PDA

View Full Version : Inner Ear Infection.. anything natural ?

memries
29-07-2008, 05:38
Guess my ear is in a mess. I finished one round of antibiotics and now will be getting another plus drops. However, I am thinking there must be something natural out there to take as well since I am great believer in natural herbs.

Thanks ahead of time if you have any ideas. Or, even, Hey ... A Crystal ?

memries
29-07-2008, 05:40
Guess my ear is in a mess. I finished one round of antibiotics and now will be getting another plus drops. However, I am thinking there must be something natural out there to take as well since I am great believer in natural herbs.

Thanks ahead of time if you have any ideas. Or, even, Hey ... A Crystal ?

The good part is I am not in pain just annoyed at being inconvenienced and I cannot hear out of that ear very much. The sound is distorted.

Louise Hay says ears mean there is something you don't want to hear and that is true.. lots around here I don't care if I hear or not but not any drastic sounds thank goodness.

aceofhearts
29-07-2008, 06:30
not too sure I have a blocked ear with flu. I did find this on googling
Earache- Amber, Amazonite. I will be taking the vit c and garlic.

Sophie
29-07-2008, 07:00
Memries - here is a whole page of Ayurvedic home remedies for ear infections, including herbs, foods and recipes.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Ayurvedic-Home-Remedies-for-Ear-Infections-and-Aches&id=466424

For crystals, I'd suggest celestite - place directly on the ear. It will help you hear clearly physically and in other ways, while softening the effect of what is painful or irritating to you (also in all ways).

celticnoodle
29-07-2008, 09:09
memries, i recall mom telling us to put a few drops, (two or 3) of white vinegar, (a cure all & handy dandy house cleaner too! ) into each ear with the infection. then swallow to make sure the white vinegar gets in deep into the canal. then lay down or tilt your head for any excess to drain out of the ear before doing this the 2nd ear. suppose to help any infection clear up as well as any pain or itch associated with the infection.

however, before doing anything like this, you should really consult a physician,as it may or may not cause other problems, I don't know.

I do know that when I use to take care of seniors in VT, there was this one elderly couple who lived with a friend that helped to take care of them. this friend was their age or older, but looked a good 20 years younger, and was most definately more spry and in great health! she told me it was because every day of her life, she drank 1tsp. of white vinegar in an 8oz. glass of water. it cured all and she was never ill! i tried it once--awful taste! ick. but, i've heard of white vinegar being a cure all, so if you can stand the initial taste of it--it just may help keep you healthy and strong too!

memries
29-07-2008, 09:57
Hello Celticnoodle.. I cannot use the vinegar in my ear at the moment because I have medical drops, etc. but I sure can take some vinegar and drink it. I always liked vinegar. A good idea and I will try it.

OOnaOwl
29-07-2008, 10:12
if you can manage to avoid eating things that aggravate the inflammation it can speed up the healing process. Inflammatory foods to stay away from include: sugar, dairy, meat, wheat, soy, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peanuts, alcohol, processed foods. these are all foods that increase an acidic enviroment in the body, making it more prone to dis-ease. like many other illnesses, rest and plenty of liquids is very beneficial. the vinegar drink is excellent for restoring an alkaline balance in the body. Just one tablespoon in a glass of water first thing in the a.m. and before every meal if you can stand it. it can be hard on tooth enamel so make sure to rinse your mouth with fresh water afterwards.
ear infections are often linked to food sensitivities if they are recurring. hope you feel better soon!

memries
29-07-2008, 10:55
Thanks Oonaowl.. I wondered if the vinegar was alkaline. I will do that and try to avoid all the foods you have listed. Most of them anyway as much as I can.

I am not in pain it is just a darn nuisance so that part is good. Also I don't want to lose any more hearing in that ear.

OOnaOwl
29-07-2008, 11:12
also the warming sock treatment is really great for drawing the energy downwards and out of the body.this is a very traditional hydrotherapy treatment for upper body ailments including ears. it is practically free, too! this should be done just before bedtime. you can do it every night until you feel relief.you will need: one pair of cotton socks, one pair of woolen socks, a pan or tub for warm water to cover your feet, & a fridge or freezer. Take the cotton socks and get them wet and wring out until the are still wet but not dripping. put them in the fridge or freezer to cool. then fill your pan or tub with enough tolerably hot water to cover your feet for 15 minutes. soak your feet for 15 minutes. then you get the cold cotton socks and woolen socks and don the cotton socks with the wool ones on top. it sounds awful but really isn't, i swear.then go straight to bed. overnight your feet will dry the cotton socks as the hot energy is drawn down there. this really works, i have used it myself for years! i worked at a health food store with a naturopath for a long time and they always told people to do this.

zannamarie
29-07-2008, 12:48
Louise Hay says ears mean there is something you don't want to hear and that is true.. lots around here I don't care if I hear or not but not any drastic sounds thank goodness. I was going to ask the question if there was something you didn't want to hear that you were trying to block out, but it appears that thought crossed your mind.

