PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 5 Home Remedies....

FaeryGodmother
06-08-2008, 17:05
So what are your Top 5 Home Remedies that actually work and that you use on a regular basis?

For me-
1- Red Wine Vinegar actually cures hair loss. Well at least it does/ did for me.

2- Sage really does clean and whiten teeth.

3- Thyme gargle actually does soothe a sore throat.

4- Chamomile tea really does help me get to sleep when I'm having trouble.

5- Garlic really does shorten the duration of a cold (and the length of time people want to hang around you :D)

Tansey Ella
06-08-2008, 17:11
i guess you put the red wine vinegar on your hair after washing it . do you get the smell out by just rinsing? I have started to have some thinning.

i use green apple spray and one day I discovered it stopped a migraine. try it.

FaeryGodmother
06-08-2008, 17:16
No, you saturate your hair with the vinegar starting with dry hair, wrap it up in a towel for as long as you can stand the smell or a couple of hours- whichever comes first- then wash with shampoo and condition as normal. Do this once a week till your hair stops falling out excessively. I noticed vast improvement after the second time i did it. I only loose as many hairs as is normal now- before the treatment I was pulling out rather large handfuls everytime I ran my hands through my hair.

How did you use the green apple spray?

thorhammer
06-08-2008, 17:20
I've just got the one.

Witch hazel liquid extract does wonders for all types of small abrasions and bruises. I even found out that it helps in a temporary way on minor spider veins. I use it as a toner to help the skin on my face heal from the everyday crap it goes through.

Go the Witch Hazel!

\m/ Kat

Tansey Ella
06-08-2008, 17:45
I was just spraying the green apple spray on like you do body spray, anywhere. I sprayed mine as close to my face as possible-- my shoulders or arms. of course avoid the face, as you should never use anything like that around your eyes or the tender skin or your face.

Milfoil
06-08-2008, 19:08
Butter, sugar & onion (I know, sounds awful) all mushed up together, enough of each to make one teaspoonful. Excellent to sooth coughs and sore throats.

Witchhazel - superb stuff, as thorhammer says, bruises and skin stuff its really helpful also if you soak two cotton wool pads and place onto tired eyes it reduces puffyness and irritation caused by hayfever. (plus, I just love the smell)

Anam Cara
06-08-2008, 19:21
If you get a build up of hair products in your hair
(conditioners, gel, spray, etc...) don't use a harsh
super-cleaning shampoo!

Instead, make a paste of baking soda and water in
a small plastic baggie, get your hair thoroughly wet,
then apply the baking soda paste. I do this in the shower,
leave the paste on for 2-3 minutes, as I attend to
other ablutions ;), then rinse out and shampoo and
condition as usual....your hair will be soooooo SOFT!!!

It's very mild and you can use it as often as once a
week, but I have dry hair and once a month works
well for me.

I've even got my hubby hooked on this stuff!!
:heart:cara

franniee
06-08-2008, 22:24
I steam clean my face with boiled. Then I rinse it with icey cold water.

I use witch hazel on my facial astringent.

I put homemade yogurt on my face as a mask.

Hot olive oil (be careful) in my hair and wrap it up.

Someone here told me to ground myself by splashing my face with water and sea salt... I do that now. :D

Garlic, zinc and Vitamin C will lessen a cold. Echinacea is good too. ;)

celticnoodle
06-08-2008, 23:03
Butter, sugar & onion (I know, sounds awful) all mushed up together, enough of each to make one teaspoonful. Excellent to sooth coughs and sore throats.I remember my grandmother and mom doing this one!!! totally forgot till I read your post! all these posts have been great, I've learned quite a lot of new things here, and will be trying some of them. and, I'm going to add:

1. when you have an upset stomach or you are nausead, make a tea with jello. just 1/2 packet of jello in a coffee cup and add boil water-stir and sip at it. your nausea will disappear and it really helps with the upset stomach too! and the best part--it tastes GREAT!!!

2. Vitamin E tablets for dry skin. I take one a day, and it really helps. Plus, if you get a rough patch or have a scrape or small wound, take a pin and put a hole in the vitamin E tablet and rub it on the above, and it will help it to heal faster. Also good to put on baby's face, when they get to the point of drooling, and it dries out their skin around the face.

3. Acidophilus tablets are great if you're prone to yeast infections.

4. Lysine tablets help with cold sores as well as colds. However, if you cannot find Lysine tablets, take a Q-tip and dip it in a little bit of Listerine--then rub it on your cold sore. the cold sore will heal in no time!

5. dip your toothbrush into a bit of peroxide to help keep your teeth bright and clean--and brush it also on your tongue and inside of the mouth--helps to kill all the bad bacteria. You can dip it into the peroxide and then put the toothpaste on top if you wish and get all done at the same time.

6. oh, and another one re:vinegar for dear ol poochie or kitty-Vinegar also helps to repell fleas off your dog.Mix one part water, one part vinegar and spray on your dog. can also be used for kitty too. not sure how much they'll like you for this, but it will get rid of the itchy fleas!

7. Plus! if you have a dirt floor basement, (like we do & did in our old house) and want to get rid of both the mold and mildew smell and help to control the bug problem, mix one part vinegar and one part water and spray all around your dirt floor and walls. however, one part bleach and one part water also helps. a great tip for owners of very old houses with dirt floors. ;)

Milfoil
06-08-2008, 23:45
5. dip your toothbrush into a bit of peroxide to help keep your teeth bright and clean--and brush it also on your tongue and inside of the mouth--helps to kill all the bad bacteria. You can dip it into the peroxide and then put the toothpaste on top if you wish and get all done at the same time.

Oooh . . . blonde teeth!

:laugh:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

mystic mal
07-08-2008, 00:14
Half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in luke warm water gets rid of heartburn and trapped wind instantly also good to dip your toothbrush in soda,teeth gleam and leave them feeling like you.ve just had a full dentist clean.

Drink a cupful of water that you have boiled your cabbage in,clears up any spots and purifies your blood.

And for bad patches of dry skin,ecxema or any dry skin conditions rub on honey then wrap it in clingfilm and leave on for as long as you can,scaly parts disappear and leave the skin smooth and itch free.

Apollonia
07-08-2008, 00:22
Essential oil of lavender, used neat (directly on the skin), for immediate relief of burns. Most essential oils are not for use on the skin without dilution, but lavender is an exception, and it really works.

I also use lavender face wash to clean out minor cuts and abrasions. It's mild but really healing.

Haunted Wood
07-08-2008, 01:31
- Aloe vera is awesome stuff. Really great for putting on cuts and pimples. I find straight from the plant is better than any bottled stuff.
- Garlic oil capsules for a healthy immune system/cold and flu fighter
- Baking (bicarb) soda as a substitute for shampoo. I haven't done this for a while because I got lazy, but I went through a phase where I concluded that the chemicals in hair products/dyes were bad. It cleans the hair really well. Just mix a couple of tablespoons with water into a paste and apply to the scalp, massage in and rinse out. You really have to work it in and it takes time, but essentially all you need to wash is the hair closest to the scalp (unless you have product in the length of your hair that needs washing out). Thoroughly massaging the scalp will encourage hair growth too.
- Olive oil (a small amount, only a drop or two) on the ends of the hair if it's dry
- Best home remedy for clearing up pimples - try not to touch your face, or pick at them. I find this hard to do and still get the odd one that I pick at, but I'm trying not to. Just try and keep the face clean (the acne washes don't do anything for me, I find a plain sorbolene body/face wash or dove soap is best), and wear make up as little as possible or not at all.
- I once completely got rid of a large wart on my finger by putting raw garlic on it for a period of about 3-4 weeks. What I did was I crushed up a clove and put some of it on the wart and covered it with a bandaid, and repeated on a daily basis. The garlic is like acid (be careful to only use a tiny bit because it can burn the skin) and will eat away at the wart if you keep it covered and dry. It took a while and looked awful, but what it did was the wart became a pussy scab (which hurt too) but then started to dry up, flake off and heal over. It was a fairly large wart as warts go and didn't leave any scar.

afrosaxon
07-08-2008, 01:50
Yogurt (yep, the ones in the plastic cups) helps with yeast infections. :D

Ginger is aces for nausea. You can even just steep a medium-sized piece of ginger root in hot water, sweeten to taste (if needed) and sip it. You can buy ginger root from farmers markets, international markets (especially if you live in an area with a significant immigrant population) or maybe even Whole Foods and the like.

This may not be very natural, but...my grandmother always tore off a small piece of a paper bag, dampened it, and applied it to the middle of my forehead when I had hiccups. STrange, but it stopped them. :laugh:

Garlic is great for the immune system and also helps lower cholesterol.

Witch Hazel is excellent, especially for oily skin.

Bananas are great for heartburn.

T.

Milfoil
07-08-2008, 02:30
Yogurt (yep, the ones in the plastic cups) helps with yeast infections. :D

Has to be live yoghurt though! ;)

celticnoodle
07-08-2008, 02:40
This may not be very natural, but...my grandmother always tore off a small piece of a paper bag, dampened it, and applied it to the middle of my forehead when I had hiccups. STrange, but it stopped them. :laugh:T.that is a new one! never heard of it, but will keep it in mind and try it next time i get the hiccups! :D

Milfoil
07-08-2008, 02:42
Yarrow (Milfoil) tea for 'women's' complaints. PMT, aches & menstrual cramps. Taken regularly it does help.

To make a cast iron pan non-stick, heat up some salt in it, moving the salt all around the surface of the pan for 5 mins on a high heat.

morticia monroe
07-08-2008, 03:12
PUT SOME WINDEX ON IT!!! :)

Sorry, but I love that movie.....good ol' Gus.

I second afrosaxon about the ginger for nausea. My daughter used to get carsick like crazy until I had her nibble on gingersnaps before the ride. It worked.

I've never had a sore throat that gargling with warm salted water 3-4 times a day didn't cure.

Super glue will kill a wart. (They have to breathe).

When you get brain freeze, wrap your hands around your neck (wrists together, fingers pointing towards the back), and it goes away in seconds.

missycab
07-08-2008, 04:43
Some home remedies...

1. For parasites (we used to get them when we were kids): swallow a clover of garlic.

2. For headaches: cut a potatoe in slices, put some slices in a cloth, make some sort of bandana, and put it in your forehead.

3. For nausea: hot water + lemon juice + sugar.

4. For earaches (when it's not an infection): put some warm oil inside the ear.

5. For indigestion: oregano tea.

Tarotphelia
07-08-2008, 04:53
A mix of lemon juice and and a little dish soap is a good cleaner for rust and scum .

Oregano , olive leaf , and odorless garlic capsules are natural germ killers . I take them every day and haven't had a cold in years , or any bladder infections .

If you get a bladder infection drink an alka seltzer tablet dissolved in cranberry juice at the first sign , which is supposed to start getting rid of it immediately . (try at your own risk , no guarantees, worked for me )

Sweeping inexpensive boric acid powder under the baseboards and into cracks will act as a bug killing barrier . You can also use it to make your own ant bait killer . Supposed to be non toxic to adult humans , but I don't know about any pet effects it might have . It will also kill vegetation if you mix it with water and pour it on . Plus , it prevents wood rot .

Taking liquid calcium capsules daily really helped cut way down on my migraine headaches .

Taking vitamin B6 , folic acid , and a magnesium tablet every day elliminated my problems with premenstrual water retention and breast soreness.

You can make your own inexpensive moisturizer with a mix of vegetable shortening from the grocery store plus pure glycerin . No irritating extra additives that you will usually find in commercial creams . You can also scent it to suit yourself with fragrance oils if you want . Olive oil is also a good moisturizer that isn't full of chemicals , and it's anti-fungal too .

If you add about 1/3 water to your shampoo , it will usually be easier to work into a lather and you'll probably waste less of it in the long run .

A mix of D-con (mouse poison pellets) and peanut butter will do a great job of killing rodents . But using the Mice Cube is probably better because you have a choice of whether or not to poison them or release them , and it ensures they won't be dying in your walls . It's not a bad idea to keep one baited in an inconspicuous place just in case something ever gets in .

Sophie
07-08-2008, 06:02
Great tip on the red wine vinegar, Faerygodmother - I've had that problem awhile, I'll give the vinegar treatment a go.

My non-exhaustive list of tips, which have worked for me and/or my family:

- fresh aloe vera gel (straight from the plant) soothes sunburn and heals cuts and grazes.
- thyme tea (with fresh thyme if possible, but dry is fine) is invaluable to heal all chest and throat complaints (to expand of FG's gargle tip)
- 5 drops of cypress and 15 drops of geranium essential oils in a small tube of E-45 cream, or of KY jelly or Vaseline, will cure piles and help prevent them.
- lavender essential oil neat on the skin will cure athlete's foot, spots, sunburn, boils and most other ordinary skin complaints.
- linseed in plain yoghurt with honey for breakfast will keep you regular and your intestinal flora happy
- geranium, lavender, lemon and bergamot essential oils in a light base oil makes the best mosquito and fly repellent you can find. Don't wear it before sunbathing because of the citrus content - it comes into its own towards the end of the day when the mozzies are out in full force.
- thrush attacks can be counter-attacked with a mix of: yoghurt mixed with chamomile & lavender essential oils, dipped in a tampon and inserted - to be replaced every 12 hours; alongside that, eat lots of garlic, which is a fungicide.
- marjoram compress will alleviate painful, stiff muscles.

FaeryGodmother
07-08-2008, 13:05
Wow, theres some great tips here. Keep 'em coming. :D

1. when you have an upset stomach or you are nausead, make a tea with jello. just 1/2 packet of jello in a coffee cup and add boil water-stir and sip at it. your nausea will disappear and it really helps with the upset stomach too! and the best part--it tastes GREAT!
Trying this one out as we speak. My daughter has been sick for almost a week and nauseous and unable to eat much. She liked this idea. I'll let you knwo how it goes.

2. For headaches: cut a potatoe in slices, put some slices in a cloth, make some sort of bandana, and put it in your forehead.
I can't believe i saw this! I seriously thought my mother was kidding when she told me about this the other day, LOL!

Also I'm so glad Aloe Vera has been mentioned. I can't believe I forgot to include it on my list. Its something I use so often that I forgot it was a home remedy :D:D:D

Sinduction
07-08-2008, 14:25
Taking magnesium every day will keep you from getting kidney stones. (Well it helps me, I've had them 3 times and it's always when I stop taking it.) Stay under the recommended daily intake though, it also eases anxiety.

I've also used acidophilus gelcaps to cure bacterial infections in my how-shall-I-put-it "nether region." I inserted them, not ingested. I tried this after several rounds of antibiotics did nothing. And the re-occurring infection never returned. *round of applause for these gelcaps*

I use olive oil on my hair and skin, even my cuticles and my feet. I'm an addict.

You can also buy ginger in a capsule for motion sickness/nausea, but I just drink ginger ale, or cola. I believe the cola syrup works much like pepto.

I probably have more but that's all I think I can personally vouch for.

I'm nuts for hair stuff so I'm trying the baking soda and vinegar thing.

Haunted Wood
07-08-2008, 14:35
Hey all of these tips are so great :D I think I'll have the try the lavender essential oil on my skin. Looks like garlic has a thousand uses! I've heard of it being used for yeast infections - as in putting it 'up there'...I've never had a yeast infection but if I ever get one I'll try it. Ooh and I have another one - you know how after a while the inside of the kettle gets a build up of white scum? Well you can get rid of it by boiling some white vinegar in it a few times, it gets rid of the scum.

ravenest
07-08-2008, 15:50
1. Food and produce grown by myself, with compost and soil preparations made by me - all organic. The more I eat of that, the less problems I have.

2. Aloe Vera as a treatment for burns and dry skin. I used whole slab of the plant tissue on a bad burn, bandaged it in place and left undisturbed for two days. The liquid from the plant had all been absorbed and the remaining plant tissue formed a thin film like plastic skin on the burn. The 'skin' lasted
until it wore off (about three days) leaving unscarred new skin exposed. I just posted recently about using aloe Vera gel as an ear conditioner.

