PDA

View Full Version : User Profile calculation error

Ophiel
06-01-2003, 22:52
I chanced upon my user profile and noticed something odd, what appears as a miscalculation. Mind you, I am do not care about the accuracy of this particular feature, and am not asking anyone to change anything...

My profile says I registered 9-02-02 and that, as of this moment, I have 303 posts (soon to be 304, after I hit "Submit") and that averages to .92 posts per day. Without doing the actual math, according to this, my ratio would be way higher than that.

I know you did a change over this past year, and probably deep in the guts of your central computer, you have another sign up date for me, buried deep within the bowels of 1's and 0's. In fact, I was part of this group before that.

I recently found out that I am not eligible for a toaster oven if I have the most posts in a year, so I really don't care about the number, just curious about the error.

Pollux
06-01-2003, 23:41
Ophiel, I think there's no real error... Look: a year is made of 365 days most often. Now you signed up 11 months ago, more or less, let's say... 330 days ago. You have 304 so the number (304/330) must be below 1 but close to it anyway. I am sure you made a lot of catching up for your most silent times though and we all love your posts! ;)

Ophiel
06-01-2003, 23:53
Thanks for responding so fast, Pollex. I do know how many days are in a year (is it 364 or something like that, or did we switch over yet to the 13 moons/28 day system?)

But look at my profile and you will see my registration date is listed as "09-02-2002." We just entered '03' and Sept of 02 was just a few months ago, roughly a 100 days or so. I am sure the computer is right, and that the date it is calculating is a more accurate date not displayed on my profile.

I said I really don't care, but noticed a discrepency.

Thanks. I really enjoy this group, in case you couldn't tell!

Pollux
07-01-2003, 00:00
"Date Registered: 10-02-2002"
Ths is what I see. And it is consistent with the small tag you get below your name, that says "Feb 2002". I don't understand why you mention September actually... Probably the "error" stems from the fact you are considering a different set of dates? dd/mm/yy instead of mm/dd/yy?

I COULD tell you love this group. and I DO love you posts. :)

Jeannette
07-01-2003, 00:05
The source of the confusion probably lies in the date system. Those of us in the U.S. are used to seeing the month number first. In fact, the Aeclectic system displays the day number first -- the dating system common in much of the rest of the world. So, Ophiel, Pollux would be correct -- according to the Aeclectic system, your membership enrollment is dated February of 2002, not September or October. Ergo, the .92 calculation is probably correct.

-- Jeannette
http://www.tarotgarden.com

Ophiel
07-01-2003, 00:44
That's it! I'm reading the date wrong...that'll show me, questioning a computer...Case solved.

Thanks
Ophiel