How to create a group meditation based on Tarot

xhollysue

I've had this idea to create group meditations using the archetypes of Tarot, and I just can't quite get it put together right. I was wondering if anyone had any insights.

Here's what I'm imagining - the meditation would include no more than 6 people and beforehand everyone would know the topic. I could be money, relationships, parenting, communication, etc. We get together and begin the therapy with a 10-15 minute chakra meditation, opening energy to father sky and mother earth.

Then everyone in the group would pass the deck around and briefly shuffle. I've done group readings before very often, and find my decks quite affluent at finding a common area of need among the members of the group (I've done groups of up to 60 people plus a weekly community reading). Anyways, then I'd do a short deal, probably 6 cards, read them, and ask members of the group to share what the reading meant for them, or what they experienced during the meditation. Naturally I would trust that the cards' message would reach and touch every member in the group through the magic of synchronicity.

My intention with this is for 1) Members of the group to open up to sharing their situations and experiences outside of themselves and thereby create a flow of energy conducive to healing, 2) Members of the group learning from each other and experiencing a sense of community as they share with others who have similar experiences, 3) Share the power of Tarot as it ties every human being into the tapestry of archetypes.

Feedback?

I've had other ideas. Like for example to pick one card as a significator. So for struggling parents take a few minutes to explain the Hierophant or Emperor card and set it as the basis for the reading. But it would be tricky and maybe boring to get a totally significant card and to explain it.

Another thought is to have each member of the group quickly skim through the deck and pick out a card that appeals to them, and have each individual member choose a significator that way, which I would read for them. This would also give people the opportunity to open up as they get a 5-minute focus. Etc., etc.

Ok, now for real: feedback or ideas on how to make this a valuable experience? I'm also wondering if there's a way to pull it off as a beginning of the week meditation that would just be a recharging meditation for the week that people could come to early Monday mornings. Thoughts?

templumkat

Inner Guide Meditation

Hello HollySue

If you haven't already considered it, I'd really recommend the "Inner Guide Meditation" book by Edwin Steinbrecher (1930-2002) as a foundation for good group meditation. Although it is written for solitary use, I've found it more effective in small groups of 6-12 people, with a leader and a note-taker.

I ran IGM workings to explore the Tarot Major Arcana for six months in Switzerland fifteen years ago, with a group of 10-12 people, and it was a profound experience for all involved.

The IGM also has many 'safe-guards' so that people can manage their own experience to their own ability and present openness. Although the experiences can still remain surprisingly deep and moving.

The working usually commences with connecting to the Sun archetype and I also found the Magician and Chariot to be good cards to introduce the technique - the Magician would always teach something and the Chariot would always take people somewhere interesting!

Marcus
[link removed by moderator]

Teheuti

xhollysue said:
I've had this idea to create group meditations using the archetypes of Tarot, and I just can't quite get it put together right.
It's not clear from your description whether you are asking about the meditation itself or about how to focus a group that would include a chakra meditation, some kind of group tarot experience, and a support-group.

It sounds to me like you are trying to do too many things at once. It's not so much the number of activities but rather finding the focus so that all the activities hang on one thing. As one of my teachers suggested: "What is the one thing you want people to know when they leave (a course, a class, a talk)?" So, if they don't get anything else they will have gotten this. Everything should work toward and support this.

I agree with templumkat that Steinbrecher's "Inner Guide Meditation" is excellent and very powerful. Highly recommended.

xhollysue

Thanks guys! I just saw your post today, and I'll check out that book!

I think you've got a point templumkat in that it seems a little disjointed - kind of like a meditation meets a group reading. More than anything I want to encourage people to experience how reflection on the symbology of Tarot can be of service in their lives, and if they experience this in a group, for people to see how each person's reflection/meditation is unique yet significant.

I'm going to work on the idea a little more though. :D