3. Yarrow, easy to grow and a great healer. I had read that Alexander the Great's army carried it to treat sword wounds. That is a serious wound! So I tried it on a cut, that I believe needed about six stiches ( I have previously worked in a hospital, including Accident & Emergency and Operating Theatre). I chewed up the leaves into a poultice, held the cut together, packed the yarrow around it and bound it so as to hold the cut firmly closed in position. Then bound my foot to restrict movement. I kept still for two days and checked in on the third. OH NO! The dressing was horrible and green and stained. The skin was a sickly dark green and black. But as I looked closer I realised that it was mostly the herb. I brushed it off and my skin was stained by the herb. The cut had healed to a small thin scar about as wide as a razor blade. I poked it and pulled it then tried to pull it apart, it had totally healed.

4. Colloid. Silver solution. I have access to the simple apparatus to make my own and good quality water to start. An anti-viral agent and purifier.

5. Gravel washes / scrubs in the river. Scours off old skin and revitalises the spirit. And hot oil massages in front of the open fireplace.

FaeryGodmother
07-08-2008, 16:37
Typical of my strange child- she likes the lemon and ginger tea better then the jello tea. :rolleyes: At least its working.

TomTom
07-08-2008, 16:40
Magnesium helps me with constipation. It strengthens muscles, including the heart.

Black cherries, fresh, or canned, or concentrated juice helps inflammation and reduces uric acid accumulations in the joints, and it good for gout.

Also good for the above is a tbsp of apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp honey unaltered honey in a glass of hot water.

Aloe Vera for age spots and red blotchy skin

Fragaria Vesca (wild strawberry) tincture for softening of tarter, swollen tongue, and sore mouth.

A bath with sea salt detoxifies.

Hydrogen Peroxide and baking soda for whitening teeth.

I love this thread and am glad I found it :)

There is more but I have to to remember.

TomTom

ana luisa
07-08-2008, 22:36
Take 4 capsules of Cod Liver Oil every day at breakfast and lunch time (2/2). This gives your immune system an incredible boost. I use this for not catching colds and it's been almost 15 years now, and still going strong :)

celticnoodle
07-08-2008, 22:37
I've also used acidophilus gelcaps to cure bacterial infections in my how-shall-I-put-it "nether region." I inserted them, not ingested. I tried this after several rounds of antibiotics did nothing. And the re-occurring infection never returned. *round of applause for these gelcaps*oh yes, I have forgotten this. you can also dissolve two tabs in some water and then add to your bath water to help.

You can also buy ginger in a capsule for motion sickness/nausea, but I just drink ginger ale, or cola. I believe the cola syrup works much like pepto.yes, i much prefer the cola, but my mother also would give us gingerale. you can even use the ginger spice in your spice cabinet, and mix a tablespoon in water--but it doesn't taste as nice. I suffer from motion sickness often, (due to an inner ear disorder), and go through a lot of cola as a result--it helps to keep it at a minimum and go away when the attacks come.

another great thing with the coke, I also have very low blood sugar, and I need to pop open a can of coke every now again when I'm feeling sluggish. it truly helps me get through the day. I'm sure some of it is the caffeine in the coke, but the sugar content in the soda is helpful too. Just wish it didn't pack on the pounds in the process. :D

and, don't forget oatmeal baths for when you have poison anything, or just want a nice relaxing bath that will also make your skin feel delightful afterwards!

celticnoodle
07-08-2008, 22:43
3. Yarrow, easy to grow and a great healer. I had read that Alexander the Great's army carried it to treat sword wounds. That is a serious wound! So I tried it on a cut, that I believe needed about six stiches ( I have previously worked in a hospital, including Accident & Emergency and Operating Theatre). I chewed up the leaves into a poultice, held the cut together, packed the yarrow around it and bound it so as to hold the cut firmly closed in position. Then bound my foot to restrict movement. I kept still for two days and checked in on the third. OH NO! The dressing was horrible and green and stained. The skin was a sickly dark green and black. But as I looked closer I realised that it was mostly the herb. I brushed it off and my skin was stained by the herb. The cut had healed to a small thin scar about as wide as a razor blade. I poked it and pulled it then tried to pull it apart, it had totally healed.wow! this is very interesting. I'm going to see if I can find a yarrow plant or some seeds and plant it myself and keep on hand.

celticnoodle
07-08-2008, 22:45
Typical of my strange child- she likes the lemon and ginger tea better then the jello tea. :rolleyes: At least its working.:laugh: oh well--guess it's a 'developed' taste! we even make jello teas for whenever we want to sit around and sip it. jello is rarely made into jello deserts--usually just tea. :D

hope your daughter is soon feeling much better!

Alta
07-08-2008, 22:49
This is such a great thread!!! I am going to Sticky it, and I hope that doesn't mean it gets 'lost' at the top of the Forum.

Best,
Alta

cheekyminx
07-08-2008, 22:57
Fish oil x 3 @ breakfast and dinner
Multivitamins with minerals x 2 @ dinner
Flax-seed x3 @ breakfast and dinner

Haven't been sick in a long time :D Works wonders for me.

Tea tree oil is great for abrasions, cuts etc

Milfoil
07-08-2008, 23:11
wow! this is very interesting. I'm going to see if I can find a yarrow plant or some seeds and plant it myself and keep on hand.

They don't do well from seed, much better to either take a cutting or (best way) to find a plant in spring when it is just starting to make vigorous growth and take a portion of it with root.

They don't like rich soil, in fact where Yarrow grows, which is mostly on margins and edges like roadsides, yards, old industrial areas etc it is usually quite dry and poor soil.

celticnoodle
08-08-2008, 03:35
They don't do well from seed, much better to either take a cutting or (best way) to find a plant in spring when it is just starting to make vigorous growth and take a portion of it with root.

They don't like rich soil, in fact where Yarrow grows, which is mostly on margins and edges like roadsides, yards, old industrial areas etc it is usually quite dry and poor soil.oh-thanks, milfoil. guess i'll have to wait for next spring then. as for the dry and poor soil--that is probably perfect for me! i'm known as 'THE PLANT KILLER' in our home. It's been quite sometime since I've actually killed a plant though--and it truly isn't all my fault--we travel extensively, and that doesn't help, but the title sticks to this day. :(

Indil
08-08-2008, 09:43
Goodness, I'm a home-remedy queen! Of course, when you don't have health insurance... you kinda have to be!

1. Apple Cider Vinegar. Cures everything. Takes pain away from sunburns. A couple of tablespoons will cure heartburn and indigestion. Taken on a daily basis you can naturally lose weight. Drink hot with water and honey, clears the sinuses completely. I could go on and on and on...

2. Hydrogen Peroxide. Another cure all. Cleans out ear wax, great teeth whitener and breath freshener (someone already said this). Gets rid of cold sores. AMAZING skin treatment... swab some on your face, five minutes later, look in the mirror and whamo! 5 years younger. Great for exfoliation, too -- I like to use it when hair is starting to grow back in after waxing as it helps prevent ingrown hairs. I could go on with this one, too...

3. Epsom Salts. Taking a bath with it helps with menstrual cramps. Of course, aids in constipation.

4. Coconut Oil. Yet ANOTHER cure all. This is naturally anti-fungal... when most people have infections and go to the doctor for antibiotics that don't work, it's cause you have a fungus infection and NOT a bacterial infection. I had a horrible sinus infection in January with severely swollen nodes on the back of my neck. A couple of hundred dollars later and ineffectual antibiotics, I looked online for a natural cure. A couple of tablespoons cleared up my sinuses in a snap, and my lymph nodes went back to normal size within 24 hours. Plus, with all the stupid after effects of taking the antibiotics, I got a slight yeast infection... slabbed some coconut oil on, instant relief. Great on athletes foot, good for oil pulling (for those that are into that)...

5. Black-strap molasses. Clears your system out like nobody's business. Taken internally, your skin softens up and just glows, makes your hair shiny, your nails strong...

Everyone *must* check out www.earthclinic.com. I've turned so many people onto to the apple cider vinegar alone, and have single-handedly "cured" a lot of people from a number of ailments!

ravenest
08-08-2008, 16:36
wow! this is very interesting. I'm going to see if I can find a yarrow plant or some seeds and plant it myself and keep on hand.
Then get prepared for a nice big cut after you get it ... :shrug: ... these things happen (well, to me anyway).

Sophie
08-08-2008, 19:00
Coconut oil is also great for psoriasis and eczema. I didn't know about it being good for thrush and sinusitis, good tip :) - for the latter, do you swallow it or stick it up your nose?

Indil
08-08-2008, 19:15
Coconut oil is also great for psoriasis and eczema. I didn't know about it being good for thrush and sinusitis, good tip :) - for the latter, do you swallow it or stick it up your nose?

Well, sticking it up your nose wouldn't hurt, I guess! It's awfully greasy stuff, though. ;-)

I ingest it thought... I'm not too big of a fan of coconut, unfortunately. My favorite way is mixed with a sweet tea or hot cocoa -- the latter is quite tasty. Granted, it's still an oil and floats at the top, so sip carefully to get a good mix.

I know that a lot of people enjoy it mixed in with their smoothies... interesting thing about coconut oil is that it's melting point is only 75 degrees. My jar is currently liquefied right now when it normally looks like shortening. So, if you mix it with something cold, you have to mix it very well.

Feretian
08-08-2008, 21:32
Aloe vera. Can't be said too many times. Burns, abrasions, sunburn relief. And ONLY straight from the plant...lotions have so little you might as well use water.

Slippery elm...for sore throat. stomach problems. Okra works as well.

missycab
09-08-2008, 00:23
For sunburns... tomato!!

Just cut slices of it and put them over the sunburn area!

afrosaxon
09-08-2008, 01:21
another great thing with the coke, I also have very low blood sugar, and I need to pop open a can of coke every now again when I'm feeling sluggish. it truly helps me get through the day. I'm sure some of it is the caffeine in the coke, but the sugar content in the soda is helpful too. Just wish it didn't pack on the pounds in the process. :D

Again, I'm not sure how "natural" this is, but Colas are primarily made of water and phosphoric acid...it's good for cleaning greasy spots off clothes, removing rings from the toilet, removing rust from nails, and unclogging drains (among other things).

No joke.

I love to drink it, though :cool:

T.

huredriel
09-08-2008, 02:30
Aloe vera. Can't be said too many times. Burns, abrasions, sunburn relief. And ONLY straight from the plant...lotions have so little you might as well use water.
You can also use it on your face overnight instead of moisturiser. Helps to clear problem skin :)

WishingWell
09-08-2008, 08:04
Magnesium for tight muscles. On the labor ward, at the hospital where my mother works, they administer "mag" to expectant mothers to help relax their muscles and ease delivery.

When my back is acting up, I pop a couple of magnesium sups and take a hot shower. It works wonders.

Lemon juice for demineralizing my hair. We have well water- ick!- which turns my blonde highlights brassy orange. I've spent up to $60 a month in treatments to clean up the iron and calcium deposits. I now save myself $55 a month by pouring the contents of a plastic lemon juice bottle onto my hair and letting it sit for a few hours.

This isn't exactly a home remedy, but I can't live without Head & Shoulders as a face wash. It reduces inflammation and keeps the dermatitis which sometimes appears on my forehead and cheeks GONE!

celticnoodle
09-08-2008, 10:33
Again, I'm not sure how "natural" this is, but Colas are primarily made of water and phosphoric acid...it's good for cleaning greasy spots off clothes, removing rings from the toilet, removing rust from nails, and unclogging drains (among other things).

No joke.

I love to drink it, though :cool:

T.oh yes, I know coke has many various uses. my daughter used it to remove an oil stain that was on her driveway--just poured it on top of the stain and allowed it to sit awhile-and then washed it away with water later. pretty scarey, eh? :D

Magnesium for tight muscles. On the labor ward, at the hospital where my mother works, they administer "mag" to expectant mothers to help relax their muscles and ease delivery.

When my back is acting up, I pop a couple of magnesium sups and take a hot shower. It works wonders.oh, so glad to see this! my friend is currently suffering from terrible muscle pains - head to toe. several drugs prescribed to her for it, which sometimes help, sometimes not--and always makes her feel nauseated. I'm going to mention this to her--maybe she can try it!

geministar
17-08-2008, 12:35
I have to agree with the garlic for a cold. The minute I feel something coming on I get into the garlic tablets :)

Flaxseed oil for psoriasis and/or dermatitis - just put a bit on your finger and dab onto the spot - takes the dryness and itchiness right out. But also have a tblespn a day - totally clears it right up :D

Red Emma
30-09-2008, 15:12
1) For tension headaches, burn a lavender candle.
I used to have such severe headaches I'd upchuck. The M.D.'s gave me some strong, dangerous pain pills. A friend told me about lavender candles which cured it immediately. (The medics were valiently trying to help, and have no idea how effective herbs can be.)

Lavender, in candles or on your kleenex held against your nose, very relaxing, and lovely to smell.

(I'll have to finish this later, DH just suggested we take a walk.)

LeaRoseQuartz
30-09-2008, 17:37
Thanks, Indil for a great site (earthclinic.com)! My husband and I have been using the apple cider vinegar cure-all. He has liver and gallbladder problems and it stopped his last attack right away! Also, he has lost 10 pounds. I have kidney problems and I'm feeling a little better since I started just a few days ago. Your advice is a life saver! Apple cider vinegar is good for your whole body!

Red Emma
01-10-2008, 15:54
Several things to help with colds, stuffed, painful sinuses, and that.

1) As others have mentioned, ginger tea helps to shorten the life of a cold. My granddaughter swears by it, and I drink it, although I don't much like it.

2) If I take goldenseal soon enough, it stops a cold dead in its tracks.

3) Echanacea has gotten a bad rap in the popular press. Recent research indicates that it does shorten the length of a cold.

4) For stuffed, painful sinuses, we put a pan of water on the stove and add a few drops of mint or eucalyptus. Then we stand over it and breathe the steam for 3 1/2 minutes about three times a day. It clears it right up. If, however, the infection's been around for a while, it may take two or three days to begin to give relief. Then it clears right up.

Best wishes,

Red Emma

TomTom
01-10-2008, 15:57
In regard to magnesium, ionized liquid magnesium straight out of the bottle is absorbed right away by the body.
Magnesium is good for all muscles, including the heart.
Zinc is helpful as well.
I like Penaten for everything that is skin irritation.

:heart: TomTom

Debra
01-10-2008, 17:21
Does anyone have a natural insect repellent we can use on our skin instead of DEET?

There are chiggers in the woods behind the house. They are almost microscopic but boy, they know what they're doing. They drill little holes in your ankles, inject some hideous chemicals, and then go away. Four or five hours later, little blisters all over, itch like hell-- for a long time. Like, weeks.

The pharmacist and the internet both say (it must be true!) that the bugs don't live in the skin or lay eggs there.

I can live with the itching but it's prevention I'm worried about.

olori
05-11-2008, 10:28
One that I have used quite a bit for strong gas pains due to the flu or diarrehea is Thyme Tea. You can either use powdered thyme or leafed. With the powdered I bring water to a boil and pour over leaves or 1 tsp. of the powdered spice and let steep for 20 minutes.

Another is - I take cream soap and empty out a 1/4 of the bottle and pour in Olive Oil and fill to the top and shake up well. This works really well for dry skin. Now that I do this I can't bring myself to go back to just using the cream soap alone. It just wouldn't be the same.

Teacups
05-11-2008, 10:52
In regard to magnesium, ionized liquid magnesium straight out of the bottle is absorbed right away by the body.
Magnesium is good for all muscles, including the heart.
Zinc is helpful as well.
I like Penaten for everything that is skin irritation.

:heart: TomTom

I can't live without the magnesium. I used to get "leg twitchies" otherwise known as "restless leg syndrome". I've even seen ads on TV for a prescription for this (so scarey to think...) and one magnesium capsule takes care of the problem of restless legs within 15 minutes. Then husband and I can both get sleep, I don't feel like I'm tapdancing, and he doesn't get kicked

Also, just squeezed my last batch of elderberry tincture today. It should last all winter. At the first sign of a sore throat, we take about a tablespoon mixed with cranberry (or breakfast type juice, but not orange juice=ick) and it nips that cold in the bud

olori
16-11-2008, 08:51
Does anyone have a natural insect repellent we can use on our skin instead of DEET?

There are chiggers in the woods behind the house. They are almost microscopic but boy, they know what they're doing. They drill little holes in your ankles, inject some hideous chemicals, and then go away. Four or five hours later, little blisters all over, itch like hell-- for a long time. Like, weeks.

The pharmacist and the internet both say (it must be true!) that the bugs don't live in the skin or lay eggs there.

Hi Debra,

UP here in British Columbia we use a herb called Tansy. It grows in the wild in the lower mainland. You can take the leaves and rub them all over you. I am unsure if you can use this for Chiggers, but this works really well for Mosquito's.
Tansy has quite a strong smell when the leaves are bruised, but it is worth it!
I sure that you can get it down in your area.

Debra
16-11-2008, 09:34
Thanks for the tansy tip! I work at a shop that stocks herbs--I'll ask the boss about it when the weather gets warm again. Much appreciated.

Red Emma
17-11-2008, 15:20
I seem to have come to a relentless plateau in my weight loss program, I hoped that the vinegar (apple cider type) would get me started again. I've taken two teaspoons a day in 16 oz of water (sipping, not chugging) for about two weeks without any success.

Are there further suggestions?

LeaRoseQuartz
17-11-2008, 17:05
Hi Emma! I've been taking apple cider vinegar, also. I put 2 tsps. in half a cup of unsweetened apple juice, then followed by another half a cup of juice, to get the taste out of my mouth and to settle my stomach. I do this 3 times a day (every 8 hours). I've lost some weight, but my eating habits are out of control. They say the vinegar works, but I need to watch my diet alot more. I've always had severe depression all my life and find that I eat to make myself feel better. But, of course, lol, that then makes me feel worse! I also need to exercise. Walking everyday is a good way. Well, I'm going to try harder, so I'll be happier in the spring! You hang in there! I'll be thinking about you! Lea

Red Emma
18-11-2008, 03:29
Thanks, Lea,

Depression is one of my big hurdles, too. Because of it, my M.D. changed me from St. Johns Wort as an antidepressant to Prozac. That helped as I was depressed less often, thus less tempted to eat unwisely.

My biggest weight loss came about half-way through the post traumatic stress treatment, EMDR. The weight just started dropping away. That stopped after I'd lost about 1/2 as much as was needed. Now I have to do the rest cold-turkey. (Sigh). I hoped that the vinegar would help, even a little bit.

Lots of good luck -- and a whole lot less depression.

Emma

LeaRoseQuartz
18-11-2008, 07:23
Hi Emma! Thank you! I like your name! My grandaughter's name is Emma Rose Joyce. Joyce is my real name. What is EMDR? For depression, I just started taking evening primrose. I've taken st. john's wort, also, with no results. Also, I've tried countless medications from doctors. None of them worked for me. Side effects from some of them were, I litterly couldn't get off the couch (thorazine), blood in my eye (impramine, and it left a red vein in it), and prozac (panic feeling, angry, a tugging in my throat and when I used salt, even a little was too much). Also, they all made me gain weight! My daughter takes prozac and says it helps her. I'm glad to hear, that it's helping you. Good luck to you, also! Lea

Red Emma
18-11-2008, 15:15
EMDR, the treatment for post tramautic stress, stands for Eye Movement, then a word I can't remember -- something like, but a lot gentler than Destruction, -- then Rebuilding.

It's been three or four years but I kind of remember it this way: Trauma, such as any terrifying experience, like war, child abuse, and the like, leave negative energy trapped in the Old Brain. There's a better name, and a scientific name, for this part of the brain, but I just don't remember tonight. Kind of tired, I guess.

Anyhow the Eye Movement seems to get the two parts of the brain to work together, and the negative energy can be (mostly) dislodged. That's the 'Destruction' part. The therapist then works with the client to Rebuild.

It's not fun, but its a lot better than the constant battering of depression and other mental instabilities. Also, several of my physical problems kind of melted away. Like a whole lot of weight, and other maladies I prefer not to think about let alone talk about.

My lesson for today.

Lots of good luck.

Emma

LeaRoseQuartz
18-11-2008, 17:41
Thank you, Emma. Sorry for the hell you've been through. Lea

Red Emma
18-11-2008, 19:39
Thanks, it's kind of you. You must be quite perceptive. Other people I describe EMDR to don't see so deeply. Anyhow, I'm in my eighties, happy, and I've survived. Besides that, it's turned out that I understand people fairly well which is useful in my profession as a writer.

Blessings,

Emma

Alta
18-11-2008, 23:09
A quick Google gives:

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing

and there seems to be tons of resources for this.

I have heard of this in past and in professional context and I think it is held in high regard from what I read.

LadyKathryn
17-01-2009, 20:38
I know everyone is touting AVC for coughs.

I have asthma...but i'm also working with children teaching swimming lessons..i started in about november!

I am ALERGIC to Vinegar...and i have a LOT of trouble with Ginger.. Aparently I am an alien and I'm the only person on the planet that seems to be affected by ginger in the way that it MAKES me throw up!

I will try the coconut oil....though i hate coconut!

Is there anything else besides garlic and ginger and onions for wheezing and coughing out there? I tried the earth clinic site....and i just saw a TON for AVC...but since i can't take that ....what do i do???

I have the cough for 2 weeks...finally antibiotics start to work...and then i'm mostly better for about a week and the coughing and weezing comes back!
Then i start the anti biotics again.....same thing...1-2 weeks..and now i'm a bit better... but the wheezing is back...I'm mostly fine during the day...jsut exhausted...workign out doesn't help *i am a personal trainer./lifegaurd so i know when to workout and when not to* I wait for a bit...and once i feel strong again i work out..but it seems that as soon as i do.. i'm back to feeling wheezy...i know asthma...but i haven't been this bad in a long time.

I can't sleep..i'm tired..and irratible... anyone been around a sleep deprived cranky taurus with mars in ares???? hell i even horrify myself!

Soooooooooo to save my poor aching ribs and my poor girlfriend's nerves...

WHAT CAN I DO????????????

thanks
LK.

Debra
18-01-2009, 05:12
Equal amounts of essential oils of pine, eucalyptus and tea tree. Put a few drops into a shallow bowl of boiling water, put a towel over your head and inhale the steam for as long as you're comfortable (make a "tent" with the towel to keep the steam in). Feel better soon, I hope.

firemaiden
18-01-2009, 05:37
I seem to have come to a relentless plateau in my weight loss program, I hoped that the vinegar (apple cider type) would get me started again. I've taken two teaspoons a day in 16 oz of water (sipping, not chugging) for about two weeks without any success.

I think the vinegar solution would have an application if the source of your weight were a sluggish gall bladder, and therefore an inconsistent release of bile, and therefore difficulty in efficiently digesting fat. The vinegar or the lemon juice is a life-saver for me, when the gall bladder acts up...

However if this is not the reason for the weight not budging, I cannot see how it would have any effect.

My favorite home remedies...

1) for headache: exercise, sleep and sex. (or sex and sleep)
2) for nausea: chewing on a raw ginger stalk.
3) for heartburn: eat something bland, like cream of wheat, or yogurt.
4) for acting up gall-bladder: lemon juice in water, and yes, magnesium.
5) for jumpy legs: magnesium
6) for insomnia: exercise, focus on a point of light, a hot bath, magnesium, sex...
7) for depression and misery: exercise, sleep, sex, COFFEE
8) for inability to leave the computer screen: slamming the lid down.

firemaiden
18-01-2009, 05:45
Is there anything else besides garlic and ginger and onions for wheezing and coughing out there? I tried the earth clinic site....and i just saw a TON for AVC...but since i can't take that ....what do i do???

YES! Magnesium. Liquid Magnesium, maybe three times a day.

I once had a HORRIBLE lingering bronchitus, I thought I was dying of TB or something, I had it for six months! Then I went to France, where the doctors are notoriously trained not only in medicine, but also in the black arts :D - (read Marcel Ayme), and an adorable French doctor gave me packs of glass ampoules filled with a liquid magnesium solution to put in juice. It stopped that cough in its tracks within a week.

LadyKathryn
18-01-2009, 11:32
YES! Magnesium. Liquid Magnesium, maybe three times a day.

I once had a HORRIBLE lingering bronchitus, I thought I was dying of TB or something, I had it for six months! Then I went to France, where the doctors are notoriously trained not only in medicine, but also in the black arts :D - (read Marcel Ayme), and an adorable French doctor gave me packs of glass ampoules filled with a liquid magnesium solution to put in juice. It stopped that cough in its tracks within a week.

ROCK ON!!!! THANKS!!!

P.S MSM will stop a fibromyalgia attack *flare up* dead in it's tracks.

Also if someone has the hiccups...ask them what their middle name is... they'll answer... if it was a quick answer ask them what their other middle name is... it will confuse them and stop the hiccups.....and all you have to do is smile and say... You're Hiccups are GONE!!! and they will look at you like you are magic!!!!! it's priceless.

stefficus
18-01-2009, 13:52
it's good to know sex and coffee will cure anything that ails me.

...what? firemaiden said so! it can't hurt to try anyway. ;)

tarotlyn
18-01-2009, 14:01
...I like this one best...however...it doesn't always work:bugeyed::laugh:

8) for inability to leave the computer screen: slamming the lid down.

...yep...I just tried it again...and it didn't work...am still on here! lol :laugh:

Almost forgot:

1. itchy, scratchy, or sore throat:
sprinkle salt (only real sea salt) on your tongue a few times a day...
(best if you catch it early at first sign of a tickle)

2. For those that are allergic to mold:
put some Hydrogen peroxide 3% (the one you pour on cuts and it foams up)
onto a paper towel while around your index finger, then put it in your nose
and, holding the other nostril closed, breath in. If you get too much peroxide
on it, it will feel like it is burning your brain:bugeyed:...but it will keep you
from getting deathly ill from the mold...and it works EVERY time! (from experience)

...there are more...but all I can think of at the moment...
:):heart:tarotlyn

firemaiden
18-01-2009, 16:03
it's good to know sex and coffee will cure anything that ails me.

...what? firemaiden said so! it can't hurt to try anyway. ;)
Don't forget sleep!

HarmonyWind
19-01-2009, 03:30
How does one use the sage as a tooth cleaner/whitener? Make a paste with it by mixing it with baking soda, or chew the leaves, or prepare it in some other way?

LadyKathryn
20-01-2009, 20:24

Emma first i LOVE your name.. it's one of my favorites!

Second i believe i read that you are in your eighties? If that is so... weight loss is sooooooooooo hard.

I am a personal trainer, and while it's not impossible to loose weight once you hit 60... its soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much harder!

You need to keep your body guessing in regards to your workouts. switch it up.. use the eliptical...the treadmill and the bike all on different days. Also trying swimming laps if you can. it's low impact and great for all your joints...and allows for support in just about all ranges of motion.

Also you should be doing low weights until you are strong enough to do a slightly heavier weight. keep your reps to about 10.... joint wear and tear at your stage of life becomes a bigger issue... and it's easier to irritate your joints and cause dammage.

Also i HIGHLY reccomend STRETCHING!!! It helps you stay loose and keeps things flowing correctly...plus you just feel better after stretching... it's a mood booster....*i stretch my girlfriend out whenever she's in a crappy mood... wich is often... i call her my grumpy old man...anyway she's usually very tight and afterwards it helps her to feel more relaxed*

If you have any questions please feel free to PM... i'll do whatever i can..

LadyKathryn
20-01-2009, 20:27
i can't find liquid magnezium anywhere!!! :( and i'm too poor right now to order it online.

i'm trying pill form... will that work?

i also could only find 250 mg pills.. i just found 400mg online.

what is a safe dosage?

oh and i have been doing a lot of reading on mag.... it is used for bone loss prevention and helps gaurd against musle injuries... :) so even if my cough doesn't get better... i'm protecting myself as an athlete....sweet.

SerenityRider
26-01-2009, 13:36
When ever you feel run down and depleted i find taking a bath in a cup full of sea salt fixes me up it has a way of clearing your charkras, and i usually make it a pampering special time where i have candles in the back ground and my favorite music playing as well, you get out of the bath feeling wonderfully refreshed.
Mashed banana is great as a deep moisturizer leave it on for 15 min and then wash it off :) sounds crazy but it works.
For a exfoliate on your hands or feet a small hand full of sugar and add enough vegetable oil to just dampen the sugar and rub all over, then rinse off not only does it take off the dead skin but it leaves your skin soooooo soft afterward s. I did use it on my face once but it is to harsh i found.

LadyKathryn
27-01-2009, 01:22
[QUOTE=
For a exfoliate on your hands or feet a small hand full of sugar and add enough vegetable oil to just dampen the sugar and rub all over, then rinse off not only does it take off the dead skin but it leaves your skin soooooo soft afterward s. I did use it on my face once but it is to harsh i found.[/QUOTE]

Mix the sugar with WATER for your face... just enough to dampen it...but the water will start to disolve the sugar enough so it's not too harsh... rinse off with warm water.

sstack2
01-02-2009, 00:57
Ginger is aces for nausea. You can even just steep a medium-sized piece of ginger root in hot water, sweeten to taste (if needed) and sip it. You can buy ginger root from farmers markets, international markets (especially if you live in an area with a significant immigrant population) or maybe even Whole Foods and the like.

T.

Ginger is also great to stop a headache. When you feel one coming on, just eat a piece of crystalized ginger or have a cup of ginger tea.

I have GERD, gastroparesis, and esophageal spasms. A cup of ginger tea every day keeps it all under control. It also helps control blood pressure. Ginger is great stuff!

floracove
01-02-2009, 01:59
Oh, great thread!
Lots of good info here...

I found this the other day in my inbox and have been trying to figure out where to put here at AT. Looks like this is the place.

Bananas:

A professor at CCNY for a physiological psych class told his class about bananas. He said the expression 'going bananas' is from the effects of bananas on the brain. Read on:

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eati ng a banan a. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make officia l c laims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were help ed through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey.. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly succe ssful at reduci ng swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a 'cooling' fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magn esium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, 'A banana a day keeps the doctor away!'

PASS IT ON TO YOUR FRIENDS
PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe...polish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit !!!

Aloe vera is great and can help heal lots of things from burns to problem skin. The natural plant is the best, but those bottled products work as well.

Potatoes, can be scraped and put on burns to relieve the pain and help healing.

And you can use Sour Cream if you have no live culture yogurt to heal up from a yeast infection. (found this out on my own when there was no yogurt in the house, so it does work or at least it worked for me)

floracove
01-02-2009, 02:03
Hey Deb, bacon grease or any type of grease will kill the chiggers that are on you and make them stop itching.

You can also use clear nail polish to accomplish this as well, since this smothers them.

Chiggers are some of those creatures that help break down stuff so that it goes back into the earth, all they know is eat, eat, eat. So they do have a job to do, but they can do a job on you as well.

Silverlyn
01-02-2009, 02:49
My female tonic: for PMS/Cramps, hormone imbalances, Menopause symptoms, tension, nerves, etc...(PM me if you want more info on which one I use).

Safflower Oil: EXCELLENT for using on my legs immediately after shaving, to prevent me from itching them to bloody stumps, lol! Also great for putting a few drops on dry hair (ends or shaft). I also use it as a face moisturizer at night.

Jojoba Oil: EXCELLENT for dry hair, too!

Strong Probiotic: (I take one called Prodophilus. PM me if ya want info on it, too). I'm allergic to milk/dairy, and with this, I can now eat dairy here and there, not to mention it straightens out my digestive system, bladder, etc!

Soy Milk: ALSO incredible for tension, hormone imbalance, and insomnia! (yep, I drink a few gulps at bedtime, and I'm out)

Other remedies that help me:

Melatonin: (GODSEND for sleep and nighttension! Pair it with a bit of L-theanine and B6 for maximum absorption!). Schiff makes a really good one called 'Melatonin Plus' that would go to a deserted island with me!!!

