PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tarot pairs

allibee
08-01-2003, 22:27
Hi peeps

I recently added a new section to my journal not surprisingly called 'interesting pairs', as many cards reinforce another either positively or negatively.

Stating straight off that we all are unlikely to agree on the exact same meanings for each card or pair so this is obviously quite basic, I'd like to start the ball rolling and hope you all have the time to add your own observations.

7 Swords + Magician - now there is a shady pair that would worry me!

Emperor + Chariot - major control freak

9 Swords + Moon - Are you making mountains out of molehills?

5 Cups + 2 Wands - time to confront, reassess, let go and move on

4 Swords + Star - time out to heal and recuperate and gather your thoughts

4 Cups + Moon - depression

5 Cups + Judgment - absolve yourself, and others, seek closure

10 wands + Devil really made a rod for your own back

8 Wands + Tower - time to don a crash helmet and take cover *LOL*

I look forward to hearing your interesting pairs

allibee

Silverlotus
09-01-2003, 00:39
Although I've never had it come up in a reading, I've often thought my two favorite cards make a rather interesting pair:
3 of Swords and 9 of Pentacles

The rewards of hard work come with heart ache. Sometimes I wonder if that's the theme of my life.

Alex
09-01-2003, 12:51
Chariot + Tower: car crash

Death + Devil: going straight to hell

JC
09-01-2003, 18:28
The 3 of swords (surgery) and the Empress (motherhood) as the final outcome in a romance spread. It was for a friend who was infertile. The outcome hasn't happened yet, but I still think she's going to have an operation that lets her have a baby.

Moongold
09-01-2003, 19:16
7 Cups and the Moon

So far away from reality.

Moongold

juice
09-01-2003, 21:59
So far away from reality could also be 6 of cups + moon or 6 of cups + star or 6 of cups + devil

allibee
12-01-2003, 00:29
I was also thinking of 6 cups in the context of rememberance:

6 Cups + Devil - An old dependant relationship rears its ugly head

6 Cups + Emperor - thinking of your father maybe

6 Cups + Sun - yay ... wasn't if fun being a kid

6 Cups + Hierophant - old teacher/ being at school

Seperately,

8 Cups + 5 Cups - reassess what you don't need anymore and leave it behind

allibee

WallyTuggs
20-01-2003, 21:48
page of wands + fool - major inmaturity towards change
(same goes for any page + fool combo)

death + 5 of cups - the total end of something but the severe yearning to have it back

Baneemy
27-01-2003, 05:48
Hierophant + Chariot = Popemobile!

Alta
27-01-2003, 07:35
Originally posted by allibee
9 Swords + Moon psychosomatic illness

Good thread alibee. Darn, I had a couple of real eyebrow raising pairs lately, but can I remember them? ... nooooo.

ZazaZ
27-01-2003, 15:24
The Moon + Ten of Swords

"You definitely should go!"

:eek:

tarotbear
28-01-2003, 05:42
Part of my book deals with Tarot Combinations. Here are some notes about the Fool card:

"When the Fool precedes a powerful, materialistic card ( such as the Wheel, or Devil), the qualities of the Fool are canceled out."

"The Fool preceeding the Chariot represents important news is coming."

"If the Fool precedes the Hermit a secret is safely being kept; if the Fool follows the Hermit something kept secret will be brought out into the open."

"The Fool preceeding the Sun means happiness, enjoyment, and order coming from an unexpected source."

Celtic_Dragon
29-01-2003, 02:05
Originally posted by Silverlotus
Although I've never had it come up in a reading, I've often thought my two favorite cards make a rather interesting pair:
3 of Swords and 9 of Pentacles

The rewards of hard work come with heart ache. Sometimes I wonder if that's the theme of my life.

That brings up a question, I wonder what everyone's favorite cards would pair up to be? And if the pair is consituted by the images or the meanings?

My are b/c of the images & a little of meaning, priestess + strength, moon + page of wands.

shoot! it's been months since I've delt with my cards(or posted), um.....*blushes* would anyone mind giving a meaning for the two pairs?

northsea
19-08-2004, 01:10
Bumping this one because this is mainly how I read the cards (in 2-card combinations).

Magician (reversed) modified by Fool (reversed) = trickery, deceit

Magician (upright) modified by Fool (upright) = boundless creativity

What are some others?

SongDeva
19-08-2004, 04:41
Originally posted by JC
The 3 of swords (surgery) and the Empress (motherhood) as the final outcome in a romance spread. It was for a friend who was infertile. The outcome hasn't happened yet, but I still think she's going to have an operation that lets her have a baby.

Or a cesarian section.

maria42airam
23-08-2004, 20:50
9 of swords / 7 of pentacles ( I know the JB suggested meaning of the 7 of pentacles is a assessment, but I always see this guy as sleeping on the job. Maybe it comes from being a govenment employee. LOL )

3 of pentacles / 5 of swords ( teamwork vs. doing it all yourself )

3 of cups / 5 of wands ( both sides of the playground )

Maria

anubis
23-08-2004, 23:30
Originally posted by Alex
Chariot + Tower: car crash

Death + Devil: going straight to hell

that makes me laughed my arse off...

6 of wands + 6 of disks = inevitable victory

Flavio
24-08-2004, 00:25
Lovers RX + Ace of Cups = Fight with girlfriend/boyfriend, expect tears and emotions out of control.

Ace
27-08-2004, 11:24
Originally posted by Celtic_Dragon
That brings up a question, I wonder what everyone's favorite cards would pair up to be? And if the pair is consituted by the images or the meanings?
My are b/c of the images & a little of meaning, priestess + strength, moon + page of wands.

I almost ALWAYS base my interp on the pictures, which is why I must ask: which deck are you thinking of here? I would say that pristess+strength, is using the rules to get your way. THe High Priestess (IMHO) is usually using what she knows (inner knowledge maybe but using it to bring reality to bear) and the Strength card is getting what you want. I might find this combo a bit manipulative. Moon and Page of Wands is talking about what you are going to do next, but not doing it yet. If I was reading someone and that pair came up, I would say shut up and put up. Or if you can't/won't just shut up, please.

Ace
27-08-2004, 11:27
Originally posted by northsea
Magician (reversed) modified by Fool (reversed) = trickery, deceit

Magician (upright) modified by Fool (upright) = boundless creativity

I like these! Also RX: magician is not getting what you want (and whining about it), and (Fool) refusing to organize yourself enough to get it. While upright could be, taking it on the road: lots of ideas and starting in to see what works!

I usually pull three cards for quick answers, I might try pairs instead.

cartarum
29-08-2004, 07:59
i agree completely on your interpretations on the pairs. nice work.
what do you think about this pair?
world reversed- magician?
or wheel- hanged man?
any thoughts?

Sar
03-12-2007, 01:55
That would have been interesting to know.

ana luisa
03-12-2007, 03:29
world Rx - magician - a very attractive man and highly skillful will show up and turn your world upside down

wheel - hanged man - a major change in your life will force you to see things in a totaly different way or will force you to make certain sacrifices

Grizabella
03-12-2007, 04:54

These two could also mean that she'll have a child eventually but it will be a c-section. That would depend on why she's considered to be infertile, of course. Maybe with invitro she could be implanted with an embryo and carry it to term and the Swords indicate the medical procedure. Or maybe the delivery would be by c-section.

balenciaga
04-12-2007, 01:33
When I pull the celestials next to courts-

Star and sun: someone is passing into the next world.

Moon and Sun: someone with unstable moods, bipolar.

obsidian_queen
04-12-2007, 03:26
And I've mentioned this a while back in another thread:
3 cups + 5 wands = aggressive flirting i.e. pinching, grabbing, slapping the butt...all in good fun and appears to be good natured but underneath the sparks are really flying.

Kobarot
04-12-2007, 11:48

hah! I like that.

7 of Pents and The Hanged Man: In limbo, waiting

8 of Cups, 5 of Cups, 3 of Swords: Ouch!

Furnacechant
04-12-2007, 12:05
7 of Pents and The Hanged Man: In limbo, waiting

How would you interpret this if they are reversed? Because I got that, twice, today...Maybe I am just feeling impatient but still have to wait anyway? I guess that's the least negative possibility...

Kobarot
04-12-2007, 13:25
I don't know! Perhaps that the waiting is about to end?

Glass Owl
04-07-2009, 10:31
Just bumping up this old thread which I found very interesting.

In a few of my reading lately I have been drawn to putting two cards down for each position.

nisaba
04-07-2009, 11:02
what do you think about this pair?
or wheel- hanged man?

The Hanged Man is held back from taking any action in the world and in his life. He is resigned to being ineffective, to being out of the loop for the time being. In the meantime, life goes on, the Wheel keeps turning, stuff happens without his input. All he can do is watch, learn and wait to act later on when he is free to do so.

balenciaga
04-07-2009, 21:23
yeah, wheel + hanged man sounds like - "things are changing and there is nothing I can do about it"
also sounds like: An opportunity arrives, but one feels impotent, holds back from taking advantage of it.

.traveller.
06-07-2009, 01:47
4 of Pentacles/9 of Cups: Hold out for what you really want.
Knight of Swords/7 of Cups: Avoid being sidetracked by distractions.

DevilishAngel
10-08-2009, 19:23
I wasn't sure what to think about this pair...
Tower and Death??
Lots a change!

nisaba
10-08-2009, 19:28
Tower first and Death after?

I'd be advising them not to get out of bed that morning. Seriously. It might be a good idea to have a suitcase packed and keep a low profile.

Death first and Tower after?

You put too much faith in the solidity of the status quo - sooner or later you'll learn that, in the immortal words of the poet Laurence Binyon, "Nothing is certain, only the certain Spring." Learn to accept change, even if you cannot learn to like it.

Someone once asked within earshot of me: what would happen if The Empress and the High Priestess were flatmates (or in American roommates)? I know how I think these two very different female archetypes would react if they were thoroughly modern women and had to share space: what do other people think?

DevilishAngel
10-08-2009, 19:30
Tower first and Death after?

I'd be advising them not to get out of bed that morning. Seriously. It might be a good idea to have a suitcase packed and keep a low profile.

Death first and Tower after?

You put too much faith in the solidity of the status quo - sooner or later you'll learn that, in the immortal words of the poet Laurence Binyon, "Nothing is certain, only the certain Spring." Learn to accept change, even if you cannot learn to like it.
Hmm actually I think it was The Tower before Death.

Fabiannemo
11-08-2009, 08:01
i got one! which came up in a reading this past weekend.

Ace of Pentacles + Tower = unstable finances and trouble with the Bank.

obeygravity
11-08-2009, 08:15
Someone once asked within earshot of me: what would happen if The Empress and the High Priestess were flatmates (or in American roommates)? I know how I think these two very different female archetypes would react if they were thoroughly modern women and had to share space: what do other people think?

I feel like this could actually be women who could become the best of friends or the worst of enemies. Someone who goes almost purely by what their head says versus someone who's driven by their heart ... could definitely make for some interesting situations. But over all I think they'd end up learning a lot from one another. Maybe eventually learning how to create a better balance between their head and their heart.

nisaba
11-08-2009, 08:43
I feel like this could actually be women who could become the best of friends or the worst of enemies.
<grin> One would be neat, while the other drapes bras over rails in the bathroom and drops undies in the hall, one would be trying to meditate while the other one entertains men in the next bedroom with the music on ...

obeygravity
11-08-2009, 09:03
<grin> One would be neat, while the other drapes bras over rails in the bathroom and drops undies in the hall, one would be trying to meditate while the other one entertains men in the next bedroom with the music on ...

Haha, it actually kind of reminds me of the kind of relationship I have with one of my roommates. She's definitely more of the High Priestess, while I'm significantly more of an Empress kind of girl (though sometimes the HP can show up every once in a while for me as well). We tend to get along pretty well, probably because I get driven by really weird whimsies - I tend to bake a lot when I'm agitated or incredibly excited, and am constantly trying to feed everyone which is probably why she puts up with my sometimes messiness hahaha

nisaba
11-08-2009, 09:12
- I tend to bake a lot when I'm agitated or incredibly excited,
<approvingly> that's an Empress thing, what with her ties to fertility and therefore grain, plus food generally, plus nurturing.

obeygravity
11-08-2009, 09:31
<approvingly> that's an Empress thing, what with her ties to fertility and therefore grain, plus food generally, plus nurturing.

Haha, yeah, that's definitely me. I'm quite the homebody and always looking for new recipes to try out. She's definitely more of the head driven person, though and by far the neater between the two of us hahaha

LotusSong
11-08-2009, 17:35
Some interesting pairs I've come across...

Temperance + Five of Pentacles (As I was trying to interpret a dream no less!)

Ten of Pentacles + Queen of Swords

Ten of Swords + Tower (Since the first word that came into my mind when I drew the Tower for clarification was "epiphany" I still believe this means a sudden realization will cause them to cut off and leave behind a piece of themself, but that has yet to pass...)

Three of Cups + Five of Cups (There's something significant in the RWS symbolism of three cups being held up in the first card and three cups being overturned in the second, but their meaning still escapes me...)

balenciaga
11-08-2009, 23:25
Temperance + Five of Pentacles

This strikes me as taking medicine (temperance) for an illness (physical disability/5P)- could be as harmless as aspirin for a headache.

alice_addams
14-08-2009, 02:39
Page of Cups + 10 of Swords
Receiving news that puts an end to your current plans.

ETA:
Wheel of Fortune + The Devil rx
Getting rid of bad habits or addictions.

DevilishAngel
14-08-2009, 02:41
I tend to bake a lot when I'm agitated or incredibly excited
LOL I do the same thing...and I also need music :D

victoria.star
14-08-2009, 03:52
Oh, the Empress and the High Priestess already are roommates in my house--both living in my own head!!
How they argue over cleaning issues ("clean the floor," commands the HP. "but why," questions the Empress, "it will just get walked on again.")
Lovely couple.

casia
19-08-2009, 04:15
5 of pents and the 8 of cups...... Crisis and disaster over a relationship that gives to little to be worth it......

Sar
26-08-2009, 06:05
Ace of pents + The Star = Money from heaven.

nisaba
26-08-2009, 07:22
I like the thought of Tarot "marriages": what would happen if you paired up

The Emperor and Empress?
The Hierophant and High Priestess?
The Emperor and High Priestess?
The Pope and Empress?
The Pope and the Chariot?
The World and the Empress?
The Pope and the Devil?

casia
27-08-2009, 01:49
I like the thought of Tarot "marriages": what would happen if you paired up

The Emperor and Empress?
The Hierophant and High Priestess?
The Emperor and High Priestess?
The Pope and Empress?
The Pope and the Chariot?
The World and the Empress?
The Pope and the Devil?

The book of Jodorowsky has very interesting information on relationship pairs for the Major Arcana........

Lumen
27-08-2009, 02:44
My interesting pair: Justice + Moon = ending illusions, while being intuitive and practical.

Lumen

yaraluna
30-08-2009, 12:00

ROFLAO!!!!! :D

casia
06-09-2009, 02:42
5s and The Devil = feeling defeated and chained to your passions?

casia
06-09-2009, 02:47
Tower and page of wands = very important news!!!!

Filipa
15-12-2009, 01:08
bumping this thread to see other ideas
i'm trying to study combinations :)
so far i can give an example that happened, i drawn the cards and thought it was something completely diferent

2 Cups rx + Hermit - helping a friend with marital problems

Fostha
15-12-2009, 01:33
I'll give this a try.
8 pents~6 pents.
Put enough time and effort into doing a job properly,and you'll be able to see all the deserving ones get what's rightfully coming to them.

Fostha
15-12-2009, 01:41
4 wands~queen pents
The main solid stable foundation for a home is not bricks and mortar,its unconditional love.

Fostha
15-12-2009, 03:29
King of swords~high priestess
when one has profound knowledge,but the other is simply 'knowing'.

shadowmon
15-12-2009, 07:50
great thread..what about the devil with the empress overtop it as for how your love life will be in the near future :O

Fostha
15-12-2009, 08:22
great thread..what about the devil with the empress overtop it as for how your love life will be in the near future :O
LOL...sounds good....but ...i think the devil with the queen of wands overtop is the better option......the empress will probably prefer to have a headache.:D

Miss Divine
15-12-2009, 08:50
Tower and page of wands = very important news!!!!

I had this combination for shocking unexpected news (very bad news which caused lots of grief).

Nytebugg
15-12-2009, 10:15
And I've mentioned this a while back in another thread:
3 cups + 5 wands = aggressive flirting i.e. pinching, grabbing, slapping the butt...all in good fun and appears to be good natured but underneath the sparks are really flying.
well that explains so much. :D

Fostha
15-12-2009, 18:29
9 swords~hermit
dont waste time sitting up all night worrying,look and listen carefully and you'll find all the answers have been found in here.

The Fish
15-12-2009, 23:46
Three of Cups + Five of Cups (There's something significant in the RWS symbolism of three cups being held up in the first card and three cups being overturned in the second, but their meaning still escapes me...)[/QUOTE]

A night out that leads to regret - a hangover, or having done something whist intoxicated that now you wish you hadn't?

The Fish
15-12-2009, 23:48
...or feeling loss at the ending of the good times; when you've had a real good time but now it's over you feel loss and loneliness?

Fostha
16-12-2009, 00:16
Emperor~6 cups
Its good to feel like youre in control,just dont forget the 'really' important parts of your 'old days,'

Fostha
16-12-2009, 03:39
Three of Cups + Five of Cups (There's something significant in the RWS symbolism of three cups being held up in the first card and three cups being overturned in the second, but their meaning still escapes me...)

A night out that leads to regret - a hangover, or having done something whist intoxicated that now you wish you hadn't?[/QUOTE]
*chortles*
Yeah.... like maybe someone thought it seemed like a good idea to 'try and raise 3 cups'(maybe with the wrong choice of company) because then in the 5,that's when he really looks like he regrets attempting it,as he's stood looking at the 3 of them,on the floor, with all there
'contents' spilt out.
Obviously hasn't got a steady hand. :)

Fostha
16-12-2009, 19:40
5 pents~king cups. ;)

Someones feeling abandoned,only thing they got under control is their emotions,they'd have easily lost their Head by now.....if it hadn't have been screwed on. :)

Gloria Jean
17-12-2009, 07:33
I did a reading for a guy with these two cards:

Four of swords, five of pentacles.

