Best Tumblers

franniee

Hi Guys,

I want to get a rock tumbler. Which one should I get? The last time I did this I was a kid. :D

I would love some advice.

Thanks,
Fran

The crowned one

franniee said:
Hi Guys,

I want to get a rock tumbler. Which one should I get? The last time I did this I was a kid. :D

I would love some advice.

Thanks,
Fran

Hi Franniee!

I have a few tumblers and used to love polishing rocks and jade from rockhound trips up the Fraser river.

My first mistake was buying a 2 tumblers with barrels that are too small for any rock over 4 inches in size.

I use the very common (easy to get parts;)) and very good Lortone tumblers .

You need at least two tumblers as there is a "load" minimum. I think the Model QT12 and thier little 3A or 33B make a good team. You will find you use the small tumbler almost exclusively but once every year you will have enough large rock specimens to need the large tumbler. (and it goes through the grit and polish!)

Vibratory rock tumblers are way faster and I hear Raytech makes a good one but I have not used this style. (your rock keeps its basic shape better too in one of these.)

They are noisier then you remember Franniee ;)

franniee

Thanks TCO!

The other thing that is on my mind is where am I going to find the rocks. I have run of the mill ones in my backyard and I will absolutely investigate....could be a hidden gem in there but I was thinking of where to go after this.....

:D

morticia monroe

Yay, Franniee!!!

TCO has great advice. I HAVE found a few stones that I would have loved to tumble, only to find them too large for my smaller barrel.

I ran out of grit awhile back and need to order more. but I remain undaunted. I threw a handful of sand in there to make do for now...:)

You can find rocks anywhere, and you'll be surprised what a "regular old rock" can turn out to be. I found agate, bloodstone, and jasper in my driveway, and wherever I go, I'm always on the lookout for stones on the ground that look like they might be something pretty. I also (shamelessly)began asking all of my train trade partners if they'd pick a small stone up from the ground near their home and stick in the the envelope with my deck...:)

Online, google "rough rocks for tumbling", "rough stone for tumbling", "lapidary scrap", etc.

franniee

Thanks Morticia....you can take responsibility for the enabling. }) :D

I am very excited and I think it will be fun for my daughter. I got my nephew one last christmas but I know my sister wasn't too happy about the noise.

We are going to go to a few museums in the area next week that focus on rocks and crystals etc. Let me see what we have on this island of mine. :)

franniee

OK what do I need for supplies.... I figure I will order everything at once....but I don't know the sequence.... What are tumbling beads? Do I need them?

Thanks you guys!

franniee

OK I got a lortone 33B. I will get the larger one after I see how this goes. :D

I went to one of these sites that also had rocks for tumbling. }) and they sold the supplies in a kit so I just bought another to have..... once I get into it I will figure out how the whole process goes.

I am so excited!!!! :D :party:

morticia monroe

Oh yay Franniee!!! Hey I have a decent bit of broken quartz pieces from my digs, so let me know when you're ready and I'll send you a batch to tumble! :)

franniee

morticia monroe said:
Oh yay Franniee!!! Hey I have a decent bit of broken quartz pieces from my digs, so let me know when you're ready and I'll send you a batch to tumble! :)

OH thank you!!! That would be awesome! I can't wait until it gets here....but I probably shouldn't set it up until my birthday - so I have about a month. We'll see. :D Maybe I'll just say that the tumbling will take a month. :laugh: so there is a special case here. })

Now I am going to be collecting rocks all over the place....my daughter saw me read pebbles a few times so she has been picking up rocks for me....she has given me quite the collection already. :D

franniee

It;s here!!! Yippeeee going to set it up tonight! So much fun! :D

anyone want to donate some rocks.... I am here. :laugh: