Up-front, intimate questionnaire!

Le Fanu

As a response to a previous thread which rather lost it´s way a little, I felt that it might be interesting to do a - hopefully constructive -survey about people´s likes and dislikes when it comes to tarot decks, art and packaging. I know most of these issues have been discussed before, but I thought it might be interesting to have members´responses to these questions all in one place, and to give us all an insight into what people really think and want to see in their decks. I dunno, I just thought it might be interesting for us all and perhaps even useful to those who are creating their own deck. Feel free to omit any questions. But answers can be brief...

1. For you, what is the ideal size for a tarot deck?

2. If you saw a deck which you loved but which wasn´t Rider Waite/ scenic pips, would you be tempted to buy it?

3. Any style of tarot decks which just don´t tempt you at all; i.e historical/ Sci-fi/ fantasy/ photocollage/ novelty/ cutesy/ dark/ erotic / black & white/ Art deck/ Majors only/ any other type etc...

4. Do backs make a huge difference to your enjoyment of a deck?

5 With or without borders? Which would you prefer?

6. Laminated or unlaminated? High-gloss (U:S Games "made in Italy" style) or low-gloss (Scarabeo style)? Or none whatsoever?

7. Do you like to see the titles in English or does it not really bother you?

8. If the cardstock were not so stiff would it spoil your enjoyment of a deck?

9. Would you be prepared to pay a little more to get a "quite nice" bag to keep your deck in?

10. What is the most you would pay for a special limited edition/ rare/ OOP deck which you really liked?

11. Any pet hates in a deck? (i.e Justice and Strength swapped, Rods instead of Wands, nudity etc...)

12. Given the choice, would you always opt for a companion book rather than just the LWB?

13. Think of your favourite card. Would you refrain from buying a deck if that one card wasn´t to your taste?

firemaiden

Medium size, lo scarabeo size

2. If you saw a deck which you loved but which wasn´t Rider Waite/ scenic pips, would you be tempted to buy it?
If I loved it enough. I'm not big into Rider Waite. My first deck, and therefore, frame of reference for all subsequent decks, was the Thoth.

3. Any style of tarot decks which just don´t tempt you at all; i.e historical/ Sci-fi/ fantasy/ photocollage/ novelty/ cutesy/ dark/ erotic / black & white etc...
I can't do photocollage, I really hate it. In fact, I'm not big on collage of any kind in tarot cards at all. I prefer to look at someone's paintings. I'm not into sci-fi, not into cutesy, not into dark, not into black and white. Lets seeeee, what does that leave? My favorite decks are like the Thoth, beautiful works of art.

I prefer the backs be attractive, yes.

I prefer light borders to frame the art, I find the art without borders looks somehow cheesy.

6. Laminated or unlaminated? High-gloss (U:S Games "made in Italy" style) or low-gloss (Scarabeo style)?
I don't know. I like the gloss on my AG Müller 1996 Thoth.

English is not at all necessary. In fact I prefer the titles in French or Italian.

I don't know.

9. Would you be prepared to pay a little more to get a "quite nice" bag to keep your deck in?
No. I prefer a cardboard box.

10. What is the most you would pay for a special limited edition which you really liked?
I would not buy a limited special edition.

11. Any pet hates in a deck? (i.e Justice and Strength swapped, Rods instead of Wands etc...)
I'm not fond of the switching Justice and Strength , but I just fix it with a permanent magic marker. I don't pay a lot of attention to the names of the cards. I dislike it when all the court cards are male, I prefer the "page" to be a princess.

12. Given the choice, would you always opt for a companion book rather than just the LWB?
I usually get the companion book, but to be honest I almost never read it. Nothing to do with any philosophy, it's just that (aside from Magic Realist Press books which are neat) they rarely have anything new to add, and then they take up room on my book shelf and embarass me when I'm trying to hide my habit. ON the other hand I love to hear what the author has to say about how, why she created the deck (I'm assuming the creator is a "she", isn't that funny?)

13. Think of your favourite card. Would you refrain from buying a deck if that one card wasn´t to your taste?
I don't have a fetish for one card. I'm not that silly. :)

Sinduction

3" x 4"

I will only read with scenic pips, I don't care if they're RW specific.

3. Any style of tarot decks which just don´t tempt you at all; i.e historical/ Sci-fi/ fantasy/ photocollage/ novelty/ cutesy/ dark/ erotic / black & white etc...
Most all styles rub me the wrong way. I'm very difficult to please tarot-wise. I look more at the quality of art than the style. If the art is good, by this I mean it doesn't look like a 2 year old drew it, then I don't care about the style.

I'd prefer them to be, what's the word for it looks the same right-side up and right-side down? That's what I like. And why not use the same color scheme as the rest of the deck? It annoys me when the backs look nothing like the front. And put some skulls on it!