He had gone to jail and had no money for bail, he lost his job.

Then the tower turned up.

Poor guy.

I told him something positive.

"It can't get too much worse than this, so it has to get better from here." LOL

Fostha
17-12-2009, 08:11
I did a reading for a guy with these two cards:

Four of swords, five of pentacles.

He had gone to jail and had no money for bail, he lost his job.

Then the tower turned up.

Poor guy.

I told him something positive.

"It can't get too much worse than this, so it has to get better from here." LOL

Im real suprised the tower didn't show up first here,would make much more sense wouldn't it.;)
I've always loved to see the tower,as unexpected as it's been whenever it's appeared,i've always found it's really helped me to make sense of whats really important and what isn't,and i seem to get a real sense of de-termination from it when i see it.
I hope it gets better from here for him too,my lifes certainly improved immensely since that card first showed up.:)

The Fish
08-02-2010, 01:29
Just got 8 wands - 3 cups, and thought, time flies by when you're having fun!
xx

margee
24-06-2010, 10:25
Hi,

I recently had a very successful (though very upsetting) reading - an accident on or near water. Today I did a "retrospective" reading, changing the layout of the Celtic Cross because the original layout was "bugging me". Everything then became crystal clear, step-by-step to what happened. After considering each individual card I gradually pieced it all together, i.e. knight of cups (a boat); 8 pentacles (my husband working on the boat; 6 swords (the boat was in the water); Ace of Pentacles - a "missile"; Ace of cups - something containing liquid (the gas bottle!); Tower (the explosion); Sun (my husband - "Dad" because the original reading was for our son - my husband, luckily, had come back home doing a job for me after I had nagged him); the 9 pentacles stopped me in my tracks - I had once used "balloons" as one of the explanations of the pentacles - and then the "eureka" moment - debris (from the explosion) which caused his friend to have eye injuries (an eye injury had appeared in a previous reading which had also referred to the same accident on water); the chariot (along with the 6 swords) "boat" - and followed by the High Priestess (the Tarot reader - and "Mum") My husband, incidentally, was doing woodwork on the boat; the explosion had nothing to do with him! His friend, as we speak, only lost some of his sight - thank God - and is still recovering. An extremely lucky man who could easily have been killed! Had my husband been on the boat, he would have been on the floor doing woodwork right above the explosion. I thank God I nagged him that day!

Despite the horror story I thought it was probably the most accurate reading ever!

Suffice to say, I am extremely careful examining the cards now - especially when the Tower shows itself!

Marg

Gloria Jean
25-06-2010, 03:03
That's very interesting. I'm doing an in depth study of the tower and the many different meanings it might have in combination with other cards.

I would like to know how you interpreted the knight of cups as a boat and the ace of pentacles as a missile.

margee
25-06-2010, 09:23
Hello Jenny,

Gosh I have been doing the Tarot since the late 70's. Trial and error, research etc. One thing that I only realised today - because, as I said the original reading was a different CC layout - was the fact that the Sun card was followed by the Tower "EXPLOSIVE SITUATIONS AROUND A FATHER FIGURE!" Thankfully the first time that particular combination has ever appeared. I also have over 70 Tarot books - and have been especially interested in Tarot combinations for many years - something I have found a lot of Tarot readers don't use! After laying the cards out I then followed each card in succession. I already knew the Ace of Pentacles with the Tower was "ballistics" so then looking at the following card, the Ace of Cups, realised that the cups, being a "container" for liquids - and gas being a liquid - suddenly made sense to me! Also, as I said, I was confused with regard to the 9 of Pentacles - and then figured out it must have been debris from the explosion - which injured my husband's friend!

Regards

Marg

psha85
26-06-2010, 15:56
Hi-

I am having trouble interpreting the advice of the following reading so just wondering if some experts here could help me out? My question was if I start initiating more contact with the guy I like if things would get better between us (it's a really complicated situation but he has dropped several hints he wants to be pursued in a relationship.. initially he was pursuing me but it seems like now he wants me to do it). I got the following (I guess this can be interpreted past-present-future reading):

1st card: 10 of swords
2nd card: 9 of wands
3rd card: Page of wands
4th card (I asked for an overall gist of the reading): The Devil

Now, I would interpret this to mean that I should persevere despite obstacles and take assertive action (maybe even in a creative way?) so that I don't let this situation or person control me and what I want to do. Am I on the right track??

Please let me know your insights. Thanks!!

*Pooja*

mechantfemme
27-06-2010, 10:28
I feel like this could actually be women who could become the best of friends or the worst of enemies. Someone who goes almost purely by what their head says versus someone who's driven by their heart ...

Definitely me and my best friend.... Living together didn't work out though. Haha.

Luna_Star
27-06-2010, 10:34
I had an interesting one come up:

World + Tower = my world's crashing down?

Gloria Jean
27-06-2010, 17:10
I had an interesting one come up:

World + Tower = my world's crashing down?

I wouldn't say that. But I would say that you are leaving one phase and you will be going into another one.

The past is gone. Nothing you can do about that. It may seem like "your world" but the truth is that the past does not exist.

It is better to live in the light, and know the truth.

That would be my reading.

Gloria Jean
27-06-2010, 17:24
Hi-

I am having trouble interpreting the advice of the following reading so just wondering if some experts here could help me out? My question was if I start initiating more contact with the guy I like if things would get better between us (it's a really complicated situation but he has dropped several hints he wants to be pursued in a relationship.. initially he was pursuing me but it seems like now he wants me to do it). I got the following (I guess this can be interpreted past-present-future reading):

1st card: 10 of swords
2nd card: 9 of wands
3rd card: Page of wands
4th card (I asked for an overall gist of the reading): The Devil

Now, I would interpret this to mean that I should persevere despite obstacles and take assertive action (maybe even in a creative way?) so that I don't let this situation or person control me and what I want to do. Am I on the right track??

Please let me know your insights. Thanks!!

*Pooja*

The devil represents a master-slave relationship and bondage to material things. It can also mean a relationship that plays games of control. I cringe when I read your question because it sounds so much like some kind of game you and he are playing.

