(Wait for) Word-of-mouth or Advertise in local paper?

HighPriestesss

Still consider myself relatively new at reading tarot, although I've studied the cards for years and years, and did some cold readings about a year ago before taking a break.

I've recommitted myself to this and want to read for strangers on a regular basis. I've contacted my friends and asked them each to throw a tarot reading party for me to get started.

When you first began, did you ask friends for help and wait for word to spread? Did you advertise and have strangers come to your home for readings? Do you do that now? Any cautionary advice I need to know here?

TIA!

Demon Goddess

HighPriestesss said:
Still consider myself relatively new at reading tarot, although I've studied the cards for years and years, and did some cold readings about a year ago before taking a break.

I've recommitted myself to this and want to read for strangers on a regular basis. I've contacted my friends and asked them each to throw a tarot reading party for me to get started.

When you first began, did you ask friends for help and wait for word to spread? Did you advertise and have strangers come to your home for readings? Do you do that now? Any cautionary advice I need to know here?

TIA!

I've really only done two things... I had a kiosk at a mind, spirit and body show, and I announced on my networking sites that I was reading tarot... I haven't had the time that I would like to focus on this, but I know where I'm going to go once I do.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to reading the answers that get posted here. :)

Apollonia

I knew I didn't want people coming to my home--not so much the fear of strangers as what they would think of my housekeeping skills! Now I'm getting more comfortable with the idea, and I actually have a space in mind to use, but nothing has been done about it yet.

When I decided to start reading for others, I called a couple of metaphysical shops in the area and asked if they had reading rooms available and whether they would charge a flat room rental fee, or a percentage of my take from the readings, and within the first two phone calls I found a place that has worked out very well. I've been there for four and a half years. I have heard of readers going into beauty shops or coffee shops and finding space there to read, as well.

I don't advertise and never have. I'm sure it works well for others, but I get all my business from walk ins and referrals.

If you are having strangers come to your home, I would advise that you tell them when they are making the appointment something like, "I hope you don't mind that my husband/roommate/brother/gigantic dog will be there. They won't bother us during the reading," or something like that, to let them know you won't be all alone. If you can actually arrange for that person or critter to be there, all the better.

Also, make sure someone knows the name and contact information of the person you will be reading for. And if you get a hinky feeling while talking to this person on the phone, tell them you aren't doing readings right now, but you can get back to them if you should start up again.

I got the above information from a couple of massage therapists, a psychic, and my Hakomi therapist, all of whom are women who have people come to their homes all the time and have never had a problem. But they all emphasized heeding their intuition, and all of them have turned away potential customers if they don't feel right during the initial phone call, even if they couldn't put their finger on what didn't feel right.

Can I just ask what you mean by cold readings, though? When I've heard that term used about certain readers, it was not in a complimentary way, as they meant someone who does not really know the cards, but gains information on the sitter by conversational or body language cues. In your case, I thought you meant reading for people you don't know. Is that right?

satinangel

I started out with friends and family, actually anyone who would be a willing victim...er umm, I mean volunteer!

...Then found a small psychic fair, and moved on from there. Now, I am a member of a local co-op of like minded individuals and WE (as a group) put on 4 fairs a month in the local area.

I also, work in a coffee/shop bookstore one day a week, a cafe one day a week and do some of the larger expos now.

I did try advertising for 3 months in a meta-physical newspaper that serves 3 states...and got nothin'!

Start small and expand.

Baroli

I started out in the student union of my college reading for tips. I later

moved to doing appointment readings. Myself and the sitter would make an

appointment and I would meet them at the place and time.

HighPriestesss

Apollonia said:
I knew I didn't want people coming to my home--not so much the fear of strangers as what they would think of my housekeeping skills! Now I'm getting more comfortable with the idea, and I actually have a space in mind to use, but nothing has been done about it yet.

