When carrying tarot in a bag do you...

jeseryn

When you carry your tarot in a bag do you usually store the box and put the cards without?

I'm just wondering if I put my victorian romantic in a bag without the box if it will get ruined I usually keep them in a box in the bag but sometimes it's a pain to do a quick draw.

(I know! Silly question!)

Feretian

jeseryn said:
(I know! Silly question!)
Not a silly question at all! I have been wondering the same. I carry RWS in a fairly heavy cotton bag, and I hate taking cards out of a box. I hate even more trying to put them back in. And If I use the box, there's always those "title" cards that aren't part of the deck but look exactly like it...and if they get mixed in to a shuffle, it ruins the whole reading. Aaack! So maybe boxless but in a super-padded bag?

missycab

Well, I keep my decks in crocheted bags, and they are still inside the box. What I do remove is the LWB, that is still inside the bag, but outside the box (because I usually find the LWB a bit of a problem when I try to put it inside the deck's box).

Nevada

I rarely carry cards around, but when I do, I keep them in a box inside my purse, if I have a box. If I don't have a box, I'm reluctant to carry them around at all.

Though I have a few bags, most of my cards are in their original boxes, stacked inside a larger box -- a "memory" box I bought at a gift store, or a cigar box. Some cards don't come with good compact boxes, though, and those are the ones that wind up loose inside a bigger box (if I use them frequently), or in a knitted bag inside a bigger box for added protection.

But I'm planning to start making my own boxes. I like custom boxes better, for their strength and fit, and some of my original boxes are wearing out. I figure I can decorate the boxes as well as I would a bag, with ink, paint or fabric, but I like the way boxes stack and their rigid sides protect the cards.

Nevada

avalonian

I put the deck in a bag without the box as I find the boxes tend to disintegrate. If I felt the bag was not protective enough then I would wrap the cards in a silk scarf inside the bag.

I also have a really pretty cosmetic bag that I use to additionally protect the deck and bag if the weather is really nasty and I'm worrying about the deck getting damp.

:)

Nightgarden

This isn't a silly question-I have the same thoughts as you in my beginning "bag time" ;)
I carry them around in their bags without the boxes and so far (around 8 months) the cards have no damage.

GryffinSong

I only keep the original box if I'm not certain I'm going to keep a deck. Otherwise, the outer box goes in the trash, the title cards get put away somewhere, and the deck alone (or with the lwb) goes into the bag. I sometimes use a wooden box too. :)

Sinduction

I put the boxes on a bookshelf. I leave in the lwb and any extra cards with the box. Then I keep my decks in these bags.

They are very sturdy and protect my decks quite well. I don't like to carry around the box because then they get damaged.

As long as your bag fits the deck well, so the cards don't float around and get bent, you should be fine. You could always wrap the deck in a cloth before it goes in the bag, if the bag is big. Oh, and make sure it stays closed or the cards get loose!

Nothing worse than bent or lost cards. :D

faunabay

Sinduction said:
I put the boxes on a bookshelf. I leave in the lwb and any extra cards with the box. Then I keep my decks in these bags.
This is exactly what I do. Except I have different bags. I don't have any of Sinductions beautiful crocheted bags. :)

Although I have some decks in bags that are pretty big....the cards can move around a little bit - like the baba bags. And I've had no problems with bent cards or anything. Works great!

minrice

I bag mine but they are in their boxes inside the bags! I've just put clear packing tape around the boxes to reinforce them, my Morgan Greer box is still holding up quite nicely after years of going in and out!