PDA

View Full Version : aeclectic too big for newbies........

faunabay
25-07-2008, 02:01
I wasn't sure where to put this thread. So, of course you can move it if you need to. :)

I have sent 2 new people here to aeclectic in the last couple of months. Both of them said they got overwhelmed with how big the site is and haven't come back. They would like to beable to come in and feel comfortable but it's just too large for them right off the bat.

Now I've been around for so long that as the site grew larger I slowly figured out which areas I wanted to keep up with and which ones I pretty much just ignore now.

How can I (we) make it easier for newbies coming in? Does anyone have any suggestions that I can give my friends to help them beable to feel more comfortable coming in?

I had them come to aeclectic tarot. Maybe I should have had them just come to the forum and ignore the rest for now? Or just come to specific parts of the forum at first? :confused: What do you all think?

Pao
25-07-2008, 02:24
I'm confused. what do you mean by they left because its too big? there are too many people or too many thread sections? they can start of in the talking tarot section and using cards and move on from there....I'm cofused...

faunabay
25-07-2008, 02:36
OK, this is what they told me.........

They came to the site - and I'm assuming it was the home aeclectic page, not the forum - and got overwhelmed by so much information they left. Now of course, it could have been they just didn't want to take the time to go through all that info. (shrug)

But I was just wondering if there is someway I can make it easier on them coming in for the first time. Assuming of course that they want to. :laugh:

One of the people is new to tarot and wants to learn. Maybe pointing her towards Thirteen's area going through each card????? Which I'm not even sure where that's at, but I can find it. :P

Pao
25-07-2008, 02:41
ohh. well if you mean this here ( http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=3625) you can find it on the using tarot cards thread on top :D I started off by going to talking tarot and using cards section. its the ones I used to learn. They can go to the exchange to see how others read. those 3 are good at first. once they feel more comfortable they can move to others maybe. its only my opinion tho i dont know if it would help them :bugeyed:

x_shadow_xx
25-07-2008, 02:53
Well speaking from a newbie point of view, I found this site very easy.

I first found this site after googling tarot meanings, and found the descriptions, and thirteens notes very helpful and I learned a lot in a week.
Then I noticed the forum and had a little click around 'tarot fun', 'using tarot cards' and 'tarot spreads' before I joined.

I kinda stick to these threads, the 'learn' section and now that I have enough posts I am using the newly granted 'your readings' threads to flex my tarot muscle :D

GryffinSong
25-07-2008, 03:19
I would probably point them to the discussion forums and recommend a couple to try at first. Talking tarot, for instance. I can see where trying to sort through all the info on the main site and the forum might get a little confusing. But in the forum they can discuss with people and ask questions, which might be more friendly than trying to find useful things to read?

good luck.

faunabay
25-07-2008, 03:27
Thanks for your suggestions. Since I have been around here for so long I truely can't think like a new person to this site and I know there are places I don't go myself that might be good for newbies. So I thought it would be nice to hear some suggestions from others.

Everything you all have pointed out sounds great. And Pao, thanks for the link to Thirteen's beginner area. And GriffinSong, that's what I thought too - that getting them to come to the forum would be nice to talk to others, ask questions, and just read what others have said. One of the things I like about aeclectic is sometimes people will bring up something I've never even thought about and I get information I would have never thought to ask about.

Shadow213
25-07-2008, 06:19
I'm a noob and I uausally just stick around the forum and see where I can get and I try to make friends and see if they can help me, of course that's what I do on all sites is try to make at least one friend and then find out what they know and figure out how the site works then I branch out from there. So far for me it's worked pretty good I need to make more friends here so that I can get more info on this site.

Moonbow
25-07-2008, 06:40
This is a big site, I agree, but its certainly friendly and the members are very willing to help new people. I would suggest spending some time reading the different forums, and definitely introducing themselves in New Members, its the first step to getting to know other people.

The moderators can also be PMd, and will gladly point people in the right direction and answer questions (as will members).

Its worth remembering the stickies at the top of each forum too. I know its tempting to skip over them, but they are stickies for a reason.... the information they provide will help to navigate the forum and know where to post.

Grizabella
25-07-2008, 09:19
Yeah, the stickies are very important. Especially in the Your Readings forum. ;)

Maybe they don't realize that even though we have thousands of members, the core of regular members who post a lot is quite small by comparison and we're a very close-knit, friendly group.

