Do people like silk for tarot? Or silk or cotton?

marigold's

I've read (esp. in Mary Greer and Joan Bunning) that natural fabrics are preferred for storing cards and spread cloths as well...but what about silk? I'm in the unusual position of needing to buy fabrics and thought if silk would be "kosher" and wanted, I might order a few things...but only if there'd be an interest. Otherwise, I'll just buy for my few decks : )

Thanks!
Marigold's : )

Sulis

What do you mean 'only if there'd be an interest'?

As for silk - I love silk and I never use anything but natural fibres for the bags and cloths I make and use - man-made stuff just doesn't seem right.
I always use cotton or silk or a combination of both.

Mellifluous

Yeah, silk is a natural fabric - if that's what you're asking.

Ambrosia

I prefer silk. A lovely soft delicate silk to wrap cards in, and a heavier raw silk to lay cards out on, as I find the finer silks just get picked up with the cards, though most times I dont use a spread cloth at all.

Le Fanu

Is velvet a natural fabric? I guess it is. I have a HUGE black velvet spread cloth and all my decks are stored in bags of varying -but not synthetic -materials, and boxes (wooden, so that´s ok...)

Silk is nice, but I personally don´t make a point of insisting cards MUST be wrapped in silk as the books say. I think as long as the fabric is a natural fabric - and not lycra or something - it´ok...

Ambrosia

Le Fanu said:
Is velvet a natural fabric?

It depends. Real velvet comes from deer antlers but these days most velvet we get is a cotten or synthetic copy.

afrosaxon

Eh...I'm more concerned that each of my decks have a home.

I have crocheted bags (cotton and synthetic), velvet bags, taffeta bags, satin bags, thin gossamer-type bags. My NOVT is in an embroidered cotton bag (looks like a cosmetic bag) that I picked up at a Body, Mind, Spirit Expo in Maryland, many moons ago.

I even have my Deviant Moon in a small makeup case that came free with a cosmetic purchase. :laugh: Only until I find it a fabric home, though...or maybe not. It seems not to mind the bag. Likewise for my Gipsy Fortune Telling Cards...I have them in a colorful leather business card case that I picked up at Pier One for 5 bucks.

T.

Morwenna

My boxless decks are in silk or wool. Actually, I don't really have a problem with synthetics, or at least with natural-synthetic blends. The very plasticky polyesters I don't like, for any purpose! I'll accept nylon, for instance, and cotton-poly blend. But a lot of it has to do with the texture.

That said, whether or not you believe in the vibes of natural fabrics, natural fabrics have more class! :D

Raindance

Being from Texas, my husband and I prefer wrapping the decks in cotton bandanas. They are inexpensive, easy to wash, and colorful!

GryffinSong

I use whatever feels right for that particular deck. Silk, cotton, tapestry fabric intended for draperies, satin, whatever. I'll use a wooden or metal box, even a plastic index card case. But I'm an intuitive gal, and don't pay much mind to traditions. ;)