Which decks have the WORST artwork?

Le Fanu

I think it´s only fair that we look at the other side of the coin.

One thing which I have become increasingly aware of - and have to confess that this is only a relatively recent discovery - is that a deck doesn´t have to have great art to read well (I mean, I love the Rohrig). Glad that we have got that point out of the way. If we talk about decks with bad art, it means just that. It doesn´t in any way imply that this is incompatible with "great " reading deck.

And, of course, it is all entirely subjective.

But gosh... there´s some really bad art out there.

My vote - contraversial I know - is this one;

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/universal-2/index.shtm

I have another one which for me is even worse, but I just know that mentioning it here is out of the question. I really will get torn to shreds.

P:S Just edited this. See link in post below

Lleminawc

That seems to be a broken link, Le.

I'm sure this is heretical but I can't stand the artwork on Godfrey Dawson's Hermetic Tarot. The worst Tarot artwork I've seen has to be the 777 Tarot by "Amado Crowley".

thorhammer

Le Fanu, are you saying that the Rohrig's art is bad? Hmm. I think it's wonderful, with the exception of that horrid 6 of Cups. I love the art on it. And what's the one you won't mention? Come on, in the interest of fairness and openness :D . . .

IMO - How could it be anything but the Power Animal Tarot?? :D })

Although the Shining Woman/Tribe and Motherpeace are ordinary. Not that they're bad decks. Just the actual skill-level involved in the art.

\m/ Kat

tarotberry

thorhammer said:
IMO - How could it be anything but the Power Animal Tarot?? :D })

thorhammer, i totally agree. there are many popular decks that don't appeal to me - it seems like everyone and their brother loves the bohemian gothic while i'm left thinking HUH?!? - but the Power Animal Tarot is just...bad! it's a total abuse of photoshop, i think. it's just like they slapped any old thing on the cards...like, right now i'm at my computer and i have an older version of photoshop but am just cranking out a deck?!? no! sorry world, there will be no diet coke and doritos tarot inspired by my breakfast. i know, i know. it's a sad loss for us all... :D

Le Fanu

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/universal-waite/

Does that link work??

R.e Power Animal tarot, gosh, yes, I had forgotten that, but then I don´t even consider that a serious deck!

I think what qualifies bad for me is actually a deck which is really trying hard, and actually falls flat. That´s also my definition of kitsch. And the Rohrig tries REALLY hard. But I still love it!

Power Animal was just rushed together in about 5 minutes. So, for me, it doesn´t really count. But - as regards my original post - yes, of course, how could it be anything but bad art?

I cannot come clean about the other one. Only Firefrost knows because I traded it with her this week!

firefrost

Le Fanu said:
I cannot come clean about the other one. Only Firefrost knows because I traded it with her this week!

Hey, I'm going on holiday for two weeks this coming weekend - now when I get back and pm you about how it's going, do I expect 'Not got it anymore', or 'wow...it's fantastic...', I wonder...?!

I'll let you into a secret, Le Fanu - I think I'm the only person on this board doesn't like any decks by this person as I don't think there's much differentce between them from what I've seen.

I'll just sit here and wait to be blasted for blaspheming now...

ilweran

Hanson-Roberts and by association the Universal Waite. Bought the Hanson-Roberts in a sale and hated it straight away! It's now safely in a new home :D I was going to get the Universal Waite, but when I looked closely at it I realised I couldn't stand it as the colouring reminded me of the Hanson-Roberts to much. There's just something sickly about it.