My Tarot table has feet! lol

minrice

Until now I didn't have a designated reading table so I went "downtown" to find one in the thrift/secondhand shops.
I found this one! It is cute because it has a little drawer to put my cards in!
And I didn't notice until I put it in the car but it also has "claw" feet!

Does anyone know anything about tables? How old/what kind is it?
I wish I knew its history.

Attachments

• Table.JPG
    Table.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 312
  • Table leg.JPG
    Table leg.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 188

Feretian

Oh, how perfect, Minrice! Enjoy it. (I don't have a designated table...hmm..)

Morwenna

I love it! I don't know the details about it but they were common about a century or less ago, and the style is much older. I think they call it a drum table. They still make them, I think, the companies that go in for reproductions.

My mother's drop-leaf table has claw feet too. It's another old detail that has been endlessly copied over the centuries. It's been copied because it's been popular!

Enjoy!

starrystarrynight

Hey, maybe it's an antique worth a bundle of money! That would be cool! :D

afrosaxon

That's a cool table, minrice!

It looks like some of the furniture that used to be in my late grandparents' house (and I miss it).

Congrats on your find. :thumbsup:

T.

Morwenna

You know, if I ever get this room cleared of boxes and haul that drop-leaf table in here... it too has a drawer... :D

memries

From what I can see it looks like a Duncan Phyfe Drum Table in style. It looks like the real wood, probably mahogany but I would have to see it inside.

Look and see if you can find any dovetailing on it. That means the edges are put together kind of in a jig jag. Not nailed or screwed. That will aid in dating it as well and show a finer type piece of furniture.
It might have a couple of screws to keep the top on the legs or something.

The lovely old claw feet will date it admirably for you. You will have to Google.
It does not look like a reproduction to me because of the aged color.
The fluted edge is a give away addition to check out as well.

I would not paint it. Just get a good cleaner. The have better cleaners now to clean wood off than in the earlier days. Enquire at the store.
Do not paint it until you see what you have under that old look. You will be very surprised at how lovely it will be. Do not stain it either until you know what you have. It looks like a good one to me.

http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/6996897

You table looks a bit coarser in style and this could denote it being older.
Many antiques are reproduced and made to look a little more up to date in small details.
The Lion's Head Pull on the drawer is a lovely feature as well. As you can see in the picture of the more modern one, the pull is not nearly that nice.
Try lemon juice on that to see if it works to get it clean. Or they have commercial products as well.
There is no point trying to give you a guesstimate as to value because of not being completely sure about dating it.

LadyMedusa

Oh wow that looks just like the table that sat in my grandma's front room. Now at Mom's. The same drawer pull even...as for the age, I have seen her table in pictures dating back to the early forties when my mom was in grade school.

LadyMedusa

minrice

Thanks everyone! Not that is really matters I suppose, I just love old things and their history!
Thanks for the info Memries, I will check it out. It is wood, very sturdy and well put together (but yes, coarsely) which is how I justified handing over what the seller wanted for it (which wasn't that much actually).
Will take your cleaning tips! Thank you!

mysticmanth

What a lovely table, that is perfect for doing readings on.
A lovely spiritual table cloth for putting the cards on during readings would look lovely with that.
x
x