A Sad, One-Deck Misfit

Elnor

Sometimes, I think I have some kind of Tarot blockage.

I got my first deck when I was about 15, (too many years ago to tally up) and I can't even remember how it came about- all I recall is that I saw the cards in a magazine and just knew that I HAD to have them. Didn't know anyone who read Tarot, and knew absolutely nothing about it- but I simply had to have them; they were like a magnet and to this day I have no idea why the pull was so strong.
(My Dad nearly had heart failure :eek: when he caught me playing Tarot gin rummy with a friend after school- honestly! I don't recommend it.)

That deck was the RWS, and no matter how hard I've tried I cannot read with anything else.
I spend hours looking at other decks, and I buy them and make every effort to connect with them... but I just can't do it.

I am really envious of all those here who have dozens, if not hundreds of decks that they can read with- (plus, I think it would be nice to at least be able to offer a client the option of having a reading with something else... at the moment it's either Rider-Waite, RWS, or... if they're VERY good- Hoi Polloi.:rolleyes:)

So, I was just wondering if there are any others here who only read just with one deck: and if so... have you tried others, or do you prefer to stick with just the one and aren't bothered?

Just curious... and it's the sort of thing I worry about at 3:00 in the morning.

elnor the insomniac

moderndayruth

Oh, Elnor, yours sounds like a beautiful love story to me! :D
(And 'monogamous' one as well ;))
You are imo an 'one deck person', so what? As far as you do meaningful readings with RWS - why would you bother? I began collecting decks, which i do enjoy to the bits, i study TdM but for the readings it's still RWS or RWS-based Tarot of Prague ;)

Grizabella

Elnor said:
I am really envious of all those here who have dozens, if not hundreds of decks that they can read with

They may read with them, but that doesn't mean they read well with them. ;)

Not that they don't read well with them, either, in some cases---don't want to get rotten tomatoes thrown my way. :p

I do believe that if we spend a lot of time with just one deck, we're going to form a good bond with it and be able to read much better with it than if we just fly from this deck to the next and don't really spend quality time with any of them. It sounds like you've developed a very good bond with your first deck. I don't think anyone really needs more than one deck when you come right down to it. And sitters don't really care whether you offer them more than one deck, either. They're interested in what the cards have to say to them, not in how many pretty decks you can read with. :)

All Is One

Don't feel bad! I don't know how long you've been trying to connect with other decks...I could just give you the patronizing answer that "you'll get there." But I think you should be pleased that you read so well with even one deck. It is "your" deck. There is no reason that you need to learn to read with other decks. No reason at all!

GreenMoonBeam

I think that it is great that you have a bond with your deck. So to me it means
that you get the best of your knowledge from the deck: that in turn gives you
encouragement and enjoyment. Once a person starts to add words like blockage
eTc, then ,to me, it creates just that. 'Kind of like if it ain't broke, don't fix it'

Logiatrix

Staying devoted to one deck is admirable and honorable. There's no need to fight it, as you're bound to get deck addiction soon enough...or maybe never. It doesn't matter. Either way, you'll get plenty of support.:D

If you're terribly torn up about switching to a different deck, there is a thread about that, right here. Some good advice was offered; I recently applied a mix of those suggestions, and have thus retired my old deck.

It's totally up to you, though. You don't have to be like other people with hundreds (or just a dozen) of decks. IMHO, querents probably won't notice if you have a variety of decks to choose from; what they will notice, though, is your comfort level as you read. Therefore, you should go with what makes you the most comfortable.
:love:

MysticalMoose

I think its wonderful that you are so happy with your deck & have been for that amount of time. & more to the point that you can read well with it! ~ I am hopelessly addicted to decks, I have my select few favourites which are my main reading decks but I get so excited & swayed by the lure of 'yet another breathtaking deck' that I dont always give each deck the time & attention it deserves...:rolleyes: I blame AT! :D

MM :party: (awaiting the arrival of another 2 decks as I type) :D

Alta

I am positive that you are missing nothing and saving some money by sticking with one deck. No doubt it reads easily and fluidly for you because you are aware of every nuance. I see no problem with that!!!!

Alta

cricket

I'm one of those that has a collection going, but only one deck to read with. Every once in a while I'll try with another, but... nah, not so much. Not so good.

Be glad it was so easy for you to find that one you can use well! Sometimes it takes literally dozens of trial and error decks to find it.

stella01904

While I'd much recommend at least looking into TdM and Thoth, there's no reason
to read a bazillion versions of RWS featuring fairies, Norsemen, cats, witches, Victorians, SpongeBob, The Dukes of Hazzard, McDonald's, Tidy Bowl, Dick Cheney, Miley and Billy Ray Cyrus, etc. etc. One RWS is sufficient.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU...REPEAT...THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU.