Sade
11-09-2008, 22:38
I'm not quite sure.
It doesnt strike me as romantic but there does seem something solid about it

- He wants to build a life with her?
- He wants to father children with her?
- He wants to protect her?
- He wants to control her?
- He wants to 'conquer' her and make her his?

all of the above????

Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

(I also asked if they would hear from him soon and got the page of cups which I took as a yes)

re-pete-a
11-09-2008, 22:51
You've described him well, do you like being owned,Dominated??

theblackscorpio
11-09-2008, 22:52
Maybe he has fatherly feelings? There are men, who feel like the woman needs some sort of guidance, and he wants to do it, because he loves her, maybe the woman is much younger than him, which means, he can give good advice on, say, retirement insurances, mortgages, all that sort of things. And that he will do it out of love.

[EDITED TO ADD (oops, hit the button too soon...)]
Maybe find out, if these things come with a good energy, as in he does this out of love for you, or he does it, because he has a need to control, or thinks, it is in his right to "father" you.

Lula Jing
11-09-2008, 22:55
I sometimes see the Emperor as all the Kings rolled up into one - so he could have a romantic side to him, despite outward appearances perhaps, possibly being strict or firm, definately in charge, but not without feelings. :)

memries
12-09-2008, 00:39
Authoritarian, autocratic, possibly pompous. He loves him and you love him so everyone is happy.

Guess who is first on his list ?

Teacups
12-09-2008, 02:19
Maybe he has fatherly feelings? There are men, who feel like the woman needs some sort of guidance, and he wants to do it, because he loves her, maybe the woman is much younger than him, which means, he can give good advice on, say, retirement insurances, mortgages, all that sort of things. And that he will do it out of love.

Maybe find out, if these things come with a good energy, as in he does this out of love for you, or he does it, because he has a need to control, or thinks, it is in his right to "father" you.

When I was 22 I married a man 48. This may SEEM like a good idea at the time, but once you've outgrown the guy, then he's just a domineering control freak. Now, looking back with wisdom of experience, this draw would sum up the relationship as it was at the time, and I'd never ever suggest to anyone that it would be a good relationship.... that is... if this turns out to be the case for your querant. (just my cautionary 6cents)

Grizabella
12-09-2008, 04:17
I agree with asphodel and memries. :)

While it may seem really safe, warm and comfy with a man who dominates you, in the long run the safe, warm and comfy wears off and it becomes very oppressive and stifling.

Sade
12-09-2008, 06:41
Thank you so much for the replies!
You all have given me a different perspective

They all make sense and I suppose what might look attractive/secure/solid at first could possibly turn out to be like a trap in the long run.

I guess an Emperor rules

So this card would say if you must get involved then proceed with caution and keep some type of independance.

(Mariah Carey's first marriage is springing to mind)

Thirteen
12-09-2008, 10:33
So this card would say if you must get involved then proceed with caution and keep some type of independance.
You might also want to ask what type of woman this is and what her feelings for him are as well. If she's an Empress than she can certainly handle and want and Emperor, as his power is her power and they can rule together.

The "Emperor" feelings that a man has for a woman can work if they're want she wants, needs and can handle.

thinbuddha
12-09-2008, 11:41
To me, when I first read "The Emperor as a man's feelings for a woman" I translated this roughly in my mind to "How does he view her?" In other words, he sees the Emperor's traits within her- is she possibly domineering? Does she offer structure that is lacking in his life?

Just a thought- I'm not sure if that was the original thrust of the question or not.

-tb

GreenMoonBeam
12-09-2008, 11:54
You might also want to ask what type of woman this is and what her feelings for him are as well. If she's an Empress than she can certainly handle and want and Emperor, as his power is her power and they can rule together.
The "Emperor" feelings that a man has for a woman can work if they're want she wants, needs and can handle.

A whoppee from me! I read the question & answers but thought IF the woman
was capable of relating to the Emperor ? Bingo! Thank you, Thirteen. There
are so many facets to an interpretations. :love:

Sade
13-09-2008, 09:53

LOL -- you read my mind cos my next question was going to be what sort of woman would match an Emperor. I was mentally going thru all the Queens but I forgot about the Empress. Makes perfect sense

Thank you!

Tehanu
13-09-2008, 13:02
What is an Empress type and how would someone with these characteristics be able to handle the Emperor? When I think Empress all I can think of is motherly...

re-pete-a
13-09-2008, 13:48
She is capable of the mental disipline , and also has the ability to set boundries and stick to it. Her rules . A Queen, but stronger in mind and personal power.Will not tollerate domination, but will allow equality. Queens need kings, Empress needs nothing.

GreenMoonBeam
13-09-2008, 14:22
What is an Empress type and how would someone with these characteristics be able to handle the Emperor? When I think Empress all I can think of is motherly...

Ah, but the Empress is not just motherly as in maternal but universal as well.
She is the Earth she has created.

Lula Jing
13-09-2008, 23:49
Re: the Emperor and Empress - I would agree they could represent an evenly matched couple - mummy and daddy of the Tarot after all? Highly complementary... perhaps a couple like a grandma and grandpa in a family - people who have been through all the 'minor' stuff a few times round the block and have therefore earned their respect and status?

Just a thought.

GenoviaJ
14-09-2008, 01:44
I see the Emperor as someone who does not express his feelings, he is in control of himself and distant. In other words he wont let on to how he feels, his priorities and goals are first, and he won't express anything to ever allow the other to feel in control.

Adjustment
14-09-2008, 05:06
I agree with the post above, the emperor is not very romantic, he is cold and distant, viewing situations with logic and ractionality, he sometimes wants to keep order and control, he might not want to get involved in order to keep his life undisrupted, and if he does get involved is under his own terms.

Cups
03-03-2013, 20:43
the emperor is tha last card I get about his feelings for me....
1st card is the 7 of wands ...he is defensive....I feel it like he is afraid of me in some way...
2nd card the magician ...I think he puts a lot of energy to defense from me.....
3rd card the emperor.....I can't see the card in connection with the previous 2.....is he distant really? or playing distant...and controlling but controlling his feelings and actions ...just showing me what he wants me to I see.....is he hiding something...?
please the emperor is not very eager to give me a clue on my question.....

re-pete-a
03-03-2013, 21:28
the emperor is tha last card I get about his feelings for me....
1st card is the 7 of wands ...he is defensive....I feel it like he is afraid of me in some way...
2nd card the magician ...I think he puts a lot of energy to defense from me.....
3rd card the emperor.....I can't see the card in connection with the previous 2.....is he distant really? or playing distant...and controlling but controlling his feelings and actions ...just showing me what he wants me to I see.....is he hiding something...?
please the emperor is not very eager to give me a clue on my question.....

Perhaps he is hiding , protecting himself.

Tiggy-cat
04-03-2013, 12:05
Hmm, concerning the Magician in this context, I wonder if it could mean he sees the Magician traits in you?

WalesWoman
04-03-2013, 15:42
Emperor as a man's feelings for a woman...
many years ago a man said to me, "I wish I could tattoo my initials on your neck" and I thought that was so sweet, but stupid. If I had known anything about tarot, I am quite sure that the Emperor would have been the card that described that, because this guy likes to own things and put his mark on them so everyone knows exactly what is his property.

He is also a total control freak, feeling that he always has to give his permission or approval even when it isn't needed or asked for.

This man will always need to feel in charge and make sure you know it and will not like it one bit if you have a highly developed independent streak and don't agree with him on just about all things.

Cups
04-03-2013, 17:47
Hmm, concerning the Magician in this context, I wonder if it could mean he sees the Magician traits in you?

why do you think that way?

