Solar Eclipse August 1, 2008

Minderwiz

If we had a natal chart for the Olympics, then we might be able to speculate.

Two possible 'birth' dates and locations are:

8th August 2008, Beijing China - the official opening ceremony

13th July 2001 Moscow Russia - the date that the games were awarded to Beijing.

Timings of the 'birth' are more problematic. At what point during the day do we see the Olympics born, possibilities are sunrise, local noon (sun on the MC) or the Opening Ceremony, which has been set for 8:08 pm. Clearly the organisers believe that this is the birth time.

For the second date timings are again problematic. Do we take sunrise, noon, the time when Beijing won the second ballot or the time when the result was announced. Personally I think the time of the second ballot result is appropriate if that date is taken but can't find a reference to it.

These are not the only possible birth dates - there's the date the decision was taken to place a bid, the date that construction work began on the Olympic facilities, the time and date of the first event, etc.

There should be some Astrological effect so it's worth trying out some of these possibilities and then superimpose the eclipse positions to check for any result.

Edited to add:

If we take the start of the opening ceremony as the birth point, then Jupiter rules the Pisces Ascendant and is placed in the eleventh house of friendships. Jupiter also rules the Sagittarius MC. There is some indication that this should be a friendly games but Jupiter is not strong and is disposited by Saturn, which opposes the Ascendant and also rules the unfortunate 12 house. Saturn is also conjunct Venus, which rules the eighth house, also unfortunate as it relates to death.

Sun Mercury and Venus are in the unfortunate sixth house, with the Sun conjunct the unfortunate South Node.

The eclipse falls in the Sixth House, adding further emphasis. And seen from Beijing the Ascendant of the Eclipse chart is ruled by Saturn and conjoins Jupiter in the eleventh.

The prominence of Saturn, the planet of restriction suggests that these games will suffer from too much security and control. The unfortunate placing of the eclipse adds to this and the games may be in danger of self destruction (Saturn ruling the twelfth of self undoing) or at least making itself ill (Sixth House prominence).

Now this is only one possible birth time and date, so this reading should not be seen as definitive in any sense. However from a Western Astrological perspective the choice of start time for the opening ceremony is not good.

crazy raven

Wow! Thanks Minderwiz for all your time and hard work. This is all very interesting! From my understanding this eclipse will be seen in China. The 6th house looks very very busy!

The eclipse falls in the Sixth House, adding further emphasis. And seen from Beijing the Ascendant of the Eclipse chart is ruled by Saturn and conjoins Jupiter in the eleventh.

The prominence of Saturn, the planet of restriction suggests that these games will suffer from too much security and control. The unfortunate placing of the eclipse adds to this and the games may be in danger of self destruction (Saturn ruling the twelfth of self undoing) or at least making itself ill (Sixth House prominence).

Hmm, self destruction and the prominence of Saturn as well as conjoined Jupiter, could this indicate the danger of another earthquake?

I did find out that The People's Republic of China was formally established on October 1, 1949, 3:01:36 pm CCT, Beijing, China, if that helps at all.

Thank you again!!!!

Minderwiz

In the chart cast for the opening ceremony, Saturn rules the 12th which is associated with self undoing (hence the chance that too much security, or too much control may spoil the games. The twelfth is also the house of hidden so== or secret enemies, which I suppose could suggest some attempt to disrupt the games.

Saturn is quite weak, despite its angular placement and it peregrine (homeless). If such a disruption were planned it would be by a person or group acting alone and probably withot the power to see their action through.

I'd tend to go with the excessive or poorly directed control scenario which at best simply detracts from the games.

The Olympics are awarded to cities rather than countries, so it would be the date and time of the founding of Beijing which would be relevant. This seems to have been in 1045 BCE but no month, let alone date or time is given.

paradoxx

Militant and Male dominant Mars in virgo might spark some gender related issues at home, but Virgo is not squimish or sensetive to such mentality, discussions about olympic dietary needs and the lead up to the ceremony through Cancer makes us very desirable for something else to come our way, August events of harvest, fairs, and academics kicking into gear in the background, ever since the olympics were split into summer and winter back in the late 80's, it's been all about the summer.

Minderwiz

There was an item on the News yesterday. China is preparing for a possible attack on the games, and is taking appropriate security measures. In my chart, Saturn, Lord of the twelfth is opposing the Ascendant from the Seventh house of open enemies, so it seems that the Chinese authorities are right to take these threats seriously.

On a much less violent note, Saturn is also the ruler of coal. The air pollution in Beijing is largely influenced by the use of coal burning power stations, as well as pollution coming from vehicle exhausts. Whilst China, like the rest of the world, has largely adapted lead free petrol (gasoline), I would imagine that Saturn also rules the substitutes for lead added as well as lead itself. As ruler of the twelfth house of sickness and self undoing, here is anothr possible view of the potentials of the chart. The games could suffer literal ill health through the failure to control air pollution.

Elven

The BBC radio are reporting that there are already restrictions and blocks being experienced by journalists and reporters who are trying to cover the Games. This has been due to security restrictions in China - even though the host country must agree before they apply for nomination, that there will be freedom of press on the Games. The reporting by internet is posing the biggest problems, and there have been censoring which is not allowing some stories out. It has just been discovered that these things are in place,

So I do think that security and restriction will be prominent problems as you suggest as this eclipse goes through.

As I was reading your post, I saw the opening ceremony covered in smoke - like a smoke bomb. I wonder if there will be some form of scare or malfunction?

The other aspect, though not astrological, but what I see as relevant is the amount of '8's in the opening games date and time. Although '8' is considered a lucky and fortunate number - Im seeing Saturn playing with this lemniscate and karmic vibration - there are too many of them and it seems over balanced - though if thios goes right it will be brilliant, but if it goes wrong it could be very heavy!

Thanks for the interesting thread!!

Cheers
Elven x