I use this link: http://www.tarotforum.net and it brings me right to the discussion forum. Maybe you could give them that link and it would work better for them.

gregory
25-07-2008, 09:34
I got here all by myself when googling for something. I found what I was looking for, and stuck around (lurking for a long while.) I don't know if I would have if someone had just sent me here sort of randomly. So I'd suggest - if you are sending someone - try sending them to a bit of this place that addresses why you think they would like it. (Like someone said, Thirteen's area, or the Thoth subforum, or a study thread for their favourite deck.... instant rapport, sort of. An incentive to stay)

AJ
25-07-2008, 09:38
I started to respond to this thread this morning and then didn't but it sounds more like they need a little primer on forums in general rather than having a problem with AT.

I've seen members who've been here for years comment that they didn't know about new posts, or unselecting a section so it doesn't or does come up, or blocked members...maybe if you could help them with that they'd be more comfortable. Because if you are new to forums period it doesn't matter if there are 10 members or 10,000, you can do a lot of flopping around aimlessly.

Tell 'em to come on back... :)

GreenMoonBeam
25-07-2008, 09:47
Before I joined I kept 'finding' Aeclectic Tarot with google as I looked at matters
Tarot. Luckily I had some knowledge of forums and realized from the get-go
that a newbie may be better to concentrate on just several areas. I did this
and early on took the next step, became a subscriber. Maybe suggest to the
friends they look at say x2 areas to find out more. Another threat I like is
the de-enabling thread. Seen a number of Tarot there that I never knew.

I have yet to find one harsh word from anyone. To give an example, I asked
a question about a certain Knight and his characteristics but it was the wrong
suit. I was answered most 'gently'. LOL.
It takes time,yes, and I hope your friends can be encouraged to return. Why
do they not see this site as a journey of learning and adventure? Like any
traveller, I know they would get encouragement. jmo.

faunabay
25-07-2008, 12:16
I think it was mostly the way I presented the site to them. I just told them to go to aeclectic tarot. Said something about it was a great, friendly tarot and spirituality site....blah, blah, blah. (giggle)

So I really didn't give them any direction at all. Then when they accessed the main home page I think it threw them because they had no idea it was so big.

Anyway I'd like to at least try and remedy that oversite on my part and give them a small amount of areas to try first. And like I said, since I pretty much stay in my own little corner (faery) :laugh: of the site I wanted some suggestions from others.

And I also want to apologize for my thread title. It does seem to have given a little bit of the wrong impression for what I was asking. I probably could have put it a little better. There's nothing wrong with aeclectic!!! I love it the way it is. :*

I just didn't know the best way to present it to my friends - who I'd love to have join. Maybe that's part of it. I'm trying to get people to join who might not be truely interested in it right now. (shrug)

GreenMoonBeam
25-07-2008, 12:41
Me again! Don't forget you can lead a horse to water but you can not make it
drink. Best to suggest some parts and let the journey start. :love:

Solandia
25-07-2008, 14:58
It's interesting to read how everyone found Aeclectic and the forum :)

Faunabay, there are two pages that might be helpful for newbies who are a bit overwhelmed by all the info...

For the main Aeclectic site, the Intro to Aeclectic (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/intro.shtml).

And for the forum, the New Members FAQ (http://www.tarotforum.net/announcement.php?f=19&announcementid=92).

~ Solandia

Moonson
25-07-2008, 15:03
i'm a newbie in tarot, but i really don't agree with that...

AT site is really easy to browse. The sections are all divided by topics, and the links are highlighted. I've found sites a lot more confusing than this.

Now, if we start talking about the forum, is a bit diferent... i was overwhelmed with the amount of info i found! i had to go back to the beggining several times to read the topics and decide what i wanted to see. It's was a bit confusing the first time i got in the forum.

faunabay
26-07-2008, 01:39

Faunabay, there are two pages that might be helpful for newbies who are a bit overwhelmed by all the info...

For the main Aeclectic site, the Intro to Aeclectic (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/intro.shtml).

And for the forum, the New Members FAQ (http://www.tarotforum.net/announcement.php?f=19&announcementid=92).

