Warning Rant Ahead: Ebay Alerts on AT

Satori

I have discussed this with other AT friends and now I'm going live on it. Why oh why do people here who have no intention of ever EVER ever bidding on a deck over on ebay delight in coming here to AT to announce that the deck is up for bid over there?

Do you not get the idea of an auction? Do you not understand that maybe just maybe you are driving up the price of the deck by coming here and announcing that there is a Greenwood or an Esoteric Twiddly Schnooker up for auction on ebay? Are you on the payroll of the person selling the deck? Do you get a commission when you come here to advertise the sale? No?

Oh, so one of your AT buddies might be interested in the deck right? Let me introduce you to a little feature called a PM. Did you know you can actually write to one or more people privately? It's a nice feature that Solandia came out with many moons ago....Private Messaging.

I know some of you think this is the nice thing to do. But if you are actually planning to bid on the deck, or wow, what a thought, you actually did bid on the deck, would you still come over here and post about it? Ahhh, no I think not. You wouldn't want a million people racing to the deck and putting in a bid, driving up the price, and then you drop out and leave it to the folks with the cash.

Just my own pet peeve. I'm done now. If I have offended you, and you are one of the people I'm talking about....Stop it! ;)

Hooked on TdM

Satori said:
Do you not understand that maybe just maybe you are driving up the price of the deck by coming here and announcing that... ...Stop it! ;)

Hey Satori. I did this with the Vieville. I never thought of that though! I'm really new to ebay and still figuring out how it all works, so thanks! :) *I'm still going to point out the crazy overpriced ones though! ;)*

Hooked

Abrac

I guess it all depends on which side you're on. If you're a seller you probably don't mind at all. :laugh: But I know from experience that a mention here doesn't necessarily mean the price will go up. You might end up with 20 people watching but not a single bidder, just curiosity seekers. I try to refrain from talking too much about eBay listings here, but occasionally I'll mention one if the price is already sky-high anyway.

Sinduction

I like seeing the outrageous prices! :D Or the "haunted" ones.

But yeah, I can see how it might annoy.

Umbrae

I'm with Satori.

However there is entertainment value in watching folks stirr up the sharks, get them into a feeding frenzy...and THEN complain they can't go swimming.
...can't help but wonder sometimes...

Anam Cara

I could be wrong (my memory seems to fail me
more and more lately!!) but I'm pretty sure the
only ebay auction I've "announced" here on AT was
an auction for a one-of-a-kind Tarot made by our
very own Chronata...

I was HOPING to drive the price up!! :heart::D:heart:

Otherwise, I'm with you on this one Satori!
:love:cara

Satori

anam_chara said:
I could be wrong (my memory seems to fail me
more and more lately!!) but I'm pretty sure the
only ebay auction I've "announced" here on AT was
an auction for a one-of-a-kind Tarot made by our
very own Chronata...

I was HOPING to drive the price up!! :heart::D:heart:

Otherwise, I'm with you on this one Satori!
:love:cara

LOL, yes that is fair game! And I wasn't thinking of you, or anyone in particular actually!!! I'm not that bad! ;) So did it work for Chronata? Did it drive the price up???

Anam Cara

Satori said:
LOL, yes that is fair game! And I wasn't thinking of you, or anyone in particular actually!!! I'm not that bad! ;) So did it work for Chronata? Did it drive the price up???
Oh!! I wasn't thinking you meant any one in particular!!
But I knew I had done it and had to fess up!! ;)

If memory serves, I think there was a bit of bidding frenzy
over Chronata's deck - I remember it was unfortunately
out of my range at the time! - but it was fun to watch
the price go up!
:heart:cara

ZenMusic

I made several purchases on eBay that I would have missed if they had not been mentioned here (the best purchase of my life, was a mislabeled deck, someone here asked for help identifying)... even though i check ebay daily, so I've appreciated the tips.. sometimes it's a matter of timing , if the item just added has a Buy It Now price (like a recent Greenwood), I might have missed the item by some hours without the tip

and now there are two Parrott decks on eBay , that several people have been searching for here... better that someone find them

MysticalMoose

I did it too a few weeks ago regarding the Medieval Enchantment, really because I know that a couple of people mentioned that they would like one & couldnt get one. but I couldnt for the life of me remember who & I didnt have the time to trawl thru hundreds of threads..sorry if that offended..there was no bidding war anyway, someone got a bargain :)