Need help with my tarot journey

Shadow213

I just bought a new deck and read the beginners guide in the using tarot cards forum and I'M REALLY CONFUSED???? CAN SOME ONE HELP PLEASE?

Bloudwedd

Heh! Welcome to the club! I have read ta rot for over 15 years and they still confuses me.... What is it hat confused you?

/Anna

Shadow213

one thing is how to start using a new deck like i said i read the guide and it made me even more confused then when i first started. I have a couple of firends that want readings and i wish i had my old deck back cause that one was very much broken in and i could read almost instantly but as far as new decks i need help knowing how to set them up properly. like do I have to reverse some of the cards myself or do i leave the deck alone until i do a reading. I have had some experince with it but that was 6-7 years ago and I forgot how to do it.

penelope802

Which deck is your new deck, and why are you confused?

lark

Just take it out of the box and shuffle shuffle shuffle..
look through all the cards
shuffle.. shuffle.. shuffle
look through all the cards
shuffle.. shuffle.. shuffle
in other words handle it, get to know it, you'll be friends in no time.

Shadow213

do i flip some of the cards so they appear reversed is what i want to know

lark

It is all a personal decision...I leave all the cards upright and let my client shuffle ...if they shuffle reversals into the deck then I feel those were ment to be.
Some people take about a third of the deck and reverse it and then shuffle those in....some a half...
Anything really goes there is no hard, fast rule to it.

Although I did read in a book called "Chances are: Adventures in Probability" that for a deck to be truly randomly shuffled you need to shuffle at least 7 times.

GryffinSong

Many of us don't read reversals at all. I feel that beginners have enough to deal with without trying to figure out what an upside down card means. The art of the card contains images that make sense upright. If something confuses you, you can wait to deal with it, or never do it at all. In fact, I've heard of many people who started without reversals, started doing them, and then went back to no reversals after years of using them.

That said, I guess the easiest way to get reversed cards if you do want to use them is to split the deck and switch one hand so that it's upside down, then shuffle them together. Repeat as needed.

Here's what I would do if I were you. I'd simply spend time with the deck in any way you like, getting to know it. Don't worry about what it all means yet, don't worry about how it's "supposed" to go. Just look at the images and write down what you see, and what impressions you get from them. Let your imagination go wild. If you see a little bird in the corner, and you're reminded of a lovely bird song, write that down. YOUR impressions are the most important things.

Tarot is about intuition and archetypes. If you get a strong impression about a card, that will be more important FOR YOU than a book meaning.

Have fun!!! :D

rwcarter

Shadow213 said:
do i flip some of the cards so they appear reversed is what i want to know
If you choose to use reversals in your readings, then, yes, you need to reverse some of the cards. One method to do this is to cut the deck into 3 piles, select one and reverse the whole thing. Reassemble to cards and continue to shuffle. When I first started learning tarot, I would shuffle *7 times, cut into 3 piles, reverse one of them, and reassemble the deck. I would repeat from * two more times and then pull the cards from the top of the deck.

Modify the above so that it fits your shuffling method.

Rodney

Shadow213

Thank you all I will do my best to figure it out and post here again if I run into another road block. I actually tried a reading on myself with reversals and it was pretty accurate in what I wanted to know but I wasn't sure if I was reading it right which is why I started this thread so that any new person can get some insight not just me.