~ Solandia
Thanks Solandia. Those sound like just where I should direct them!!! See I didn't even know there were such pages as those. :laugh:

Alta
26-07-2008, 01:41
I am embarrassed to say that I wasn't aware of the New Member's FAQ either and have bookmarked it.

gregory
26-07-2008, 02:15
I am embarrassed to say that I wasn't aware of the New Member's FAQ either and have bookmarked it.
I am hugely amused to say that this is the funniest post I have seen all day and I am delighted to have the opportunity for a good giggle... :laugh: (Now I shall go and have a look too, mind !)

ETA WOW !!!!! bookmarked. Seriously useful stuff, and not just for newbies !

All of a sudden I feel less inferior than usual ;)

BTW Alta, you have e-mail.... :*

Major Tom
26-07-2008, 03:16
It's a valid concern. I've send loads of people here and have had several come back and tell me it's overwhelming or that it takes too much time or even just that it's huge.

I'm not sure there is a cure. I certainly wouldn't want to change anything. Some folks are naturally shy. The new members FAQ is a very helpful link.

UrbanFool
26-07-2008, 03:26
Since the beginning, I just click "new posts" and also have my bookmark set to that. It's still a lot of posts, but it's manageable, and then I can browse if I want to post.

Kelly

afrosaxon
26-07-2008, 03:47

~ Solandia

There's a New Member FAQ? :bugeyed:

I recently managed to find the list of smilies. :laugh:

But seriously...these are good resources but, from what I've seen, newbies aren't taking the time to visit these links, let alone READ the contents; the questions posed bear witness to that.

Some may think that AT is a classroom (as in, one teacher to a group for a set period of time) and that all they have to do is sit down and someone will teach them, one on one, and they'll leave when class is over...lather, rinse, repeat. *shaking head*

Maybe granting newbies only access to the "Index of The Cards", "Thirteen's REVERSALS Index" in the Using Tarot Cards section, and Talking Tarot upon sign-up, THEN after a certain number of posts they can get access to the rest of the board? I've seen a site actually do something similar, and it weeded out the non-contributors.

OR...has anyone tried to email the Customer Service Dept. of an online shopping site, only to get an automated reply with your case number AND links to the FAQs? Maybe this can be reenacted, post-wise

"Hi ___, thank you for your question and welcome to AT! You may want to look in this link/area/post for helpful hints. If your question still isnt' answered, come on back and we'll be happy to help you. Blessings, Moderator." :D

It's been hinted that it's mean to post links in response to questions that have already been answered (and, for some topics, this spans MANY threads--like the book vs. intuition debate). I applaud those with the patience to keep answering these questions again...and again...and again.

This is turning into a rant, so I'll stop here. :cool:

T.

The crowned one
26-07-2008, 04:42
Its a community. Like moving to any new community it is as overwhelming or as worthwhile as you make it. Use the resources, make friends, learn, teach and explore..oh and ride the rails.

If you are easily overwhelmed start small, introduce yourself and maybe stick to a sub forum of your deck of choice and perhaps the chat. If you try to take Paris, London or Rome in in a day you are either going to be exhausted, confused and disheartened, or swept off your feet! Same with this site. Choose your comfort pace and explore.

No place is too big for new idea's and faces.

moderndayruth
26-07-2008, 06:55
Its a community. Like moving to any new community it is as overwhelming or as worthwhile as you make it. Use the resources, make friends, learn, teach and explore..oh and ride the rails.

If you are easily overwhelmed start small, introduce yourself and maybe stick to a sub forum of your deck of choice and perhaps the chat. If you try to take Paris, London or Rome in in a day you are either going to be exhausted, confused and disheartened, or swept off your feet! Same with this site. Choose your comfort pace and explore.

I agree with The crowned one :thumbsup:
I also think it depends on the 'level of desire' hypothetical newbie has - when there is a will, there is a way ;)
AT was my first forum ever, i have lousy technical skills and my English is... well, ehmm... :joke: ... but i still i manage somehow :D

FaireMaiden
26-07-2008, 07:47
I'm a little confused... Do you mean this page is too big/difficult? http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/

I agree, it's a bit of a read, but it's really not difficult at all... pretty straight-forward if you ask me... it just takes a few minutes to read thru to see where you want to go...

If they want an example of hard, send them on over to HP.com... I went over to their online 'service parts' this morning to find a part for my computer and, wow, is that place a mess!... ended up calling the toll-free number for help instead, *lol*

I agree with the others... Solandia's suggestion of the page for newbies, and also giving someone the url to a specific forum or thread to start with...