Either way is fine with me as long as the borders aren't terribly huge on a small deck. I'd like to not have to use a magnifying glass to read, k thanks.

6. Laminated or unlaminated? High-gloss (U:S Games "made in Italy" style) or low-gloss (Scarabeo style)?
As long as it holds up, I don't even care.

I'd prefer only one title. I can't stand to see good space taken up with 6 different languages. Give me one language please. They are pictures! Words are not important. I'm pretty sure I will be able to decipher it no matter what language it is. "Oh wait, is that the devil or the sun?" I mean, come on.

Again, as long as it will last I don't care.

No. But only because I make my own bags.

10. What is the most you would pay for a special limited edition which you really liked?
The only one I've ever bought was the ToD and I will never spend that much on any other deck. I'm very cheap though and prefer to spend under $20 per deck. I'm notorious for finding really great deals.

11. Any pet hates in a deck? (i.e Justice and Strength swapped, Rods instead of Wands etc...)
I hate it when pentacles are coins. But it's a wicca thing and I hate to see pentacles disappear. I still read with decks that are coined. I really can't stand it when all the people are ugly. Why can't we have pretty people to look at? And why are the women always pretty and young but the guys are old? Give me some nice looking people. And why can't the older people look good?

As long as the book has insights about why the artist chose to put something in or take something out. I wish more decks would do this. LWB's are useless to me.

I've passed on many decks because one card was not pleasing to me, doesn't have to be a favorite card. Just any, but then I am also really picky about art so yeah.

And quit with all the extra packaging! :D

lunalafey

Standard- US Games/Lo Scarabeo sized- yet decks of other sizes don't put me off any.

YES

3. Any style of tarot decks which just don´t tempt you at all; i.e historical/ Sci-fi/ fantasy/ photocollage/ novelty/ cutesy/ dark/ erotic / black & white etc... I like a variaty of decks- not too fond of reading with Thoth/GD variations though

I don't see the backs enough to really care ;) so NO

I guess I like boarders, never had a deck without to say what I prefer

6. Laminated or unlaminated? High-gloss (U:S Games "made in Italy" style) or low-gloss (Scarabeo style)? Hmm, again, not sure. I get annoyed with the slippery nature of a new deck. Laminated decks stay slippery longer, but I also get sad (unlaminated?) when well used decks start to wear thier color off

7. Do you like to see the titles in English or does it not really bother you? no bother- english, spanish, french- words no words, it all is ok with me

8. If the cardstock were not so stiff would it spoil your enjoyment of a deck? Well, I want my deck to be durable, but not so thick that when I shuffle the hold the 'bend'

9. Would you be prepared to pay a little more to get a "quite nice" bag to keep your deck in? Nope- most bags that are mass-produced do not appeal to me, be it design or quality. I also make bags to match my decks so I would not want to pay more and would be bummed if I did not have an option.

10. What is the most you would pay for a special limited edition which you really liked? gosh- that is a hard one to call. $50?

11. Any pet hates in a deck? (i.e Justice and Strength swapped, Rods instead of Wands etc...)Hmm. not really, again, I am versitile and not too picky.

12. Given the choice, would you always opt for a companion book rather than just the LWB? companion book always! unless the LWB is one of those that is full of info and such- the LWB that needs staples, I would go for that. My eyesite is still good.

13. Think of your favourite card. Would you refrain from buying a deck if that one card wasn´t to your taste? Very possible, but the rest of the deck would be a determining factor. If other card images are moving and insperational, then I would get the deck and just deal with a funky favorite.

afrosaxon

Le Fanu said:

Large enough to shuffle comfortably.

Le Fanu said:

Most definitely.

Le Fanu said:

I don't like the Renaissance/Medieval/Victorian-styled ones. I don't really get into the dark decks either, for the most part. I also like color tarot decks.

Le Fanu said:

Nope.

Le Fanu said:

My decks (so far) don't seem to be trimmable, so I've gotten used to borders. Something in me seems to cringe at cutting a deck (kind of like writing in a library book :laugh:)

Le Fanu said:

Err...yes? :D I have both types; I don't have problems either way. The gloss brings out the color, but shuffling is a bit more difficult.

Le Fanu said:

Doesn't bother me. I like to learn new languages.

Le Fanu said:

Yes. I like heavier stock; it just feels better to me.

Le Fanu said:

No.

Le Fanu said:

I haven't paid full price for a deck in years, and I've never had a special limited edition one. :D I probably should have skipped this question, 'cause I have no idea.

Le Fanu said:

3 of Swords as the bleeding heart with three swords stuck in it.
The Devil as Ol' Slewfoot in his Hellish lair, lording it over the damned.

GRRRRR...!

Le Fanu said:

Sometimes. THey can either be really informative or just plain confusing.

Le Fanu said:

Maybe. Depends on the rest of the images in the deck.