The ten of swords is the woe is me card, depicting an ending or depression. The nine of wands tells you to be alert for the next challenge (probably in the game he is playing.) Page of wands hints that someone needs to love themself a little more, perhaps a case of low self esteem.

You have to make your own decisions, but the devil advises that you give up self defeating behaviors, bad habits, and negative thinking if you want to improve your situation.

Being attached to the outcome is what places you in bondage. You can defeat these patterns with the power of your imagination and your will. Use it to take you in a new direction and free yourself from worrying about it. Stop playing games. Either you guys like each other or you don't. Stop wasting time. Be direct about it.

psha85
28-06-2010, 04:16
Jenny_writer: This makes perfect sense, actually. And this helps me learn how to interpret the cards more accurately. Thanks so much for your helpful interpretation/advice!

*P*

hopena
28-06-2010, 14:24
Two of Pentacles + Three of Swords = Having to make a heartbreaking decision.

Two of Cups + The Lovers (Ace of Cups had appeared earlier that day) = Someone who was interested in me, contacting me.

Three of Swords + The Tower (Question: "What can I expect from X?) = Shocking and heartbreaking news. Definitely deal-breaker.

I wish I'd kept better notes over the past few years. I'll look through my old tarot journal.

hopena
28-06-2010, 14:27
A triple-carder that came up for what I needed to know about someone, after the deal-breaker mentioned above, came out, and I was a little concerned about their state of mind:

Three of Swords, The Moon, Justice.

I wasn't sure whether or not they were depressed over their own choice, or if they actually thought I was being unfair. The Moon comes up for depression for me, but has come up a couple of times for confusion.

Two of Cups + Four of Pentacles ("What do I need to know about X?" after we'd not been speaking for a month, and I felt both a surge in anger and the butterflies that hit me when he was about to contact me - as with the Two of Cups + The Lovers) = He contacted me later on the same day.

The World + The Empress = Not needing anyone but myself.

Gloria Jean
29-06-2010, 13:50
The magician and the tower, the power for causing change by taking action.

carcinya
29-06-2010, 16:57
4 of Pentacles + Tower + Fool = Stop clinging to false or outdated ideas and take a leap of faith!

Happened to me two days ago.

Gloria Jean
30-06-2010, 00:42
4 of Pentacles + Tower + Fool = Stop clinging to false or outdated ideas and take a leap of faith!

Happened to me two days ago.

Very good. When you cling to something you always seem to live in fear of losing it. That is the same as visualizing or worrying that you will lose it, which is praying that you will lose it.

I can have 20 pens and I will always lose my favorite one, because I cling to it and treat it differently. The ones I throw around carelessly are always there. LOL

Luna_Star
06-07-2010, 01:25
Judgement + 10 of Swords

Rising up to a challenge while putting an end to any negative thinking, refusing to be stressed and worried....

Gloria Jean
07-07-2010, 03:05
The Tower and the Three of Cups:

Changing the Group Dynamic, or a Change of Plans
(INFINITE VISIONS TAROT)

The tower coming first with the three of cups following represents sudden change in the group dynamic. It is not a business, but rather a close family group. It could also be a group of friends, or friends and family combined. What ever it is, there are emotions involved. Where there are emotions involved, there is likely to be some drama.
When melted together, these two cards are accidentally drawn at the same time. In this case, it is the group that experiences the sudden changes because of the revelations of the tower.

Sar
07-05-2011, 03:24

Loss of friendsship.

jenessa
09-05-2011, 11:29
Sar, many thanks for "bumping" this thread .. i'd never read it, but have learned alot from reading thru it .. and tho i use to read pairs when i 1st. started reading, i haven't utilized this technique for awhile .. so this has got me thinking!

Sar
23-05-2011, 21:52
3/Swords + The Tower.

It is over, get it!

Sar
01-06-2011, 22:48
Ace/wands + Death can mean a pregnancy.

Adriana
02-06-2011, 01:19
Lol, great thread:)

Hanged man + Tower= Finally something got that man down from that tree
Ace of wands + Wheel of Fortune= Recycling of paper
The Chariot + The Star= Spaceship
3 of cups + Temperance = Stop drinking too much
Ace of cups + The Hermit =Crush on the teacher
9 of cups + The devil= Self obsessed
Strength + Ace of pentacles= working with animals can be a new profession
Strength + Death= Working with animals can be dangerous
Knight of cups + 7 of swords= a player that says what you want to hear
Death + Wheel of Fortune= Reincarnation
Temperance + 10 of wands= Hitting on the bartender might be too much work
The Pope + The Devil= no good lol

rosegold
02-06-2011, 11:59
I've learned a lot from this thread so far. Wondering if anyone has any opinions on Justice + 7 of Cups. A verdict or outcome that isn't completely fair, but just looks that way on the surface? Or an outcome that's fair but doesn't seem so at first?

Aset
02-06-2011, 12:04
I've learned a lot from this thread so far. Wondering if anyone has any opinions on Justice + 7 of Cups. A verdict or outcome that isn't completely fair, but just looks that way on the surface? Or an outcome that's fair but doesn't seem so at first?

Perversion of the justice system/abuse of power within the legal system?

jayem
02-06-2011, 12:23
I got these 3 once in a 3-card draw on 'How can I achieve my desired outcome with being reunited with my ex?'

Death, The Devil, 3 of Swords.

I was puzzled at first and thought my emotions were toying with me, then it clicked: End the manipulation of his broken heart.

Tarot cards like to be very literal with me often.

Nightgarden
02-06-2011, 21:57
"8 of Swords" + "Knight of Swords"= "I come to your aid, Ma'am!!!"

and just drawn:

"7 of Cups" + "Magician"-someone will impress you with his/her skills, but seems to be more a stage magician! Maybe someone on the internet, for the "7 of Cups" looks a little bit like someone in front of a screen to me.
An enchanting meeting at the www!

Aset
03-06-2011, 06:57
Just got this pair and am a little perplexed:

Aeon/Judgement + Empress. A new mother? I know that's awfully uncreative, but I'm stumped on this combo.

rosegold
03-06-2011, 15:10

Aeon/Judgement + Empress. A new mother? I know that's awfully uncreative, but I'm stumped on this combo.