Emerald_Empress
26-07-2008, 10:10
When I was new, I surfed around a fair bit trying to soak up all the information in the threads. It was overwhelming! So I eased in by sticking to what I knew, and that was Rider Waite and Oracle, till I was brave enough to go into other sections. I agree it is overwhelming but my advice to newbies is to stick to what you know, and hang around the "Fun" sections!

Formicida
26-07-2008, 12:17
Perhaps it would be wise to put a sticky with a link to the new member FAQ at the top of the new members forum? Or direct people to it when they sign up? Since few of us know about it, it seems like it isn't doing much good right now.

gregory
26-07-2008, 22:41
Perhaps it would be wise to put a sticky with a link to the new member FAQ at the top of the new members forum? Or direct people to it when they sign up? Since few of us know about it, it seems like it isn't doing much good right now.
Oh it is now - and not just for newbies :D

Enchanted Luna
27-07-2008, 00:04
Being a noob myself, I found Aeclectic by accident, and happily spent much time checking out the different areas of the site before even checking out the forum. When I found the forum, it was love at first sight! Lots to see and learn. I did/do not find it overwhelming at all. I suppose if you're not willing to take the time to check out what the site has to offer and give it a chance, then you're missing out on a whole wealth of info and fun! That's just my opinion though.... :)

All in all, I love it here and want to thank all of you for doing such a great job!!

Blessings and light to all,

Lady Lasairfhiona

MysticalMoose
27-07-2008, 01:13
Agreed! I love the site. I found it by accident one day while googling (as you do:)) & was amazed at the huge amount of information I found both on the site & in the discussion forum. This thread I think, has & will encourage new members to read the FAQ's & do a bit at a time & the rest of us "old" members to poke about in all the nooks & crevices hitherto unexplored :D....if of course everybody reads the "Tech Support" thread :laugh:

MM :D

aceofhearts
27-07-2008, 04:23
I admit im finding it very hard to keep track and if people have replied to my posts I cant find them again. I have had to forget the threads and reply to new posts instead.

starrystarrynight
27-07-2008, 04:26
I admit that I was very overwhelmed when I first discovered AT...so much so that I lurked for months before signing on, and then for months more after that before I subscribed.

But that's just me because so much reading for a dyslexic is overwhelming--no matter what--and because I'm such a slow reader at times, all these forums bowled me over sometimes. Still, I don't know how much differently one could run a forum with so much continually-growing information posted daily. I find the things I need, though I don't read a lot of the forums. I couldn't possibly.

I would urge anyone I sent here to be patient and give AT some time while advising them that there is no better place on the Net to learn and advance tarot or other forms of divination and spiritual discussion.

aceofhearts
27-07-2008, 05:05
Im going to give it some time starry I feel that it has alot of information and its a good place to learn and to to take part in something that I love that being tarot.

gregory
27-07-2008, 05:53
I admit im finding it very hard to keep track and if people have replied to my posts I cant find them again. I have had to forget the threads and reply to new posts instead.
You can go to your profile and find you own posts;or you can set your preferences to watch any thread you post in (actually I think that is the default setting.) Then just go for Quick links > Watched threads. All the threads you have posted in will be there and no others.

Just in case that helps.

tarotlyn
27-07-2008, 06:17
:) :heart: Hi! Everyone!

...what about this:

Because new members ARE shy...why don't we start a "NEWBIE'S LOUNGE" ?
Where the first "sticky" post would list an INDEX just for newbies
...such as the the "Intro to Aeclectic" page and the "New Members FAQ" page...
(and more of course).

They could "lounge around" in there and click on the "NEWBIE'S INDEX LIST"...
which would take them around AT...but they could always come back to "their"
LOUNGE to feel safe until they branched out... kind of like baby steps...

Some of you may not agree with me for bringing up this idea...but we all
have a right, myself included, to our own thoughts and can join in
and present our own ideas, whether anyone listens or not...

Having a "NEWBIE'S LOUNGE" is just an idea that very well could help new
members coming in... at least until they felt more secure with everything.

It would be really nice if "newbies feel special" when they come here...
...and they have "their own place" to go back to... until they feel ready
to branch out within the HUGE amount of threads and information presented
here by older members.

The words are: shy (perhaps) ... new (definately)...although some are not
new to the Tarot...they still may need a place they can run back to where
they don't feel they have to prove themselves right away.

