back up copies of decks and regrets

aceofhearts

not too long ago I hit the 'add to cart' button thinking I was making a great purchase on two decks by Carlo DellaRocca Classic Tarot. I opened one to find that the minors have very little if any detail on them. I adore detail and images that perplex me so I can delve much deeper into the psyche. For me this is a slightly irritating purchase.I find I cant dig deeper when using the cards. I simply cant find a route to my subconcious and the cards are sitting immaculately in a brown envelope. for me I think it was the buzz of buying them that made me add them to my collection and the apprehension of waiting for their arrival. sheer idulgence. I sat looking at them rather upset thinking I was being greedy eventhough it was at a bargain sale price for 2. almost a BOGOF offer.

Question is:)
Have you ever ordered a deck thought it was going to be the love of your life? then ordered the back up copy only to realise it was pure impulse?

northsea

Not quite, because I didn't expect it to be the love of my life, but I ordered 2 copies of a black&white golden dawn-based deck from an online vendor and quickly got rid of them because I like Wang's deck much better, and felt like I made an impulse purchase in retrospect. So a slightly irritating purchase for me too. I feel your pain. :>

Myrrha

aceofhearts, there are quite a few readers here who like the decks that have "pips", or non-figurative minors. I think the one you have is also called a "Soprafino" deck. I also think it is out of print. I saw one on Amazon for $98, although Amazon sellers are sometimes out of their minds with the prices they ask.

Still, you might be able to trade it for a deck you like better or sell it in the trading forum.

Is this the one?

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Tarot...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216566746&sr=8-1

Le Fanu

If it is this one, Id be quite keen to trade. Fancy swapping it for the Radiant Rider Waite?

:)

aceofhearts

Yes,that is the deck. I already have the radiant RWS as a back up to my old RWS. I am not looking to trade as yet as I havent thought hard or long enough about what I would want to trade it for. I should have at least said thank you for the offer.

WolfSpirit

No, I have never bought two copies of one deck at the same time or shortly after each other.
I have bought back-up copies for decks that I already knew were well loved, and I usually pick one up in a trade or when it's on offer.
Unless you really think the deck is going to be hard to find real soon, there is no need to hurry in getting a back-up :)

tarotlyn

aceofhearts...Sorry that happened to you...that is an awful way to learn.

It probably is a good idea to try to see as many of the deck's images as
you can find online "before" purchasing...

Here is what I do that is very quick!!! :

I do a google "IMAGE SEARCH" for the deck in question.

Here is a good link to get started (I keep this Page bookmarked right on my browser bar):
http://images.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi

I just type the name of the deck into the search bar...
...remembering to "add" the word "tarot" to the "end"

sample: fenestra tarot

You don't need to use caps either as the search is not case sensitive.

This method will bring up images of the deck...and you can see if the
site has just a few or several images of the deck you want to know more about.

It works for me and quickly too!
I use it just about every day!

Another thing I do if I end up with a deck I don't care for:
I put it aside in a large plastic baggie with some rose scent on cotton...
making sure the cotton does not touch the deck or deck set.
Then I will try to trade them or sell them or even gift them to someone.
that might like them better. :)

:) :love: tarotlyn

shaveling

WolfSpirit said:
Unless you really think the deck is going to be hard to find real soon, there is no need to hurry in getting a back-up :)
Actually, I think that may be the case with this particular deck. If I found two copies for cheap today, I'd snatch them up.

All Is One

I have certainly gotten very excited about many decks and then been disappointed. Sometimes the cards shown were the "good" ones and the only four I'd seen before purchase were the select four. Then the rest of the deck was not nearly as good.

Other times it was such an impulse buy that I almost deserved to be disappointed.

It always seems to be something of a gamble. Many decks I liked a lot were less than well printed. I have a big issue with decks that are on cheap, poorly laminated card stock. I don't understand why some great decks have no lamination.

I've heard others complain that some decks are too laminated.

Anyway, my tastes go towards heavier gloss.

As for back up decks, as has been mentioned already, I only buy duplicates of my very favorite tried and true decks.

Logiatrix

I just did this last week. The price of the deck is largely why I felt no harm in buying two. It was a bargain bin kit, so the cost of two still did not equal the regular price of an average deck. However, now I'm wondering, what was I thinking? Not "backup deck", because I wasn't one to go that route. I guess I was thinking of trade value; it is true, I can at least turn it in for trade credit.

As for the backup thing, I'm starting to think that's not such a bad idea, though I initially didn't get it. After looking for one of my favorite decks from years ago, I'm actually considering buying duplicates of my two current decks. That one fiasco now has me convinced that duplicates of favorite decks makes sense.
:)