Hmmm...Probably a total stretch, but maybe it means resolving to be more motherly or nurturing from now on (as a way to make up for past neglect?).

Or maybe the cards represent a mother who is very forgiving? One who believes in giving others (or herself) second chances?

Just a few :lightbulbs.

YDM42
03-06-2011, 16:33

This speaks to spiritual gifts, usually when I pull the two together if listen, I will hear something.

Think of it as the intuition of a mother combined with spiritual understanding or call from above. A voice from within.

Let us know what you hear.

YDM42
03-06-2011, 16:36
I got these 3 once in a 3-card draw on 'How can I achieve my desired outcome with being reunited with my ex?'

Death, The Devil, 3 of Swords.

I was puzzled at first and thought my emotions were toying with me, then it clicked: End the manipulation of his broken heart.

Tarot cards like to be very literal with me often. Real Good, I can see the Devil making it out that the pain is more than it is.

YDM42
03-06-2011, 16:37

No clearly defined solution- because the truth is not clear on either side, its and illusion, how do you judge an illusion?

Aset
04-06-2011, 00:29
This speaks to spiritual gifts, usually when I pull the two together if listen, I will hear something.

Think of it as the intuition of a mother combined with spiritual understanding or call from above. A voice from within.

Let us know what you hear.

Interesting! How would you interpret them, then, between two people? A similar connection that they share?

Aset
04-06-2011, 00:31
No clearly defined solution- because the truth is not clear on either side, its and illusion, how do you judge an illusion?

I like this interpretation, as the truth is rarely black and white. I was originally thinking of the Thoth 7 of cups ("Debauch"), which is why I was thinking of some perverse element to it.

rosegold
04-06-2011, 01:45

This makes sense, especially in some courtroom situations. Perhaps neither side knows the real truth, but each side tries to convince the jury to believe a certain thing. (Maybe I've watched too many episodes of 48 Hours Mystery!)

And to Aset, thanks for your suggestions, too. Your deck has an interesting take on 7 of Cups that will probably be useful for me in some future reading, so thank you for sharing!

Anastacia
04-06-2011, 10:18
Justice and 7 of cups - when rosegold mentioned courtrooms I had this image of the courtroom dramas where the lawyer is addressing the jury. Those cups represent the jurors. Especially when the facts are clouded the lawyer needs to manipulate their emotions as he addresses them. And the choice of Jurors is like the 7 of cups too - I think both sides get to assess the potential jurors and decide whether or not they are eligible to sit on the jury based just on their appearance and what is known of their profile.
So Justice + 7 of cups = trial by jury.

rosegold
04-06-2011, 12:12
I like the interp, Anastacia! It makes a lot of sense to me when you put it that way. (Let's just hope I won't have to be involved in a Justice+7 of Cups any time soon, lol!)

jayem
04-06-2011, 14:16
When doing readings for my aunts party, a woman asked me if her daughter would ever conceive. I had no idea who this woman was, or what the situation was either.

Anyways, I drew The Magician and The Empress. I don't know why this jumped out at me, but when I immediately saw this combo I thought 'invitro'. I told the woman her daughter would have a baby, but it would take some sort of medical help, like through invitro or fertilization drugs. The woman told me her daughter had cancer 10 years back, and the doctors told her she would need medical help in ever achieving a pregnancy. Wish I could know if the cards came true or not.

YDM42
04-06-2011, 14:29
Interesting! How would you interpret them, then, between two people? A similar connection that they share?

Well to me that makes even more sense, because I often experince this combination in relationship situations, I will hear the other person either calling my name or giving me information. They share a connection, I would say a soul mate twin flame connection they have been here together before so are able to go deeper into one another intuition. In other words they can communicate with out words. This is the second go round for these two- and the empress indicates they are in the process of beginning the journey, since the relationship has not given birth, it is the womb phase, still protected and dependent up on spirit and the best part...it is yet to be born so there is still some memory of the other connection. I know I know..its sounds weird, but all I want the people to do who this reading refers to is "Listen" be still and they will hear it- they will hear the other person.

Aset
05-06-2011, 00:07
Thank you so much for your insight, YDM. It actually makes quite a lot of sense :)

xMoonlightx
07-06-2011, 11:14
heres some that i've discovered:

Three aces: Pregnancy
Page of cups and Justice: A heartfeld message about the law or future decsions
The lovers and Tower: I kept getting this and then soon after my parents who are still married had a car crash.

Aset
10-06-2011, 08:30
I don't think this one was in here after doing a search...

World/Universe + King of Cups

Anastacia
10-06-2011, 10:00
I don't think this one was in here after doing a search...

World/Universe + King of Cups
Aset, what have you found it to mean?

Aset
10-06-2011, 11:27
I'm not sure. It came up in a feelings position. I've heard of the King of Cups as "falling in love", so combined with the World (KoC was actually clarifying the World), I'm thinking of falling in love as a big event in someone's life. I feel like I may be missing something though, even an entirely different interpretation. These are two cards that I'm not completely comfortable with yet, so I'm wondering how a more experienced reader would interpret them.

minfx99
10-06-2011, 16:52
not sure about world and king of cups, but world and queen of cups could mean drama queen :D

Anastacia
11-06-2011, 00:39
So you started with World as feelings - and clarified it with King of cups..... too many variations are possible - here's a few
*Noah's Ark - the world ended but Noah managed to stay afloat
*feeling trapped and overwhelmed by emotions... I need space...
*travelling the world by boat
*things have ended and I'm going to drown my sorrows..

am trying to come up with something positive here but not having a lot of luck, must be too jaded, sorry.

Aset
11-06-2011, 01:27
not sure about world and king of cups, but world and queen of cups could mean drama queen :D

LOL that is an interesting interpretation. Is that because the World would lend a great deal of magnitude to the Queen's emotional nature?

Aset
11-06-2011, 01:29
So you started with World as feelings - and clarified it with King of cups..... too many variations are possible - here's a few

am trying to come up with something positive here but not having a lot of luck, must be too jaded, sorry.

Thanks, Anastacia, those are interesting interpretations. Is the negativity you see in the combination the result (primarily) of one or the other card, or is it the actual combination? I tend to think of both cards as they are as positives, but I have heard people say they see the World as more of a burden, and of course how one views the Queen of Cups will depend on their attitudes towards having an emotional nature.

