That Seinfeld Moment

frelkins

So today on the subway at 34th street, I was listening to the Spreads chapter of Dan's the Process CD on my iPhone. I unzipped my bag to get out my cards and. . .at precisely that moment a woman with a bottle of grapefruit juice got on, took a swig, tripped over an umbrella, and dumped the juice RIGHT IN MY BAG.

All over my LS Vacchetta. Yup, the cards and everything I owned was soaked.

Only in New York. So naturally I screamed a hundred curses at her. I had a bag full of grapefruit juice on my lap all the way to work.

At work I got off, ran up to the kitchenette, rinsed off everything as best I could and then looked at the cards. Stuck together, completely wet - i went to try to separate one and it began to peel in half, the front from the back. I quickly stuck it back together and wrapped it in some paper towels to dry so I could handle it without the deck coming apart.

Omigod what to do?

This is horrible - but many hours later I also see that is probably funny. Sort of. In that Seinfeld way. Help!

rwcarter

frelkins,

I don't have any words of advice, but you have my utmost sympathy. I'm not familiar with the LS Vacchetta, so don't know easily it can be replaced.

I'm not laughing with you or at you. If anything, I'm aghast.

Sounds like you could use either the Crappy Day or Make Lemonade spreads....

Hope you find a way to rescue your cards. Or if you can't rescue them, I hope a replacement is easily accessible and quite affordable.

Rodney

memries

That is an awful story frelkins. I too hope you can pull the rabbit out of the hat !

Le Fanu

Good grief, I can´t even begin to imagine how I would have reacted if that had been me. Id just go beserk. I mean, I know it´s an accident etc, but if you can see the funny side of that frelkins, then you´re more stoical than me.

Because of that woman´s carelessness, you´re probably going to have to buy a new deck.

Something to reflect on after us all having posted on that "do you carry your cards around with you" thread, and all of us saying "yes!" "in my bag!" "Wherever I go!"

I would only ever carry around a deck I have two (or more) spares of...

Alta

wow, allow me a moment of stunned silence to contemplate that!!

I don't know what I would have done. I hope the deck is a replaceable one. Good grief.

I have this theory of 'near-misses', about how things like this might have happened a million times but something diverts disaster, and suddenly all the ducks line up and the statistically improbable event occurs. Which doesn't make the recipient any happier.

Is the LS Vacchetta the one called Tarot of the Master?

My sympathies. :heart:
Alta

blackroseivy

My 1 & only "carry-around" is my keychain "Radiant" which is of course encased in plastic. I can only say REALLY sorry, & I hope that you can get it easily replaced, as was said! :(

SharonS

Le Fanu said:
I would only ever carry around a deck I have two (or more) spares of...

I usually don't carry one around with me because I read mostly at home and around my home...unless there's a special circumstance, but I definitely agree with Le Fanu. I would only carry one around that I had an extra of...just incase.
I'm so sorry about your deck, that's horrible :(. I hope you can replace it...did she even apologize to you?? I don't know how big of a bag you carry, but maybe you can put the cards themselves in a ziploc bag incase that were to happen again.
Otherwise, I don't really know how you could save them other than trying what you're already doing. After they dry, If the part that peeled up is in tact, i guess you could try spraying a thin layer of glue (like you use to baste quilts with). Of course, i'm sure there's visible watermarks from the juice, though. But i guess it's worth a try anyways.

Probably doesn't help much, but just my 2 cents worth. Hope everything goes well with it or finding another:)

~SharonS

frelkins

Thanks all for your support! Is there no hope - in anyone's experience - of salvaging these cards? Sigh.

Yes, it was the OOP LS Tarot of the Master. Double sigh. :(

HearthCricket

Mind you, I have never done this.

But....maybe you can use a hair dryer on a low setting to dry the cards out and maybe even add a bit of fanning powder to help them dry and sift apart gently, instead of ripping. That way you can lay them out flat and just let them finish by air drying them on paper towels and keep flipping them so they dry evenly.

I am with the others. Unless I have backups, my decks don't leave the house. But it certainly did sound very much like a Seinfeld moment. So, think like Kramer! :D I wish you the best of luck in salvage attempts!

Aladdin

frelkins,
i am sorry to read about that, a bit of a sod all that sticky grapefruit juice and having to flush it away before you could get on with work et al.
Better than being vomited over though which i once saw on a London underground tube train. The 'vomitee' looked up at the vomiter in a wordless Tower moment !
Probably your cards are ruined as citric acid tends to destroy even the best of glazed card / paper printings. Could it be the gods way of saying please choose and buy another deck i wonder ? Guess you must wonder 'why me' in a city of (please tell me), 8 million people ?
Just recently alcoholic bevvies have been banned on the London underground.
Would have thought all food and drink should similarly be restricted in order to help the cleaning staff, rather than one commodity.
Please forgive my ignorance but what is a "Seinfeld" ?