PDA

View Full Version : Safe to carry copper

sleepingcat
03-08-2008, 15:24
The internet sadly failed me, and none of my books that mention health risks along with healing benefit managed to have copper listed.

I've had an urge to carry around one of my copper nuggets, but I couldn't remember if it's safe to carry around pure copper. All i remember is my parents would freak out for handling copper and make me wash my hands when I was little.

Any ideas?

Radhemily
03-08-2008, 15:35
Well, seeing as they make copper jewelry, I wold think that it's safe. It may turn your skin green if you wear it for a long time. Anyone else know anything about this?

Emily

faunabay
04-08-2008, 03:28
I've never heard of copper being bad to carry. I have a copper ankle bracelet I wear all the time. (shrug)

sleepingcat
04-08-2008, 04:34
And water is carried in copper pipes.

I think my parents were just nuts, maybe because copper tastes unpleasant to some.

ravenest
04-08-2008, 15:11
In some cases it is actually beneficial. There used to be many copper 'arthritis' wristbands, bracelets, etc, jewelry around ( but gold colloid is better).
It cant be TOOO bad for you ... we have been wearing it for since before the bronze age ;)

Debra
04-08-2008, 15:16
Ask Mi-Shell. She's a metal artisan.

karen0205
05-08-2008, 00:40
All i remember is my parents would freak out for handling copper and make me wash my hands when I was little.

sleepingcat, pennies are made out of copper so I don't think copper has any health issues,
are you talking about mercury?

sleepingcat
05-08-2008, 02:04
sleepingcat, pennies are made out of copper so I don't think copper has any health issues,
are you talking about mercury?

Nope, Copper. Pennies, copper piping, copper wire, copper knicknacks. My parents were just weird about touching them, I guess. Pewter too.

But it looks like I can happily handle my nuggets without fear. :D

Enchanted Luna
05-08-2008, 02:31
Copper is fine to carry with many health benefits, however be careful making a gem elixir from it as it can be toxic.

My parents made me wash my hands after handling pennies (and money in general), not because of the copper, but because "where has THIS been??!" LOL

I love copper :)

Blessings and light,

Lady Lasairfhiona

blackairplane
05-08-2008, 12:27
Pennies actually have very little copper in them nowadays. But I think you are perfectly safe carrying it around unless you run into one of those guys who is scavenging for scrap metal, copper goes pretty high as a commodity right now: laugh:

Bluecat
05-08-2008, 18:10
Maybe this is too much info but the IUD (contraceptive coil) is made of copper - if it's ok internally I guess externally can't hurt at all :)

lunalafey
06-08-2008, 10:24
Maybe this is too much info but the IUD (contraceptive coil) is made of copper - if it's ok internally I guess externally can't hurt at all :)

I was going to mention this same thing! If it can be safe in a place like that, then what harm could it cause someplace else???

Copper is great! there are many things that copper is good for.
Too much algae in your pond? throw in some real copper pennies (pre 1980).
Copper works on skin fungus, they are even making brushes for hair that have copper nubs on the ends to help fight dandruff.
Yes it does turn your skin green, but no harm is done, that is just the salts in your body from sweating oxidizing the copper, then rubbing into your skin.

Milfoil
06-08-2008, 20:28
We work with copper every day (we have a plumbing firm) and no harmful side effects. However, copper sulphate is used as a pesticide and should be viewed as harmful.

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/copper-sulfate-ext.html

Apparently boiling some (acid) foods in copper pans can cause health problems if done regularly/daily.

The only problem with handling copper ore is that arsenic can often be found bonded to the copper sulphide. If in doubt - wrap it in something first and carry it on you in a small pouch. Either that or get an item of copper jewelry like a bracelet.

Oni
07-08-2008, 04:59
i have alot of copper jewelry and it has never caused me any problems, although i need to polish it, the polish is hard to find. but honestly i have heard that iron was not safe to carry so i do not know alot of remurs excist about metals

einhverfr
14-09-2008, 08:40
Just some basic safety notes about metals in general:

Most metals are safe to carry. A few metals are more safe than others. A few are less.

In general, avoid exposing most metals to acidic substances and then taking that internally. Most metals will react with acids to produce metalic salts. These are then particularly absorbably by the body.

The more toxic metals should not be soaked in water and then the water taken internally. I don't think this affects copper so much, but lead alloys, etc. including pewter should be minimized in this regard, esp. where alloys and acids are involved. Letting wine sit for an extended period in a crystal decanter is bad. Letting wine sit for an extended time in pewter is worse. Drinking out of either lead crystal or pewter is probably safe if the liquid is not allowed to sit for a long time.

Some metals can be absorbed through the skin: Lead is particularly bad this way. Playing musical instruments made of lead crystal with wet hands is bad (remember the glass harmonica players....). The big issue has to do with the heavy metals and cumulative doses though. So this does not affect copper (though it might affect amalgams containing mercury).

In general, I would consider iron to be unusually safe and lead to be unusually hazardous. Metals like copper are somewhere in between. As long as you aren't being stupid, you shoudl be OK.