As I said...just an idea...
:) :love: tarotlyn

afrosaxon
27-07-2008, 12:05
:) :heart: Hi! Everyone!

...what about this:

Because new members ARE shy...why don't we start a "NEWBIE'S LOUNGE" ?
Where the first "sticky" post would list an INDEX just for newbies
...such as the the "Intro to Aeclectic" page and the "New Members FAQ" page...
(and more of course).

They could "lounge around" in there and click on the "NEWBIE'S INDEX LIST"...
which would take them around AT...but they could always come back to "their"
LOUNGE to feel safe until they branched out... kind of like baby steps...

Some of you may not agree with me for bringing up this idea...but we all
have a right, myself included, to our own thoughts and can join in
and present our own ideas, whether anyone listens or not...

Having a "NEWBIE'S LOUNGE" is just an idea that very well could help new
members coming in... at least until they felt more secure with everything.

It would be really nice if "newbies feel special" when they come here...
...and they have "their own place" to go back to... until they feel ready
to branch out within the HUGE amount of threads and information presented
here by older members.

The words are: shy (perhaps) ... new (definately)...although some are not
new to the Tarot...they still may need a place they can run back to where
they don't feel they have to prove themselves right away.

As I said...just an idea...
:) :love: tarotlyn

Excellent idea, tarolyn. :thumbsup:

T.

faunabay
27-07-2008, 12:17
I completely agree!! Great idea tarotlyn!!! Excellent idea!!!

Aerin
28-07-2008, 00:10
Well, it is big for me too.... so I don't go everywhere. I like your ideas tarotlyn.

There's also a way of hiding forums that I have used..... maybe that would help. Like you start off with just a few visible, and then gradually add as you want.

I can't remember how to mind, there was a thread telling you how in Chat but maybe it should be more obvious.

Aerin

gregory
28-07-2008, 00:39
Well, it is big for me too.... so I don't go everywhere. I like your ideas tarotlyn.

There's also a way of hiding forums that I have used..... maybe that would help. Like you start off with just a few visible, and then gradually add as you want.

I can't remember how to mind, there was a thread telling you how in Chat but maybe it should be more obvious.

Aerin
It's here in tech support somewhere - but you have to be a subscriber, as I recall.... On the main forum page, you click on forum filter edit mode (at the bottom of the list of forums) - and when you are done, REMEMBER TO CLICK SAVE !!!!

aceofhearts
28-07-2008, 00:59
Thanks Gregory. I have been spending time scrolling back and forth through pages. I enjoy it here and know that soon I will have to spend time doing necessary things and it will upset me as I enjoy posting on here. I have realised its highly addictive.
I like tarotlysn idea for a newbies forum it is a nice way of welcoming people in but it may take lots of extra work to do so. Yet still a great idea if it was done.

tarotlyn
28-07-2008, 03:08
...actually I think it would be really easy to set up an extra subforum for a
"NEWBIE'S LOUNGE"... but someone has to ask for it I think...

...maybe if enough of us got together and requested it, it might happen?

But would like one of you to start the request or send the request...
(since I am always in trouble :D around here :laugh: )... You know, just a
little pm to Solandia and we all sign it...or? anyone have any other ideas how
to get it started?

Only if everyone likes the idea...it could be named whatever you guys want.

When I say easy...I mean...just a subforum...at the top right under the
"New Members" subforum... and my idea is that it would open with
a "sticky" MAIN page FIRST with an INDEX of things that would most pertain
to newbies...so they could always go back to it if they feel overwhelmed by
the bigger regular AT index...

...do I make sense this morning? :bugeyed:
:) :heart: tarotlyn
...p.s. thanks all you guys for liking the idea...:heart:

gregory
28-07-2008, 04:40
She moderates the tech forum and reads all the threads; she'll see this request. :D

Give her time and she will post a response, I'm sure.

Aerin
28-07-2008, 17:20
It's here in tech support somewhere - but you have to be a subscriber, as I recall.... On the main forum page, you click on forum filter edit mode (at the bottom of the list of forums) - and when you are done, REMEMBER TO CLICK SAVE !!!!

Thank you.

I think this might be a useful feature for newbies. It's a useful feature for me..... it stops me from spending ALL day here ;) and makes things look neater.

