie9 said:
Get Professional Tarot by Jette. In the back she has a tarot course & workshop all laid out. It's a very good starting place--nice and organized.
Best of luck!

We cross-posted!

I will look for the book. Have you used the course, Magpie?

Grizabella

If you wanted to make it a perpetual thing, that would mean getting very creative with how you organize it so that beginners could meld into the more advanced class. I think it would be perfect to have the more advanced students read for the new students---what better way for them to learn, huh? On both sides.

But then you'd run the risk of people coming in for the first couple of lessons just to get a free reading, I guess. Unless you required a set number of lessons they had to attend (say 5 or 6) and then the reading would have to be an exchange, where the newbie had to also read for the advanced student.

But then how would you keep the advanced students from having to sit through boring, repetitive beginner classes?

Hmmmm.

I'm a seat-of-the-pants-er myself, by the way. :D

Demon Goddess

Grizabella said:
If you wanted to make it a perpetual thing, that would mean getting very creative with how you organize it so that beginners could meld into the more advanced class. I think it would be perfect to have the more advanced students read for the new students---what better way for them to learn, huh? On both sides.

But then you'd run the risk of people coming in for the first couple of lessons just to get a free reading, I guess. Unless you required a set number of lessons they had to attend (say 5 or 6) and then the reading would have to be an exchange, where the newbie had to also read for the advanced student.

But then how would you keep the advanced students from having to sit through boring, repetitive beginner classes?

Hmmmm.

I'm a seat-of-the-pants-er myself, by the way. :D

Excellent thoughts, Griz, I think keeping the advanced readers occupied will get easier, they'd be studying pathworking and maybe even astrology and numbers, that sort of thing... So, the first half of the class would focus on techniques and cards and basics, which I think are just as valuable for us old-timers to focus on as the newbies, and then the second half would be the readings. The interesting part, is I can bring in guest speakers for the technical stuff that I don't know... I have a friend who is a famous numerologist, and another friend who is an astrologer. I think it could be quite interesting.

To keep people from just coming for "free readings" for the price I intend to charge, as if it were a community college course... There'd be a membership fee, and then a weekly attendance fee. I'm thinking.

Alta

Scion ran a tarot course this past winter, try PM'ing him.

Demon Goddess

Yes, I remember...

A message has already been sent to the good man... I have my fingers crossed. :)