Missed Opportunity to Call a Card

balenciaga

Hi
I was wondering how others handle a situation: you are reading for someone in person, and all is well and they go home, but the reading sticks in your head...and then...it all clicks - but not until after they have left.
Do you just say to yourself, "que sera, sera" and go to bed or do you phone them and ask for permission to correct your interp?
I know that I hate to be wrong when I know I can correct the record beforehand:bugeyed::D

lilangel09

That's happened to me. I read live for the first time at school for a friend during lunch hours. I had only been with Tarot a month. She didn't give me much input, so I really wanted to reinterpret some possible interpretations of the cards. In the end, she made the decision she wanted to and was happy with it. Maybe some of the individual cards in the spread didn't matter. There were only 2 cards that mattered to her (in my opinion) in a 9 card spread. One she commented on, and one I saw that really fossilized her decision: King of Cups.

You just have to write it down and forget about it after you've read... like a doctor. You can come back to it if you want, but you're going to need that someone's input at the same time.

There's a tendency to want to get it right all the time (and before they've even acted on the reading), but sometimes you just have to let the person you read for do their stuff.

Grizabella

Not only that, your sitter heard what they were meant to hear. Sometimes people hear us say things we didn't really say, but that's what they were supposed to hear. May sound odd to you, but it happens.

Sometimes the person will hear you as having said something you didn't say, but when they acted on it, they had very good results in their life. Just let it go. Write it in your journal to learn from, but don't try to go back and "correct" it with the person you read for.

Formicida

I'd say let it go, although if you're reading for a friend you're very close to you might have an opportunity to bring it up again. I wouldn't push it, though.

This can happen in reverse, too. I got a reading once from another reader, and during the reading the cards and her interpretations didn't quite click for me. Then on the way home I suddenly realized what the whole reading had been about--a situation that I hadn't been thinking about at the time. I couldn't go back and tell her, so I had to let it go.

Let it go. You could be coming up with new interpretations of the same spread for months, if you let yourself, but it probably wouldn't be any more helpful than the original reading. As you say, que sera sera.

balenciaga

Wow, thanks all! Your advice is great.
And who's to say what the querent actually "hears" anyway? Very true. We can be saying one thing, and they are "hearing" another.

And it is true that a reading can go round in round in one's head forever if one lets it. There are some that are imprinted in memory that I still "play" with like a cat with its prey:)

All Is One

"Let it go" is excellent advice, for almost any situation...

M-Tarot-M

The consequences of clarifying might not be worth the effort. If they have questions let them come back on their own.

Cat*

The same thing happened to me recently. The morning after reading for a friend, I woke up with the strong feeling that I should have emphasized a part of the reading much more instead of just mentioning it.

I also wasn't sure if I should call her and add to what I had said before. I decided to ask the cards - and got the clear message that it didn't matter either way since she was going to do what she wanted to do all along anyway. So I, too, ended up with letting it go.

The experience reminded me that I can only ever say what's in the cards - the resulting decisions are the querent's alone. I read - they act (or don't).

le fey

This is such a great thread! This has happened to me a few times, usually while I'm standing in the kitchen chopping or washing dishes (and the mind goes free-roaming), I'll get the big 'ka-thunk' and realize some part of a reading really got left out.

Sometimes, if the person I've read for is one I speak with frequently, I'll mention it... sometimes not - and I thank those for the reminder that they got the part they needed, even if I think there is more - and sometimes my favorite thing happens....

They'll come back to *me* with the same realization I had, and are very excited and proud of themselves for having 'gotten it' for themselves.

So maybe sometimes, if a bit is left for self-discovery, that is exactly what they need.