How do I start doing readings for other people?

Richard Pickman

I have been studying tarot for about eight months. I feel that I am getting a fairly good idea of what most of the cards are about (with a few exceptions).

I have done a number of readings for myself, using three cards, five cards, and a couple times the Celtic Cross. I have not yet done a reading for anyone other than myself, but I think that I am ready to try.

I keep a tarot journal which I was using a lot at first, but less so more recently. I think I may have to start doing some readings to "take it to the next level". I don't want to just keep doing readings for myself.

Here's the thing... how do I find people to read for? I'm a 55 year guy; I'm hesitant to ask people that I know, fearing they might think I've gone off the deep end. I did mention it to one of my friends, but he seemed very hesitant about the topic of tarot in general.

I have a 20 year old son; like me, he is an artist/musician-- I told him I was getting into tarot, and he was cool with it. I gave him a Rider-Waite deck, which he has been looking at. He has said that he would let me do a reading for him, but like most kids, he is always busy (he lives about 15 minutes away).

I have another friend I mentioned it to; he has actually used the cards in the past, but kind of got out of it. Still, he was pretty excited that I was interested in tarot. Unfortunately, he lives kind of far away; I rarely see him.

What about sitting at a coffee shop and studying my cards, to see if anyone would approach me? Good or bad idea?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks--

Richard

214red

Hi, here is a good place to find people to practise on, and the good thing about reading for people online is that you can take your time .

i had my first expercience reading for people that were not readers themselves by sitting in a tarot circle in a pub and people got curious and came and asked for readings.

good luck, and if you ever want to read for me your welcome
Nikki

starrystarrynight

What about sitting at a coffee shop and studying my cards, to see if anyone would approach me? Good or bad idea?
Count on it! :D I think it's a great idea.

Once you have enough posts here, there is a forum topic below called "Your Readings", where you can exchange readings or post your own for feedback. This is a great place to get all the practice you can take, and although it is different from face-to-face readings, it can help a lot.

Good luck, and welcome to AT. You will find anything you need to know about tarot here. I guarantee it.

214red

thanks starry for filling in the relevant details on the forum, the Your readings forum and the exchange is both useful.

the only piece of advice i would say is, start with only a small spread, only up to 3 cards...often your first live readings you can get a bit flustered, but remember your doing it for free so you allowed the odd hiccup

afrosaxon

Welcome to AT!

I agree with what was said by others. The REading Exchange section here on AT is the place for you to practice.

One caveat I do have about sitting in a coffee shop and seeing if others will approach you: make sure that 1) you are in an area that is fairly tolerant of tarot and other divination practices; and 2) make sure that the owner of the coffee shop is cool with it. You don't want to get run off by someone who swears that you are practicing demonic things :rolleyes:

Good luck!

T.

Sinduction

You can go anywhere! I read at parks, coffee shops, bars. I also read online. I started on a site to help smokers quit but then when I would long onto the chat I would just get slammed for readings. Which was unhelpful as I was needing help to not light up! So, eventually you will need to establish your boundaries of how many you will do in the time that you have.

I currently read in a night club which is weird because I think there is a law that you can't mix liquor with betting so playing cards are not allowed. But they allow me to read tarot. I have to turn people down sometimes if I want to have any fun but I average about two readings a night. Then I can tell people I will read for them next week or whatever. This also helps the club as the people will then return to see me, and also spend some money in the club. In return, I give the manager free readings when she asks. I also read at events for a charity.

Sometimes if I go to a new establishment, I will ask if they mind but usually I don't. I just do what you said, I start studying my cards and writing in my notebook and people approach me and ask for a reading. Sometimes I charge and sometimes I don't but if you are new you probably aren't even thinking about that yet.

Even having them out next to you will draw people in. Also, make sure you look presentable and remember to smile and appear approachable. Look around the room and make eye contact with people and smile. It's also a good idea to befriend the staff and eventually offer them readings, this can lead to them wanting to have you in for certain events where you can make some money. Try not to be too focused on reading or writing or people will feel it's impolite to approach you. If you go to the same place regularly word will spread and you will have more sitters.

It works best for me if I let people come to me. That way I don't offend anyone. For instance, you don't know for sure that the person pouring coffee is ok with tarot. You've already experienced this with your friend. If you befriend them and they've seen you with your deck, wait for them to ask about it and then offer.

The reading exchange here is also a great place to start if you are nervous about in person readings.

Once you get over the hurdle it really is second nature and you will always be sure to have a deck with you no matter where you go.

Good luck!! btw I did not intend to ramble on so. :D

214red

afrosaxon said:
One caveat I do have about sitting in a coffee shop and seeing if others will approach you: make sure that 1) you are in an area that is fairly tolerant of tarot and other divination practices; and 2) make sure that the owner of the coffee shop is cool with it. You don't want to get run off by someone who swears that you are practicing demonic things :rolleyes:
Good advice, i was just in my local deli cafe and the owner asked if i was practising witchcraft, then asked for a reading!

gudrunn

Thank's for the thread...

That's an excellent thread you posted! I've had the same dificulty with starting to read for other people. To tell you the truth i have been studying the tarot for quite some time and i do practice readings for myself and hypothetical cases just to see if i can do a full reading without stumbling on the meaning on some cards, it happens you know? But the advice that everyone gave you, i'm gonna borrow it so i hope you don't mind.

Gudrunn

Umbrae

Richard Pickman said:
I'm a 55 year guy; I'm hesitant to ask people that I know, fearing they might think I've gone off the deep end. I did mention it to one of my friends, but he seemed very hesitant about the topic of tarot in general.
So yer’ a year older than me…and you know we both went off the deep end yar’ons ago…

Here’s another angle.

Learn the history. Head out to the Library and check out “A Wicked Pack of Cards – The Origins of the Occult Tarot” by Decker & Dummett (most likely you’ll have to use the ILL). Then rather than jumping into “Wanna reading?” you can talk about history first, open a whole topic of conversation about it and sooner or later they’ll ask, “…

Baroli

Richard Pickman said:
I'm a 55 year guy; I'm hesitant to ask people that I know, fearing they might think I've gone off the deep end. I did mention it to one of my friends, but he seemed very hesitant about the topic of tarot in general.

Umbrae said:
So yer’ a year older than me…and you know we both went off the deep end yar’ons ago…

And I'm a year older than you Umbrae and we're both the same age.:bugeyed: go figure that one out and been over the deep end on the east coast. (Must be the water.)

Anyway, Richard you can also do what I did and sit at a table and shuffle your deck and people will eventually sit down. However, I was 18 back then and very cute and adorable....... it might not work. (Well, maybe just adorable:rolleyes:) I think Umbrae's suggestion is probably the better. :D