Progesterone Cream: Also excellent for insomnia and night tension!!!

Magnesium: For those who can't find good Mag: Natural Calm makes good ones! Go to their website or any healthfood store. It's a powder and you mix it in hot water, works instantly for tension, insomnia, constipation, etc!

Tea Tree Oil: GREAT for many things.

Those are just a few great remedies I use and love.

Someone said to use peroxide on your toothbrush, do you use the one that comes in a dark brown bottle that you put on sores and cuts? Or must it food-grade? I need to whiten my teeth sooooo bad, and want natural ideas!!

Debra
01-02-2009, 04:06
Thanks for the chigger tips, Floracove!

Peroxide--it's just water with an extra oxygen molecule (H2O2 instead of H20). Don't swallow it and be cautious about using it in the mouth, as it burns tissue (that's why it stings when you put it on a cut). I dilute it for disinfecting.

floracove
01-02-2009, 04:16
You are welcome Debra.

Tea Tree Oil: GREAT for many things.

Oh my yes!

Unfortunately, down here is one of the worst places for head lice.
(Not being raised down here, I was 26 years old before I ever saw any of these bugger in the flesh.)

I went looking and found that the
http://headlice.org/

Recommends Tea Tree oil & Anise Oil as two of the best for killing lice and nits.
Anise is better for this than Tea Tree, but either will work.
They state I think 100% dead with Anise oil
80% dead with Tea Tree oil.

Lots of good info on that site.

mysticmanth
03-02-2009, 03:35
So what are your Top 5 Home Remedies that actually work and that you use on a regular basis?

For me-
1- Red Wine Vinegar actually cures hair loss. Well at least it does/ did for me.

2- Sage really does clean and whiten teeth.

3- Thyme gargle actually does soothe a sore throat.

4- Chamomile tea really does help me get to sleep when I'm having trouble.

5- Garlic really does shorten the duration of a cold (and the length of time people want to hang around you :D)

How do you use the sage to get whiter teeth? x

Silverlyn
05-02-2009, 09:17
Yes, I too am very interested in exactly how to whiten teeth using natural products such as Peroxide or Sage.

Please someone detail these uses? :D

Seafra
06-02-2009, 01:41
Found this online:

1. Mash up a few strawberries and use the berries as a toothpaste. The citric acid in the strawberries will help to rid your teeth of plaque and impurities, and the salicylate content in strawberries has an antibacterial effect as well. You can do this about every other day, and you should see results in about two weeks or so.
2. Crushed walnut keeps your teeth from yellowing as well, and is a natural tooth cleanser. Eating walnuts a few times a week will also help to keep your breath fresh. You may want to eat a cup of walnuts after brushing with your strawberry paste for a winning smile-and a healthy snack.
3. Once you've finished eating an orange, take the inside of the peel and rub it across your teeth. If you do this every day, you should see a definite difference in your teeth in about a week.
4. You can also try brushing your teeth with sage, a seasoning you should be able to find at most grocery stores. Right after brushing, you'll notice that your teeth have a certain sparkle to them. It may be a good idea to alternate brushing with sage with brushing with strawberry paste.

In addition to these cheap, healthy ways to whiten your teeth, you can also use baking soda and table salt mixed together for a bacteria free mouth and sparking teeth. You can also mix baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and let the mixture sit on your teeth for a few seconds before brushing it off.

Also read that the inside of banana peels whiten teeth -- rub for two minutes before brushing.

Thanks to whomever started this teeth whitening thing. Gonna try these.

Silverlyn
06-02-2009, 01:55
Wow thanks for these natural whitening tips! I have such yellow teeth due to drinking coffee, etc.. and I need something that works fast, I'm gonna try the baking soda and salt combo as well as the baking soda and peroxide combo asap!:)

SherryZoned
06-02-2009, 02:25
Raspberry! The tea or I actually take the pills. This helps if you are female for all sorts of problems. What I use it for is for that special time of month where you are cramping. This takes away the cramps better then any pain reliever. Also I just heard on the news that if you are pregnant and take raspberry pills it helps with morning sickness (however check with your OB on that to make sure it is safe)

Red Emma
06-02-2009, 04:04
Uumm, as a dentist's wife, could I suggest that if you use salt and baking soda for teeth cleaning, don't forget to add something with flouride to keep them as cavity free as possible.

LeaRoseQuartz
06-02-2009, 08:38
Hi! I recently heard that fluoride is very bad for you. I couldn't remember where I heard it, so I looked it up on the search engine. I typed in "fluoride is bad for you" and found lots of sites about it. Some doctors even had a site. Fluoride is a toxic substance. I read that it actually causes teeth to erode and crumble. Also, it dosen"t prevent cavities, only brushing prevents them. There are non-fluoride toothpastes in stores, such as wal-mart. I"ve been using "Tom"s of Maine" for awhile. It works fine and has a nice peppermint taste. City and town water often has fluoride in it. Plus, so much other stuff. Our's also has lots of clorine in it. I buy bottled water. I give it to my cats, also. Tylenol, is bad for you, too. It causes liver damage and even more so, if you drink alcohol. I can"t believe there's a commercial on t.v. that say's to buy it and that it's made with love! How horrible! Companies don"t care what they are selling you. Just, so they get rich. Slowly, people are finding out that mass produced, so called safe products are actually very bad for you. Look at how they are taking trans-fat out of food. Also, monosodium glutomate is in alot of foods. It is a type of salt that is very eroding to arteries. I always check labels. Regular table salt isn't the same thing, but you should not use alot of it. Well, I could go on and on! Natural is the way to go, because we are natural!

LeaRoseQuartz
06-02-2009, 08:48
I wanted to add that gargling and rinsing out your mouth with salt won"t hurt you. It's actually good for it. You just shouldn"t use alot on your food.

Seafra
06-02-2009, 09:53
Haven't seen anyone mention using a neti pot. All the stuff about salt made me think of it. Neti Pots irrigate your sinus -- haven't had a sinus headache since I started using one about a year ago and I have a long history of sinus problems. The practice of nasal cleansing has been used by practitioners of Ayurveda and Yoga for thousands of years. Neti is one of the 6 purification techniques performed prior to practicing yoga as a way of preparing the body for the yoga practice. It is said to clean the Third Eye.

It is an odd thing to think about doing. A neti pot (like a tiny watering can) is filled with warm, slightly salted water and the spout of the pot is inserted into one nostril. The position of the head and pot are adjusted to allow the water to flow out of the other nostril. The technique is not as uncomfortable or difficult as it sounds. There are 'how to' vids on youtube. I bought my pot with a few packets of irrigation solution for about $14.

To make your own irrigation solution, mix a heaping 1/4 tsp of finely ground non-iodized salt or a slightly rounded 1/2 tsp of coarsely ground salt in the neti pot with 8 oz of warm water until the salt is completely dissolved.

tarotlyn
08-02-2009, 13:51
...Has anyone tired this one yet?
(someone just emailed this to me)

VICKS VAPO RUB INTERESTING

During a lecture on Essential Oils, they told us how the foot
soles can absorb oils. Their example: Putgarlic on your feet and within 20
minutes you can 'taste' it.

Some of us have used Vicks Vapor rub for years for everything from chapped
lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of
this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time, although the scientists who
discovered it aren't sure why. To stop night time coughing in a child (or adult
as we found out personally), put Vicks Vapor rub generously on the bottom
of the feet at bedtime, then cover with socks. E ven persistent, heavy, deep
coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours
of relief. Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even
very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing
and comforting and they will sleep soundly..

Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about
why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good, due to the
chemical makeup of these strong drugs so, I listened. It was a surprise
finding and found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children
at bedtime, in addition to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children
who then went on to sleep soundly.

My wife tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent
cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm
blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes and believe
me, this was a deep, ( incredibly annoying!) every few seconds uncontrollable
cough, and she slept cough-free for hours every night that she used it.

If you have grandchildren, pass this on. If you end up sick, try it yourself and
you will be absolutely amazed at how it works.
...hmmmm...if I start coughing..will have to try this...

...any luck with this one? ...anyone?

SherryZoned
08-02-2009, 14:48
I have 3 kids and no one coughing of course when I have something to try on them!! I hate using cough medicines when they are sick so I will definitely try it out....

SherryZoned
08-02-2009, 15:01
Just read through the whole thread.

EMDR--I did that in a session when my husband and I were attempting to work on our marriage. I really liked it however we had to stop the counseling and yeah marriage done.

Fish oil is great for depression. Helps even out your mood. My sister and I also find taking a b complex vitamin also helps with energy and mood.

I also would suggest a homepathic doctor for what ails you. Specifically I did this for my son who is now 9 that was diagnosed for bipolar disorder. Well I did not like the idea of medication at his age so I took him to a homepathic doctor. That worked wonders. I also give him fish oil, multivitamins and of course a healthy diet.

sstack2
09-02-2009, 01:20
Haven't seen anyone mention using a neti pot. All the stuff about salt made me think of it. Neti Pots irrigate your sinus -- haven't had a sinus headache since I started using one about a year ago and I have a long history of sinus problems. The practice of nasal cleansing has been used by practitioners of Ayurveda and Yoga for thousands of years. Neti is one of the 6 purification techniques performed prior to practicing yoga as a way of preparing the body for the yoga practice. It is said to clean the Third Eye.

It is an odd thing to think about doing. A neti pot (like a tiny watering can) is filled with warm, slightly salted water and the spout of the pot is inserted into one nostril. The position of the head and pot are adjusted to allow the water to flow out of the other nostril. The technique is not as uncomfortable or difficult as it sounds. There are 'how to' vids on youtube. I bought my pot with a few packets of irrigation solution for about $14.

To make your own irrigation solution, mix a heaping 1/4 tsp of finely ground non-iodized salt or a slightly rounded 1/2 tsp of coarsely ground salt in the neti pot with 8 oz of warm water until the salt is completely dissolved.

Yes, I've used a neti pot. I'm so glad you mentioned it, because I have forgotten all about it. I will surely dig it out and put it to use again.

enchanted spirit
09-02-2009, 06:34
This thread is *great*! I just found it today and have got some great information!

Neti pot - been there done that, for some reason I always get water in my ears and the popping and gurgling drives me crazy. Any suggestions for that? I have been congested for months now and I don't know why. And my dr won't help. Wah!

I also have home "remedies" but more for your home than your body. Well, sort of. Several years ago I developed chemical sensitivies and most fragranced products give me migraines. Not fun! That includes cleaners, so I clean my house almost totally with Dawn soap, vinegar, and baking soda. It works! Vinegar is a natural disenfectant, and baking soda will scrub away almost anything, and well, soap is soap. LOL Sometimes I will use those Mr. Clean erasers (no smell!) but otherwise my cleaning products are almost all natural now. It saves me a bundle of money, my house is clean, and no chemical smells. Now, the vinegar smell can be a bit much but it dissapears quickly.

SherryZoned
09-02-2009, 09:45
This thread is *great*! I just found it today and have got some great information!

Neti pot - been there done that, for some reason I always get water in my ears and the popping and gurgling drives me crazy. Any suggestions for that? I have been congested for months now and I don't know why. And my dr won't help. Wah!

I also have home "remedies" but more for your home than your body. Well, sort of. Several years ago I developed chemical sensitivies and most fragranced products give me migraines. Not fun! That includes cleaners, so I clean my house almost totally with Dawn soap, vinegar, and baking soda. It works! Vinegar is a natural disenfectant, and baking soda will scrub away almost anything, and well, soap is soap. LOL Sometimes I will use those Mr. Clean erasers (no smell!) but otherwise my cleaning products are almost all natural now. It saves me a bundle of money, my house is clean, and no chemical smells. Now, the vinegar smell can be a bit much but it dissapears quickly.

I also do that and the vinegar smell does disappear quickly. However, to my mixture I ad a tablespoon or so of lemon juice to cut the vinegar smell a bit more.

Silverlyn
09-02-2009, 13:48
Interesting about how Vicks Vapo Rub will help stop coughing when applied to the soles of the feet. I'm gonna have to try that. Do you know if it'll help COPD/Emphysema/Smoker's cough? Perhaps my mil should try it....

Also: Did you know that vicks vapo rub put on toenails with fungus it will help clear it up? (CAUTION: The toenails WILL turn BLACK as a result then fall off, then the new toenail will grow in clear as a bell! I think it helps with fingernails, too!).

LOVE this thread, keep the good tips comin'!!

tarotlyn
09-02-2009, 20:26
...to add to the "vinegar" ideas:

...not exactly a health remedy..but it works for this:

Every now and then, a little Chihuahua will have a small accident on the rug...
(by having their b_tt misplaced too far off from the edge of the pee pee paper..lol )
I have watched them do this and it is so funny, because they think they did it right! lol :laugh: ...
...after all their feet were on the pee pee paper...right?
...so glad it doesn't happen often:bugeyed:

I keep "apple cider vinegar" in a spray bottle and just spray the spot and it
takes the ordor away and "no spot is left" when it dries...and it dries very fast too.
It only smells for a very short time, then "any" ordor is completely gone!
I have tried "white" vinegar and it doesn't work the same:bugeyed:

I bought a gallon of it from the corner store for about $6. - lasts forever.

Alta
09-02-2009, 22:10
I put 1/4 cup vinegar in the regular wash. It'll take every trace of odour out! especially towels which tend to get a bit off over time.

Stormdancer
09-02-2009, 23:06
I have 3 kids and no one coughing of course when I have something to try on them!! I hate using cough medicines when they are sick so I will definitely try it out....

LOL...I got this same e-mail and my naughty opporsitional teen had a cough. I tried and TRIED to get him to do it but to no avail...LOL...guess I'll just have to wait for one of the younger ones to get the inevitable cold.

Stormdancer

Stormdancer
09-02-2009, 23:08
I think I've found a cure for hiccups....an accupressure technique i think.

put your index fingers into your ears and hold them in there tight for at least 30 seconds. So far it's worked for a co-worker and my middle son...impressing both of them...LOL

Stormdancer

Stormdancer
09-02-2009, 23:09
My middle son has dandruff....bad flakiness. Dr's have recommended t'gel and the like shampoos but they arent working. I tried to get him to rinse with vinegar, but he says he smelled like a salad all day and wont try it again. Does anyone have any ideas that a 13 yr old might put up with??

Stormdancer

floracove
09-02-2009, 23:45
A teaspoon full of sugar can make the hiccups go away as well, works every time for us. However, do try to swallow it without swishing it around in your mouth until it is a liquid. I think that the dryer you can stand to swallow it helps in someway, because of the grit.
Just don't get choked on it...

floracove
09-02-2009, 23:47
Stormdancer, you might try adding some tea tree oil to the shampoo that he already uses, just make sure he shakes it up before use. Of course, you would shake it up when putting the tea tree oil into the shampoo.

Tea tree oil is good for lots of things, so it may help with dandruff.

My middle son has dandruff....bad flakiness. Dr's have recommended t'gel and the like shampoos but they arent working. I tried to get him to rinse with vinegar, but he says he smelled like a salad all day and wont try it again. Does anyone have any ideas that a 13 yr old might put up with??

Stormdancer

Seafra
10-02-2009, 00:41
My middle son has dandruff....bad flakiness. Dr's have recommended t'gel and the like shampoos but they arent working. I tried to get him to rinse with vinegar, but he says he smelled like a salad all day and wont try it again. Does anyone have any ideas that a 13 yr old might put up with?? Stormdancer

My 14-yo son had a few odd patches of dandruff. Don't know if it will help you but I made a paste out of crushed aspirin and applied it every 2nd or 3rd day before bedtime as he would allow. Wash it out or brush it out with a soft bristle brush in the morning. He also uses a dab of this paste at night when a blemish starts to appear. Crushed aspirin paste gets used quite a bit around here -- daughter and I use it as a facial mask; cured her sebaceous acne and my rosacea.

Teatree oil works for dandruff too, but he won't like that smell either. Pine Tar shampoo is what Edgar Cayce recommended.