If there's lots you don't want to hear, maybe that's why it's not clearing up?

I seem to recall inner ear infections affects one's balance. Are you feeling unbalanced? Maybe a home situation is changing (or not when you wanted it to change)?

Just some ideas. Hope you feel better soon. :love:

ravenest
29-07-2008, 15:29
Owww, hope you get better soon M. I know what it's like ( I had bilateral inner ear infections once when I was flooded in - so no doctor or medicine).

I cant offer any help now, but when it gets better there is something you can do.

I got repeated ear infections from river swimming, it got to the point that I couldn't put my head underwater (and for me, that's not good!). Finally a good doctor explained to me that after each ear infection or trauma, minute scar tissue forms, scar tissue doesn't exude wax, ears dry out and crack, infection gets in crack, more scar tissue forms ... etc, in a downwards spiral.

So I thought; OK, treat the scar tissue. I used some fresh aloe vera. It was like heaven, from the moment it went in, my whole body resonated with relief.
I use it quiet regularly and have no trouble swimming and diving now at all.
Also I use olive oil, or sesame, before swimming or when it feels dried out.

[I'm not suggesting you do this now as if the infection is still active and you are on meds ... ? ]

Sophie
29-07-2008, 18:48
Memries, you posted two threads on the same subject. Several of us have replied in the other - I suggest you read that one too.

aceofhearts
29-07-2008, 20:32
I didnt have ear problems before but can relate to the frustration. Mine is rather self inflicted. I was told by my doctor a few years back I couldnt fly because of the ear infection and likelyhood of it messing up. Ouch. I decided I am going no matter what. I did so and I heard a loud bang on the plane. I scared myself sat there for the rest of the flight feeling dizzy. I saw a medic there and spent the rest of the hols in pain.
Each time I get flu or a cold my ear plays up and gets blocked. I now get hayfever and before that bout of flu no hayfever or ear problems! I get so I dread the summer and yet everything looks better in the the light of the sun.
Im using otex at the moment.

memries
30-07-2008, 01:06
I' m glad you drew it to my attention Fudugazi. I knew something had posted twice and looked all over for it, never dreaming that a Thread would post twice. Thank you.

memries
30-07-2008, 01:15
Thanks for all your answers. I will read all the interesting sites posted and get back to you.

Interesting Ravenest as I had an operation to correct a hole in my ear caused by flying to Australia ! It was painful when there was a barometer change or temperature change. Hope never again, it was like getting my ear raped to get it fixed.

No pain now but off balance for sure on occasion. When I am better I will do the Aloe Vera thing, that sounds good. There must be scar tissue there.
I have been struggling with it for over a month.. I mean Doctors, etc.

It is no picnic and 4 drops of stuff in your ear pretty well fills it up ! LOL
I had much more pain with the ear operation than I ever did with other major surgeries.

morticia monroe
30-07-2008, 02:13
Just saw this and I hope you're beginning to feel better.

I'm pretty much a stranger to ear infection, so I can't offer advice, but when we were little and had earaches, I do remember my Mama giving us a heating pad to put on our ear and it always seemed to soothe.

We's hold it close, lying with the ear down, so it could drain.

But of course I don't recommend trying anything without first asking your doctor.

I hope you feel better soon.

memries
30-07-2008, 04:37
Zannamarie.. Yes, there was something that will stay with me forever. I just thought of it when you mentioned it. My Daughter-in-Law's Father died 12 days ago. Yolanda answered the phone and her sister told her. Yolanda screamed NOOOOOOO ! NOOOOOOO ! HE DIED ! It was the most heart rending cry you ever heard. It will stay with us all, myself, the children and my son Chris forever. I was way off upstairs !

I have never been in a war zone and so am pretty soft really. Since that time my ear got very much worse so, yes, I do believe that adage.

ravenest
30-07-2008, 14:41
Interesting Ravenest as I had an operation to correct a hole in my ear caused by flying to Australia !

