How many different decks...

Grizabella

This just looks like one of the color-your-own decks. I don't think it's from the early 1900's necessarily. You can still buy them brand new to color in yourself. I wouldn't bid on it if it were me.

AJ

I wrote and asked seller how they were dating it as the deck can still be readily purchased today.

Their response:
These cards came out of an estate.
The px tag and info removed were from 1978.
I think they are from an era 1900 to 1930.
PVV

Now you tell me what that means :)
I saw a date of 1978 so I'm estimating the age at 1900-1930?

Debra

They were designed in the early 1900's some time and are still in print.

Looks like they were painted w/ water colors and embellished with gilt gel pens.

When were gel pens invented? :D

Erzebet

Debra said:
They were designed in the early 1900's some time and are still in print.

Looks like they were painted w/ water colors and embellished with gilt gel pens.

When were gel pens invented? :D

Mid 1990's seems to be the time when I remember those metallic gel pens being trendy! Really though that coloring looks horrible. She's selling a deck someone colored with gaudy gel pens in the 90's as an antique? :rolleyes: Have to love Ebay!

SixDegrees

You people make me smile. : )

GreenMoonBeam

Also this seller has no other Tarot on sale. Maybe not into Tarot? Colors are
yucky. :(:

GB! :):

Debra

As I recall, the BOTA deck is supposed to be colored in particular colors for the symbolism of it, and it's part of a ritual of intiation or meditation or something. So the choice of colors I am guessing is not the artists. I had those cards and they are tiny and difficult to color, so it's not a bad job! Someone should ask the sellr to show a photo of the BACKS--that's the key, shows the BOTA trademark and address and some symbol I think.

Debra

http://www.learntarot.com/btdesc.htm

This shows the backs.

It also says a copyright of 1999. But I could swear I read it was from the early Golden Dawn days--Paul Foster Case is Mr. B.O.T.A.--hm.

But the book that goes with is in its 14th edition (at least).

So I'm still betting the deck itself -- uncolored -- was designed in the early 1900's, and this is a copy colored Who-Knows-When.