SherryZoned
10-02-2009, 03:30
When my son gets dandruff or the husband. I have them wash there hair with baking soda to really scrub it in..then put olive oil on their scalp to soak. However they both keep their heads shaved. If not completely shaved then very short..

Red Emma
10-02-2009, 05:01
About hiccups.

Get a glass of water, then holding your breath, drink it down. It always works for me.

ann823
14-02-2009, 00:19
For a cough that "tickles" and keeps you awake at night take a cloth, dip it in very cold water and lay it on your throat. Cover with a dry towel to protect the sheets. It will get warm but will still stop the tickle after a few minutes. I have taken to spraying once or twice with chloraseptic to help until the cold cloth effect kicks in.

Ann

sstack2
14-02-2009, 03:36
A teaspoon full of sugar can make the hiccups go away as well, works every time for us. However, do try to swallow it without swishing it around in your mouth until it is a liquid. I think that the dryer you can stand to swallow it helps in someway, because of the grit.
Just don't get choked on it...

The whole key to curing hiccups is to concentrate on something else.

My Dad used to make me see how close I can get my pinkie fingers together
without touching. With elbows extended, I wasn't allowed to support or
steady my arms, elbows or hands. No matter how close I'd get them, he'd
say, "Aw, come one. You can get them closer than that." He wouldn't let
me stop trying until he noticed my hiccups were gone. Works every time.

The mind is a powerful thing!

entropy
17-02-2009, 12:39
Anyone with recommendations for getting rid of a cold sore?

thorhammer
17-02-2009, 13:07
Tea tree oil. Taste like crap, though, and methinks is possibly low-level poisonous :D so don't use it on sores inside the mouth. Only outside.

\m/ Kat

morticia monroe
17-02-2009, 13:46

My daughter used to get them. Garlic will do it. I buy the minced garlic in a jar that has all the juice and she just dips her finger in and rubs it on a few times a day and right before bed. It clears it right up.

AngelDancer
22-02-2009, 08:26
1. Citronella is wonderful! It's not only a great bug repellent, but it gives you a proper boost - much more efficient than coffee and none of the side effects! I've started using a few drops in hot water when I mop the floors too, but then I just love the smell... not everybody does! For a quick mental/physical boost, try mixing a few drops with a neutral base oil and rub into the skin on your wrists.

2. The best ever migrain remedy: Go for a run as soon as the first symptoms set in!!! I know, it's probably the last thing you'll feel like doing but I tried this after reading about it in a Swedish health magazine and it WORKS!!! Apparently research has been done to confirm it.

3. Sinusitis clears up quickly with a gem stone elixir made from flourite. Just soak a piece of flourite for a minimum of 15 minutes in regular tap water and drink the water. Keep drinking and make sure you have at least 8 glasses per day until the cold is gone.

4. Have a hot date but can't quite get in the right mood? Try a few drops of Patchouli essential oil in your bath. Just try it... go on! You'll know what I mean once you've tried it... ;)

5. Have a job that needs to get done, but can't quite find the energy or motivation? Wear red! If you're like me, you might not naturally tend to wear a lot of red, but I bought a get-the-job-done red top and it works. For me it has the added bonus of facilitating change as it's not one of my comfort zone colours.

einhverfr
22-02-2009, 10:38
For a cough:

Take 2 tablespoons of mullein (v. thapsis) leaf and a bit of honey. Steep, covered, in 1 pt of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drink as needed.

For a cold:

Bring a pint of water to a low simmer. Add 2T honey, a good spoonful of ceyenne, and a fair bit of ginger. Simmer slowly, and add tumeric slowly until the color shifts from bright red to a reddish orange.

Sip 1T as needed, up to 4 times a day until the cold is gone.

Supplementary remedies for a cold:
1) Only drink hot (boiled) water.
2) Restrict dairy products except for butter in one's diet.

For insomnia:
1) Simmer milk with valerian root and sugar
2) Lavender tea

For an asthma attack (note: don't use this unless you know what you are doing),
cigars made of mullein leaves, smoked

Lucetta
13-03-2009, 09:34
I use two remedies on an almost daily basis.

I drink a cup of chamomile tea mixed with valerian before bedtime - it helps put me in a relaxing mood and susceptible to slumber.

I also like to drink peppermint tea (sometimes mixed with fennel) after eating. I find that it not only soothes my stomach, but also gets rid of any taste of the previous meal.

When I have sore throat, I like to drink tea (usually peppermint again) mixed with honey. It definitely helps!

crystalflame
25-03-2009, 00:20
Mint tea is definitely my favorite. I always prefer it over chamomile tea, but this is a personal choice, of course.

BlueBird5
25-03-2009, 00:43
This is another version of Colds/Cough remedy and it very effective... :)

- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Vinegar

Mix them together. Take 1 tsp of mixture every 3 hours.

Also, I am not if everyone have heard about Wheatgrass...

Proponents of wheatgrass claim regular ingestion of the plant can :
- improve the digestive system
- prevent diabetes and heart disease
- cure constipation
- detoxify heavy metals from the bloodstream
- help make menopause more manageable
- promote general well-being.

Link ==> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatgrass

This has been tested and I do take them and its very effective. This also helps reduce weight and I cut down about 15 pounds.

It comes in 3 forms...
- the fresh grass which you need to extract the juice
- tablet
- powder

* Power & tablet can be purchased from Vitamins Shoppe.

tmgrl2
25-03-2009, 01:00
Great thread!

May be some repeats...read all the great suggestions. I am allergic to Aloe Vera, at least the pure stuff.

I use neti-pot...mostly when I am stuffed. This week it cleared out a large blockage in the upper sinuses that was still viral....

Tea-tree oil...put it on small sores...(never in mouth, in nose, or near eyes).

If I get oil glands dripping on eye-lids, doc told me to soak with warm washcloth twice daily, then wash eyelids with babyshampoo...clears it up quickly.

I use Bag Balm ...used to be for cows udders, infections...people use it for diaper rash. We used it for Tony, and he had not one bed sore in whole time he was bedbound at home.

I use little bit of vaseline/petroleum jelly in my home in winter, when gets dry and the little vessels bleed. This triggers the need for humidity so I run a whole house cold water humidifier all winter. (Had to chage filter six times this winter). I run it to keep humidity levels between 30 and 50 per cent for my piano. Pianos go out of tune with humidity changes and 42% is ideal. Can even bring piano back to tune.

I eat yogurt at least 5 days a week, grind my own flaxseeds and add them to anything.

I take a gram of fish oil daily.

I use Co-Q10 because my lipid medication leaches CoQ10 from the body.

When I get bronchitis ( I also have asthma) I rub Vicks all over chest on bronchial areas and cover with a dry flannel cloth. I do this at bedtime. I also put Vicks right under my nose at bedtime.

I use saline sprays periodically during winter especially.

I don't use any strong soaps on my body more than once weekly. I exfoliate once weekly. I use baby soaps mostly.

I probably have more but can't remember!

My mom swore by apple cider vinegar and honey stirred in water every day.

She lived to 101. She also didn't use any heavy soaps on her body for cleansing...

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize skin, body and face.

Thanks, everyone!!

terri

Tansey Ella
25-03-2009, 01:53
QUOTE FROM ABOVE POST
"When I get bronchitis ( I also have asthma) I rub Vicks all over chest on bronchial areas and cover with a dry flannel cloth. I do this at bedtime. I also put Vicks right under my nose at bedtime"

My mom had me to that. It works. I have even swallowed vicks, so i guess it won't kill you. :)
I have used baking soda and either baby lotion or some water based cleanser mixed together as a scrub .It works as well or better than most.

". The best ever migrain remedy: Go for a run as soon as the first symptoms set in!!! I know, it's probably the last thing you'll feel like doing but I tried this after reading about it in a Swedish health magazine and it WORKS!!! Apparently research has been done to confirm it."

I have had migraines for many years. I see a doc of course and usually use immitrex nasal spray. However, it does not do it all. I have found it I take a ibuprofen and a fluid pill at the beginning of the migraine, it knocks it out pretty quick. I believe the brain swells a tiny bit and the ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory and the fluid pill will decrease the swelling. It works for me anyhow.

Silverlyn
25-03-2009, 02:04
For even moods and hormones:

I take one Krill Oil (by Mega Red, AWESOME for higher amounts of Omega's, ya only need one and they're small softgels!)

With one Lithium Orotate (it is a Mineral and is for depression, mood swings, hormone swings/imbalances,etc and it WORKS!)

With one capful of Acai liquid

every morning and I'm good to go:)

You can find Lithium Orotate at healthfood stores (or PM me on where I
get mine). And it's CHEAP, which I like!

For moisturizing my face/body: I use Kiss My Face Olive and Aloe Lotion for Sensitive skin (or Vaseline Intensive Total Moisture, but this one's not 'natural). I'm sensitive to fragrances and chemicals in a lot of products, but these two I can use with no problems.

Whoever said: Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize, is RIGHT! And do your neck and outside of your ears, too!

To help combat Dark Cirlces:

I'm taking Vitamin K2, and it works! Google it, you'll find one of the causes is lack of Vit K, and most of the dark circle creams have Vit K in them...sometimes I'll make a paste of the contents of the capsule and place dabs directly on my Circles for extra help.

BlueBird5
25-03-2009, 03:06
How true is the hype about Acai products? it was featured in Oprah...

Silverlyn
25-03-2009, 04:07
How true is the hype about Acai products? it was featured in Oprah...

Well it depends on what you want to use it for.

It's been touted on the web and TV, etc for weightloss as one of it's benefits: I don't need to lose weight, so for weightloss,
I don't know if it helps that or not. (Probably not).

For other health benefits: says it's high in antioxidants, Omega 3's, etc:

But I basically like it for its taste and I do believe it may be better than drinking say, grape juice.

Yet, not sure if it's really any better for you (healthwise) than simply grape juice would be.

I just liken it to drinking juice's benefits, and nothing more.

(I also like Elderberry Concentrate or juice for its benefits, too).

tmgrl2
26-03-2009, 11:27
Don't remember if I mentioned..

Oil of Eucalyptus..just a few drops in laundry loads...kills dust mites. I use it always for my towels and linens.

terri

Red Emma
27-03-2009, 07:47
Glad to hear about dust mites and eucalyptus. One of my sons has to stay in a motel when he visits us because of the mite problem.

Thanks,

Emma

tmgrl2
27-03-2009, 09:54
Glad to hear about dust mites and eucalyptus. One of my sons has to stay in a motel when he visits us because of the mite problem.

Thanks,

Emma

I think it really helps! I have asthma and allergies and haven't been plagued as badly since I do my linens with eucalyptus oil..few drops.

Hope it works.

Many of my friends have cats and dogs who shed...I would have to stay in a motel because of that!

terri

Sophie
27-03-2009, 21:59
This is a great one, if you have a fireplace or a barbecue.

Using wood ash - you need to sift it to get the grit out - and a bowl of water, dip a rag in the water, then smother it in ash. You can use that mix to clean silver, brass, copper, vitroceramic, glass and in fact most of that kind of glass or metal surface. Wear rubber cloves as the mix is toxic. It might take some rubbing but the results are better than anything I've seen, it's cleaner than commercial products and of course, it costs nothing if you happen to have ash. Once the area is clean, wipe it down with a damp cloth, then polish it with a soft clean polishing cloth. Ta-da! Sparkling!

tmgrl2
28-03-2009, 09:42
My jeweler recently suggested I clean my silver jewelry with baking soda and water mixed to a mush. I use an old toothbrush to brush it a bit..and rinse.

Works pretty well for a quick clean.

terri

Seafra
16-04-2009, 15:41
NYT article about neti pot use that a friend sent to thank me for suggesting he use one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/14/health/14real.html?_r=1&em

Clover329
25-04-2009, 02:02
I have these little red bumps all over my arms. I've had them for as long as I can remember. I don't know if it's excema or rosacea or anything like that as I've never had a dr look at them or anything. But I was wondering how I can get rid of them. They usually are more prominent in the winter though they stick around all year long. Could a remedy as simple as lotion or keeping well hydrated work? Or is there an essential oil treatment I can use?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Clover

Tansey Ella
25-04-2009, 05:35
Try either a benzol peroxide bath wash or a salicylic acid body wash. I use Walgreen knock of T Sal for a body wash. I have also just purchased Benzol peroxide for $1 at the dollar store and applied it to the bumps. I have rosacea and it can be really hard to work with. I find the body washes work the best. You can purchase a shampoo with the same ingredients and use it instead of a body wash. works for me.

Clover329
26-04-2009, 08:59
Try either a benzol peroxide bath wash or a salicylic acid body wash. I use Walgreen knock of T Sal for a body wash. I have also just purchased Benzol peroxide for $1 at the dollar store and applied it to the bumps. I have rosacea and it can be really hard to work with. I find the body washes work the best. You can purchase a shampoo with the same ingredients and use it instead of a body wash. works for me.

Thanks Tansey. I'll give it a try. I just scrubbed my arms using an exfoliating sugar based scrub and it seemed to work ok, but only diminished the look and soften them a bit.

Thanks again!
Clover

Gennai
08-05-2009, 00:06
I've learnt a few things while reading the posts, will try the Vit K for dark circles....

Angel Dancer said "Have a job that needs to get done, but can't quite find the energy or motivation? Wear red! If you're like me, you might not naturally tend to wear a lot of red, but I bought a get-the-job-done red top and it works. For me it has the added bonus of facilitating change as it's not one of my comfort zone colours"

I heard this on the tv, about wearing red particularly near your base chakra, ie undies... to attract love and romance into your life. Supposed to have instant effects!

Ice Madrox
21-06-2009, 18:30
I like making a face scrub out of honey and demerara sugar. It's like a dryer, larger brown sugar crystal. I use it in the shower and it exfoliates nicely, with the honey acting as a moisturizer.
I also like using plain toothpaste (paste, NOT gel!) on the occasional blemish. A little dab before bedtime and it's usually clear by morning.

mysticmanth
07-07-2009, 01:39
I like making a face scrub out of honey and demerara sugar. It's like a dryer, larger brown sugar crystal. I use it in the shower and it exfoliates nicely, with the honey acting as a moisturizer.
I also like using plain toothpaste (paste, NOT gel!) on the occasional blemish. A little dab before bedtime and it's usually clear by morning.

Can you tell me the method on how to make this, Sounds just like what i need :) x

Scorpio Kitten
22-07-2009, 11:56
As part of my morning and evening routines I use tea tree oil on a dampened cotton ball on my face for the treatment & prevention of acne breakouts. Of all the treatments I've ever used it's proven the most effective.

I guzzle green tea and take vitamin C whenever I feel a cold coming on. It always wards them off.

Eucalyptus oil for helping to clear the sinuses. I pretty much just sniff the bottle and it opens them right up!

Tobacco on bee/wasp stings. It absorbs the poison and kills the pain almost instantly. I got this one from my Grandma, who always used to break open a cigarette when I got stung. It sounds weird but it really works!

Lavender oil for sleep relaxation. Pretty common, but I use it all the time so I thought I'd share anyway!

Ice Madrox
22-07-2009, 12:38
Can you tell me the method on how to make this, Sounds just like what i need :) x

I just take a little 2 oz. jar (you can usually find them at like... a beauty supply store) and mix it in there. It isn't very difficult at all. I pour in the sugar first and then eyeball it with the honey. As long as the sugar is covered in honey, it shouldn't be too rough to agitate your skin. You can mix it as you'd like... add more honey to make it more liquid-y or add less to have the sugar crystals kick it up a notch with the exfoliating when skin gets naughty. It's really easy and fool-proof!
My one friend even likes to goop it on as a mask, sit with it on for about 10-15 minutes, and then just scrub it off. I can't do that because my house is kinda hot, and it ends up kinda melting/running off of my face. Not pretty! lol
I just use it in the shower. Grab a finger full or two, and scrub away! :)

druidicseer
28-10-2009, 04:00
interesting tip:
back in the old days maidens used to take thew leavfes from strawberrys and make it into a tea ; washing there face with it to get rid of oily skin. they woulod use the berrys to get rid of freckles

druidicseer
28-10-2009, 04:02
Lavender oil for sleep relaxation. Pretty common, but I use it all the time so I thought I'd share anyway![/QUOTE]

also you can use lavender oil to condition oily hair and it actually kills lice!!!

merissa_88
28-10-2009, 09:00
Floracove, I forgot about Aloe Vera. My partner used to grow it as a house plant. It was great for all burns, including sunburn.

My new thing is cinnamon stick tea. It really does keep away the flu or colds.

druidicseer
29-10-2009, 04:04
you know what else is great for flus and colds?? ginger! it viciously fights off the virus! also sage is good for sore throats.

sore throat gargle(not exactly tasty but it works)
combine:
1 cup of apple cider vineger
1 cup strong(like triple strength) sage tea
2 to 3 teaspoons of salt
pinch of cayenne

gargle freqeuntly throughout the day

tarotlyn
29-10-2009, 08:45
:heart:For the flu as well as other sicknesses:

Get some Vitamin D3 (1,000 mgs if you can find it) (also in "gel" capsules)
and take 3 per day (if you have the flu)...you will probably find, as I did, that
you will feel so much better within a couple of days! It really works!!!

I had read somewhere online (can't remember where now :bugeyed: ) that
Vitamin D3 worked better than a flu shot. So I tried it, and it is true.

I also read (in same article) that we don't get enough Vit D3 from the sun or food.

I am sure there will be someone that "knows it all" and will have something different
to say about my posted info...but it still worked for me and others I know!

Dancing Bear
29-10-2009, 09:36
They say a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar.. in a cup of water..
taken every morning before anything else.. helps your overall health and well being..

I dont do it myself. But my gran does and has done for years..she is 81 and is so healthy, hardly ever gets any cold or anything and she is defiantely swithced on even if she is stuck on the 1950's or earlier track LOL! but she is all there.. so i guess it does work.

tarotlyn
29-10-2009, 09:58
:heart: I may have posted this once before:

For sore throats:

...just sprinkle a little bit of real sea salt on your tongue and let it dissolve.
Wait at least 15 minutes before drinking or eating anything.

It works great. Real sea salt didn't affect my blood pressure.
You can do this 3 to 4 times per day...but it is best when you do this at the
FIRST sign of a tickle or scratchy feeling in your throat.

dimwem
29-10-2009, 10:18
If the only symptom is a dry/scratchy throat or dry cough I always recommend a humidifier. Even in the rainy late autumn the air can get dry in your home. If you want to make a difference without spending $50 USD on something you will only use for 3 months, I found something that helps for small spaces. My college roommate and I set a large electric kettle full of water on low whenever one of us was in the room awake. It kept the air nice and moist all winter long.

My favorite cure-all is telling my kids, "Yes, this is medicine and you will get better." It might be hot tea with honey or lemon juice and vinegar but it always works on those iffy illnesses that may or may not really exist.

Filipa
29-10-2009, 12:57
the best thing for flu?
Echinacea tea!

read here (http://www.teabenefits.com/herbal-tea-benefits/echinacea-tea-benefits.html)

Tansey Ella
03-11-2009, 01:35
re: the small bumps on skin and other type problems
I really have had no luck except with that TSal from Walgreen. They make a knock off version so I get a big bottle and use it as bath wash. Has totally cleared up my back.
also, the best face scrub I have ever used is baking soda and baby lotion. I just buy the cheapest of each, or use ceteaphil instead of baby lotion. It is very gentle but be sure and rinse well. I find that the sugar scrubs are just too rough for my English/Irish skin.
Another thing that you can try is jojoba oil. I have read many people use it for skin problems and it seems to really clear the skin. It relieves dryness but does not clog the pores.
I have struggled all my life with sensitive skin that tears easily and scars easily and breaks out and at my advanced age still have oily skin. I have rosacea and that has been a battle. I have found little to help it except the antibiotics. One thing I have found for sure is I can't use any retinol products on my face due to the rosacea.

lol read over this thread for tips and loved the one about slamming the lid of the computer to stop spending too much time online.
Another one- to stop buying too many tarot decks, CHECK YOUR BANK ACCOUNT.
BTW
I wanted to mention again about Green Apple Body Spray. I swear that if your headache is not of major migraine proportions that a spray of this stuff on your shoulders etc ( where you can get a good whif of it) will help that headache. plus if you will smell nice.

entropy
04-12-2009, 01:06
Here's an odd one... if you have a skin tag or a raised mole that you want to remove, have someone help you tie one of your hairs around it tightly, then cover it with a round bandaid. I had one on my thigh that was kind of big for a mole. It took a couple of times tying hair around it progressively tighter and then re-covering it with the bandaid, but I pulled the last bandaid and hair off this morning. The skin under where it used to be is a little red, but it's gone. It's actually pretty cool in that same disgusting way that popping a zit is facinating. It took around a week and didn't hurt as much as stitches would have.

So there you go. More than anyone wanted to know about my thigh.

creakingcricket
16-12-2009, 08:29
Garlic is good for respiratory infections and other conditions, but for many it can be a serious stomach and intestinal irritant, apparently caused by oil in the garlic clove. These bad side-effects may be avoided by discarding the clove and using only the sprout, now available in the northern hemisphere for those who grow their own garlic. I use sprouts of elephant garlic about six inches long.

2 stalks of celery
several potatoes
4 garlic sprouts
pat of butter
cheese, 3 tablespoons

Dice. Put celery on first, as it takes longer to cook. When about done, add cheese and stir until dissolved. Add salt (if wanted) at table. Makes three good servings.

celticnoodle
16-12-2009, 10:56
They say a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar.. in a cup of water..
taken every morning before anything else.. helps your overall health and well being..

I dont do it myself. But my gran does and has done for years..she is 81 and is so healthy, hardly ever gets any cold or anything and she is defiantely swithced on even if she is stuck on the 1950's or earlier track LOL! but she is all there.. so i guess it does work.this is true!!! I can recall when I worked with senior citizens, making a home visit to one couples home. The woman who answered the door, I thought was their daughter. turns out, she was NOT the daughter - nor even a relative--just someone who came by to help them - and WAS (if i recall correctly) about 10yrs. older!!! but she sure as heck looked 20yrs. younger. I asked her secret-and she told me she did this same thing--and had never been sick a day in her life!

now, I went home all set to try this miracle myself. but, be warned--it's really bad tasting! however, I do recall that you can achieve the same result by having the same amount of apple cider vinegar on anything edible-salads, ect. it's really tasty on apple wedges and cheese too! :) that I can handle!

Stormdancer
16-12-2009, 12:09
OOOh..and I really do kinda like the apple cider vinegar in water taste. Probably explains why I like dry red wine as well :D

celticnoodle
16-12-2009, 12:39
Try either a benzol peroxide bath wash or a salicylic acid body wash. I use Walgreen knock of T Sal for a body wash. I have also just purchased Benzol peroxide for $1 at the dollar store and applied it to the bumps. I have rosacea and it can be really hard to work with. I find the body washes work the best. You can purchase a shampoo with the same ingredients and use it instead of a body wash. works for me.oh thank you, tansey!!! I also have rosacea and have a prescribed gel, "metrogel" that I use when I have a breakout. I don't like it, as it really drys out my already very dry skin, but what can one do? plus it's EXPENSIVE stuff! I'm going to try this! as soon as I can get to walmart again!

Ethereal_Phoenix
19-12-2009, 03:56
For a flu-like sickness or cold: Garlic on Toast! It really works!
I also like to soak a washed Quartz Crystal that has been charged with healing properties in a glass of water. I usually charge the crystal in the moon and soak it in the sun, for balance.
This I buy so it's always in my house, White Willow Bark Extract...I put Fifty drops into a glass of water and I swear on my life it works ten times better than Tylenol or Advil!

OmSeaweed
17-03-2010, 12:17
Egg white facial--Separate your white from the yolk (set yolk aside to cook up for yourself or the dog, lol.) Whip whites into a light froth (you can skip this step, but it's an *awfully* slimy mess trying it au natural,) then apply to skin. Wait until the egg white mask dries completely, then rinse off and wash face. The result--tighter skin/pores and cleaner pores, too.

For a quick, moisturizing hand treatment--Mix equal parts of sugar and cooking oil together, set the mix aside and give them about a 1/2 hr. to really combine, then lightly scrub hands with the mix. Finish with washing hands (the oil, I like olive oil for this, stays in the skin and really deep moisturizes.) A ratio of 2 oz: 2 oz mix usually lasts a week if kept in the fridge.

For *really* tatty nerves you could try this combo: 3 St. John's Wort capsules, 3 B-12 sub-lingual "buttons" and 4 Celestial Seasonings "Tension Tamer" tea bags made up as a regular single cup of tea with a *healthy* dose of good honey (to help offset the mucky flavor of the tea.) Repeat as necessary : ) ... of course, I'm not a dr. and don't give medical advice, so you might want to consult with your physician(s) first.

Aliceanna
21-03-2010, 16:20
I like this thread!
hmm, my top favorite home remedies are:

1. Lavender oil massaged gently into the neck and shoulders can stop the type of headache that starts from tense neck muscles (I get them a lot when I am writing papers for school).

2. chewing a combination of cumin and fennel seeds can help stop gas/stomach aches caused by gas.

3. Garlic compress (mash the garlic and put it in cheesecloth) is good for keeping nasty cuts from getting infected.

4. Peppermint tea is a good digestive.

5. raspberry tea or dong quai tea is good for stopping menstrual cramps.

I wish I had a good rememdy for insomnia....
Aliceanna

greatdane
23-03-2010, 13:34
I do cleaning with mostly natural products, like baking soda and vinegar, love using lemons to make the garbage disposal smell fresh, OIL OF OREGANO, big favorite (as long as you're not allergic to oregano, sage, thyme, anything in that famly and also oil of oregano may help block iron absorption, so impt to keep in mind if plan on using every day or often), rubbing alcohol (don't know if counts as a natural product, but use to disinfect around the bathroom)

Aliceanna
24-03-2010, 03:14
I cook a lot and I have found that half a lemon and a handful of salt can be used to scrub wooden cutting boards and it will not only clean them, but completely remove the smell of onions, garlic, and other strong substances.

Also, white vinegar gets out the smell of cat pee. :)
Aliceanna

I use rubbing alcohol for everything: cleaning bathroom, cleaning the small trashcans in my bathroom, cleaning that pad that goes over the lightswitch, the fridge door...etc. etc.

OmSeaweed
25-03-2010, 00:51
I forgot! Honey! Raw honey on most any type of surface wound (anything not needing stitches, etc, like cuts,) works wonders! You'll heal faster and it has natural antibacterial properties. Just slap on a little honey and a band aid and it works faster than Neosporin or other likewise products. (If you're out and about and in a pinch can only get one of those restaurant honey packets that aren't entirely honey, it'll still work until you can get home.)

(I'm not religious, but having studied anthropology/archeology I learned this tidbit: King Herod was a jealous man and couldn't stand to see his wife with another, so he killed her. Then, unable to deal with the thought of parting with her he kept her body completely submersed in honey for 8 years! and it didn't spoil.)

I wouldn't recommend keeping bodies in it, lol, but it works great on cuts and bumps :)

margi
28-03-2010, 09:00
I don't know if any of these have been posted, I read up to page 9 and started to go cross eyed....

For hair loss and thinning, Nettle infused oil used as a hot oil treatment, and massaged into the scalp strengthens the hair follicles, preventing hair loss....it also strengthens the hair strand helping to prevent split ends.

Coconut oil used as a pre shampoo treatment can eliminate the need for conditioners....use SLS free shampoo's....SLS is a surfactant, and very harsh to the skin and scalp.

Camellia oil is another oil that is great for the hair, but more than that, it is wonderful for the skin!!! Geisha's have used it for centuries....will help fade spots, and inprove your complexion.

Rose hips oil....anti-aging due to the high levels of anti oxidants...Vitamins A, C, E and K in addition to Oleic Acid, etc....non-greasy, perfect used alone.

Grapefruit seed extract-used as a gargle can strengthen and whiten teeth. Great alternative to fluoride....in very small doses, if taken internally, is a powerful anti fungal, helping with yeast issues. Is also wonderful to add to your cleaning products, as it is a natural insect repellent and has anti bacterial properties.

Jojoba oil, straight up, for any hair and skin issues....

Arnica infused oil helps reduce the appearance of cellulite...

These are the ones at the top of my list....sorry for any repeats...

M

Stormdancer
28-03-2010, 09:25
I forgot! Honey! Raw honey on most any type of surface wound

This is probably a dumb question, but....Is "RAW" honey the same stuff we buy in the store? I know at our farmers market there's a "honey guy" with local stuff, but it's not open yet.

willoe
25-04-2010, 16:34
Y'all this is a great thread!

Here are some of the things I use:

- aloe vera gel. everywhere. I use it to style my (curly) hair, shave my legs (no cuts!), put on my skin. it's fantastic. I use the fruit of the earth brand, and it's pure aloe very gel.

- I make a hair gel out of whole flax seeds. great for moisturizing and adding shine. I can put up the recipe if anyone is interested.

- honey goes everywhere! on my face, in my hair (shine! but watch out- it's a humectant!) and in almost all of my food.

- if you use local honey, it will help with allergies

- tea tree oil is a natural antimicrobial, and is excellent for skin massage. Don't use on broken skin!

- jojoba oil and vitamin E oil are fantastic makeup removers, and they leave your skin and eyelashes soft and lush.

- I use a spray of purified water, two drops of honey, a few drops of sweet orange essential oil, and few drops of vitamin e along with a good few pumps of aloe vera. It's an all-over energizer spray.

- zinc taken once a day will help keep your immune system in top shape

- putting a piece of potato on your forehead relieves minor headaches

- taking iron or eating iron-filled veggies helps reduce restless leg syndrome (but be careful- too much iron is VERY BAD for you)

Milfoil
25-04-2010, 19:08
This is probably a dumb question, but....Is "RAW" honey the same stuff we buy in the store? I know at our farmers market there's a "honey guy" with local stuff, but it's not open yet.

The jar of honey you buy in a supermarket has been heat treated usually and filtered. In this process to make it 'safe' (cough) is looses much of its healing properties and is simply a nice tasting sweetener.

Honey on the comb is raw honey. Or, if you know a 'Honey Guy' who will sell you a jar of untreated honey (complete with any bits of wax etc which may have got in there) then that is raw honey too with all its antiseptic properties.

There is a type of hive called a Ware hive which works opposite to the modern ones but the authorities don't like it because they can't inspect for varroa mite and other diseases of the hive unless they dismantle the whole hive. However, this is how bees live and the honey which comes from them is darker and has 'bits' in it because the queen starts laying at the top most point of the comb and works down. As each brood chamber is used a couple of times, cleaned and lined with propolis (a fantastic anti fungal, anti microbial and antiseptic), when eventually the comb is used for honey it takes on some of these properties. When the comb is harvested, some of the propolis is inevitably in this darker honey along with pollen etc which makes it not quite so visually beautiful as the light coloured, clear stuff but has way more healing properties.

Tarot Orat
02-05-2010, 06:39
For colds, flus, allergies - not a cure, but major relief: wasabi (green Japanese horseradish). Clears your sinuses, it hurts a bit but it's a good excuse to order sushi. You can also find dried wasabi-covered peas in the dried fruit & nuts section of many stores these days. I keep a jar of them by my bed all winter!

For stomach upset, which I have a lot of: ginger and peppermint. Grate some fresh ginger into hot peppermint tea. If you don't have fresh ginger, even powdered ginger from the spice section of a supermarket works. Crystallized ginger is as tasty as candy and also soothes the stomach. Chewing peppermint leaves or even peppermint candy (if it's made with the real thing) works too.

For insect bites and stings: Honey, which draws the moisture (including venom) out of the skin and reduces swelling. Obviously, if you have bee sting allergies, get medical attention first!

For toothache: Clove oil - dab it on with a cotton swab, or put a few drops on a cotton ball and place it next to the tooth. It is VERY strong, more than a drop or two will burn, so don't overuse it! If you have no clove oil, sprinkle powdered cloves over the tooth and gum, or press a whole clove against it.

