To Read or Not To Read....

FaeryGodmother

..... when you are just not in the mood? If, for example, you promised someone a reading at a certain time and come that time you just find yourself, not in the mood (not sick or upset or anything just not in the mood) do you keep your promise and read anyway? Or put it off till your in a better mood?

If you do read anyway, are your readings just as good when your not in the mood as when you are?

Dave.vdv

I always try to do them if i promised, and mostly the readings are about the same as always some good some not so good.
Only time is when i'm tired and not verry energetic my readings arent really good so in that case i just say sorry i'll do them later, mostly one or two days want make that much different.

But i don't read person to person that much yet, so i don't know what i do about that, kind of harder if you made an appointment of some sort.
Geuss you feel what is best yourself.

214red

Hi FGM,

i have those times when i just cant focus. if i have promised a reading i do it, with a disclaimer, if it doesnt resonate with them then i will do it again another time.
sometimes its like going to that party you werent in the mood for, but when you get there you love it...once your into the swing of it.

Nik

Alta

Hi FGM, I have been wondering this myself. As I have been feeling out going pro with reading, I have been wondering how one reads on days when I am tired, frustrated or whatever.... which is to say, unfocused. Now of course, I just don't read those days.

I just had about 5 or 6 days of mini-Towers, events that just keep throwing me off and though I have done some readings and they seem okay, still, wondering about that.

Alta

blackroseivy

This is interesting here to me also, because I am quite looking forward to looking into being a live reader (as I said in "Professional Tarot"). It seems to me rather a job hazard, if you are say, reading in an environment wherein YOU are not choosing the schedule. I am thinking of working a bookstore or some such place.

I think that if you REALLY are off, you can always do what 214red suggests, & either give them a rain-check or at least a follow-up (I would say either reduced price or free). But that's "professional" talk. ;)

If it is for friends, or otherwise free - by all means, a rain-check seems reasonable. If they don't think so, then perhaps you aren't the reader for them...

The crowned one

(EDIT: I have the luxury of being able to).........(I) only read when I feel up to it, unless circumstances are such that I must read now...that is pretty rare. I have disappointed people by saying "sorry I just can not read today". I feel bad about it, but I do not like doing 1/2 assed readings and that is what they might get if I did read. This is not your average 7-3 type of job, but generally I can meditate myself into being able to read on a bad day...but not always.

balenciaga

I am better in the AM, if I can beat my rational/logical faculties from taking over. I have a hard time reading for someone in the evening.

214red

if its a friend, you should be allowed to say you are having an off day and they shouldnt mind. if its professional it depends what your intergrity is like, if its your day job then perhaps you will need to find a way round it...or do some professional readers still take the money for an iffy reading?

i have come accross a few problems reading for close friends, mainly wimping out of telling them the reading as its too close the bone for them.

How do you guys deal with readings for friends when the reading is very bad ? I did a few love readings for a friend, and basically the readings all had the same theme..."nothing is coming along , because you dont go out..."

Nik

Promise

I've personally never been able to read for others when I'm unfocused, whether it's because I'm tired or sick or very emotional or simply not "in the zone"; the cards always wind up talking to me instead of my sitter. If it's mild, I can usually light a candle and put on some music and coax myself into reading, but not all the time.

I would much rather take a rain-check than produce a totally crap reading for someone. I think people respond to honesty and lot better than they respond to veiled intent; if you politely and honestly explain why you aren't up to reading, most people will respond to that positively. But if you try to force it and read when you know you shouldn't and then have to spend the majority of your time explaining why the reading isn't your best, people may not respond so well.

Just my $0.02 of course, and I do think that it might be a bit different if we were talking paid readings. Money talks, and maybe there might be more incentive to at least give it the old college try to try to appease a good client. In that situation, I might provide the reading at a discount and offer a follow-up consultation.

Scarlet27

I know what you mean. I've promised readings a couple of times, and in one or two occasions I just didn't feel like doing them.
I try to keep my promises, but I understand it's no good to read when I feel obliged or under pressure... the reading just falls apart and becomes inconsistent, and I'd rather make that person wait a day -or maybe a couple of hours- until I'm more in the mood for a reading, than give them a vague interpretation of the cards =)