Do you wear funky 'metaphysical' attire to do readings?

HighPriestesss

Do you 'dress the part' when doing readings? Or just be 'you' and leave it at that?

Demon Goddess

HighPriestesss said:
Do you 'dress the part' when doing readings? Or just be 'you' and leave it at that?

I haven't yet, but I really want to. :) But then, I sort of want to dress like that all the time.

Umbrae

Never.

Unless that IS one's normal attire.

EDA: I've dressed as a 70's kind of person, a bartender, a bar patron, wacked out spacy guy, stock broker...

Logiatrix

I just wear my usual gear: t-shirt, jeans, sandals (or warmer shoes on a rare cold day).

The proprietor of the store where I read wants the customers to feel comfortable when they walk in, so we all tend to keep it casual and try to look like "regular" folk (whatever that is).:D
:)

Acacia

Depends on the venue. Usually I wear my normal casual business clothes and toss a flowing jacket or scarf over it.

Grizabella

I think wearing funky attire is part of the mystique that the public enjoys about having a Tarot reading. It's part of the fun and draws in those who aren't normally customers as well as those who normally come to a reader.

There are those who feel they want to appear more counselor-like and "professional" but in my opinion, that can be more pretentious than dressing in funky attire more along the lines of the Tarot reader stereotype. (Not saying everyone who chooses to dress this way is pretentious, mind you. I said it can be more pretentious.]

On the other hand, if you're the t-shirt and jeans type, go for it if you want to. Nowadays it's an open field how you should look as a reader. Follow your personality. But just don't put yourself out there as being something you're not. If you're not a professional, licensed counselor, then don't give advice as though you are or try to use the cards in such a way that you're delving into areas that are best left to a real professional in the field.

I like looking more of the stereotype. More striking and outside the box, you could say. For parties, especially around Halloween, dressing the part of the Gypsy fortune teller is fun and I think almost expected. Other than that, I like to wear black with striking jewelry and more flashy accessories faintly along Gypsy lines.

I might add, though, that modern-day Gypsies look just like anyone else for the most part, just for the record.

And I haven't done any reading for the public for about a year or more due to other life situations that came along. I never have been a real, full-time professional.

Chronata

Yep. :D

But then I wear that stuff all the time anyway!

It's sort of super costumey bohemian gypsy witch chick attire.

Works for me....

Demon Goddess

Chronata said:
Yep. :D

But then I wear that stuff all the time anyway!

It's sort of super costumey bohemian gypsy witch chick attire.

Works for me....

Will you dress me, I have a horrific sense of fashion and can't seem to put that look together to save my life. :D

starrystarrynight

Umbrae said:
EDA: I've dressed as a 70's kind of person, a bartender, a bar patron, wacked out spacy guy, stock broker...
Oh, wait...life imitating...life. I like that. :)

Baroli

No, not at all. I don't like doing that stereotypical "hippy thing" or the gypsy, or any of that stuff. My work clothes are my clothes.

However I would like to see the whacked out spacy guy }) lol.