Oh no! And then when you landed (with a v.sore ear) you had to listen to our accents!

memries
30-07-2008, 20:51
That part was pretty funny Ravenest. We were staying in the Santa Maria suite in a hotel and the house physician came to see meee ! He was so handsome I had more on my mind than my ear !
I laughed so hard to myself of course. One good way to get a man in your suite when your husband was not there. However, it was very circumspect and he gave me antibiotics.
I think Australian men are the best !

Ambrosia
31-07-2008, 23:18
When my daughter was young, she used to have chronic ear infections. if you can find garlic essential oil you can add a few drops of this to some almond or similar oil (failing this you can crush 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and steep in warm oil overnight, making sure to strain completly before use), then add 2 drops of lavender oil and massage the area surrounding the ear on the outside, (including neck and jaw areas) This has strong analgesic and antibiotic properties. I have also read you can use a couple of drops as you would ear drops and this should localise the effect more and soften any excess wax which could possibly be causing it, though I wouldnt recommend this unless mixture is sure to be strained properly, leaving no specks of garlic, and is made with clean equipment to ensure bacteria isnt introduced into the ear cavity.

Used to work pretty well on my daughter, good luck.

Ambrosia
31-07-2008, 23:24
I have also had one bad episode of earache in my teens which was caused by a buildup of wax (apparently I have very narrow ear canals LOL) and I went to the doctor and got the nurse to syringe my ears (dont worry, no needles involved, they basically flush your inner ear out with warm water) and it feels sooo good! You can hear everything heaps clearer aswell LOL.

memries
01-08-2008, 01:44
Thanks for all the good, useful advice. I am going with the antibiotics right now but when my ear is better I will start to do the preventitive thing and the recipe sounds good about the garlic, oil and lavender. Ravenest has a similar thing to suggest as well.

Ambrosia, yes went that route about buildup of wax. The infection is deeper and now outer as well. My hearing is not back so know it is not over yet.
No pain much really but for sure I am touchy, irritable and not too much patience. I try to be me but it is uphill.

aceofhearts
01-08-2008, 09:07
I decided to try drinking a glass of warm water and a t-spoon of white vinegar. I heard it was good for this and for detox. I cant say I advise it, tastes awful and stinks the house out.
I hope you find something that works for you but the vinger way i was chewing gum at a rapid rate!

Ambrosia
01-08-2008, 09:24
Thanks for all the good, useful advice. I am going with the antibiotics right now but when my ear is better I will start to do the preventitive thing and the recipe sounds good about the garlic, oil and lavender. Ravenest has a similar thing to suggest as well.

Ambrosia, yes went that route about buildup of wax. The infection is deeper and now outer as well. My hearing is not back so know it is not over yet.
No pain much really but for sure I am touchy, irritable and not too much patience. I try to be me but it is uphill.

Hope you feel better soon. :)

memries
01-08-2008, 15:41
Thank you Ambrosia.

silverwings94
01-08-2008, 20:34
Memries,
I hope that you feel better real soon. My granddaughter came down suddenly last Tuesday with an inner ear infection. She had spiked a fever of 101.6 at 2 pm. Scared the heck out of me. I forward the information from the earlier posts to my daughter so now she has it.
Sending you Reiki for your pain and to relieve the pressure.
S

memries
01-08-2008, 23:38
Thank you Silverwings for sending me Reiki. This morning I am not so great but it is all the very strong antibiotics so not sure I can take them today.
It is so darned annoying to be under the weather a bit.

franniee
02-08-2008, 00:27
I am sorry you are sick Memries! I hope you get well soon.

As for the vinegar....use apple cider vinegar and warm water.... drink it every day - supposed to be phenomenal health remedy.

I have a sinus infection and my ear has water in it so I can empathize. The antibiotics didn't work for me either.... they also gave me nasonex - which is sortof working. But an ear infection is TOUGH!

get well soon my friend.
:heart:

memries
02-08-2008, 01:27
Hi Franniee. The hard part is I am half way between being sick and well. Not in pain just somehow annoying discomfort and my head feels like it is hollow or something... which it probably is.. lol ! I can hear better today though as yesterday I could not hear in that ear. Sound was far away and distorted.

I am going to buy the apple cider vinegar when I go out and do that. As well my friend called and told me to take Oregano pills or whatever but right now I am happy to be eating some cherries. So not adding another anything to the mix. Except the vinegar it might help my stomach as well.

Sorry about your Sinus problem, that can be painful and feel miserable. You have a good dose if it is in your ear as well. I hope you feel better too.

franniee
02-08-2008, 01:32
braggs organic apple cider vinegar. :)

cherries are an anti inflamatory so are blueberries, strawberries and pineapple. I have been chomping on them as well including watermelon....

