Help with phrasing a question

Qofcups

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'll give it a shot.

I've asked my cousin to do a reading for me, but since she is a pretty new reader I want to make sure that I phrase my question in way that isn't confusing. Basically, I want some information to help me decide whether or not I should go to a HS reunion that is coming up. I want to avoid or yes or no question, but all I can come up with is, "Should I go to the reunion?" or "What can I expect if I go/do not go to the reunion".

What do you think?

goddessof1967

That second question sounds really good. It can have 2 parts to it, like you say.
a) What can I expect if I go?
b) What can I expect if I don't go?

And because she is a newie, no more than 3 cards per part. Even one card could give you a clear answer.

Have fun!

Qofcups

That's perfect! I always overthink my spreads and end up with so many positions, but I don't want to overwhelm her. Thanks.

afrosaxon

I was taught that when phrasing a question, definitely don't veer toward yes/no. Here are some phrasings I use (and was taught):

--what are the energies surrounding...
--what is/would be the outcome of...
--what do I need to know about...
--how could/should I...

goddess made a good point: flip the yes/no questions into two separate questions: one for yes and one for know, using a more open-ended phrasing.

Good luck!

T.

Grizabella

I think there's a tendency, especially when folks are new to Tarot, toward thinking that if you make up questions for every single teensy weensy aspect of a situation that you can possibly think of, you'll come out with not only your most precise answer because you won't miss anything, but that you're going to find the cards easier to read. Quite the contrary happens. What you get is such a bunch of conflicting and confusing cards that it's just a mess. There's no easy way. You just have to keep your spread small and then work for your answers.

But when I say "work", I don't mean overthink the cards. Often the very first thought that enters your mind about a card is the message that's there for you and then you just go from there to let yourself find the rest of the clues. Don't dismiss that first thought, whatever you do, even if it seems to have no relevance and is outlandish. But don't expect that you'll always have a bing, boom, bang reading in rapid succession through the cards because you do want to take your time and let them speak.

Small spreads can seem like more work because a) when you're new, you don't always hear that first impression and let it register and b) it's work to just take your time to see what the cards say. To let yourself search for symbols and make connections takes some thought and time it's easy to be too lazy to do that. It's a tendency to want to keep throwing cards to try to get answers without working so hard.