Cups
04-03-2013, 17:54
Emperor as a man's feelings for a woman...
many years ago a man said to me, "I wish I could tattoo my initials on your neck" and I thought that was so sweet, but stupid. If I had known anything about tarot, I am quite sure that the Emperor would have been the card that described that, because this guy likes to own things and put his mark on them so everyone knows exactly what is his property.

He is also a total control freak, feeling that he always has to give his permission or approval even when it isn't needed or asked for.

This man will always need to feel in charge and make sure you know it and will not like it one bit if you have a highly developed independent streak and don't agree with him on just about all things.
he has a family ...I guess the card represents that part of the situation .......too
is it possible that the emperor shows his zero interest or feelings toward me?
we had something ....after that i felt he was scared or afraid of me.....and after some time he started to act normally .......

queenxofxwands
07-03-2013, 01:18
I see the Emperor as someone who is aware of their power, the power they have over another, in relationship terms,they also know how to use that power to get what they want. As far as feelings go, i suspect that the emperor person, would not mess around but if they had feelings, they would let you know, i dont see them as hiding things, if they want you, you will know about it,beyond a shadow of a doubt, if they dont want you, you will aso know about it. Which of course will make them look cold hearted. He is an aries after all isnt he??? The emperor is blunt and upfront about it.

If hes not an aries, please let me know...someone.

ChristianReader
07-03-2013, 09:56
He wants to be apart of her life. possibly build a life with her...He definitely sees himself making her an Empress and being her leader....Its very self explanatory. Everytime i read about my bf i get the emperor. My bf is the Emperor to a T. He has been under its influence since 16...now 22. He has always talked about building a family, being a provider, having a wife....he literally would say "its his calling to be a Father n husband first" And it was hard for me to believe...he was only 18 speaking this way but now today he's actually followed through and loves it. So i see the Emperor as a man with a biological clock. lol

ChristianReader
07-03-2013, 10:10
Although i do warn u that when the Emperor makes his decision of who he wants then u are stuck with him....if u dont feel the same about him then let him know early on. He plays for keeps. he is definitely that guy who gets intense with love and even says weird stuff that comes frm a place of love but creepy like tattoo my name on you, wear a tshirt with my face on it, n even severe cases like i wanna get u pregnant RIGHT now.....most would signify ownership or entrapment. This guy will do anything to make his family strong, stable, and successful but it comes with a price....hes extremely intense and and he values the vow " til death do us part" Also u asked feelings and got a Major Arcanacard so its safe to say that these arent just feelings...he could be under its influence. Remember that majors are life changers....Its not to say that u dont hav any control but he could possibly be thinling of the person on a way that could change his life....

WalesWoman
07-03-2013, 13:16
he has a family ...I guess the card represents that part of the situation .......too
is it possible that the emperor shows his zero interest or feelings toward me?
we had something ....after that i felt he was scared or afraid of me.....and after some time he started to act normally .......

Well, sure the Emperor is the supreme father image and supporting, protecting and keeping a family in order is all part & parcel, as long as everyone realizes he expects and demands the last word, as his right.

Another part of the Emperor is setting, maintaining and enforcing boundaries, so if he feels like his boundaries are being invaded, he will resist, so your feeling that he felt afraid or scared may well be correct and when he started acting normally again, it could be he didn't view you as a threat any longer.

queenxofxwands
07-03-2013, 14:56
Well, sure the Emperor is the supreme father image and supporting, protecting and keeping a family in order is all part & parcel, as long as everyone realizes he expects and demands the last word, as his right.

Another part of the Emperor is setting, maintaining and enforcing boundaries, so if he feels like his boundaries are being invaded, he will resist, so your feeling that he felt afraid or scared may well be correct and when he started acting normally again, it could be he didn't view you as a threat any longer.

Yes, excellent point about the boundaries.

