I am reading professionally (in public) again!

afrosaxon

Hi all,

Today I had my interview with the owner of a New Age store about 20-25 min away. The interview was for a reader position.

I used my newly replaced New Orleans Voodoo Tarot, which is the deck I'm most comfortable with (hey, you put your best foot forward in an interview!).

I ended up doing three separate readings (6 cards each) for the owner. She liked my style, had an appreciation for the NOVT, which she hadn't seen before (most people haven't. LOL), and my readings were rather accurate...so accurate that she sent me to the booking person to see what was open. She said that I was very open, informative, and "a different kind of reader".

(I can interpret that description in so many ways...:cool:)

I also mentioned that I read with oracles, and she told me to list that as a reading service as well.

My first spin will be on October 26.

Now I have to make up a flyer/brochure, get business cards, and figure out what to charge (I normally just accept donations). And I may need to offer some readings in the REading Exchanges (tarot and oracle) with the decks I don't use that much (like the Gilded and the Crystal Oracle) since they are more public-friendly.

The funny thing was...she and I both agreed that some may be scared by the NOVT, and she was very glad (and relieved) to hear that I have other decks that I read with. :D I also off

She also had never heard of the Deviant Moon and Revelations deck...but since I talked up the Deviant Moon and mentioned that Revelations is on my wish list, she is going to order them for the store. :party:

I haven't read in public for...um...8 years, not counting the readings I've given at my monthly tarot group. :bugeyed:

T.

Disa

Congratulations! I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

starrystarrynight

SUU-WEEET!!!

How is she working the financial end, if you don't mind sharing? Will you charge your rate and then give her a cut, or something like that? (Don't need particulars, like pay rates or anything like that...) Or are you being hired as an employee?

I've never worked as a reader in a store like that, so, inquiring minds want to know. You know?

Baroli

Well how cool is that!! CONGRATS!!

:thumbsup:

MysticalMoose

Wow! Congrats to you :D:D:D:D:

:party:

Hope all goes well for you & hope you will fill us in on how it goes!!!

Becki :heart:

Grizabella

That's so wonderful!!! I'm so glad for you! I think the replacement of the NOVT must have brought some really good "mojo" with it. :D

Demon Goddess

afrosaxon said:
Hi all,

Today I had my interview with the owner of a New Age store about 20-25 min away. The interview was for a reader position.

I used my newly replaced New Orleans Voodoo Tarot, which is the deck I'm most comfortable with (hey, you put your best foot forward in an interview!).

I ended up doing three separate readings (6 cards each) for the owner. She liked my style, had an appreciation for the NOVT, which she hadn't seen before (most people haven't. LOL), and my readings were rather accurate...so accurate that she sent me to the booking person to see what was open. She said that I was very open, informative, and "a different kind of reader".

(I can interpret that description in so many ways...:cool:)

I also mentioned that I read with oracles, and she told me to list that as a reading service as well.

My first spin will be on October 26.

Now I have to make up a flyer/brochure, get business cards, and figure out what to charge (I normally just accept donations). And I may need to offer some readings in the REading Exchanges (tarot and oracle) with the decks I don't use that much (like the Gilded and the Crystal Oracle) since they are more public-friendly.

The funny thing was...she and I both agreed that some may be scared by the NOVT, and she was very glad (and relieved) to hear that I have other decks that I read with. :D I also off

She also had never heard of the Deviant Moon and Revelations deck...but since I talked up the Deviant Moon and mentioned that Revelations is on my wish list, she is going to order them for the store. :party:

I haven't read in public for...um...8 years, not counting the readings I've given at my monthly tarot group. :bugeyed:

T.

Yay! Can I say I told you so, now? ;)

afrosaxon

starrystarrynight said:
SUU-WEEET!!!

How is she working the financial end, if you don't mind sharing? Will you charge your rate and then give her a cut, or something like that? (Don't need particulars, like pay rates or anything like that...) Or are you being hired as an employee?

I've never worked as a reader in a store like that, so, inquiring minds want to know. You know?

The store takes 30% of whatever I make, based on what I charge. If I don't get any clients, I don't have to pay anything. That's how it was at the store I used to read for in San Diego (the percentage part...but I think that store just got a particular dollar amount of every reading, and they set the prices).

I wish they gave some sort of store discount, even though readers aren't technically store employees, but alas...:D

T.

afrosaxon

Thx for all the good wishes.

Grizabella said:
That's so wonderful!!! I'm so glad for you! I think the replacement of the NOVT must have brought some really good "mojo" with it. :D

Yes, I think it did. I told the owner the story of the lost NOVT deck, and it's particular quirks (the extra six cards and their wish to be integrated into the deck, etc.), and she got a kick out of it. LOL

Demon Goddess said:
Yay! Can I say I told you so, now?

HA! :D

T.

Sheri

Congratulations, Afrosaxon!!!

You go, Girl! :D You'll do great there. Are you the only reader the store has? What a great opportunity for you!

:love: Sheri