question about astrology

JennyM

I met someone online who is claiming to be a professional astrologer.

I don't know anything about astrology.

She asked me for my birthdate and place. Instead of giving that to her I found a site online, put in my birthdate and place...and gave her that information. I did NOT put in my birthtime and I chose 12 noon as the site recommended if someone doesn't know the time of birth.

So, this "chart" I got (and then gave to her) contained different things like...my venus is in cancer etc.

Now, she's claiming to know...from that information...that my 4th house is in Scorpio.

However, I've been reading online that one needs the time of birth to be able to figure out houses.

sapienza

I would say that because you chose 12 noon when you entered your details and then gave her the chart with the birth time as 12 noon, she is probably assuming that your birth time in 12 noon and going by that. You do need a time to work out houses, but the chart you gave her has a time of birth, being 12 noon. Can I ask, is there any reason you didn't want to put in your correct time of birth? If you don't want her to know the time of your birth then just say you don't know, rather than giving an incorrect time. Otherwise you're both going to end up very confused.

Best wishes.

JennyM

No..no reason. I just wasn't sure of the time.

What I'm saying is...what I gave here mentioned nothing of "houses". So, how did she determine that?

How does one determine the fourth house?

As you can see, I'm a bit suspicious of her.

This is what I used:

http://www.alabe.com/freechart/

If you do it, you'll see the amount of information given.

Moonmystic

I'm a little confused about what you are asking, however; Astrology is all about signs, planets and houses. The information she asked you for allows her to determine the houses in your personal chart and what planets are in them. Some people study astrology for their entire life, so the questions you are asking are bigger than a forum response. You need to do a bit of studying.

I think with some basic understanding of how astrology works, you'll be less suspicious of her. We tend to fear what we don't understand.

Here is a good link to a basic astrology lesson. If you'll spend an hour or two reading through it, you'll understand better how this person knew the information she gave you.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/learn-astrology/astrology-lessons.php

JennyM

"The information she asked you for allows her to determine the houses in your personal chart"

Ok..that's what I wanted to know. Thank you.

franniee

When you gave her the chart with the time 12noon it set up the houses according to the incorrect time. You can't set up a chart without a time... so by putting 12 down that was the time.

Venus in cancer or the moon in taurus is set by your birthdate, but the rising sign and houses are based upon the time and place - that sets the chart up. It is important that it be accurate. It is very significant to know if venus is in cancer in your first house or the moon is on your descendent! or whatever.

Astrology is an exact science and needs precise information. If you do not trust her then go to someone else but they will ask the same question - date time place of birth - some people even want the minutes and seconds of the time of birth. :)

Moonmystic

You are very welcome. Pay attention to what Franniee just told you though. If you really want to see your very own chart, your astrologer needs to know your "exact" moment of birth so she can tell you what planets where visible in the sky at the moment you were born. You can't know your rising sign without knowing the moment you were born (what sign was on the horizon when you were born).

Have fun! Take the first step to learn a bit about it and you may begin a fascinating journey that goes with you throughout your entire lifetime.

JennyM

Just to be clear...

I did NOT tell her 12:00 PM. I just gave her the information the website gave me when I entered 12:00 PM.

So, did she figure out 12 noon from that?

I'm suspicious because she said that she reads cards...but I got the impression that she was "cutting and pasting" from a book.

Minderwiz

If you gave her the correct place and the correct date and the correct planetary positions for 12 noon taken from the website (even if you did not tell her what time was used) it is quite easy to work out the time, especially if the website gave you the positions to the nearest second. Indeed you only need to have given the correct placements of the Sun and Moon for this to be done.

If you take today (29th August 2008)as an example, at 00:00 GMT the Moon was at 12 Leo 25 mins 20 secs. At 00:00 tomorrow the Moon is at 26 Leo 21 mins 49 secs, so today the Moon will travel 13 degrees, 56 mins and 28 secs, simple maths will give it's position at any moment of the day, and, alternatively, given it's position (at any time today), simple maths will give the time.

No doubt she will have double checked by repeating this process for Sun, Mercury and Venus (almost certainly using a computer). Once she has established that the positions are those at 12 noon she can automatically read the house positions from her computer.

The small thing that concerns me, is that having realised the time of the chart was 12 noon, that she didn't ask you whether this was a genuinely accurate time or simply an estimate. I'd certainly do that for any birth quoted as an exact hour - and quoted times of 12 noon or dawn are frequently evidence that the day is right but the client has no idea at all of the time.

I do agree with one of the comments above, It is far better to be up front and say that you don't know what the time was, or given an estimate based on parents or other relatives recollections, than give a misleading time.

Bernice

If you gave her your birthdate (day, month, year) and your location at birth (Lat. & Long), and you led her to believe that the Time was 12 noon. She would draw up a chart according to that information.

I don't understand why you entered your birth-data into an online astro-site instead of giving to her direct. If the astro-site was set-up & calculated for a 12 noon birth-time and you gave her those details, then she would do a chart for the data as given.

You could instead, get a freeware astrological program, enter your birth-data details and it would display your chart. Then you could compare that chart with any other charts you may have been given.

Bee :)

P.S. Jenny, your 4th House can't be in Scorpio.