Nica
08-03-2013, 13:43
The Emperor as 4 is stable, but also rigid and tied to his throne. A cold provider, not the romantic kind but responsible.

junethird
08-03-2013, 13:57
I got this with my guy alot lol

It means he is controlled of his feelings. not bad. It just that he wants the power. He needs to be able to lead and let it unfold at his pace and his whim. As for romantic feelings, it means strongly that he thinks she is worthy. she could be his empress. The emperor does not bestow favours easily, let alone waste his time. so its important that she is on her best behaviour, as I learned the hard way lol

in my humble opinion, the emperor is the top alpha dog and is all about control.

Salena
13-01-2014, 19:37
I see the Emperor as someone who does not express his feelings, he is in control of himself and distant. In other words he wont let on to how he feels, his priorities and goals are first, and he won't express anything to ever allow the other to feel in control.

I agree with this I had this show up as his feelings for me. I realize that our whole interaction had to be on his terms. He was also unable to reveal his feelings. He also seemed very depressed but also goal oriented.He was a Capricorn.

caridwen
13-01-2014, 19:59
I agree with the post above, the emperor is not very romantic, he is cold and distant, viewing situations with logic and ractionality, he sometimes wants to keep order and control, he might not want to get involved in order to keep his life undisrupted, and if he does get involved is under his own terms.

The Emperor isn't cold - he's a fire sign Aries and ruled by Mars:D

annabellybuttonstar.
01-02-2014, 00:07
For me it usually comes up when a guy is very closed off, some cases seething/ touch angry inside, but not willing to project any emotion in a poker face kind of way. Also kind of stubborn in other cases and refusing to budge. Either way he's stuck to his seat in an energy way.

JonneyVK
12-07-2014, 11:40
Hi, Iíve been reading through this discussion concerning the Emperor as feelings with great interest. I naturally fall into the King Of Wands character but during difficult relationships fall into the Emperor. I do feel that I need to add to this discussion concerning some of the bad press concerning this card concerning feelings. I have been a member of both fathers 4 justice and families need fathers and I have conducted tarot readings (without profit) for the past 6 years. I have found the Emperor to appear when there has been a conflict of interest between the women Iíve been involved with and my two sons. This has simply meant that my two sonís interest comes before any relationship and I do think thatís a noble trait in a man. I have also met many Emperorsí during my time with both charities. Itís ridiculous to think the Emperor upright (unless reversed) means tyrannical and a dictator (male negative traits), infact many Emperors are very loving and protective (would sacrifice their own life for their children) and can and do emulate to a lesser degree the roles of the Empress. It would be similar to add the female (negative) attributes of pride and envy to the upright Empress!

If you get this card for feelings, ask yourself why you/him/her think of him/her this way...perhaps you have behaved immaturely and he/she loves you and wants the best for you like a father figure. This has cropped up for me when dating a woman much younger than myself and immature and reckless in her actions. Also ask if youíre a threat to his/her childrenís best interests.

Is this card romantic......depending on your values this card is the Father Of All the Kingís......as the Empress Is the Mother Of The Queens... Iíve found many Emperors during my charity work and I can assure you they have no shortage of female attention. Very charismatic and many very attractive. Natural born leaders! To the post concerning a Victorian Father and the Emperor, actually It would be better to compare the Empress to Queen Victoria. And the Emperor to Vespasian! That post is like comparing margarine to butter.  With respect, sorry.

I also read both Empress and Emperor as the Alpha Male and Alpha Female of the species. Biological imperative to have both for the survival of future generations and to set an example to the Beta males and females the lessor/or alter ego of both Emperor and Empress of the Kings and Queens of tarot. (yes thereís a reason for the rank promotion folks!) Both are guided by the high priest and high priestess respectively.
As a natural King Of Wands might regret this spontaneous post eeeeekkk but this has been on my mind 3 days! I donít want to cause any offence. (I will repeat this post to other Emperor discussions, as there are a few on this forum which need it! )

nisaba
12-07-2014, 15:01
I'm not quite sure.
And no romance is good unless at least one person if not both, are solid <smile>.

Or, just simply, he wants solid ground beneath his feet where she is concerned. To know where it is with her, not to have to second-guess himself and walk on eggshells. To feel emotionally safe with her. And to help her feel safe with him. All sounds pretty positive to me.