For sore throat and chest congestion: If you have mucus or coating in your throat, unsweetened grape juice and cranberry juice clear it right out. Non-alcoholic red wine (the kind where it's fermented, but the alcohol removed) and small amounts of balsamic vinegar are also effective. For a sore throat that doesn't have mucus or coating, licorice candy and tea will soothe it, and also suppress coughing.

celticnoodle
03-05-2010, 09:52
For colds, flus, allergies - not a cure, but major relief: wasabi (green Japanese horseradish). Clears your sinuses, it hurts a bit but it's a good excuse to order sushi. You can also find dried wasabi-covered peas in the dried fruit & nuts section of many stores these days. I keep a jar of them by my bed all winter! oh Lordy! :P I can imagine this would clear A LOT in the body! lol! :P I cannot eat wasabi--too much for me! :laugh:

For stomach upset, which I have a lot of: ginger and peppermint. Grate some fresh ginger into hot peppermint tea. If you don't have fresh ginger, even powdered ginger from the spice section of a supermarket works. Crystallized ginger is as tasty as candy and also soothes the stomach. Chewing peppermint leaves or even peppermint candy (if it's made with the real thing) works too. yep, i know ginger is a good remedy for a lot of what ails you. and, if you cannot get ahold of peppermint candies either-try the gum. it helps too! that is what our grandmother always gave to us.

For insect bites and stings: Honey, which draws the moisture (including venom) out of the skin and reduces swelling. Obviously, if you have bee sting allergies, get medical attention first! really?! :bugeyed: wow! who'd have thought! get stung by the bees, and use their honey to ease the pain, eh?

For toothache: Clove oil - dab it on with a cotton swab, or put a few drops on a cotton ball and place it next to the tooth. It is VERY strong, more than a drop or two will burn, so don't overuse it! If you have no clove oil, sprinkle powdered cloves over the tooth and gum, or press a whole clove against it.

For sore throat and chest congestion: If you have mucus or coating in your throat, unsweetened grape juice and cranberry juice clear it right out. Non-alcoholic red wine (the kind where it's fermented, but the alcohol removed) and small amounts of balsamic vinegar are also effective. For a sore throat that doesn't have mucus or coating, licorice candy and tea will soothe it, and also suppress coughing.

the clove oil, I knew too. but never heard of this juice thing. though, my mom and her mom before here use to give out 'butter balls'. this was just a teaspoon of butter and rolled in sugar. it seemed to help, and naturally, as children was a treat so we wouldn't refuse! :D

good things here!

greatdane
08-05-2010, 08:38
Hydrogen peroxide on toothbrushes (think of where you keep toothbrush and, if it's nect to toilet, every time toilet if flushed, those germs go in the air) just a bit, disinfects your toothbrush. Rubbing alcohol on a bit of tissue and rubbed around toilet, kills germs, so if one family member sick, this is especially good to remember for bathroom surfaces. I always remember to rinse off alcohol after cleaning toilet though, you don't want on your bum!

Ramona
13-05-2010, 10:48
1) Balsam Poplar (Populus balsamifera) Tincture:
Cures earache, sore throat, any bacterial/viral or other infection

2) Willow/Feverfew Tincture:
Migraines, headaches, muscle and/or joint pain

3) Siberian Ginseng:
I take as a tablet 3X a day for energy, depression, well-being

4) Brahmi, powdered:
I make up the capsules myself; for memory enhancement and mental sharpness

5) Sweet Fern (Comptonia peregrina) Tincture:
Can be used as a tonic, but I use it mostly for stomach upset and diarrhea. Works like a charm!

I make all my own tinctures from the herbs I grow myself or that I wildcraft myself from organic sources. I used to make salves and lotions, but now I keep it simple.
oh, and another that is quite nice is Self-Heal Tincture as well:
Well-being, tonic and stops itching from rash or stings.

If dreams could talk, mine would say that herbalism is my calling. ;) But life doesn't see it that way. Sigh!

Great thread! I'm glad I found it.
Blessings
Ramona

Addendum:
I'm going to add something in honour of a great breakthrough that I've just had - yesterday - because of joining the AT. It's wonderful but so scary at the same time. If "herbalism is my calling..." then why am I not practising it openly and with joy in my heart? Because of my false belief that no one will want to know anything from me, or buy anything from me. Comes from a nightmare I had at the age of 3 - a self-fulfilling belief that entered my unconscious at that time, and never left, never changed. NOW is the time to make it change, to use Alchemy for Dreams and undo this destructive pattern. Whew! That feels better!
cheers
Happy New Moon Divination!

Briar Rose
13-05-2010, 13:40
A cup of Lipton teas makes me feel really good and lifts up my spirits.

beginner
15-08-2010, 01:11
remedy for mild burns

wash the burnt area n coat it with salt immediately this prevents any type of scare from appearing

quick heal 4 cuts -- apply turmeric powder instantly after washing the wound with antiseptic

canid
15-08-2010, 01:34
Here's an odd one - for bee or wasp stings, tape a penny over it. Not really a 'natural', I know, but it really does work.

Ramona
15-08-2010, 02:48
I don't know about you, but I would never put salt on a burn! OUCH! Introducing a foreign irritant to an open wound, and one that hurts already, would only make things much worse.
A burn requires that you cool off the area immediately, so lukewarm water is the way to go. I use an Aloe vera leaf, cut length wise to release the inner healing juice and I apply it gently to the burned area. For severe burns, see a medical practitioner. For mild burns, use Aloe. The pain and heat sensation will lessen immediately after the application. If the burn is serious enough, apply an antibiotic cream to prevent infection. To me, the scarring issue is less of a priority than relieving the pain in a natural and non-intrusive way.

The above also applies to cuts, abrasions, sunburn, chafing and other skin irritations. Use Aloe, Mother Nature's skin-healing medicine.

Ramona

remedy for mild burns

wash the burnt area n coat it with salt immediately this prevents any type of scare from appearing

quick heal 4 cuts -- apply turmeric powder instantly after washing the wound with antiseptic

Ramona
15-08-2010, 02:57
Hi Canid ~

I have never heard of using a penny - if you do, make sure it's thoroughly washed, as coins are notorious for carrying lots of germs. :)
Maybe it's the copper that in the old days did have some healing power?.. but pennies are not made of copper anymore, are they?

For a bee or wasp sting, if you don't carry a "Benadryl" pen stick with you (I do), and you are outside, then grab a Plantain leaf (Plantago major), crush it to release the juice and apply it to the stung area. This will lessen the pain and swelling right away.
If you know that the person is allergic to insect stings/bites, bring him or her to the Emergency ward right away without delay. Better be safe than sorry.

I also use other herbs for allergies: Evening Primrose leaves contain a huge quantity of Quercitin, a potent anti-allergy chemical, among other things. Then there's Lemon Verbena (Aloysia triphylla) French Tarragon and Stinging Nettle, which all contain the anti-allergy property. I take the above because I can't take the other herbs that are REALLY anti-allergy powerful, due to my hypo-thyroidism. These are:
Wild Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, and Thyme.
There you go - herbal lesson of the day!

:)
Cheers
Ramona

Here's an odd one - for bee or wasp stings, tape a penny over it. Not really a 'natural', I know, but it really does work.

beginner
20-08-2010, 02:14
I don't know about you, but I would never put salt on a burn! OUCH! Introducing a foreign irritant to an open wound, and one that hurts already, would only make things much worse.
A burn requires that you cool off the area immediately, so lukewarm water is the way to go. I use an Aloe vera leaf, cut length wise to release the inner healing juice and I apply it gently to the burned area. For severe burns, see a medical practitioner. For mild burns, use Aloe. The pain and heat sensation will lessen immediately after the application. If the burn is serious enough, apply an antibiotic cream to prevent infection. To me, the scarring issue is less of a priority than relieving the pain in a natural and non-intrusive way.

The above also applies to cuts, abrasions, sunburn, chafing and other skin irritations. Use Aloe, Mother Nature's skin-healing medicine.

Ramona

lol i know it would burn more ! but isn't a little more of burn better than have a permanent scar !

willoe
31-10-2010, 22:40
lol i know it would burn more ! but isn't a little more of burn better than have a permanent scar !

Not at all!

Not to mention, if you give the burn proper care and aftercare, you're less likely to develop serious scar tissue. (This of course, will vary from person to person. Some people develop scars very easily and some do not. I've been badly burnt on multiple occasions in the same place, and looking now, you'd never be able to tell. And even serious scar tissue will fade with time and care.)

celticnoodle
01-11-2010, 11:53
I just recently found out that green tea is great for burns. it's great for a lot of things. acne, weight loss, burns (as just mentioned) and sheesh---more too.

i have rosacea and occasionally have bad outbreaks, not to mention having red blotchy skin just about all the time. :rolleyes: so, i was looking up a natural remedy for it in addition to the aloe and chamomile i use.

now, i don't really like the taste of green tea, but i found a site that says you could brew the tea and submerge a washcloth into it, to soak up all the liquid and place that on the affected area. so, now, cannot wait to get to the store where i can get fresh green tea!!! could kick myself, as i had green tea and because i didn't like the taste gave it to my sister (who loves it!) a month ago! :rolleyes:

Caedryn
01-11-2010, 13:45
Elastoplast has some excellent stuff for burns and to prevent scarring...which is very important for bad burns which can later give a lot of pain due to the scar tissue.

My wife uses Oil of Olay Intense Hydrating cream for rosacea, and it works very well to give the skin an even normal tone of skin, and to take away irritations.

~ C

autumn star
01-11-2010, 17:55
crushed Asprin - mixed with a tiny amount of water or honey is great for breakouts or pimples - it reduces inflammation & redness :) Use it as a face mask for 20 mins or so.

The crowned one
01-11-2010, 18:23
A mixture, or separate of fresh squeezed lemons ( 2 or 3) wash it down with as much water as you need. a whole garlic head, baked in olive oil, eat them all ( they just squuze out and taste wonderful when baked, and 2 two 3 oz of Good single mail...will stop a cold in its tracks by morning.

Tryptophan or its precurseer 5-HTP( thou I do not feel as effective), leading to both Serotonin and Melatonin for sleep and more importantly: clear thought without emotional pain. Absolutly natural and effective. ( I last needed it at 21 years of age and the angst of love lost LOL , but boy did it give me peace and clarilty)

So I have 3 more to add...but not tonight.

linnie
01-11-2010, 21:55
Y'all this is a great thread!

Here are some of the things I use:

- aloe vera gel. everywhere. I use it to style my (curly) hair, shave my legs (no cuts!), put on my skin. it's fantastic. I use the fruit of the earth brand, and it's pure aloe very gel.

- I make a hair gel out of whole flax seeds. great for moisturizing and adding shine. I can put up the recipe if anyone is interested.

- honey goes everywhere! on my face, in my hair (shine! but watch out- it's a humectant!) and in almost all of my food.

- if you use local honey, it will help with allergies

- tea tree oil is a natural antimicrobial, and is excellent for skin massage. Don't use on broken skin!

- jojoba oil and vitamin E oil are fantastic makeup removers, and they leave your skin and eyelashes soft and lush.

- I use a spray of purified water, two drops of honey, a few drops of sweet orange essential oil, and few drops of vitamin e along with a good few pumps of aloe vera. It's an all-over energizer spray.

- zinc taken once a day will help keep your immune system in top shape

- putting a piece of potato on your forehead relieves minor headaches

- taking iron or eating iron-filled veggies helps reduce restless leg syndrome (but be careful- too much iron is VERY BAD for you)

Aloe vera for sunburn... I know a family who get burnt every year... Doh!!! and they have now planted a 'pup' of our aloe plant where they holiday. Just pick a leaf off the living plant and squeeze the juice out... I would prefer, of course, that they didn't get sunburnt at all! Aloe is a tough plant and lots of people could have one near their back door. Some people drink the juice, but I tried it, and decided it wasn't for me. :)

I use tea tree oil for lots of things... and I do use it on open skin... it stings, but it stops bacteria in it's tracks! Whenever someone has the hint of a blind pimple or a cold sore, dap on the tea tree oil! :)

I agree with earlier comment re needing to cool burns down quickly... that's essentail first aid... but lavender oil is great for minor burns.

Mouthfuls of fresh parsley and celery eaten regularly are good for helping to reduce hypertension... if I remember to eat it often enough, it really helps!

For really savage biting ants (up this way, called "jumping ants" and they are mean), kitchen detergent, straight from your sink, slapped on generously, helps more than many expensive specialty creams and potions. Or... vinegar tipped all over your head etc if stung by a wasp also helps.

And... a small amount of Clove Bud oil in a bucket of water keeps mould down, and is so much easier to live with than bleach, by whatever name it is marketed! :)

linnie
01-11-2010, 21:59
oh, the whole reason I quoted Willoe was about honey... honey is great in the way described by Willoe... Also, if you dip the ends of plant cuttings (you know, when you want to make a new plant from another one) in honey, it prevents infection, so the plant grows healthily. You can also dip the plant cuttings in water that has had Weeping Willow stems soaking in it for a while... and that will stimulate the plant's new root system. :)

willoe
02-11-2010, 16:07
I forgot about asprin masks! I love those, they leave my face nice and even and toned.

I've read about oil-cleansing.. it's a natural way of cleaning your face with, you guessed it, oil. Sounds counter-intuitive, but here's the basic idea:

Oil dissolves oil and things trapped in oils without stripping your face.

Most people like to use castor oil (which draws impurities and "plugs" out of the skin) and another, moisturizing oil mixed with it to give your skin a healthy glow. I've seen olive, safflower, sunflower and almond oils recommended. It seems that the most popular combination was 75/25 of sunflower and castor. Some people find that castor oil's drawing properties are too much for thier skin and just use a gentle oil (almond, safflower) to cleanse. (There are others you can use, and a scale on which they're graded as to how likely they are to give you breakouts/acne. One of those scales can be found here: http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist )

Be aware that you will go through a purge phase. It's your skin getting rid of stuff that's been under there for a while. It will be uncomfortable, but if you are really serious about clearing up your skin, this is one to try.

The procedure is this:

(Procedure taken from http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com )

- You'll need a soft washcloth, your oil blend, and hot, running water.

- Pour a generous puddle of oil into the palm of your hand. Roughly, the size of a quarter, but more is acceptable. Rub your hands together to warm the oil and smooth over your face.

- Begin massaging the oil into your face. This will remove makeup, dirt, and other impurities, so there is no need to use a makeup remover or wash your face prior to the massage. I've found that this removes even my stubborn waterproof mascara and concealor.

- Using slow, firm motions across the skin, massage the oil deeply into your pores. Take your time and focus on your problem areas. You want the oil to work into your pores so that blackheads and the like can be dissolved and steamed away.

- As you're massaging, let your mind drift off to something calming and breathe deeply. Take this time to relax and release some of the stress that your body is harboring. Sit down, breathe deeply, and take your time. Give the oil enough time to work on dissolving the impurities in your pores and give yourself enough time to unwind. Picture what your face would look like if it were completely clear and free from blemishes. Focus on that image and know that it is attainable. Trust that it is attainable. Accept that it is attainable. You can have clear skin, free of blemishes and you will have clear skin, free of blemishes. Focus on perfect skin and breathe deeply.

- Once you're satisfied that your pores are saturated and you're feeling calm, pick up your washcloth and soak it in clean, steamy water. We want the water to be warm enough to open your pores and remove the oil. Cool water will not open your pores, nor will it remove the oil efficiently. We're not scalding our skin, we're steaming to coax our pores to release the oil carrying the impurities. We're essentially steaming our skin as an esthetician would, but without the luxury of a steam machine.

- Hold the washcloth to cover your face. Allow it to stay until it cools. You will feel your pores releasing the impurities. Wipe the oil gently away and rinse the washcloth well in hot, running water. Hold the washcloth to your face again, allowing it to cool. Wipe gently, rinse well, and repeat two or three more times. Avoid any temptation to scrub, as you'll find it's completely unnecessary and your skin will be soft, smooth, and free of flakes without the additional manual exfoliation and irritation that will result. Impurities, dead skin cells, and bacteria will be gently swept away.

