Web Site not taking off.

Ange

The web site has been up and running for a while now, but it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.

I think it looks ok....and I've sent a mail to Linda Ravenscroft to see if I can link to the Mystic faerie Tarot to add that to it, and advertise Tarot reading as well....cos maybe I am cutting out potential customers by only doing Oracle.

I've put it on Google, but I'm at a loss now what to do to get it going....

Any ideas please?
Ang x

Grizabella

Maybe it just needs a little time to get going. The more people you can exchange links with, the better because people do check out the links on websites they visit. There are web rings you can join, too. Google search for "tarot webrings" and see what comes up.

It might also pay to print some business cards with your website url on it and then leave them wherever you can. Bookstores are a good place. Metaphysical shops, too. And someone mentioned putting business cards in all the books at the library that people into Tarot might be interested in.

Blogs are very popular and there are several places you can start blogs of your own. Start some blogs and then put a link to your website on them. Blogspot and Wordpress are a couple of blog sites I can think of offhand but I'm sure there are many more.

There are MSN and Yahoo groups you could join. I'm not sure, but I think you're allowed to put a link to your website on those, even if only in your profile.

Chat rooms are a good place to meet people you might refer to your site. I'm not one for chat rooms anymore, so I'm not really up on how those go, but you could join one and get acquainted with people who might want readings.

Have you tried going to coffee shops and reading face-to-face? That would be a good way to get attention for your website because you could pass out your business cards with the website on them.

Gavriela

I think a blog would definitely help, as would some site graphics.

You also might want to talk about the questions people might ask, or concerns they might have, and what a reading is.

And here's the awful part (I so suck at it, too):

Why should YOU be the one I go to for a reading? There needs to be something on the site about that. You don't have to be really conceited, but give me some reason to choose you instead of the gazillion other readers out there.

All Is One

You've probably already thought of this, but it's something I was planning to do when I thought about promoting my website. A search on "tarot' on eBay pulls up all sorts of things but many of the listings are not for products but for various kinds of readings.

If you put a listing that you do readings, like that or by listing a deck or something from your web site (I'm going to go find it in a minute here) then I think you get to put a link to the site on the listing page.

I'm not positive about the ebay rules, I just know that many people have tried to convince me to sell even one or two leather bags on ebay for attracting customers and I'm not looking for customers...but if I were, I have to admit that more people use ebay than use much of anything else on the net.

Sad, but seemingly true.

Grigori

I'd be more inclined to take a reading from someone whose face I've seen. It might be worthwhile adding a section "About Angela" and having a picture of you, and some text about yourself, your experience, your beliefs whatever. Something to make you a "real person" and not an abstraction. Even better if the picture is you reading for people in the real world as showing your experience etc.

Also I know you had a purpose in creating the oracle specific website, but I find the first paragraph of your main page really off-putting. I'd reword it so instead of listing why people would not want a tarot reading, instead list why they would want an oracle reading. In fact if you really want a tarot free space I'd avoid mentioning tarot at all. If your trying to attract people who are fearful of spiders (for example), putting a picture of spiders on your first page may not be the best way to go, if you know what I mean :D

All Is One

Similia, I went to the page and had the exact same response. Also, I love tarot, but might be attracted to an oracle reading that didn't mention tarot at all.

No reason to exclude people for any reason. Good spider analogy...that would be me, the arachnaphobe.

Ange

The first paragraph hadn't occured to me....I'll change that thanks.

I have a picture somewhere that I'll dig out and put on....if I can work out how to do it.....dumbo time again....:):)

Thanks for the ideas...it's really appreciated.....:)

Ang x

Ange

Ok....I've altered the front page, and I've even found how to put a picture on....how cool is that .....:)

Could you have a look and see what you think now please? If it's better?

With having permission off Karen to have a link for the Victorian Flower Oracle, I might put a nice pic of the cards on a table with candles etc.

I'll add teh Mystic Faeries too if Linda Ravenscroft gets back to me with a yes....cos they will look lovely on there.

Ang x

gregory

I don't know what metatags you have in there - but ADD MORE. More always help ! I can't actually SEE any in the source code !

I wasn't too thrilled (in the nicest sense !!!) with the pages which end "Enter supporting content here" - which suggests you aren't quite up and running yet ;) at the very least it says in effect that you are a newb, which could put people off ;)
If you see what I mean.

But I had heard that e-bay isn't allowing listing of readings any more - there is an outraged thread here somewhere....

baba-prague

The pages look very good, calm and attractive. If I were you though, I would add a small photo of an actual spread for each deck. I'm sure the deck copyright owners would be fine with that - I know we would be. It might just add some colour and interest to each deck page and help to make the idea of the readings come alive.

Have you looked at Elizabeth Genco's site? She has loads of good advice for marketing a metaphorical business - and you can sign up for her newsletter free of charge.