And/or be protected by her. Though this assumes he feels there is some kind of risk to her and she is in need of protection. I assume otherwise - nobody needs protection unless something is badly askew in their life somewhere.

These are both red flags to abuse. The Emperor is not the first card I'd expect to come out for an abusive relationship or a controlling one ("make her his" is pretty controlling!): I've seen the Devil, even cards like the Eight Swords and the Five Cups, but so far over the years, not the Emperor in the context of a negative relationship.

werewolfmoon
12-07-2014, 23:25
Dominating, autocratic, 'wears the pants' in the relationship, controlling out of love (his version anyway) expects respect.

re-pete-a
13-07-2014, 00:58
JOHNNY VK...

I see you've organised and passed judgements on this card "THE EMPEROR" and decided that most have misunderstood him (you)....

Refer back to the post by myself, on Pg one....I still see the Emperor as domineering ,controlling, owning....
Your post emphasizes this clearly...to me.

but, we've all got different eyes in this game...and that's what makes us unique...we don't have to conform to anybodies standards...Just our own, honest to ourselves.

Tiggy-cat
13-07-2014, 05:17
JOHNNY VK...

Refer back to the post by myself, on Pg one....I still see the Emperor as domineering ,controlling, owning....
Your post emphasizes this clearly...to me.

I think this could certainly be a facet of him but I also would think there's likely much more to it. I think of him also as being very mature, experienced, efficient and stable. To see only the "ruler" aspects of him is like saying that all parents are "domineering, controlling, owning"...

They are in charge yes, but they're not all abusive control freaks. Whether the Emperor qualities are a positive or a negative in any given relationship situation is certainly debatable and open to much discussion but it seems simplistic to me to just dismiss an Emperor person as "domineering, controlling, and owning".

Nikita_
13-07-2014, 05:50
I'm not quite sure.

all of the above????

Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

(I also asked if they would hear from him soon and got the page of cups which I took as a yes)

I don't like the Emperor much. Everything you said fits, but in my experience he's also very rigid and inflexible, I wouldn't like a man like that as a partner....I used to get it a lot for a man I was dating, and he was exactly like that, inflexible and rigid....

re-pete-a
13-07-2014, 10:54
I think this could certainly be a facet of him but I also would think there's likely much more to it. I think of him also as being very mature, experienced, efficient and stable. To see only the "ruler" aspects of him is like saying that all parents are "domineering, controlling, owning"...

They are in charge yes, but they're not all abusive control freaks. Whether the Emperor qualities are a positive or a negative in any given relationship situation is certainly debatable and open to much discussion but it seems simplistic to me to just dismiss an Emperor person as "domineering, controlling, and owning".

That's an extreme outlook for a general overview "Extreme control freaks".....There are 21 other cards that also balance out this human path...

I'm sure your descriptions would fit your world and experiences of that card...for me it's the controller, king, reigning...

Your comment of "all parents" is not true either...if we're talking of extremes...but we're not...we're talking general overviews...not about unbalanced psychs.

Tiggy-cat
13-07-2014, 11:29
That's an extreme outlook for a general overview "Extreme control freaks".....There are 21 other cards that also balance out this human path...

I'm sure your descriptions would fit your world and experiences of that card...for me it's the controller, king, reigning...

Your comment of "all parents" is not true either...if we're talking of extremes...but we're not...we're talking general overviews...not about unbalanced psychs.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I hadn't made any comments about "Extreme control freaks" so maybe that part was meant in response to another poster on the thread.

But exactly right. It's NOT true that all parents are abusive control freaks, that was my point. So I think we're in agreement though over all, I'm a bit confused by your post. My basic meaning is that just because the Emperor is in charge, IMO, he is NOT necessarily abusive or a control freak or an unbalanced psych.

re-pete-a
14-07-2014, 00:28
We do agree after all ...