Metaphysical Storefront Owners Come In! We're Open!

HighPriestesss

How many of you own a metaphysical storefront where you sell everything from tarot readings to those funky clothes?

Do you get a lot of business? Is it always the same regular customers? If you had to do it again, would you? How many employees do you have?

I don't know, the thought of this keeps bubbling in my mind, but I don't know anything about 1) running a business, 2) whereintheheck to order this weird stuff from, and 3) is there enough interest out there for it?

I didn't search for previous threads on this, so if there's a ton of info on this, I apologize ahead of time, but thank whoever supplies the link(s)! :D

Grizabella

You mean an online storefront?

I think the best advice I can give you is to learn about running a business first. You certainly don't want to just rush into something you don't know anything about because it's complicated.

I don't know, the thought of this keeps bubbling in my mind, but I don't know anything about 1) running a business,

As I said above, you really need to educate yourself as much as you can about just how to do this before you ever actually try to do it.

2) whereintheheck to order this weird stuff from,

Weird stuff? If you think it's weird, maybe you'd be getting into the wrong business. Wouldn't it be better to be developing a business involving things you're thoroughly familiar with and use and love yourself instead of thinking of them as "weird"?

and 3) is there enough interest out there for it?

It sounds like you haven't really thought this through at all. Whether or not there's enough interest for it depends on a lot of things. For instance, how much competition you'd have in your area. And what the surrounding community would think of it---how they'd react to having a metaphysical store in the neighborhood. Things like that matter a whole lot.

a metaphysical storefront where you sell everything from tarot readings to those funky clothes?

Don't you wear "those funky clothes"? It doesn't sound like it.

Maybe you're thinking that having this kind of business would just be something quick and easy to hop into and make a good living at as compared to other things. It does seem like it would be, I know. But if you delve deeper and take a better look, you'll find that it's much more complicated than you might think and that it's just like any other business----lots and lots of long hours and hard work physically, mentally, and even spiritually. Most of the money you make will go back into developing the business for the first few years and believe me, you'll make a lot of sacrifices while building up the business. Market research, a love and full understanding of the business aspect of it, a thorough knowledge of and love for the culture involved, and a great deal of experience with the use of the articles you'll be marketing to the public are essential. You have to walk the walk, as they say. If you have a life partner or spouse, there will be a great drain and stress on your relationship, too, unless your partner is as passionate about the business as you're going to have to be.

HighPriestesss

Thanks, Grizabella, for your reply! This would be a brick and mortar store.

Yeah, some of the words I chose in this thread don't quite fit my opinions or philosophy on the subject of metaphysics. I was looking at it from a customer's point of view.

Customer walks in, sees all this 'weird' stuff that's foreign to them and will either simply turn around and walk out, or shop around and find something that clicks within. (i.e., "regular customers")

Indeed there's much to think about before taking the first step. But, like the Fool, all business owners have done this...either with perfect foresight or not. As of writing this thread, I obviously haven't put myself in the Fool's footsteps yet), but inquiring minds wanted to know. LOL :D

Hopefully, having said that, my thread will make more sense.

ETA: Yes, I do have some 'funky' clothes but need more!! Can't find a shop close enough that carries them though! ;)

tarotlyn

You also need to find out about obtaining a "resale license" that would allow
you to purchase tarot decks and other metaphysical items at wholesale prices.

There is a lady I know (does readings, tarot, palm, etc) that opened her little
shop without too much trouble about 8 months ago. BUT, she is still having a
hard time getting her resale license...she says that she had one years ago
and closed it, and now she says it is much harder to get one than years
ago. (glad I kept mine active!) Without a resale license it would be hard to
operate a store, if you want to make a profit.

You could do a google for "getting a resale license"...etc.

:):heart:

HearthCricket

HighPriestesss said:
How many of you own a metaphysical storefront where you sell everything from tarot readings to those funky clothes?

Do you get a lot of business? Is it always the same regular customers? If you had to do it again, would you? How many employees do you have?

I don't know, the thought of this keeps bubbling in my mind, but I don't know anything about 1) running a business, 2) whereintheheck to order this weird stuff from, and 3) is there enough interest out there for it?

I didn't search for previous threads on this, so if there's a ton of info on this, I apologize ahead of time, but thank whoever supplies the link(s)! :D

I don't own one, but I live right near one and know the owner and manager and the other worker bees. We actually have quite a lot of Metaphysical Stores in MA, and some are similar, while others carry very different things.

Variety seems to be the ticket. Something for everyone. Sections on Christianity, Gnostic stuff, Wiccan, Witchcraft, Astrology, Numerology, Angels, Shaman, Divination, Children's books, Spirituality, Aliens, you name it. Jewelry, crystals, polished stones and rough pieces, incense, candles, statues, pendulums, tarot decks, smudge...a lot of stuff is on consignment, too. Book groups, reading and healing sessions, drumming circles....the more you add the more interest gets going. Keep prices low, stock neat, offer special ordering and see what happens. The economy is really hurting the store, right now. No one is coming in, and those that do are either faithful patrons (regulars) or an occasional stray! Everyone is saving their pennies for gas, food, heat, etc. The owner just pops in and out. The manager works 3 days a week. The other 3 workers work 1-2 days/evening a week. Small crew. The store has only been open for a few years. They actually need to get things moving....sales don't even seem to be helping. They need fresh stock.