Anastacia
11-06-2011, 09:56
Thanks, Anastacia, those are interesting interpretations. Is the negativity you see in the combination the result (primarily) of one or the other card, or is it the actual combination? I tend to think of both cards as they are as positives, but I have heard people say they see the World as more of a burden, and of course how one views the Queen of Cups will depend on their attitudes towards having an emotional nature.
Well the World has that wide range of meanings and often it means reaching the end of this and looking for a way out. It does sometimes show relationship will end unless both parties are ready to take things to a new level together. I suppose as feelings for another in a very new relationship it could be seeing the other person as a new world to explore and conquer, or that the other person feels like your other half and completes you.

I've seen the King of Cups come up a lot around depression - I think it has to do with being ruled by emotions - emotions are king and it's hard to find your balance when there is so much water around. The emotions are not able to be expressed, so the person can't talk about them, can't write about them, can't use them as a kickstart for creativity, can't cope with working and like the King of Cups floating on his throne they tend float through life which is nice when the weather is fine, but miserable when there are storms around.

Aset
11-06-2011, 10:16
I've seen the King of Cups come up a lot around depression - I think it has to do with being ruled by emotions - emotions are king and it's hard to find your balance when there is so much water around. The emotions are not able to be expressed, so the person can't talk about them, can't write about them, can't use them as a kickstart for creativity, can't cope with working and like the King of Cups floating on his throne they tend float through life which is nice when the weather is fine, but miserable when there are storms around.

That's a good description, though I think I'd be more inclined to associate that type of personality with the Queen of Cups (being water of water), or even the Knight/Prince (being a less mature version of the King). Definitely something I want to meditate on, though.

Anastacia
11-06-2011, 11:05
That's a good description, though I think I'd be more inclined to associate that type of personality with the Queen of Cups (being water of water), or even the Knight/Prince (being a less mature version of the King). Definitely something I want to meditate on, though.
well yes, but going on RW imagery the Knight has his horse to ride and is still in the quest phase, the queen is seated on the sand at the seashore and being feminine is more at home with the water, the king being masculine is not as comfortable with the water and there is so much of it that his throne is floating.

Barleywine
11-06-2011, 11:53

I don't have a lot to add to this thread right now, but find it interesting that earlier today (before I saw the thread) I was rummaging around on my bookshelf and pulled out my long-neglected copy of Dorothy Kelly's "Tarot Card Combinations" (Weiser/1995). It shows that someone has gone to the trouble to at least partially codify and publish some of the possible two-card (and three and four card) combinations and their blended meanings, including reversals. However, it's still vastly incomplete and the interpretations are so thin as to be largely uninformative. For the Justice + 7 of Cups combo, it has "Legal Decisions, Court is Speculating, Equality with Choice." I can see the derivations and might be able to glean something constructive out of them for a reading, but it just seems so dry. Still, this might be worth a look if only to have an on-the-fly reference work to build upon.

Aset
11-06-2011, 14:32
well yes, but going on RW imagery the Knight has his horse to ride and is still in the quest phase, the queen is seated on the sand at the seashore and being feminine is more at home with the water, the king being masculine is not as comfortable with the water and there is so much of it that his throne is floating.

Ahh, yes, I think I failed to mention that I was using the Thoth ::blushing:: Based on RW imagery, that interpretation does make total sense.

SloughSister
11-06-2011, 14:50

That's funny, I got quite a positive hit - as soon as I saw the pair I thought "aha! Finally, a culmination - and, oh, look, it's a culmination that came from all that steady, patient affection, that kind wisdom-that-understands-how-people are" --> and then was left totally blank as to what kind of culmination kind, patient tolerance might lead to. :confused:

Aset
11-06-2011, 15:13
That's funny, I got quite a positive hit - as soon as I saw the pair I thought "aha! Finally, a culmination - and, oh, look, it's a culmination that came from all that steady, patient affection, that kind wisdom-that-understands-how-people are" --> and then was left totally blank as to what kind of culmination kind, patient tolerance might lead to. :confused:

That was more or less my reaction too LOL. To me this is an odd pair that doesn't seem like an odd pair... which makes it more odd.

Aset
13-06-2011, 10:27
Tower+Strength - trying to control a situation unsuccessfully

Anastacia
13-06-2011, 11:53
Tower+Strength - trying to control a situation unsuccessfully
That one reminds of Samson and Delilah - when his hair finally grew back, he used his strength in an act of revenge. He pushed some pillars apart and the whole building came down killing hundreds of people including him.

MoiraKarin
25-09-2011, 19:05
Through the hard way i found the description of a psychpath by this trio

The devil / Justice / cups X

(Done by thoth deck) with the coleman smith i had the " hermit+ the lovers(the world) as conmfirmed within a yes / no/ why spread as well also makes a lot of sense to me

LJRBLUE
13-11-2011, 10:23

interesting perception of the King of cups, but I don't see him that way. When I think of a king, I think someone in control, someone of power, a leader who is strong even in the moments of chaotic turbulence. So when I see the King of cups I think, someone who is in control of the emotions, and/or someone who approaches the situation with a calm and rational effect.

LJRBLUE
13-11-2011, 10:43
Justice and 7 of cups - when rosegold mentioned courtrooms I had this image of the courtroom dramas where the lawyer is addressing the jury. Those cups represent the jurors. Especially when the facts are clouded the lawyer needs to manipulate their emotions as he addresses them. And the choice of Jurors is like the 7 of cups too - I think both sides get to assess the potential jurors and decide whether or not they are eligible to sit on the jury based just on their appearance and what is known of their profile.
So Justice + 7 of cups = trial by jury.

The Justice card doesn't necessarily have to be a legal card. Taking the definition of the word Justice, meaning fair and proper administration. Then seeing the 7 of cups as having choices, some seen, some unseen. The combination then becomes about making the proper choice. Just another way to view it outside of legal matters.

Anastacia
13-11-2011, 22:08
interesting perception of the King of cups, but I don't see him that way. When I think of a king, I think someone in control, someone of power, a leader who is strong even in the moments of chaotic turbulence. So when I see the King of cups I think, someone who is in control of the emotions, and/or someone who approaches the situation with a calm and rational effect.

