Silly Newbie Giddiness-or-How I Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Minor Arcana

Tristera

I've started my first tarot journal, having taken hints from people around these forums and other tarot sites. I've committed to doing a 'card of the day' for all 78 cards of Ms Kat Black's Golden Tarot deck and despite the hand cramps (I prefer handwriting though I type faster) I'm over the moon at what great mental exercise this is. :D

I don't mean to bore the more seasoned veterans to this forum and the cards in general, but I'm so happy with what I'm seeing I had to share it!

This deck is likely to be my favorite: instead of boldly proclaiming what it is I should see, I've noticed this deck has more of a 'mental nudge' approach--has anyone else felt this? The subtlety was particularly pronounced (if that makes sense) with the Six of Cups card...I received a stronger 'precious photograph' impression than anything else. I'm noticing as well I'm incorporating what I know of Chinese astrology into reading these cards (for example: the conveyed 'feminine water' element to this card as opposed to the Six of Swords which despite it's other elemental ties, calls to mind masculine [yang] water).

This post was a little rambly, oops.

Charmy

Hi Tristera,

First of all I'm so happy that you're really starting to get into the cards and beginning to incorporate your own unique knowledge into your interpretation of the cards. You'll soon find that you'll start to develop your own style of Tarot reading :) Keeping a journal is a fantastic idea, and in a few years time will make a lovely keepsake. You'll find yourself returning to it constantly to see how much your impressions of certain cards have changed over the years and such. I'm so glad that your Tarot journey is going well. All the best with it for the future!

Charmy.

Demon Goddess

Tristera said:
I've started my first tarot journal, having taken hints from people around these forums and other tarot sites. I've committed to doing a 'card of the day' for all 78 cards of Ms Kat Black's Golden Tarot deck and despite the hand cramps (I prefer handwriting though I type faster) I'm over the moon at what great mental exercise this is. :D

I don't mean to bore the more seasoned veterans to this forum and the cards in general, but I'm so happy with what I'm seeing I had to share it!

This deck is likely to be my favorite: instead of boldly proclaiming what it is I should see, I've noticed this deck has more of a 'mental nudge' approach--has anyone else felt this? The subtlety was particularly pronounced (if that makes sense) with the Six of Cups card...I received a stronger 'precious photograph' impression than anything else. I'm noticing as well I'm incorporating what I know of Chinese astrology into reading these cards (for example: the conveyed 'feminine water' element to this card as opposed to the Six of Swords which despite it's other elemental ties, calls to mind masculine [yang] water).

This post was a little rambly, oops.

Ramble on, young'un, that you can see things the painter had not intended in the deck tells me that you will find it quite comfortable to move into a glorp mentality or become a full on intuitive reader.

Welcome to our crazy little world. :)

Prism

And please think about posting to the Golden Tarot study group, which you'll find in the Tarot Study Groups section. I've been using the Golden exclusively for a while now, in an effort to improve my reading skills, and I've been posting there. It would be great to have another regular poster!

Richard Pickman

I started with tarot pretty recently myself, maybe eight or nine months ago. I keep a tarot journal and was doing the card a day thing for a while, sometimes I would do two or even three cards in the same day, just to learn them faster.

I kept a tally of all the cards that I was drawing, including how many times drawn. I very quickly noticed that there were some cards that I kept drawing multiple times. The other side of that is that I had some cards that just never showed up. Finally, I collected all of those cards and put them in a separate pile, and worked my way through them.

It seems that a lot of people do their card a day in the morning, but I like to do it at night, so I can look back on the day and see how the card fit in, rather than to be on the lookout for stuff throughout the day.

I really like the Golden Tarot-- it is not my primary deck for reading, but I have read with it a couple times, and it was pretty effective. IMO, it is one of the most beautiful decks out there, and the packaging is unparalleled, at least as far as I have seen.

Best wishes for your journey with the tarot!

Richard