T.

gregory

Le Fanu said:
Any size that us USABLE ! POstcard sized cards are too large, ultra mini you can't see. But I have decent pianist's hands so anything sensible is fine.

Oh yes :D

If I had to pick ONE of these as unappealing it would be cutesy. That said, I haev several of those that I like :D But ones created (if you can call them that...) from stills from movies REALLY don't appeal.

No. But really lovely backs are still nice !

Geez I'm a pain - but really - it depends so much on the artwork. Some artwork looks dreadful with borders added - some decks the borders really add to it all. I am very fond of the borders on the Baroque Bohemian Cats first edition - I know many aren't ;) On the whole borders are better, for me.

I don't like VERY high gloss; the reflections get to me, and make the cards hard to read with in all but low light, IMHO. I prefer laminated, for durability and because I might DAMGAE an unlaminated one...

I like them to have the titles in the language the creator put on the cards. While I know WHY LS do it, and I accept that it helps them stay in business, Ric knows that the 6 languages are not to my personal taste....

I'm not sure what this one means; some decks are stiff, some aren't. I don't like card stock that tears and creases easily, but if it is strong enough to shuffle and use and isn't so thick that shuffling is a nightmare, it's OK with me.

On the whole no; I have a few lovely bags, but would rather spend my money on the cards. And the gauzey ones from Dollarama at 50 cents each are fine ! Boxes are better for storage anyway.

I have in my time paid $200 US..... It has to be really special for me to pay that sort of money. (It was, too !)

No really. But if the Death card doesn't work for me, it upsets me.... !

No. I generally don't buy the Big Books until the time I decide I need one for a particular deck because I am lost..... There is only so much reading I can fit into my life !

Very possibly; see above !

Baroli

Whatever fits comfortably in my hand.

Yes, I did that with the Magow, a polish deck and although I "liked" it, I do love it now.

I do not like cutesy or photocollage. (At least, I don't think I do.)

No.

It doesn't matter.

Low-gloss to none.

It doesn't bother me.

No, I don't care one way or the other.

Well, I have carried mine in a brown paper bag.

I don't know.

I don't really hate anything.

Wait!! Now the LWB makes a very nice tea cosy, and also levels the table if it is shakey. Also does well as starting fuel for a fire. Books I read.

Nope.

Hooked on TdM

Halfway between the size of playing cards and the standard size of Tarot cards.

I will only buy non-scenic pips. If it has illustrations, forget it.

Yes, all theme, RWS and thoth. I will be decks made this century if they are non-scenic but I prefer the historical ones.

Partially. If they have some type of picture on it, or a copy of one of the tarot cards forget it. I won't touch it. I prefer the standard geometric designs.

Either or.

Laminated low-gloss.

Drives me crazy. Needs to be in French, but I prefer no titles or numbers on any cards. Almost forgot, if it has more than one language on it, I won't buy it. REFUSE to own those decks.

Doubtful. Mind you a paper thin deck would just be garbage. It has to be usable and handle heavy use.

Nope I make my own.

So far, the most I have been willing to go up to is $100. Depends on my finances.

Suits should be historical (Baton, Epee, Denier, Coupe or in similar historical languages.) Strength is supposed to be 11 and Justice 8. Huge pet peeve. Drawing pictures on my pips!

Neither. Just give me the deck.

13. Think of your favourite card. Would you refrain from buying a deck if that one card wasn't to your taste?

I don't have a favourite card, I have a favourite style of deck. All my purchases are made off that style.

Hooked

Essjay

Slim - like the Medieval Cat Tarot

Not at the moment, no.

No, I like a variety.

Yes, an attractive back adds to a deck's charm.

Without, definately.

Low gloss - although I do like the endurance of US Games decks.

Don't mind

No, unless it was so flimsly that I was worried it may not last.

Yes, I'm a sucker for a nice bag.

£50

No, sometimes a book is a real companion but at other times I resent the shelf space given over. I don't refer to them as often as I should and feel that I've wasted money.

13. Think of your favourite card. Would you refrain from buying a deck if that one card wasn´t to your taste?[/QUOTE]

Yes, probably.

Syrah

Regular playing-card size. I have small hands and shuffling tarot cards can be challenging at times.

Heck yes, but honestly, it doesn't take much to tempt me to buy something... ;)

I'm not a big fan of photocollage, novelty or cutsey.

Nope.

Small black borders, thank you kindly. :)

Low-gloss lamination.

It doesn't really bother me. I enjoy the 6 languages on my LS Universal.

I can't really say.

Probably not.

I doubt I'd ever get a special limited edition.

Like Firemaiden, I dislike decks where the court cards are male-dominated.

It would depend, but I do enjoy reading about why the creators chose certain symbols and what their interpretation of the card is (even if I don't completely agree).

It would depend on how much I liked the rest of the deck, and how much I disliked the particular card(s).