- Have no fear of the oil, as the steamy washcloth will remove it. The Castor Oil, though it is an oil, will help with the removal of the other oils, as well. It is our main cleansing oil and is easily removed with warm water.

- If your skin feels tight, take a tiny drop of your oil blend, rub it between your clean, damp palms and pat it onto your damp skin. Gently massage any oil residue into your skin so there is no film of oil left sitting on the surface. Your skin should now glow!

It doesn't work for everyone, because everyone's skin is different, but if you want a new skincare routine, and you're tired of using harsh chemicals on your face, this is definitely one to try. :)

Aviva1976
03-11-2010, 09:03
egg and outdated mayo is great to condition your hair so is honey

Wendywu
03-11-2010, 19:35
I'm a great believer in garlic for just about everything. Roasted and then mushed up and spread on toast is scrummy and sooo good for colds. Actually we put garlic in just about everything - fresh bought, not processed in anyway.

And I second the wild honey. (or is it third, fourth or fifth?). Amazing stuff.

Also, fennel tea is good for the digestion.

Oatmeal tied up in a thin muslin bag and popped in the bath makes the bath water very soft. Tie it up securely or you'll be bathing in porridge :laugh:

My mother in law (a tough cookie) puts salt on mouth ulcers and they disappear very quickly. Not sure I could stand the pain though! Oh yeah, she gargles with hot salty water when she has a sore throat too!! Me, I do the honey and fresh lemon juice thing topped up to a nice size mugful with hot water.

linnie
03-11-2010, 19:51
Tea tree oil. Taste like crap, though, and methinks is possibly low-level poisonous :D so don't use it on sores inside the mouth. Only outside.

\m/ Kat

yes... it does say on the bottle that it's "not to be taken", but I still use it on a cotton bud and rub it onto a mouth ulcer, then rinse the mouth out... no teatree oli swalloed, and mouth ulcers gone! :)

Wendywu
03-11-2010, 19:57
Yep - tea tree oil. Wonderful stuff. Never tried the cotton bud thing with it for mouth ulcers. I might give it a go next time I get one. Thanks :)

linnie
03-11-2010, 19:58
Natural acidopholous yoghurt, used intravaginally, eases and combats thrush.

Peppermint oil or lollies help with travel sickness... (only a drop... Like tea tree oli, peppermint oil can be toxic)

Wendywu
03-11-2010, 20:04
Natural acidopholous yoghurt, used intravaginally, eases and combats thrush.

Is also good if you're on prescribed antibiotics which can sometimes be rough on the digestive system. "Live" yoghurt can replace the natural stomach bacteria which help us digest our food, but which antibiotics can strip out :)

Aviva1976
04-11-2010, 01:21
garlic is also good for yeast infections with plain yogurt on it you sew with a clean needle and thread sew in the thread and cover the garlic (purple is better)
with the yogurt and insert in. not sure about what men but it works for woman

howaboutacupoftea
22-01-2011, 14:31
(That is really interesting about honey and expired mayonnaise as conditioner :D I need to try that!)

Ok! I have a few:

1=Lemongrass makes a wicked tea :D
My dad used to brew it to help with his high blood pressure :) It also works when you're feeling stressed and insomnia. The tea is also good for a bunch of other things, its like a miracle tea haha. It's even used to discipline dogs (since they don't like the smell), but that seems cruel :(
Bundle a bunch of lemon grass leaves, keep it in your car. It makes it smell lemony for a while xD
Also, the bush of lemongrass keeps snakes away from your home :)

2=Rosemary oil works amazing with pain and cramps on your arms and legs. Just dab the cotton with oil and massage it in to where its hurting. After about 3 uses, it should go away :)

3=Aloe is awesome for digestive health :) It tastes icky though >_<

4=Getting a tea bag of Manzanilla (I don't know what it's called in English :\), dipping it in warm water, and placing it on the eye helps relieve pink eye infections :) (cold boric acid water works too, just be careful xD)

5=Honey and lemons works for dogs who have kennel cough. But, some of them (like mine) don't like the taste, so you kinda have to get the medical dropper and kinda force them to take it :( Children's Bennedryl works for them too, but once again, you have to force it in them :( (Or maybe its just my spoiled dog who has these problems haha)

bluecaffeine
22-01-2011, 21:26
verbena tea helps against sore throat,
rosmarine tea helps against sweating
a drop of tea-tree-oil helps against warts

linnie
11-02-2011, 19:21
Is also good if you're on prescribed antibiotics which can sometimes be rough on the digestive system. "Live" yoghurt can replace the natural stomach bacteria which help us digest our food, but which antibiotics can strip out :)

Very true.... As well as the thrush remedy (and that's an interesting addition of the sewn in garlic, Aviva1976! :)), it's good for digestion always, but especially while on or after antibiotics!!!

Belthane
03-03-2011, 04:45
What an excellent thread! I'd just found this and haven't found the time yet to read through it. I have a few to contribute and hope that it hasn't been repeated yet.

1. Mouth ulcer - rub with salt. My husband says it'll hurt at first, but it'll swiftly heal it for you. I tried it myself and it does heal quickly (usually in 24 hours) but it doesn't hurt me. Maybe I'm just thick-skinned. :D

2. Young infant's stomach discomfort, or "wind" - rub eucalyptus oil on their bellies and soles of feet. This is actually a very common practice in Asia, and can be used on newborn infants, even. I use a brand called Euky Bear Eucalyptus Oil.

3. Olive oil or almond oil as face moisturizer. I've tried both, and olive oil does make my skin amazingly soft but is too rich at the end. Almond oil on the other hand, is extremely light.

4. Apple cider vinegar as toner - a lot of people swear by this. Makes skin soft and smooth. I couldn't stand the stink, though! Phew!

5. Heaty body - drink fresh aloe vera juice (you can mix with honey for taste) - it works wonderfully when I have a headache caused by heatiness and/or lack of sleep and tension. For those who are unfamiliar with heat/cold in the Chinese culture, perhaps this can shed some light:

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?/topic/14385-the-concept-of-heatiness-and-coldness-in-food/

and

http://www.shen-nong.com/eng/lifestyles/food_body_constitutions.html

That's all I can think of, for now. :)

celticnoodle
03-03-2011, 10:00
What an excellent thread! I'd just found this and haven't found the time yet to read through it. I have a few to contribute and hope that it hasn't been repeated yet.

1. Mouth ulcer - rub with salt. My husband says it'll hurt at first, but it'll swiftly heal it for you. I tried it myself and it does heal quickly (usually in 24 hours) but it doesn't hurt me. Maybe I'm just thick-skinned. :DREALLY? interesting. I would think it would really hurt. We use to put something on mouth ulcers, and right now I cannot think of what the name of it was---but I do recall that it is also something in Listerine, and so if we were 'out' of that other thing--we'd put a bit of Listerine on it and it would also heal it quickly. burn like hello, but it also cleared it up quickly!

2. Young infant's stomach discomfort, or "wind" - rub eucalyptus oil on their bellies and soles of feet. This is actually a very common practice in Asia, and can be used on newborn infants, even. I use a brand called Euky Bear Eucalyptus Oil. Man, I wish I had known this 29yrs. ago! :laugh: even 3 yrs ago--as I could've told my daughter to use this on the peanut. well, I'll know this for the next grand baby--if we get another one.

I did know about the apple vinegar thingy, and also the olive oil thingy. the vinegar smell will soon disappear though. I often use white vinegar as a rinse on my hair after washing it. when I tell people this, they make a face at me and say, "Ewww!!! Doesn't it STINK???!" :P Uh, yeah--till the hair dries! and it makes my hair so nice and soft and healthy looking and also helps with my dry scalp and dry hair!

Vinegar is a wonder item. so many incredible uses! No house should EVER be w/o it. I buy it by the gallon. :P

linnie
03-03-2011, 10:19
For sunburns... tomato!!

Just cut slices of it and put them over the sunburn area!
Seriously??? Had never heard of that... :) And Aloe Vera, squeezed straight from its leaves... wonderful...

creakingcricket
03-03-2011, 11:39
Ingrown toenail: apply a drop or two of castor oil to a metal nail file, put the file under then nail and file upward on the ingrown part.

Scalp eczema: after washing hair, apply a few drops of iodine to a fine-toothed comb and comb through hair. Apply over a sink because iodine stains.

Belthane
04-03-2011, 04:41
REALLY? interesting. I would think it would really hurt. We use to put something on mouth ulcers, and right now I cannot think of what the name of it was---but I do recall that it is also something in Listerine, and so if we were 'out' of that other thing--we'd put a bit of Listerine on it and it would also heal it quickly. burn like hello, but it also cleared it up quickly!

Man, I wish I had known this 29yrs. ago! :laugh: even 3 yrs ago--as I could've told my daughter to use this on the peanut. well, I'll know this for the next grand baby--if we get another one.

I did know about the apple vinegar thingy, and also the olive oil thingy. the vinegar smell will soon disappear though. I often use white vinegar as a rinse on my hair after washing it. when I tell people this, they make a face at me and say, "Ewww!!! Doesn't it STINK???!" :P Uh, yeah--till the hair dries! and it makes my hair so nice and soft and healthy looking and also helps with my dry scalp and dry hair!

Vinegar is a wonder item. so many incredible uses! No house should EVER be w/o it. I buy it by the gallon. :P

Oh yeah, my husband grimaces every time he rubbed salt on mouth ulcer. I forgot to mention gargling warm salt water is good for sore throat, though it doesn't work for me. Works great for hubby. :)

As for the eucalyptus oil, it's a well kept secret. Haha, no... usually they suggest gripe water for baby's stomach discomfort and a friend who had a baby around the same time we did, didn't know about eucalyptus oil and was kept up all night by a screaming baby. Poor things. The harried and desperate father PM'ed my husband, and with great surprise he suggested the oil and guess what? Baby is happy. :D We're just glad we could help. Just rub the oil after bathing baby and whenever you feel it's needed.

Glass Owl
03-06-2014, 05:40
I add a few drops of grapefruit seed extract to my neti pot when doing my sinus rinses. Grapefruit seed extract is a powerful natural antiseptic and it is also an antiviral and anti-fungal agent.

greatdane
03-06-2014, 05:48
This has stopped sickness more than once in it's tracks for me and is really cost effective. I get it on Amazon. Three or four drops in a glass of water, twice a day, when you feel something coming on and it really has done the trick.

ArmidatheSaracen
12-12-2014, 17:41
Oh what fun this board looks like it will be!

1) Washing your hair with marshmallow root will take all the tangles out, and reduce split ends. Your hair gets really clean. The roots are just a mess to boil down, but you will love what it does to your hair. I made some for a relative experiencing hair loss, and she says it makes her hair look more voluminous and thick. Also washing your hair with honey makes it awfully soft, my hair can be a jungle, but honey will make it all better. Queen Anne used to wash her hair this way-- ladies make sure you get it all out though, or your hair gets glassy, and brittle, same with the marshmallow root- you don't want a piece of it stuck between a lock of your hair. Lime or lemon help too, will make your hair shiny and also soften it, I usually use it in an essential oil form. And last but not least coconut will take the dandruff out of your hair, and also deodorize it!

2) Using ginger root or lemon to get the smell of anything out of your hands, I must cook for the family everyday, I often cook with garlic and onions so this is very important. I prefer lemon because it also tones the skin, you'll notice your hands are really soft. You could similarly apply it to your face as an astringent. I make a mean homemade soap with honey (medicinal, and makes the skin glow) and green tea (full of antioxidants) and bits of citrus peels (to exfoliate) depending on what I have it may be grapefruit, orange or lime, then I add a little lemon essential oil. Bulk apothecary carries a really effective and cheap 5-fold lemon oil.

3) If you fear coming down with a cold then take Reishi mushroom supplements. I never get sick so long as I have them, it is a natural antihistamine and will shoot your immune system through the roof, it also gives you all this energy-- motivates you to exorcise and take other precautions, because it is so powerful I avoid taking it everyday, it can make me stay awake at night. But I am more sensitive than others, it doesn't affect everyone this way. My mother has endless food allergies, so she takes them everyday, and can eat whatever she wants without feeling any symptoms, yet doesn't get insomnia. So I only take it if I am exposed to germs. If I'm in a busy waiting room, and worry about catching something, I take one-- and will be fine. If I definitely feel myself getting cold symptoms take it over a few days or a week, the symptoms will not progress one inch, and they will disappear.

4) Oatmeal if your skin gets irritated or inflamed, rashes, hives etc. I once got had an awful allergic reaction to a dishwashing liquid, my hands broke out in boils. But I rubbed wet oats on my skin (or it can be total meal) and they got much smaller, it really took the swelling down, and alleviating the itching, made my hands soft, now my hands of course are back to normal. Oatmeal can also leave you with a more creamy soft, complexion. If your skin is irritated as in break-out, a lot of acne, then you might want to try goat's milk because its not quite as oily, too much oil can cause acne. I learned that lesson the hard way when I started putting vitamin E on my skin everyday.

5) If you have a toothache try applying a cleansing essential oil like clove bud oil or peppermint oil to your gum or tooth, it will provide a pleasant cooling sensation, numb the pain and fight the infection. Another good use for a more medicinal oil like this is in the laundry, when my clothes aren't heavily soiled but rather just musty, rather than washing them I really liked putting them in the dryer with a combination of fresh top note oils, pine oil, clove, lavender, tree tea, your clothes or linen will be very clean but also have a crisp natural smell, not an artificial one. When I put some bedding in on an essential oil cycle it made it a joy to go to sleep, it was wonderful aromatherapy to have these scents just mildly in my covers.

celticnoodle
13-12-2014, 00:30
Oh what fun this board looks like it will be!

yep, it is a great thread! glad you resurrected it. I'm always interested in seeing what others have to offer here.

As for the marshmallow root--It sounds interesting, but I think I'd much rather stick to the vinegar or lemon juice rinses and baking soda washings--as I don't have to worry about any of them getting stuck in my hair! :D But, still interesting! Not sure I've heard of marshmallow root though. Does it actually look like marshmallows?

I did know about the lemon to get any smell out of your hands, but not ginger root. I cook a lot with garlic and onions too. I also know lemon oil is great as an astringent and take note you freckle faces out there--it can also fade away those freckles! (though it may take time for that to happen, and I never stay with it long enough apparently, as my freckles still remain. :(

I am interested in your recipe for the soap you make with the honey, citrus peels, etc. can you post that?

I'm not a big mushroom lover--but will also tell this to my daughter, as she (and hubby) LOVE mushrooms. I should probably get use to it though and take this too as my immunity is low-and I could use it for a jump start in the day. I am always low on energy.

I am now using coconut oil on my skin. I LOVE IT! It makes it feel so soft and good. :) I use it as a daily moisturizer all over as I have such terribly dry skin.

I knew that about clove oil too for a toothache as well as peppermint oil. Peppermint oil is also good for stomach aches, so my pharmacist always tells me.

Looking way forward to your soap recipe! I'm getting interested in trying to make my own bath soap. I do make my own shampoo and conditioner as it is and my own laundry soap too. I use white vinegar for a rinse in clothes at times. I do LOVE the scent of Snuggles liquid fabric softener, but recently found in Walmart two small balls to put in the dryer with your clothes and it removes all the static cling. They were inexpensive, so I thought, "Why not? I'll try it!" and it works!!! :thumbsup: So, bye-bye Snuggles now and if I feel the need to still use the distilled vinegar, I will--as I always have that in stock here. But, these balls are fantastic and now I am buying them for everyone to try. :D

Laura Borealis
13-12-2014, 01:21
Cough medicine - equal parts lemon juice, honey, and whiskey. Fresh squeezed lemon is best. Add a spoonful or two to a mug of hot tea and sip slowly. For me this works better than any commercial cough suppressant out there. There's not enough whiskey in a spoonful to even get a slight buzz, so personally I think it would be safe for a child, but you'd want to use your own judgement on that.