Garlic is also awesome for healing and keeping you healthy! :heart:

memries
02-08-2008, 01:37
Ok I will look for that brand of apple cider vinegar. Go the the health food store.
Cherries are sooo good here.. Niagara area and the peaches are coming out now and nowhere are they as good as those grown along the Niagara Peninsula at least I have never seen or tasted any.

Trying to get moving so going off. Have a good day if you can.

morticia monroe
02-08-2008, 02:38
Glad to hear you're on the mend, Memries.

My ex-husband's mother was really into cider vinegar and also garlic for staying healthy. She's 90 and going strong. I started taking garlic tabs every day for good heart health.

memries
04-08-2008, 00:09
Good idea Morticia, am starting to add that to my regime. I take very few pills really but lots of supplements.

mysticmanth
22-08-2008, 06:43
Hope your ear is better now, i know how you feel, when i get ear infections i get them major....both ears and they last between a month and 6 weeks as my ear drums burst...have done everytime so far so i know exactly how you must have felt.
I am currently suffering an ear infection, it started today and the pain is terrible but i hope you feel better. Im glad i came across this thread i will definately use most of those tips when my ear is better to try and prevent another infection as it is not nice at all.
Love and light x x x x

memries
22-08-2008, 16:07
Sorry to hear that Mysticmanth. I am not better yet but it seems to be going bit by bit.
It makes you wonder how or why it happens. Did you go to the Doctor ?
I am going to do some of the things offered as well on this thread.
I think getting our immune system up helps as well. As well the vinegar idea to neutralize the acid in our system is good.

birdsong123
22-08-2008, 17:27
Hi folks!

Sorry to jump in here....I think you all are talking about "middle ear infections." Or outer plus middle infections (because the drops only target the outer ear unless the eardrum has a hole in it).

I'm an audiologist and the reason I bring this up is because the treatment for outer, middle, and inner ear infections are very different.

Outer ear infections happen in the ear canal to the eardrum. They can include fungal or bacterial infections, swimmer's ear, that sort of thing.

Middle ear infections are *beyond* the eardrum. They are typically started with a feeling of intense pressure in the ear, then if it progresses, the middle ear space fills up with fluid; this can give the sensation of (temporary) loss of hearing in that ear.

Inner ear infections are way deep in, past the middle ear space, in the cochlea. There is no pain here, but what typically brings the person to the doctor is dizziness.

I bring this up because if you use a stone or medication or holistic remedy for inner ear infections, it may want to target dizziness and equalization of inner ear fluid and reduce sodium levels, but not target the fluid in the middle ear cavity, which is relieved when the eustachian tube opens and lets the fluid out and relieves middle ear pressure again.

Sorry to be so technical, but in the end it may help you find relief or remedies designed for that part of the body.
:)

Warm blessings,
Birdsong

memries
22-08-2008, 17:46
Your post is most helpful Birdsong. The technical part is really good to know.
You make it sound so reasonable. Going to the Doctor does not bring you any knowledge on a subject. I was very dizzy so would assume it was the cochlea. That has gone off now so I am getting better. The outer ear has no infection left but I still have fluid in my inner ear I guess which has not gone away yet (pressure) and my hearing is definitely not right but much better than it was.

Thanks very much.

birdsong123
22-08-2008, 18:06
You are right, Memries....if the middle ear infection is severe enough it can put pressure on the membrane between it and the cochlea and dizziness happens. Sounds like you had it pretty bad. As medical professionals, we can see if there is fluid behind the eardrum when we look with an otoscope, and we have machines that can tell how flexible the eardrum is (if it is not flexible, that is telling of a wall of fluid behind it).

And you are right...the doctors don't really take the time to explain it. That's almost universal in our hurried world, unfortunately.

Also try this to speed it up....it's called the Valsalva maneuver.

Pinch your nostrils closed with your fingers so no air gets out. Then close your mouth and blow out hard, filling up your cheeks with air and you should hopefully feel pressure in your ears as you do it. See if you can do that about 10 times during the day, here and there. It takes literally one second.

What it does is exert pressure on the eustacian tube, sending out any blockages when they are ready. That way you'll get the fluid out more quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

Quick healing to you, my friend. Ear infections are no fun.

mysticmanth
23-08-2008, 00:38
Im in so much pain and can hardly hear out of my ears...the pressure is so bad it feels like my whole face is going to explode...i cant even eat :(
Cant sleep either so im shattered
Rubbish day....glad to hear you ear is slowly getting better :D x x x

memries
24-08-2008, 12:59
How are things now Mysticmanth ?