won't read for pregnant women?

LittleGoblin

I was browsing ads on ebay, and I saw one that said she won't read for pregnant women.

That's interesting, does anybody know why that would be?

Just curious.
:)

Apollonia

It might be because it's a tricky situation when you see something that may be negative in a pregnant woman's cards. If you see an indication that something might be going on with the baby's health, it could possibly adversely affect the mother's state of mind, and it would be awful to bring in feelings of doubt or worry at a time that's supposed to be happy and optimistic. And what would she be able to do with the information, except worry for the next however many months, which isn't really helpful? Unless the reader is a real genius at medical readings, which isn't very common, the information received probably wouldn't be specific enough to do any good, anyway.

And what if she was asking for guidance as to whether or not to continue the pregnancy? That could be a painful or problematic subject to read on, depending on one's feelings/beliefs about that issue.

Alamaris

This is just a guess, but it may be to due with negative readings and their emotional results. If the reading turns up something frightening, such as impending relationship troubles or a Tower period of some sort, the expectant mother may panic violently enough (or worry excessively over a month or two) to cause a miscarriage. I have heard of women with weaker constitutions losing the baby due to excessive anxiety or mental anguish.

Just my two cents. It may be for an entirely different reason.

M-Tarot-M

Sounds like superstition and archaic beliefs more than a practical decision to avert ill-feelings in either the mother or child.

Sinduction

How weird. I've been dying to read for a pregnant woman just to see if I could pick up on the little one. :D

Demon Goddess

Oooh! I know, I know!!

Up until about 3 months ago, I refused to read for pregnant women... Not because I was concerned about seeing something negative in the pregnancy, but rather, because you are reading for two people at the same time.

I had no idea as to how I could do that without the two spirits intermingling and becoming one.

Then I figured it out when a pregnant woman asked me to read for her at a conference...

I did a relationship reading for her and the baby... That worked out really well, although, she was disappointed to learn that he wouldn't be a mama's boy. :)

I wouldn't know how else to go about separating the two spirits.

Apollonia

M-Tarot-M said:
Sounds like superstition and archaic beliefs more than a practical decision to avert ill-feelings in either the mother or child.

I'm curious as to why you feel this way, just from the statement that she won't read for pregnant women. I know of many readers who won't do medical readings, financial readings, etc., and I imagine they have logical reasons. Why would this be any different?

I would also caution those who want to read for expectant moms to be careful what they wish for. You may find out something in the cards that turns out to be very difficult for you to phrase so that it doesn't come out alarming. Don't forget that hormones may be in play, she might be worried already, and even a momentary unconscious frown as you look at a card can have a negative effect on someone who is feeling fragile and only wants to hear good things.

One day several years ago, I was alone and wanted to do some practice readings, and I decided to "check in" on my pregnant friend, who was overjoyed to be expecting her first, very much longed-for, child. (She was healthy in every way, and all her checkups had been perfect, so why not?) I saw a miscarriage. She had one. I thank Spirit that I did not offer to do this in her presence. What good would have come from telling her?

If you do enough readings for pregnant women, you will end up having to tell someone something that terrifies her and/or breaks her heart, and for what? Either that, or lie, which I won't do.

Now I will do readings on the sex of the baby, but not much else.

Allure

Demon Goddess said:
I had no idea as to how I could do that without the two spirits intermingling and becoming one.

I never thought of that. I read for my niece when she was pregnant. Though I did get cards indicating a healthy, happy baby, in hindsight I should have been more cautious about the reading. She didn't ask about the baby but as a first time expectant mother, the baby had to factor in.

SarahRose

Demon Goddess said:
Not because I was concerned about seeing something negative in the pregnancy, but rather, because you are reading for two people at the same time.

That's the first thing I thought of too, and you handled it well!

M-Tarot-M

Apollonia said:
I'm curious as to why you feel this way, just from the statement that she won't read for pregnant women...
Given the fora, I became aware of the feeling and described it. It struck me that way is all.

I do not consider reading for a pregnant woman as reading for two souls. The two (or more) are there to read at some stage of development. For a while the mother provides varying degrees of life support yet they are separate. Focus on one or the other(s).