When I decided to start reading for others, I called a couple of metaphysical shops in the area and asked if they had reading rooms available and whether they would charge a flat room rental fee, or a percentage of my take from the readings, and within the first two phone calls I found a place that has worked out very well. I've been there for four and a half years. I have heard of readers going into beauty shops or coffee shops and finding space there to read, as well.

I don't advertise and never have. I'm sure it works well for others, but I get all my business from walk ins and referrals.

If you are having strangers come to your home, I would advise that you tell them when they are making the appointment something like, "I hope you don't mind that my husband/roommate/brother/gigantic dog will be there. They won't bother us during the reading," or something like that, to let them know you won't be all alone. If you can actually arrange for that person or critter to be there, all the better.

Also, make sure someone knows the name and contact information of the person you will be reading for. And if you get a hinky feeling while talking to this person on the phone, tell them you aren't doing readings right now, but you can get back to them if you should start up again.

I got the above information from a couple of massage therapists, a psychic, and my Hakomi therapist, all of whom are women who have people come to their homes all the time and have never had a problem. But they all emphasized heeding their intuition, and all of them have turned away potential customers if they don't feel right during the initial phone call, even if they couldn't put their finger on what didn't feel right.

Can I just ask what you mean by cold readings, though? When I've heard that term used about certain readers, it was not in a complimentary way, as they meant someone who does not really know the cards, but gains information on the sitter by conversational or body language cues. In your case, I thought you meant reading for people you don't know. Is that right?

Uh, yeah, I hear ya on the housekeeping issue! I can relate oh, so well.

Gigantic Dog?! You must be psychic! ;) I own a Saint Bernard!!

Yes, cold readings to me is the same as doing a stranger...knowing absolutely nothing about them, not even their name.

Thank you for all your advice. The town I live near could really use a metaphysical shop...maybe you planted a seed! LOL

HighPriestesss

satinangel said:
I started out with friends and family, actually anyone who would be a willing victim...er umm, I mean volunteer!

...Then found a small psychic fair, and moved on from there. Now, I am a member of a local co-op of like minded individuals and WE (as a group) put on 4 fairs a month in the local area.

I also, work in a coffee/shop bookstore one day a week, a cafe one day a week and do some of the larger expos now.

I did try advertising for 3 months in a meta-physical newspaper that serves 3 states...and got nothin'!

Start small and expand.

Yep, I've read my friends, family and neighbors and they were all willing vic..unteers as well! LOL Just today I found an ad in the local paper advertising "The She Market" which will have psychics doing readings, so I just emailed them to see if they could handle a "Tarot card reader" and explained (ahead of time) that I'm NOT psychic, but one doesn't have to be in order to read. I'm sure they'll be puzzled at that.

Maybe, like you, that will get my foot in the door to find the right circle of like-minded individuals. I think just spotting that ad, it was meant to be!

Thank you!

HighPriestesss

Baroli said:
I started out in the student union of my college reading for tips. I later

moved to doing appointment readings. Myself and the sitter would make an

appointment and I would meet them at the place and time.

"the place and time" meaning a neutral public location or their home?

214red

interesting thread! has been reading how people evolved from reading to friends to reading professionally!

good tips from you all, good luck HP!

satinangel

HighPriestesss said:
Yep, I've read my friends, family and neighbors and they were all willing vic..unteers as well! LOL Just today I found an ad in the local paper advertising "The She Market" which will have psychics doing readings, so I just emailed them to see if they could handle a "Tarot card reader" and explained (ahead of time) that I'm NOT psychic, but one doesn't have to be in order to read. I'm sure they'll be puzzled at that.

Maybe, like you, that will get my foot in the door to find the right circle of like-minded individuals. I think just spotting that ad, it was meant to be!

Thank you!

If you don't get a call back on this one, keep looking. I've been turned away from a few places! :) You will find a place! Go into it with that attitude.

If you visit a cafe, (non-chain) bookstore or coffee shop that "feels good," talk to the owner and ask if they would like a reader there once a week. All they can say is "No." ...but ya never know, they might say "YES!"