Grail Myth in the RWS suit of Cups

Teheuti

In my latest post I illustrated Waite's version of Robert de Borron's "Metrical Romance of Joseph of Arimathea" with the RWS suit of Cups to demonstrate my thesis that this suit was specifically designed as illustrations to his version of the story, in addition to the cards also being illustrations of Tarot meanings combined from many sources. That PCS integrated so many elements is truly a work of genius.
http://marygreer.wordpress.com/

PAMUYA

Thank you, very interesting!

GreenMoonBeam

Most interesting concept.

conversus

query regarding the Knights?

Mary:

Do you associate particular Knights from the Grail cycles to particular Knights of the Suits? If so, why?

CED

Teheuti

conversus said:
Do you associate particular Knights from the Grail cycles to particular Knights of the Suits? If so, why?
Waite specifically calls the Knight of Swords Galahad. Other than that it would be speculation - for which anyone else's opinion is as good as mine.

A case could be made for the Knight of Cups as Perceval, whom Waite identifies as "the son of Alain le Gros, the grandson of Brons, and the third of that earthly trinity which was destined to possess the Graal (the first being Joseph of Arimathea).

However, the suit of Wands seems to be the story of Perceval as told by Chrétien de Troyes in Le Conte del Graal.

conversus

Thank you Mary!