Aerin

Ambrosia
29-07-2008, 11:12
As you guys can see, I dont post very often at all, lol, but but ive been a member for about five years, and spend most of my time here just reading, or looking up certain things im interested in. Personally I love how much its grown, I love the wealth of information. The more the better for me. I would suggest newbies start with the forum first.

mysticmonkey
30-07-2008, 06:59
I personally don't think a sub-forum would be a good idea as they don't tend to get noticed as much.
I've been here a couple of years now and I still forget the sub-forums exist half the time.
We do have the new members lounge so maybe some helpful "newbie pointers" could be stickied in there as I'm sure it's one of the first places newbies go?

I think large forums do put people off if they are not looking for something specific. I've found the same problem with other forums I've recommended to people. Too many choices they don't know where to start and it all seems a bit jumbled at first until you settle in.

If I was sending someone here now I'd probably point them towards Using Tarot cards and Talking Tarot and let them explore the other sub-forums as they go.

I think the front page of the website is well laid out and you can see that Solandia has put a lot of effort into it but there is a lot of text and that sometimes can put people off but again in depends on how interested a person is. If they are just casually looking then maybe they don't feel like putting the effort in but if you have a starting point then you can go in search of that and look at everything else as and when you need it.

Also some people don't actually go straight to the forum. For me it's one of the first things I do on a site to see what is going on, see where people flow towards and get a feeling for where the most requested info is, but some people prefer to look at articles first and community last. Which is probably why they end up falling to the wayside.

gregory
30-07-2008, 07:22
The new members area is for introducing yourself, which doesn't help you find stuff.... Unless there is a lounge I haven't seen ?

mysticmonkey
30-07-2008, 10:09
The new members area is for introducing yourself, which doesn't help you find stuff.... Unless there is a lounge I haven't seen ?
Oops, shouldn't of added the word "lounge" in there. Sorry about that.
Having said that my main point still stands. I'm willing to bet that a large percentage of new members at least look in there first even if they don't post in there so that's the chance to have that introductory thread at the top of the forum to point them towards Talking tarot etc.. where the stickies are.

I don't think it would be open to "chat" as that is what the subscriber area is for.
A separate sub-forum just for stickies I personally think is unnecessary but of course that's up to Solandia to decide.

faunabay
30-07-2008, 10:59
I talked to my friend who I mostly started this thread about. I brought up to her the idea of starting a New Members Lounge area that would have FAQ's and such. She was actually really excited about it. As a new person coming in and obviously being overwhelmed she told me it sounded like an excellent idea! So there's a :thumbsup: from a total newbie!!

The crowned one
30-07-2008, 11:11
I talked to my friend who I mostly started this thread about. I brought up to her the idea of starting a New Members Lounge area that would have FAQ's and such. She was actually really excited about it. As a new person coming in and obviously being overwhelmed she told me it sounded like an excellent idea! So there's a :thumbsup: from a total newbie!!

We could call it "The Hatchery" and you would be kicked out after one months time, anyone who has been here longer then a month would not be able to post. It would have "road maps" as to how to get around the site efficiently and find what you are looking for...A comfortable warm place to bond.

After a month we kick them out here with the roosters and chickens! :D

I am not all all apposed to a "new members lounge" , and think it is very good idea but I still feel strongest that this is a dynamic community and joining Aeclectic Tarot is equivalent to moving to a new town...it takes time to get to know your way around and feel comfortable...exploring is fun!

gregory
30-07-2008, 18:28
Sob. I don't think you could do that month thing. I lurked for almost 18 months before I made a single post.....

Also sometimes someone will sign up having found the answer to one question here while googling, and then not come back for ages...

memries
30-07-2008, 21:25
Well, I am a cry from the wilderness here. Just tell them to push all the buttons and see what happens ! Not too sympathetic an answer but what else did you do ?

I do agree that a Newcomer's area would be beneficial and it was a good idea.

I do remember seeing references to Thirteen's information and I did that for a while and progressed from there.

The first day though was like a Christmas present, I chose many, many of the sites until I was crosseyed reading it all. Great fun !

faunabay
31-07-2008, 01:46
Like gregory, I don't think the month thing would work. For one - how would you enforce that? Would we have the new member police? }) ROFL And second, again like gregory said, there are alot of people that aren't on aeclectic as much as some of us. They might only come on once a month. (shrug) But I still love the idea of a new members lounge area!!