Yes there are lots of different ways to see the Kings - but a calm and rational King of Cups? He has turned up quite a lot for a relative who was having issues with depression - the emotional state was ruling not only that person's life, but the lives of those around as they did their best to care.

LJRBLUE
14-11-2011, 01:48
Yes there are lots of different ways to see the Kings - but a calm and rational King of Cups? He has turned up quite a lot for a relative who was having issues with depression - the emotional state was ruling not only that person's life, but the lives of those around as they did their best to care.

Anastacia, I understand where you are coming from and how you would see the King of Cups in the view that you do. Even in the situation you have described above, I still see the King of Cups as calm and rational. I am not trying to change your perception, but offer another way of looking at the card. I do try to avoid negativity and find a positive outcome.

If in a reading the King of Cups turned to represent the emotional state ruling a persons life, I would read the card in this manner; You are allowing your emotions to rule your life, the King of Cups reminds us that we do have a choice in how we handle situations in life,especially our emotional state. He is calm and in control of his emotions. He reminds us that no matter what situation we encounter, We should NOT allow our emotions to control us, but rather we should control our emotions.

We are all going to see and read the cards differently, this is just my interpretation. :)

arya ishtar
05-06-2012, 06:41
elemental dignities really help me with combinations: (parenthesis are my comments)

7 Swords + Magician - now there is a shady pair that would worry me!" (all air, well thought out and strengthening each other.)

Emperor + Chariot - major control freak (fire and water, so maybe a control freak with nothing under control?)

4 Cups + Moon - depression (both water cards, so strong, deep depression)

5 Cups + Judgment - absolve yourself, and others, seek closure (water and fire cancel each other out, so perhaps the "accident" and the "punishment" are not as bad as you think?)

just a few thoughts. haven't read the whole thread, but have been working on combinations all day, along with elemental dignities, going back and forth between 16 pages, and this one came up. anyone big on elemental dignities wanna give a gal some feedback? thanks! :)

Glass Owl
18-09-2012, 12:51
Very cool thread about card pairs. I don't work with elemental dignities but this thread is inspiring me to think about it. Does anyone else like to pull pairs of cards rather one card and have any tips for reading the pair together?

Sar
18-09-2012, 22:51
Would love som tip on that too.

lucky star
19-09-2012, 09:27
Personally, I've had 6 of Pentacles together with 10 of Swords to mean theft (of quite a lot of money).

I possess a great book: Tarot For The Green Witch, by Ann Moura (published 2003). It has a whole section dedicated to pairings - all the minor cards, plus a section on major arcana pairings. I keep it by my bed and refer to it constantly.

Aside from the pairings, it is a great book - I love the way different tarot decks are used to illustrate the major and minor arcanas throughout the book, i.e. The Buckland Romani Tarot, The Nigel Jackson Tarot, The Robin Wood Tarot, The Sacred Circle Tarot, and The Witches Tarot.

Admittedly, some of the predictions for the pairings are a bit banal, e.g. most of the predictions focus on projects, creativity and strategies (you'll have to read the book to know what I mean) - this book is positive in abundance, no "spooky" predictions here! You will not find the shocking or alarming interpretations in this book that you find on this forum but I was very intrigued by the pairings idea in the book.

Personally, I only ever do two/three-card readings - I've never taken to doing spreads.

I've really loved reading this thread. It's the type of thread that you want to refer back to in the future to see what new pairings have been put on.

Sparklesxxx
24-09-2012, 23:55
I pulled 3 cards regarding a lady who is in an unhappy marriage (she had asked for the reading)

3 of Wands + The Hanged Man = wanting to move on but delaying making a decision on moving out or separating. The 3ofW tells me that she is looking at other options but the Hanged Man says she's not doing much about, and something will need to be sacrificed if she does separate. The Outcome card was the Lovers and I feel she is going to have to make a choice sooner or later.

I'm still quite novice. Does my interpretation sound completely bonkers?

Any ideas or thoughts from anyone else.

Sparkles x x x

Sar
10-10-2012, 05:42
The one you did was very good.

Sparklesxxx
01-12-2013, 23:37
Thank you very much

Lilmz84
08-04-2014, 18:35
Just bumping this thread up, I know it's an old one but it's very interesting!

nisaba
08-04-2014, 18:40
Just bumping this thread up, I know it's an old one but it's very interesting!

You have no suggestions to add?

Sar
22-04-2014, 02:36
Hi everyone,
I'm sure people have their own creative combinations, I wanted to share a few of mine:

6 of Cups + Moon - ex spouse/ex boyfriend coming back
6 of Cups + 9 of Cups - birthday/fun celebration
9 of Pentacles + 9 of Cups - Spoiled female, rich girl
Queen of Cups + King of Cups - Disagreement with a couple or two people with compatible energies linked closely

Anyone else have any interesting combinations to share?
Hey, nice thread. I don't know if this is interesting but mine are:

Wheel + King (well, some king) - a driver;
Wheel + Page (well, some page) - a courier guy that's about to deliver my new tarot deck; (yes, I do readings on that too)
4 of Swords + 6 of Swords - past life regression;
(4 of Swords - meditation; sleep; and 6 of Swords - trip;)
4 of Wands + 8 of Pentacles - homework;
Ace of Pents + Devil - enormous business success; money
Empress - 6 of Pentacles - Ace of Cups - marital sex at home;
King of Wands - Ace of Swords - Empress - a woman committed suicide because of the man
Hierophant + Lovers = marriage (arranged)
World + Empress + Hangman - pregnancy (according to TdM meanings)
Moon + Death - nightmare; scary dream (when dreaming);
Star + Queen of Cups = a woman's dream/hope (if she's facing the star)

I don't know if I can call these "interesting" but these are some of the ones I could remember.

Sorry, I could not resist. :D

High_Priestess_lol
22-04-2014, 03:48
Wow I didn't see this thread :-)

Sammygirl
23-06-2014, 05:35
Serious assessment of a decision that could possibly change ones life ( transform ) in a significant way.

Sammygirl
23-06-2014, 05:58
The World with The Star = a fulfilling relationship that comes with it a lot of hope and potential