The biggest problem I see in this store near me is that they cater to their interests, but not necessarily to the interest of the clients. They have way too much jewelry. Instead they could bring in more tarot/oracles, statuary, Dryad Designs goodies, pendulums, etc. They should also have readers during the day and be open more nights. People are working during the day and can't come in by the time they close.

As for the weird stuff....everyone seems to have a keen interest in crystals. That is in the front of the store and what you see in the windows. That and a lot of Buddhist/Hindu statuary. Wiccan things are way in the back. They need to reorganize and let the tarot and CD's be more visible. People are looking for these things and rarely walk the full length of the store before zipping back outside. As for where you order from, the trick would be to study up on the internet. Loads of places offer retail and wholesale.

Good luck!! I hope this helps some! :)

HighPriestesss

Thank you for your replies!

I had a shocker today...the nearest store to me was all packed up and vacant! Owners told me there was a problem with the lease and they got evicted!!! Until they negotiate this, they had no choice but to move everything out with hopes of moving it all right back in soon. Unbelievable! Hope they return soon!

Anyway, thanks again for your replies. After today, I really wouldn't want any part of that headache!

Wisp Wings

Well, I guess I am taking a different opinion. I love places like this and every vacation just about that I take, I try to add in checking out what that area has to offer and buy from it. This is where I differ though, I don't like to have to do a dig and search in order to find things. So many of these places even when the country has been in a better state, can't pay the staff well or have much help. As a result you find a lot of dust!

Here is what I most like to see and sense in these places. This list also won't have you spending money on every avenue out there. But I would have a sign stating that if you are looking for something, you would be happy to order it for them.

What I like to find......

First on walking in to see cleaness, and a warm friendly atmosphere form the shop and workers and to smell Incense!
Incense, candles and crystals to buy.
Tarot decks and book, bags, table covers, etc.
Books on Astrology, Auras, Reike, Chakras, Psychics, Numerology, Angels, Spirit Guides, Lightworks and Meditation. (Books on these subjects and the how-tos of it).
Small amount of jewelry if any at all.
CDs and some Art, this includes notecards and calendars too.
Reading available without booking ahead of time. I don't mean waiting 30 minutes or can you come back in an hour and a half or two hours. I mean like we only have a Reader here on Fridays and Saturdays and you have to book your date and time with him/her. Don't have the readings done out in the open where all can see and hear. Yuck! Frame out a small room for readings at the back of the store that is private. Display signs several places in the shop saying you have readings available and to inquire.

What I would really like to see more of is less shop and more readers and areas for readings. If I had the means to have a shop, I would like to do with light stock of some of the mentioned items, (not all of them) and to base it in part like Regina Russell's Tea Room. You can google this to find the site and actual watch from a live cam. For me, I would like maybe only four to six small rooms with space for just the reader and the readee. I would make the front with a picture window facing the rest of the shop and have a light veiled covering, either lacey or two or three sheers. So that it remains a tad private yet you can tell the reading is still in session. I would definitely have the clients back to the window, for no distractions and their emotions aren't on view.

HighPriestesss

Wisp Wings said:
Reading available without booking ahead of time. I don't mean waiting 30 minutes or can you come back in an hour and a half or two hours. I mean like we only have a Reader here on Fridays and Saturdays and you have to book your date and time with him/her.

This part was a little confusing to me, not that it matters. I like when one can walk in and get a reading as well, without booking an appointment.

Your whole post, items and layout details, describe the above store to a "T". It's like you own that place! Amazing! You're making me miss it even more now! :)

Wisp Wings

Sorry that wasn't clear. I just meant that I like places where you can walk in and expect at the longest you would have to wait, (without any appointment already booked), would be about 45 minutes. I can always shop and buy for this amount of time. I have seen a few places like this, but they were bigger stores and had larger staffs. I think it would be great if smaller places could have at least two readers working anytime the store is opened.

Part of that other post should have been in quotes. I was saying what is often the reply on asking for a reading. The reply being, something like, "The Reader would be available in two hours." This being because of the people ahead of you and only one person doing readings. That two hours can easily turn into three hours. If you were really wanting one that day, you could waste the day with only hoping to get in and then not.

I guess being as readings are, maybe I am dreaming, hoping for more than is realist in this sense. You do want a good reading and this takes time. Some people go over time in readings as the subject/problem requires it.

Most of the readings I've had done is booked and in advance. So most often I do know that you pretty much when I will be seen.

I was amazed that the place you loved was so much as I described. Wish I did own such a jewel of a place.