Solandia
01-08-2008, 15:48
Having a 'newbie index' in New Members with a guide to useful areas and threads sounds like a good idea - thanks tarotlyn.

To everyone - what would you have found most helpful when you first got here..? Links to Using Tarot Cards, Talking Tarot, and to Thirteen's Tarot Basics... anything else?

~ Solandia

thorhammer
01-08-2008, 16:31
A big sign that says, if I may quote the incomparable Douglas Adams:

DON'T PANIC

:D I'm mostly joking . . . I didn't have any trouble getting myself in here, and around and about. Feels like I've been here forever. Love it. Home. :D

\m/ Kat

gregory
01-08-2008, 17:49
Insatiable curiosity.....

Maybe (and this might be handy for oldies too) a sticky with links to useful stickies if you see what I mean. So that if you get a newbie wondering about trimming, ways to read, threads/subforums about specific decks etc, they wouldn't post a question that has already been asked heaps of times, and some of us having a tetchy day :| wouldn't then say there are threads, go look for them.... Like an index to an atlas, sort of ?

afrosaxon
02-08-2008, 02:49
Having a 'newbie index' in New Members with a guide to useful areas and threads sounds like a good idea - thanks tarotlyn.

To everyone - what would you have found most helpful when you first got here..? Links to Using Tarot Cards, Talking Tarot, and to Thirteen's Tarot Basics... anything else?

~ Solandia

Helpfulness of a forum--at first--may be dependent upon tarot experience. As is quoted often here on AT, "mileage may vary". :D Meaning, someone who has tarot experience but who is returning to the cards after a hiatus may not feel as intimidated as someone who has recently picked up a deck for the very first time, and may get more out of a certain section than others.

That being said: I first stopped by Talking Tarot and Using Tarot Cards., which was cool. I also liked the Tarot Games and Fun. As I got deeper into my cards, I would examine Thirteen's Reversals (some of which I did not agree with :D) and eventually the Card Index itself.

I've gotten the most out of the Forum searches on a certain subject, in the Using Tarot Cards section. Then again, I love to do research. :cool:

For a newbie, I would definitely post a link to Using Tarot Cards...specifically, the links on Thirteen's Reversals, the Card Index, and the thread on Reading The Cards (all of which are STICKIES at the top of the forum) Those are the big three, the contents of which will knock out 75% of the questions posted by newbies--provided newbies actually read them. :laugh:

Just my $.02.

T.

thorhammer
02-08-2008, 10:13
I've gotten the most out of the Forum searches on a certain subject, in the Using Tarot Cards section. Then again, I love to do research. :cool:Me too. It's astonishing what is here, when one takes the time to find it. There are so many incredibly wise and learned entities rattling around here, and I really wish that people were encouraged more to do a search.

The things you can find!!! . . .

\m/ Kat

HearthCricket
02-08-2008, 13:05
I've been a member for over 6 years now. I just stumbled on to this place...not even sure how, but through a search of some kind. It was a lot smaller, back then, yet I felt it was huge! I still have not accessed every section, nor feel I need to unless I suddenly become interested in a topic that might lead me there.

A newbie area would be nice if they feel they need some sort of comfort zone until they work their way around the forum. Others I think will just jump in or browse until they feel ready to post, which is what I did. But I am sure there are lots of cool things I have not yet discovered and time is just not allowing it, right now!! Eventually!!

tarotlyn
04-08-2008, 08:08
Back here now just noticing all the responses and suggestions:thumbsup:

:)You're welcome, Solandia...

~ SolandiaHere are a couple of areas I would add to it:

1. FQA
2. Introduction for Newbies
3. A LIST of all the AT abbreviations and what they mean (ROFLAO) :D
4. Technical page with "how to add smilies" to their posts (and their codes)
5. Chat
6. Games
7. Tarot Decks
8. Tarot Spreads
9. Study Groups
10. Thirteen's card meanings
11. Information about Subscribing

(maybe not in that order...and other areas added as well as you see fit.)
:):heart:tarotlyn

stefficus
04-08-2008, 08:57
what got me into the site itself were thirteen's meaning tutorial and the cards section. BUT what got me so deep into the forums was one simple thing:

the "new posts" button.

it's magic! it goes to all the parts of the forum you have access to, all at once, no wading through different sections unless you want to, and they're current threads so you have a better chance of actually getting into a conversation and... one single click, y'all. couldn't be simpler.

of course, from there you can go crazy, but it's such an easy way to get a diverse sampling of all the stuff that goes on here. i still use it all the time to keep a good overview of things unless i'm in a mood to get deep into a certain aspect of the site.

yep.

Satori
12-08-2008, 23:07
i remember being new. i was afraid to post....my keyboard is a bit soggy so not everything is working...apologies. so i got over that fear...obviously.

anyway, as a newbie and afraid to put up ideas on an international board...perhaps that can be addressed....sort of a pep talk about how all ideas are welcomed.

also, early on in my time here i read the list of do's and don'ts for the board, and the two big ones are;

-using the search feature so that you don't ask the same questions that have been covered ad nauseum,

-and the bit about flaming.

i think the area will end up being a place where the newbs are asking all kinds of questions, and while other more sophisticated newbs will answer which is good, they'll be forging friendships, it may duplicate the tech area and require moderating, which is more work for our already very busy mod team. but that may not be an issue. not sure.

afrosaxon
13-08-2008, 00:27
also, early on in my time here i read the list of do's and don'ts for the board, and the two big ones are;

-using the search feature so that you don't ask the same questions that have been covered ad nauseum,

Hallelujah!

(can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine? :D)

gregory
13-08-2008, 07:04
To be fair - as someone has pointed out somewhere - new threads on old topics can sometimes lead to new discussions about them.....

Dancing Bear
13-08-2008, 17:23
I agree Gregory, I have been a member of the forum for a while now.. and still dont know half the gadgets that can help me navigate this board..
and have been guilty of posting up a question already previously asked..

It was news to me to read about the new posts button LOL!!
i always get lost when i hit the search button, and never know quite how to put in two or three words what i am looking for..

I can imagine how daunting this forum could be to a newbie.. It still can be for me LOL!!
But Newbies become oldbies ( if thats a word)LOL! and fumble their way through, as I have , get told off everynow and then in the nicest possible way, for posting in the wrong bit..and posting the same questions

But I think the beauty of this forum , that enticed me, regardless of how big it was, is that is was all about Tarot and it had heaps of members, I knew at least one would have the answers i seek..and they were patient, friendly and understanding that i was a Newbie.. Thats what kept me here..

Its a treasure trove for newbies and oldbies alike..

Ange
14-08-2008, 00:14
I don't think it is too big....there is something for everyone here......just chose the areas that appeal and skip the others....:)

There are a few sites around that no-one visits from one week to the next....they are the ones which are unattractive, not the ones like this where there is always plenty going on.

Just my thoughts....:)

Ang x

Morwenna
14-08-2008, 10:00
I didn't find it too big. I'm a veteran of other (non-Tarot) message boards, some of which have grown so big I hate to go there anymore, so this is easy! I can't speak to the experience of Tarot-newbies because I haven't been one of those for many years, but I think many of the suggestions above about navigating the site are very good. I suspect the main problem is when a person comes here who is both a Tarot-newbie and a messageboard-newbie. That indeed can be daunting!

As for subscribing, I'm positively salivating over the threads that are closed to non-subscribers, but I haven't made up my mind to shell out actual money. And the money is in what currency?! I've never paid for a forum before; every one I've been on otherwise has had voluntary contributions, and no threads that were closed to non-payers.

AJ
14-08-2008, 13:10
I renewed my subscription yesterday, it came out to $28.50 US. That can change a little bit each day as Solandia received the money in AU funds and rates of exchange vary all the time.

That was for a year, you can test drive 6 months or 3 months for less, see if you feel you are getting your coins worth.

I value AT but if it gets any higher I will choose to pass next year. On the other hand if a gazillion dollars lands in my lap I'll just come around and see everyone in person.... :)

The things we have to spend money on have gone up so much the little things like AT subscription will no long be options. Bales of hay for our goats were $3.50 each last year. Right now it's $19.00 a bale. Multiply that increase by so many of the things we need and floof...my wallet is busted.

Erzebet
14-08-2008, 13:48
I was thinking of getting a subscription, but not quite sure! Are there smaller options than 6 months? 1 month? 2? When I just looked the smallest option was for 6 months. Thanks :)

Alta
14-08-2008, 21:16
I only see 6 months as an option but contact Solandia and ask.

Go to the Index page (front page) and look down at the very bottom, outside of the frame, on the lower right. There is a clickable link:

Email Admin